ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers College

Then he ain't real bright.

His BS in Computer Science with a 3.5 GPA in his major at USNA.
His Master's Degree in Cryptology , summa cum laude, says otherwise.

"Nobody puts Baby in the corner." as I stick out my chest.

Wait. Is that the same guy that was full of himself when ill won a squeaker in 05, then ran away forever when we spanked them in 06?

What, does he only come around to see GS bring programs back from the dead...and only enjoys the dead part? Weird. Hopefully he has a short stay.

Let's see; My Dad played football and lacrosse at RU. Was a DKE there. (he showed me the house and was upset to find they no longer dressed for dinner or were served by wait staff.). He was the OL Assistant there, before he went to Vandy.
I was recruited by RU at Manlius. (the application wanted me to send in $40 bucks and write a 500 word essay, which NOBODY else wanted in those days.((special football stamp on everyone elses app in those days.).
Mad Dog was recruited from Wall and Valley Forge but he didn't have the grades.
Matt, 1st string OL, all groups, was where I first met Greg and everyone associated with the Greg Schiano staff. He went to Illinois for Coach Harry Hiestand, and we had to fly or drive 1700 miles round trip for a home game....
John only wanted NAVY. Only school he applied to from Squan.
HIs Wife, who graduated from Rutgers College, the reason for the post, met him on the beach at Squan and quit her job in NYC, sublet her apt in Hobucket and moved to Annapolis that month and they got married at USNA Chapel 3 years later.

So NOW GREG IS BACK !

Any your complaining about me ?

Reactions: RU1766
Let's see; My Dad played football and lacrosse at RU. Was a DKE there. (he showed me the house and was upset to find they no longer dressed for dinner or were served by wait staff.). He was the OL Assistant there, before he went to Vandy.
I was recruited by RU at Manlius. (the application wanted me to send in $40 bucks and write a 500 word essay, which NOBODY else wanted in those days.((special football stamp on everyone elses app in those days.).
Matt, 1st string OL, all groups, was where I first met Greg and everyone associated with the Greg Schiano staff. He went to Illinois for Coach Harry Hiestand, and we had to fly or drive 1700 miles round trip for a home game....
HIs Wife, who graduated from Rutgers College, the reason for the post, met him on the beach at Squan and quit her job in NYC, sublet her apt in Hobucket and moved to Annapolis that month and they got married at USNA Chapel 3 years later.

So NOW GREG IS BACK !

You're confusing complaining with an observation.

I graduated Rutgers College in 1973. We were the last all-male graduating class.
Slight correction. Class of 1972 was the last all male class and all male environment for their entire time at Rutgers. Women as freshman and as transfers were enrolled beginning September 1972. In other words, Rutgers College was coed your senior year.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Shoot, I guess I needed to learn my letters after all....I started MGSA and transferred to RC in the middle of my Sophomore year...didn’t think that was a big deal. I’ll look what my diploma says...I just tell people “Rutgers” and here in Texas some people still think it’s Ivy...and I tell them it can’t be if they took me! Lol!

Slight correction. Class of 1972 was the last all male class and all male environment for their entire time at Rutgers. Women as freshman and as transfers were enrolled beginning September 1972. In other words, Rutgers College was coed your senior year.
Although there were coeds enrolled in 1973, I suspect non of them graduated in the first year they were enrolled, hence all male GRADUATING class is probably a true statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU Mike73
What I stated was correct. While the school was coed, my graduating class was the last all-male class. Females were in college but no females graduated in 1973.

How would people really know how good any university they never attended is, anyway? It's all hearsay and magazine rankings.

Columbia (became Columbia Univ in 1912) // Rutgers (became Rutgers Univ in 1924)

What are the differences between Columbia College, Columbia Engineering, Barnard College and the School of General Studies?

Columbia College is Columbia's traditional undergraduate liberal arts college, its founding in 1754 as King's College marks the birth of Columbia University.
---> Rutgers College (founded as Queen's College in 1766); 200+ years later in 1969, an additional undergrad arts & sciences college, Livingston College, was formed. Both until consolidation into School of Arts & Sciences, starting in 2007.

Columbia Engineering is the University's engineering school, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees.
----> Rutgers Engineering (and, of course, several other undergrad schools including Pharmacy, SEBS (Cook), RBS, MGSA, etc)

Barnard College is a liberal arts college for women in partnership with Columbia University.
----> Douglass College, undergrad liberal arts & sciences college for women only (until consolidation into SAS in 2007); exists today only as Douglass Residential College (for women students who want to live in housing on Douglass Campus in NB and have access to resources/programs provided there)

The School of General Studies is Columbia’s college for nontraditional students who want to earn a degree while attending full- or part-time.
----> University College-New Brunswick, undergrad liberal arts & sciences college for non-traditional students (until consolidation into SAS in 2007); University College exists today only as an advising and support/resources arm for non-traditional students enrolled in SAS or one of the other undergrad schools

Internally at Columbia and probably in alumni circles, they still distinguish the schools/colleges to this day in terms of identifying affiliation for student enrollment, programming, and alumni purposes. But few others really care or bother to differentiate (or have little to no idea that such exists...much like what precipitated the OP). Except perhaps for Barnard as its affiliation with the rest of Columbia has been more quasi-independent (described above as "in partnership with").
What distinguishes Columbia College is that all of its students are required to take a two year "Contemporary Civilization" core curriculum that emcompasses readings from Plato to Nietzsche
and is taught in a very rigorous way. Only the University of Chicago has a similar requirement. Rutgers has nothing like it. So as much as we want to idealize Rutgers College, it did not have any distinctive identity that made its curriculum different from most arts and science colleges.
Some of the classes in certain departments ,eg, freshman English Composition, were rigorous, but many others were not. The engineering courses and hard science courses were something else entirely and many had the rigor of classes at MIT or Princeton.

It was a very tough school.

RC Class of 1969

Last edited:
What distinguishes Columbia College is that all of its students are required to take a two year "Contemporary Civilization" course that emcompasses readings from Plato to Nietzsche
and is taught in a very rigorous way. Only the University of Chicago has a similar requirement. Rutgers has nothing like it. So as much as we want to idealize Rutgers College, it did not have any distinctive identity that made its curriculum different from most arts and science colleges.
Some of the classes in certain departments ,eg, freshman English Composition, were rigorous, but many others were not. The engineering courses and hard science courses were something else entirely and many had the rigor of classes at MIT or Princeton.
Rutgers College did have the requirement of choosing a minor and a mini from disparate disciplines. It’s why a business school student majoring in accounting like myself wound up in Calc 2.

Back in mid 90s I told someone that I graduated from "rutgers, rutgers" (my shorthand for "Rutgers College of Rutgers University"). She looked at me like it was the weirdest thing she ever heard.

So NOW GREG IS BACK !

I remember you and your son going to Illinois. Wow, Schiano really bring back old fans.

He's USNA and though it was like Brookdale Community College in Lincroft NJ.

She was sticking up for Rutgers...

I mean, it says more about him that he doesn't know what Rutgers College means.... then it does about her going there.

If he was so smart, he would know that. Rutgers College existed until 2007. How old was your son in 2007?

I mean, it says more about him that he doesn't know what Rutgers College means.... then it does about her going there.

If he was so smart, he would know that. Rutgers College existed until 2007. How old was your son in 2007?
I love when people give resumes when they are ignorant or being a wiseass. Ps - it won’t save you from being either or both.

Since we are swapping true stories, going into the Navy game in 06, some smart ass throwing a ball with his kid pipes up to me and my dad (quiet old navy guy) - Hey I didn’t think Rutgers even HAD a football team! Without missing a beat, me back - See you’re never too old to learn!

I’m sure he enjoyed the ensuing beat down.

Reactions: BigWill
I remember you and your son going to Illinois. Wow, Schiano really bring back old fans.

..."bring back old farts"..., is more like it....

I got a Ford Excursion with a diesel and the biggest fuel tank offered.
Took out the bench third seat, folded down the middle and put a full size mattress in the back.

Left for home game with 11AM Central time start, Fri at 10PM Squan. Pit stop and refueled in Columbus Ohio, 650 miles. Arrive in Champain parking lots around 10AM +/-, 880 miles. Hotel overnight, Bob Evans breakfast with Matt, on the road Sunday morning. Pit stop Wheeling WVa, back Squan late Sun/Mon AM. 1,760 miles +/- round trip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT