ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Football, The Neilsons and America

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
The day after his 90th birthday, James Neilson (pronounced nel-son), Rutgers Class of 1866, reminisced in the November 18, 1934 Sunday Times of New Brunswick, “We didn’t have football when I was a student at Rutgers. When Rutgers and Princeton played the first intercollegiate football game in 1869 I was traveling in Europe, or I might have been on the sidelines….As a student, I did organize a crew but every time a match was arranged, they left me off. Well, I guess all those athletes have passed on but I am still around." He also served 51 years on the Board of Trustees and died the oldest Rutgers alumnus at 92 -- just 20 months before the 1938 Rutgers Stadium opening that superceded his namesake venue Neilson Field.

His grandfather was Colonel John Neilson who received and read a government approved document to the townspeople that would instantly make anyone who agreed with it (and there were many that day) guilty of treason. New Brunswick would follow readings in Philadelphia and Trenton in the days after a rider was sent out of town from Philadelphia to deliver the document. According to the October 13, 1916 Targum, a platform was erected in front of Cochrane’s Tavern at the corner of today’s Albany and Neilson Streets (not too far from the site of the first Queen’s College classes held five years earlier). Neilson began to read the words from the document (actually done in front of the nearby Christ Church) to the townspeople on July 9, 1776. He began, “When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which has connected them to another…”

th

Colonel Neilson's obituary in the April 3, 1832 Times of New Brunswick added that after he read the Declaration of Independence, “At the conclusion he was greeted with loud huzzas by so great a majority, that the opponents of the measure did not dare to avow themselves.”

Neilson was also one of 40 representatives of the people and counties of New Jersey for “ascent and ratification” of the Constitution of the United States and the last survivor of that group.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Delaware was the first state to sign the Declaration of Independence but New Jersey was the first state to ratify the Constitution of the United States.

Soooo.. what you are saying is that, at one time, New Jersey politicians actually DID SOMETHING GOOD?.. and in a timely fashion?

Damn, I think Source is actually wrong about something. Of course, it was before there was Rutgers football, so perhaps that's why.

There was no "first state" to sign the Declaration of Independence, which was signed by most members of the Second Contintental Congress on Aug. 2, 1776. Delaware was the first state to ratify the Constitution on Dec. 7, 1787. New Jersey was third, on Dec. 18. (Pennsylvania was in between, on Dec. 12.) That's why Delaware calls itself "The First State."

And don't worry, Good Ol', they didn't think of themselves as "politicians" back then, so I think the record remains intact.

Reactions: 17Q66
And don't worry, Good Ol', they didn't think of themselves as "politicians" back then, so I think the record remains intact.

Don't kid yourself. They were politicians and every bit as nasty about it as many are today. True statesmen and patriots and public servants who put the public first are very rare in any age. But the main difference is that the old guys wanted to win to do what they thought best for the country.. and today, especially in New Jersey, these guys and gals want to win to do what's best for themselves.

Last edited:
Well... whaddya know!

"July 4, 2017 NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - At noon on Sunday, July 9, New Brunswick officials will be unveiling a life-sized bronze statue in Monument Square of Col. John Neilson, commander of the local militia during the Revolutionary War. Perfect timing for city officials to note that the Fourth of July holiday was first celebrated in New Brunswick by direct order of Gen. George Washington...."

Rest of story at:
https://www.tapinto.net/towns/new-b...rth-of-july-celebrated-first-in-new-brunswick

Damn, I think Source is actually wrong about something. Of course, it was before there was Rutgers football, so perhaps that's why.

There was no "first state" to sign the Declaration of Independence, which was signed by most members of the Second Contintental Congress on Aug. 2, 1776. Delaware was the first state to ratify the Constitution on Dec. 7, 1787. New Jersey was third, on Dec. 18. (Pennsylvania was in between, on Dec. 12.) That's why Delaware calls itself "The First State."

I sit corrected. I have removed the offensive untruth. Thanks for your patriotic historical accuracy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT