ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football enters Ohio State game week as 18.5pt underdogs

I'm ok with that. And I would also be ok with a OSU-Wisc type of outcome.

And let's say it winds up more like a 35-17 type score- I don't think anyone should be embarrassed by that either.

With that said- OSU does look like it has some flaws. We need to make sure if they make the mistakes they did yesterday, we capitalize on them.

Sounds like a good starting point and I don’t see this one moving much in either direction

Actually I was thinking 28+ two weeks ago but I think this can be a closer game than anyone here thought pre season. I want us to be better than just competitive.No pressure on us but good pressure . Need 2 more wins out of next 4 .

McCord may be a less mobile QB for the Rutgers game.
If Henderson is able to run the ball similar to Wisconsin, the point spread is reasonable.

Rutgers needs to slow the OSU running game and create 3rd and long situations.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Actually I was thinking 28+ two weeks ago but I think this can be a closer game than anyone here thought pre season. I want us to be better than just competitive.No pressure on us but good pressure . Need 2 more wins out of next 4 .
I would feel better with Powell playing. We also need to figure out how to stop 2 AA type players on offense as well. Curious to see if we continue to leave Melton on an island.

I prefer this kind of OSU team to the ones of the last handful of years. Their defense is better but their offense has taken steps back. Harrison is their top weapon.

They look more like Michigan in style this year and that style is better for us. Teams that can potentially run you out of the building with offense worry me but teams like this that can “win ugly” are a better matchup for us. An ugly game can be more competitive from our standpoint.

This game will be a lot closer that many in the CFB world think. The latest B1G Power Rankings has Rutgers as the #4 ranked team. Ahead of Iowa, Maryland, etc.

After watching the game last night, I thought OSU looked better and more unstoppable than they have in the last few weeks. Granted, our team is not Wisconsin but Braelon Allen - their #1 RB - was not able to move the ball whatsoever while he was in the game. And Monangai running the ball is 90% of our offense. Also, their DBs not turning around to block the ball against Harrison is what our DBs (Longerbeam, specifically) was doing all last week. And Harrison fought off those defenders left and right.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Could be… could be not… why they play the games. Nobody thinks Ohio State can’t stop the run but we will see.

After watching the game last night, I thought OSU looked better and more unstoppable than they have in the last few weeks. Granted, our team is not Wisconsin but Braelon Allen - their #1 RB - was not able to move the ball whatsoever while he was in the game. And Monangai running the ball is 90% of our offense. Also, their DBs not turning around to block the ball against Harrison is what our DBs (Longerbeam, specifically) was doing all last week. And Harrison fought off those defenders left and right.
Huh?

This is clearly the worst OSU team in years. Very good defense but sputtering offense. They're a somewhat better version of Rutgers with a stud receiver.

This is the best chance of beating them since we've been in this conference .

Is this lowest spread we've had against them? I remember when we were 50-point dogs.

Huh?

This is clearly the worst OSU team in years. Very good defense but sputtering offense. They're a somewhat better version of Rutgers with a stud receiver.

With Henderson back, their offense looked the best it has all year yesterday. Correct that it’s nothing compared to past years but Henderson is the difference maker

see that it was 40.5 last year it shows the respect and improvement this year

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostat...vs-rutgers-betting-lines-spread-total-history

2020ColumbusOhio State (-37.5)62.5OSU - 49, Rutgers - 27
2019PiscatawayOhio State (-52)63OSU - 56, Rutgers - 21
2018ColumbusOhio State (-35)58.5OSU - 52, Rutgers - 3
2017PiscatawayOhio State (-28)54.5OSU - 56, Rutgers - 0
2016ColumbusOhio State (-39)59.5OSU - 58, Rutgers - 0
2015PiscatawayOhio State (-21.5)63.5OSU - 49, Rutgers - 7
2014ColumbusOhio State (-20.5)63.5OSU - 56, Rutgers - 17

The risk of Gavin running helps a little with Them not being able to totally focus on Kyle. We have to trust our OC and DC have used the bye week to plan against their key players and what to do if they load the box. I believe we beat the spread.

McCord is a very inaccurate thrower and prone to fumbling. Easily the worst QB since Joe Bauserman in 2011. Ohio State is punting on ~60% of drives. With that said MH Jr and Henderson are so good they can win the game despite that.

not a bad spread given what we know about the teams

I think we go down 34-10 give or take

Huh?

love your optimism but the reality is that we don't match up with them at many key positions.

We lose, it's just a matter of keeping it respectable

McCord is a very inaccurate thrower and prone to fumbling. Easily the worst QB since Joe Bauserman in 2011. Ohio State is punting on ~60% of drives. With that said MH Jr and Henderson are so good they can win the game despite that.
McCord has a 64.1 completion percentage and 14 TD to 3 INT for 231 attempts. That is the highest completion percentage in the B1G for the top 15 passers, other than JJ McCarthy. Are you saying that his WRs make up for his deficiencies?

I prefer this kind of OSU team to the ones of the last handful of years. Their defense is better but their offense has taken steps back. Harrison is their top weapon.

They look more like Michigan in style this year and that style is better for us. Teams that can potentially run you out of the building with offense worry me but teams like this that can “win ugly” are a better matchup for us. An ugly game can be more competitive from our standpoint.
The OSU defense might be the best in the country. Many of their fans are claiming that this is the best OSU defense since the early Tressel years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The OSU defense might be the best in the country. Many of their fans are claiming that this is the best OSU defense since the early Tressel years.
I think it is very good. I think it’s capable of strangling our offense which isn’t too potent and relies heavily on a ground game. Their offense isn’t as good though and can struggle and is still inconsistent at times. Right now McCord isn’t as good as Stroud.

So it has the potential to be an “ugly” type of game and imo that’s a more preferable fight to one where their offense is extremely productive and potent and can run us out of the building. It doesn’t mean a lopsided score isn’t still possible but the chances are better imo with one type of matchup vs another.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Several grouchy comments from purportedly tOSU fans in this post game video, mostly at McCord (#FreeTheBackupQB!!!) :

"MCCORD had a sloppy start. And, that’s being extremely nice about it. McCord played today like we all thought he’d play like 5 games ago. McCord’s turnover led to JT being injured. He’s scared, rushed, anxiety-ridden, and he’s now getting teammates hurt. And, he’s literally getting worse with each passing week. McCord hasn’t learned anything from Day 1, hence all the mistakes today. There’s not a player on this team that can make up for how horrible McCord is at this point."
Defense has been looking good! Offense still a work in progress (McCord). Special teams play looks a bit sloppy to me. Returns missed tackles, but the good thing is they have time to get all that fixed before they go to the "big out house"
"I'm so sick of this turd of a QB we have. It driving me crazy. He sucks so bad and I'm sick of the excuses for him. 'm also tired of the media skirting the issue when they know he sucks but won't just say it directly because they are afraid oof how Ohio State will take the criticism. We literally have the entire stable of skilled guys back from last years (1st, 2nd and 3rd stringers...literally all oof them) team and they are a year older so they are better but our brain dead QB cant get them the ball with the exception of MHJ."
"Defense great. Offense great. Kyle McCord not great. Horrible decisions. Looks like he is trying to throw the game. I can’t keep quiet anymore. Bench McCord he is not a good QB and will never be drafted to NFL."

McCord has a 64.1 completion percentage and 14 TD to 3 INT for 231 attempts. That is the highest completion percentage in the B1G for the top 15 passers, other than JJ McCarthy. Are you saying that his WRs make up for his deficiencies?
Yes, he is lucky he is throwing to two 1st round NFL WR freaks and an NFL TE because most of his balls are either high or behind. Every 6th or 7th throw is so nice you wonder how he is so bad most of the time until you watch his feet. He has terrible footwork and pocket presence (a lot of his sacks are his fault, doesn't climb the pocket... etc). So his problems are fixable, but he has looked the same all year so I'm not holding my breath on that.

I think it is very good. I think it’s capable of strangling our offense which isn’t too potent and relies heavily on a ground game. Their offense isn’t as good though and can struggle and is still inconsistent at times. Right now McCord isn’t as good as Stroud.

So it has the potential to be an “ugly” type of game and imo that’s a more preferable fight to one where their offense is extremely productive and potent and can run us out of the building. It doesn’t mean a lopsided score isn’t still possible but the chances are better imo with one type of matchup vs another.
Random thoughts: (using overall and Wisconsin for comparison (although different QB):

Sacks- Ohio State and Rutgers are tied for sacks on season with 16, Wisconsin has 22.
Against Wisconsin, Rutgers allowed 1 sack, and had 2 sacks. Ohio State- allowed 4 sacks and had 2 sacks.

Passing yards/game:
Rutgers, Ohio State ranked 2 and 3.
Against Wisconsin, Rutgers gave up 145 passing yards, and Gavin had 181 passing yards (Simon 30), 1 INT;
Ohio State gave up 165 passing yards, and McCord had 226 passing yards, 2 INT

Rushing yards/game:
Ohio State allows 99.8 yards/game, Rutgers 120.6

Against Wisconsin- Rutgers gave up 213 Rushing yards (50 to Mordecai), Ohio State gave up 94 rushing yards (Allen was hurt early in 1st half); Ohio State rushed for 181 yards, and Rutgers rushed for 64.

This is one of those games that the crowd can make a big difference. IF the stadium is close to full AND our fans are as loud as we have been in a long time, WE the fans can make a difference.
My hope is that somehow we can eke out a win, but if we keep a loss within two scores, that would be great. Let’s go RU, let’s wipe that smug smile right off Ryan Day’s face.

Several grouchy comments from purportedly tOSU fans in this post game video, mostly at McCord (#FreeTheBackupQB!!!) :

"MCCORD had a sloppy start. And, that’s being extremely nice about it. McCord played today like we all thought he’d play like 5 games ago. McCord’s turnover led to JT being injured. He’s scared, rushed, anxiety-ridden, and he’s now getting teammates hurt. And, he’s literally getting worse with each passing week. McCord hasn’t learned anything from Day 1, hence all the mistakes today. There’s not a player on this team that can make up for how horrible McCord is at this point."
Defense has been looking good! Offense still a work in progress (McCord). Special teams play looks a bit sloppy to me. Returns missed tackles, but the good thing is they have time to get all that fixed before they go to the "big out house"
"I'm so sick of this turd of a QB we have. It driving me crazy. He sucks so bad and I'm sick of the excuses for him. 'm also tired of the media skirting the issue when they know he sucks but won't just say it directly because they are afraid oof how Ohio State will take the criticism. We literally have the entire stable of skilled guys back from last years (1st, 2nd and 3rd stringers...literally all oof them) team and they are a year older so they are better but our brain dead QB cant get them the ball with the exception of MHJ."
"Defense great. Offense great. Kyle McCord not great. Horrible decisions. Looks like he is trying to throw the game. I can’t keep quiet anymore. Bench McCord he is not a good QB and will never be drafted to NFL."

That old truism in college football, the most popular player on the team is the 2nd string QB.

In their 8 games, OSU has only scored more than 40 points twice. But for our game, Henderson, Egbuka, and Harrison all play, as opposed to many games when they only had Harrison.
I'd be satisfied if we hold them under 40 points. If they were missing Henderson and Egbuka, we'd likely hold them under 30 points.

As for our offense, I think this shapes up similar to Michigan. It's going to be tough to get more than 10 points. So based on my comments, you can see I think the spread is way off. To me, 31-10 is a best case scenario and that's still more than the spread. Hopefully I'm wrong.

On the plus side, I think the tailgating will be the best you can get out of a noon start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT