ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers gives big raises, extensions to top assistants Fran Brown, Sean Gleeson

Going by a December article in the USA Today about Assistant Coach salaries, $1 million would bump up Gleeson from 48th to 24th in CFB. Brown's $650k from 127th to around 100th. Figure 2021 shouldn't be all that much different but not sure.

How
Well said.
Where are the Holloway haters? Complaining about attendance at a soccer game they weren’t gonna go to anyway
How about Hollowhead allowing more “paying” fans into Rutgers Stadium to generate more revenue to help pay for these higher salaries.... tickets , parking, concessions, etc.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
I expect Gleeson to be getting HC looks from mid-majors before the 2022 season starts, if RU's O preforms well this year..

My #1 concern/worry is who replaces OC SG.
Same as you, I think he gets buzz after this year for a lower HC role.
Hopefully he stays for 2022 to work with Gavin Wimsatt.

Defense will be fine as long as Schiano is here.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Yea he just laid off and furloughed professors but he came up with money for this. You can't possibly believe that? If you do, this would be the biggest scandal since Mike Rice. NJ.com and all the usual vultures would have 10 articles out on it already. Boosters ponying up there is no story, which is why there are no stories.
If we make it through Mothers Day and Memorial Day without an nj.com hatchet piece, I'll be a believer.

My #1 concern/worry is who replaces OC SG.
Same as you, I think he gets buzz after this year for a lower HC role.
Hopefully he stays for 2022 to work with Gavin Wimsatt.

Defense will be fine as long as Schiano is here.
I think SG stays through the 2023 season. I am speculating that he is happy with the salary increase, is enjoying learning how to build a program under HCGS, and if Rutgers has a dynamic offense the next three seasons his stock will go up tremendously. He and his wife are both NJ natives and have significant family and friend ties to NJ. He will eventually become a head coach but for now I think he is happy with the stability he has at RU.

Imagine the taxes he will owe? 39% is 390,000 and other taxes will easily top 400,000 so he will net less than 600,000 out of $1,000,000.00.

Imagine the taxes he will owe? 39% is 390,000 and other taxes will easily top 400,000 so he will net less than 600,000 out of $1,000,000.00.

Well as we are already into May I'd say there is a 98% chance that the rate for '21 is 37%, which of course covers all 50 states. And if he wants to stay in the Northeast for family reasons the only large difference at the state level would apply if he took a HC job at Dartmouth or UNH.

If you hit control P before the pay wall pops up you can read the article.
Where is that on my iPhone? LOL

Someone also said that if you type the headline into a search engine like Google it works like that too.

Last edited:
Reactions: gef21
Where is that on my iPhone? LOL

Someone also said that if you type in the headline into a search engine like Google it works like that too.
There probably is a print command on a phone, but that answer I do not have. haha

I believe it’s already happened. It’s not the Ledger but it’s close...

That was before the salary increases of RU's assistant coaches and Holloway deserves heat for that idiotic move to not have an in person grad ceremony.

Reactions: czxqa
Ummm for the Season.
And a good starting point would be for the May 20th Spring Game.
Even at 20% of Capacity would be far below current NJ guidelines and we are not even close to that.
Lol . You’re theory of raising revenue at the spring game to pay for higher salaries may be of the more absurd things on this board. True fans know the parking and admission is free or donated to charity . The event is probably a loss from a revenue standpoint in the best of years

Reactions: TRU2RU and RUSK97
Lol . You’re theory of raising revenue at the spring game to pay for higher salaries may be of the more absurd things on this board. True fans know the parking and admission is free or donated to charity . The event is probably a loss from a revenue standpoint in the best of years

‘No I am raising the absurdity of the self imposed restrictions by a clueless Rutgers President and its potential impact on the Athletic Department finances. Most on this Board understand this.

How

How about Hollowhead allowing more “paying” fans into Rutgers Stadium to generate more revenue to help pay for these higher salaries.... tickets , parking, concessions, etc.

‘No I am raising the absurdity of the self imposed restrictions by a clueless Rutgers President and its potential impact on the Athletic Department finances. Most on this Board understand this.

no . You were quite clear in using the spring game as a revenue raiser in relation to the coaching raises . That is what this thread is about , not attendance in the fall . You are wrong in your thoughts that the spring game is a big revenue boost . You were clearly wrong

State of NJ will take another $78,000 (Pennsylvania would only take $31,000).
NJ also does not allow a write off for charitable donations. NJ also does not allow excluding capital gains on sales of vacation homes.

Love living in this state, but the taxes and exclusions are ridiculous.

NJ also does not allow excluding capital gains on sales of vacation homes.
Neither does any other state. Where New Jersey is "unique" is that it does not allow the $3000 deduction of capital losses if you have a rough year in the stock market and even more "unique" does not allow the carryforward on excess losses like the feds do. Over your lifetime it is entirely possible that New Jersey will tax you on MORE than 100% of capital gains you recognized over the years.

Reactions: patk89
The tax rate is progressive so the first 20k will be 10%, next 60 will be 12%, etc. So he will pay 300k in federal taxes. Even then, I would not be surprised if his tax bill does go close to 400k if you include property and state taxes. Love the state and the education system and all that, but something has to give. Such high rates and still piling on the debt is not a sustainable trend.

I think SG stays through the 2023 season. I am speculating that he is happy with the salary increase, is enjoying learning how to build a program under HCGS, and if Rutgers has a dynamic offense the next three seasons his stock will go up tremendously. He and his wife are both NJ natives and have significant family and friend ties to NJ. He will eventually become a head coach but for now I think he is happy with the stability he has at RU.
I think this staff stays intact ( for the most part) until we peak. I think the sky is the limit and Rutgers becomes a perennial top twenty program. My prediction on any given year we venture into the top ten!

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Spring game profit help pay for raises.?
You are right to laugh at that idea.

Winning probably will pay for the raises and future raises Schiano's assistants get and what the HC is given.
You can expect once people start seeing wins , empty seats will be filled and season tickets will be purchased by more fans.
That will bring in the revenue that pays for the football program's ability to pay the talent assistants what it takes for them top stay and pay a starting salary that can bring in quality replacements for the coaches that leave.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
I hope both stay on the staff for the foreseeable future. But if not , Rutgers has finally shown a financial commitment to get the best talent to support the head coach. And that speaks well for the future. Whoever ultimately succeeds Schiano will know that the administration not only talks the talk but will do the walk to compete at the highest levels in Big Ten. And because of that, a Rutgers head coaching position will be much more coveted and will attract far more top candidates whenever the search happens.

State of NJ will take another $78,000 (Pennsylvania would only take $31,000).
NJ also does not allow a write off for charitable donations. NJ also does not allow excluding capital gains on sales of vacation homes.

Love living in this state, but the taxes and exclusions are ridiculous.
Why should selling a vacation home be excluded from cap gains tax?

Reactions: Greg2020
What does that do?
Not sure about him, but on my computer, it automatically order hookers and blow take out from the nearest supplier.

I'll leave it to everybody's imagination why I choose "P" for that.

Well said.
Where are the Holloway haters? Complaining about attendance at a soccer game they weren’t gonna go to anyway
well done with the troll. it's not possible you actually believe the school paid. you would be too dumb to turn the computer on.

no . You were quite clear in using the spring game as a revenue raiser in relation to the coaching raises . That is what this thread is about , not attendance in the fall . You are wrong in your thoughts that the spring game is a big revenue boost . You were clearly wrong

What’s your obsession with the Spring Game ? It’s the message the RU President is sending to the RU fans. Be prepared for restrictions on attendance in the Fall. Does wonders for for building a fanbase and revenue into the program.

What’s your obsession with the Spring Game ? It’s the message the RU President is sending to the RU fans. Be prepared for restrictions on attendance in the Fall. Does wonders for for building a fanbase and revenue into the program.
You brought up the spring game . Not me . Then you were informed the spring game was not a revenue booster because you somehow failed to realize that . It’s only been that way ...forever . You keep digging a hole for yourself here.

But Gleeson can still leave with zero penalty if he gets a HC position. I was hoping with one of the highest salaries in the B1G, RU could have had some control over him leaving.

“There is no penalty if Gleeson leaves after the final regular season game in 2023, and any penalty will be waived if he becomes an FBS or NFL head coach.”

Reactions: Greg2020
But Gleeson can still leave with zero penalty if he gets a HC position. I was hoping with one of the highest salaries in the B1G, RU could have had some control over him leaving.

“There is no penalty if Gleeson leaves after the final regular season game in 2023, and any penalty will be waived if he becomes an FBS or NFL head coach.”

That's 2 more full seasons and doesn't include a FCS head coaching position. Any up and coming OC would be nuts if he didn't insist on that. And leaving out the FCS makes it fair for Rutgers.

That's 2 more full seasons and doesn't include a FCS head coaching position. Any up and coming OC would be nuts if he didn't insist on that. And leaving out the FCS makes it fair for Rutgers.

FCS head coaches don’t make $1M a year.

The statement says all penalties are waved if it is an FBS head coaching job. So he can leave anytime he wants - the 2023 part is only for non head coaching jobs. I wish RU could have had a more solid 2 year commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT