ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Jumps 13 spots in US News

Jan 18, 2015
Rutgers
From 69th to 56th. Beating Penn State (59th), every other school in NJ sans Princeton, and 5th in the B1G. Tied with Ohio State and Purdue. And we're # 17 for top public schools.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rutgers-new-brunswick-6964

Not only that but if you take out the UC schools (6 of them in front of us) we jump to #11 in top public schools. Michigan, UNC, GTech, Florida, William and Mary, Georgia, University of Illinois, University of Texas, University of Wisconsin. That's 3 B1G schools in the top 10, and then 3 more tied for 11th. ACC: 2. SEC: 2. Big 12: 1. CAA: 1. B1G: 6. Not too shabby.

Some other interesting\relevant (national) rankings:
Uconn tied with UMD at #63.
UDel at #89 (tied with Iowa), and below Howard.
Syracuse #53
Northwestern #10
Penn State is tied with SMU at #59
NJIT at #106
Rowan at #171 (#91 for public schools)
TCNJ is not considered on the list.

You may or may not have seen my posts about how fake the us news rankings are, and they continue to be dumb, but people still believe them, and perception is really important.

Hope we continue to rise!

Last edited:
Very good news from that rag----finally. We have moved back up in the rankings in several prestigious world publications where their methodology isn't filled out by a president's secretary. US News is beginning to finally recognize what the world rankings have seen over the last decade. It's nice to finally see us up where we used to always be ranked higher than Penn State, Maryland and UCONN. I would like to see us up in the 40's and consistently stay there.

The other good news is this ranking now has us in the upper echelon of the B1G's academic rankings. Obviously Northwestern is the highest ranked followed by Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin. But Rutgers is now tied for fifth with Purdue and Ohio State.

Last edited:
Looked it up - they added a social mobility factor.

That explains that.

Fantastic news. Next up is getting into the 40s. Can anyone fill in the blanks below?

Rutgers US news rankings
1996 #45, #12 public
1997 # ?
1998 #16 public
1999 # ?
2000 #22 public
2001 #24 public
2002 # ?
2003 # ?
2004 #58/60?
2005 #58
2006 #60
2007 #60
2008 # ?
2009 #64
2010 # ?
2011 # ?
2012 # ?, #24 public
2013 #69, #25 public
2014 #70
2015 #72
2016 #70
2017 #69, #25 public
2018 #56, #17 public

Wow, this is awesome. I hate this ranking, it elevates mediocre teaching schools over R1 powerhouses, and it penalizes public schools profoundly, but it's hard to argue about its influence. And it's so good to be ahead of State Penn in this! First time in ages. Who knows where we'll be next year (never trust the methodology), but this is great news.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Very good news from that rag----finally. We have moved back up in the rankings in several prestigious world publications where their methodology isn't filled out by a president's secretary. US News is beginning to finally recognize what the world rankings have seen over the last decade. It's nice to finally see us up where we used to always be ranked higher than Penn State, Maryland and UCONN. I would like to see us up in the 40's and consistently stay there.

The other good news is this ranking now has us in the upper echelon of the B1G's academic rankings. Obviously Northwestern is the highest ranked followed by Michigan. But Rutgers is now tied for third with Purdue and Ohio State.

Wisconsin and Illinois are ahead of us as well, but not by much. I'll take it.

#17 public school in America, #5 in the B1G are very noteworthy and RU should be screaming it from the rooftops.

Reactions: RU MAN
As I suggested on the other thread, a good deal of the difference between this and last year may be explained by a change in U.S. News's methodology.

Wisconsin and Illinois are ahead of us as well, but not by much. I'll take it.

#17 public school in America, #5 in the B1G are very noteworthy and RU should be screaming it from the rooftops.
You're right. My mistake. (i'll edit my post.) But it's nice to finally see us where we used to be for decades. I still don't get the love affair this rag has with Syracuse. They used to always be ranked lower than us, but not over the last decade.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
As I suggested on the other thread, a good deal of the difference between this and last year may be explained by a change in U.S. News's methodology.
And it's about time they added that new methodology, which is now similar to other ranking publications. Oh and BTW Cam, UCLA for the first time in memory passed Berkeley as the number one public university at #19 followed by Berkeley at #22 (private schools in between).

And it's about time they added that new methodology, which is now similar to other ranking publications. Oh and BTW Cam, UCLA for the first time in memory passed Berkeley as the number one public university at #19 followed by Berkeley at #22 (private schools in between).

I know that UCLA attracts more applicants than Berkeley (a similarly-sized campus) perhaps in part because most Californians are in the southern part of the state, and in part because Westwood is a nicer place to go to school than Berkeley with its street people and desolate shopping area near campus. Some of my fellow Berkeley grads refer to UCLA as "the University of California for Lesser Achievers," but they are wrong. I have never thought that one campus was superior to the other for undergrads; it's at the graduate school level where Berkeley made its mark.

That phony high school counselor and administrator opinion part of the ranking was absurd. I’m glad they reduced its value.

I know that UCLA attracts more applicants than Berkeley (a similarly-sized campus) perhaps in part because most Californians are in the southern part of the state, and in part because Westwood is a nicer place to go to school than Berkeley with its street people and desolate shopping area near campus. Some of my fellow Berkeley grads refer to UCLA as "the University of California for Lesser Achievers," but they are wrong. I have never thought that one campus was superior to the other for undergrads; it's at the graduate school level where Berkeley made its mark.
I just found it interesting that US News now ranks UCLA above Berkeley. And you're right about applications. UCLA received 114,000 while Berkeley received 95,000. My son did not get into either. He got into Davis, Santa Cruz and Riverside. Believe it or not, he chose Riverside, because they gave him a scholarship, placed him in their honors college, and he has a real chance of getting into their new medical school. Personally, I wanted him to go to Davis, but I know he had a few friends going to Riverside and he felt more comfortable there. Riverside was his safety school, but he seemed fine with it and I think being seven hours away (Davis) intimidated him, even though if he had gotten into Berkeley, he would have gone. To give you an idea how absurd it was this year, my son had a 4.5 weighted GPA (3.75 unweighted) and an SAT score of 1340. His good friend is going to UCLA, who had a 4.8 weighted GPA (3.9 unweighted) with a 1540 SAT score out of 1600. That's what UCLA expects now and they can be as picky. This year they only admitted 14 percent.

I just found it interesting that US News now ranks UCLA above Berkeley. And you're right about applications. UCLA received 114,000 while Berkeley received 95,000. My son did not get into either. He got into Davis, Santa Cruz and Riverside. Believe it or not, he chose Riverside, because they gave him a scholarship, placed him in their honors college, and he has a real chance of getting into their new medical school. Personally, I wanted him to go to Davis, but I know he had a few friends going to Riverside and he felt more comfortable there. Riverside was his safety school, but he seemed fine with it and I think being seven hours away (Davis) intimidated him, even though if he had gotten into Berkeley, he would have gone. To give you an idea how absurd it was this year, my son had a 4.5 weighted GPA (3.75 unweighted) and an SAT score of 1340. His good friend is going to UCLA, who had a 4.8 weighted GPA (3.9 unweighted) with a 1540 SAT score out of 1600. That's what UCLA expects now and they can be as picky. This year they only admitted 14 percent.

I wish your son well at Riverside. His choice sounds very reasonable to me. Yes, UCLA is drawing a lot more applications these days for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

I wish your son well at Riverside. His choice sounds very reasonable to me. Yes, UCLA is drawing a lot more applications these days for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Thanks. At first I was angry with the whole application process, because my son wondered, "Why did I work so hard? I could have slacked off and gone to a community college and then transferred into UCLA or Berkeley." He now realizes as do I that what's important is not which UC school he goes to, but rather getting into a U.S. medical school, which is his goal. He actually has a better shot than someone going to another UC school trying to apply to UCR medical school. Last year UCR had 60 students. Of those 60 students, 24 are automatically accepted from UCR. The other 34 students are selected from 6,500 applications. It is absolutely crazy at how difficult it is to get into medical school, especially a UC medical school. Oh, and if he had gone to Davis and then applied to their medical school, it would be more difficult coming from Davis to apply to Davis medical school. And it would be more difficult to apply to UCR medical school from Davis as well.

Thanks. At first I was angry with the whole application process, because my son wondered, "Why did I work so hard? I could have slacked off and gone to a community college and then transferred into UCLA or Berkeley." He now realizes as do I that what's important is not which UC school he goes to, but rather getting into a U.S. medical school, which is his goal. He actually has a better shot than someone going to another UC school trying to apply to UCR medical school. Last year UCR had 60 students. Of those 60 students, 24 are automatically accepted from UCR. The other 34 students are selected from 6,500 applications. It is absolutely crazy at how difficult it is to get into medical school, especially a UC medical school. Oh, and if he had gone to Davis and then applied to their medical school, it would be more difficult coming from Davis to apply to Davis medical school. And it would be more difficult to apply to UCR medical school from Davis as well.

I hope for his sake that UCR's favorable treatment of home students continues. It sounds like a good way of attracting excellent students. As for community college, it's not as enjoyable an experience as college, and there is no guarantee that he would be accepted by UCLA or Berkeley following community college. He's making the right choice, even if he decides later to pursue something other than medicine.

Reactions: Tararua
I hope for his sake that UCR's favorable treatment of home students continues. It sounds like a good way of attracting excellent students. As for community college, it's not as enjoyable an experience as college, and there is no guarantee that he would be accepted by UCLA or Berkeley following community college. He's making the right choice, even if he decides later to pursue something other than medicine.
Camden, thanks. I agree with everything you said. Plus, he did NOT want to go to community college. He also understands that if medicine is not in the stars for him, he could go into research, but that would require a PhD, which he understands.

As for Riverside keeping the program of admitting so many UCR students, it was one of the prerequisites for opening the medical school. I think those that get in through Riverside will commit to practice in the Riverside area for a few years after their residency.

Good for him and best of luck! One of my friends from HS went to Cornell undergrad and then RWJ for med school. We always joked it was ironic that RU was the primary feeder for his med school, and Cornell the primary feeder for my law school.

That's crazy about the 1540 at UCLA. I knew someone with a 1600 at RU but he had a B average.

Good for him and best of luck! One of my friends from HS went to Cornell undergrad and then RWJ for med school. We always joked it was ironic that RU was the primary feeder for his med school, and Cornell the primary feeder for my law school.

That's crazy about the 1540 at UCLA. I knew someone with a 1600 at RU but he had a B average.
Thanks. My son's HS had 10 go to Berkeley and 12 go to UCLA. It's a public HS, but in an affluent town, and my son is not only competing with the rest of the state, but with his HS peers. The one who got a 1540 received a perfect score on his math and a 740 on verbal. Crazy. The others in his HS class that got into the aforementioned schools all averaged over 1400 on the SAT's.

As for feeder schools the UC medical schools have the ivies and the UC schools competing for the limited spots. I know you went to Fordham law school, am I right? And I can see how graduates of schools like Cornell would be sending a lot of their graduates to a great law school like Fordham. That's why for my son it made sense to go to UCR. He has a better than average chance of getting into their medical school.

Last edited:
Thanks. My son's HS had 10 go to Berkeley and 12 go to UCLA. It's a public HS, but in an affluent town, and my son is not only competing with the rest of the state, but with his HS peers. The one who got a 1540 received a perfect score on his math and a 740 on verbal. Crazy. The others in his HS class that got into the aforementioned schools all averaged over 1400 on the SAT's.

As for feeder schools the UC medical schools have the ivies and the UC schools competing for the limited spots. I know you went to Fordham law school, am I right? And I can see how graduates of schools like Cornell would be sending a lot of their graduates to a great law school like Fordham. That's why for my son it made sense to go to UCR. He has a better than average chance of getting into their medical school.
Do any schools give scholarship for medical school?

Do any schools give scholarship for medical school?
Dave, that I don't know. I think from what I read at UCR medical school, they will give partial scholarships but not full rides. Maybe with NYU giving out full scholarships, maybe that will have a positive effect on other medical schools doing something similar including UC medical schools in the very near future.

Good memory!

Wow, this is awesome. I hate this ranking, it elevates mediocre teaching schools over R1 powerhouses, and it penalizes public schools profoundly, but it's hard to argue about its influence. And it's so good to be ahead of State Penn in this! First time in ages. Who knows where we'll be next year (never trust the methodology), but this is great news.

Agree 100%!

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
An important outcome of these new rankings - Rutgers is the top ranked public university in the Northeast.

That should give pause to every New Jersey high school senior applying to Penn State, Stony Brook, Delaware or Maryland.

I love this marketing strategy and this also should be all over our marketing materials. Don't forget higher than UConn and Pitt as well.

Reactions: Scarlet Craig
An important outcome of these new rankings - Rutgers is the top ranked public university in the Northeast.

That should give pause to every New Jersey high school senior applying to Penn State, Stony Brook, Delaware or Maryland.

But our football team stinks...why would anyone want to come here?!? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have to go as far as Virginia (UVa) to the south, and Michigan (UMich) to the west before you get to higher ranked public schools. And Rutgers-NB continues to outrank VPISU (aka VT) and MSU in those two states as well. Not too shabby.

Hope Rutgers can sustain this in the coming years.

Exactly...I think a realistic tier for RU is with Illinois and Wisconsin...just under UVA/UM/UNC/Berkeley/UCLA which are a set of their own academically.

Exactly...I think a realistic tier for RU is with Illinois and Wisconsin...just under UVA/UM/UNC/Berkeley/UCLA which are a set of their own academically.

I don't know about U.S. NEWS, but I can tell you that Wisconsin has always had a far better reputation than Illinois. So I'm not sure what it means to be in the same tier as them. Anyway, we should all refrain from getting too excited about these BS ratings.

Wisconsin has always had a far better reputation than Illinois

Is this because of the research prowess of UW-Madison? UIUC is no slouch either but not nearly at the same level. My impression is that UIUC's reputation appears to be greater in the hard sciences and engineering, where it has a Top 5-10 reputation, particularly in a couple of the major engineering disciplines.

Another observation is that UIUC seems to suffers a bit more than its peers from an in-state stigma (sound familiar to those of us who know Rutgers' challenges?), which might be more accentuated in the more densely populated and wealthy areas (Chicago and its suburbs) compared to other parts of the state.

Is this because of the research prowess of UW-Madison? UIUC is no slouch either but not nearly at the same level. My impression is that UIUC's reputation appears to be greater in the hard sciences and engineering, where it has a Top 5-10 reputation, particularly in a couple of the major engineering disciplines.

Another observation is that UIUC seems to suffers a bit more than its peers from an in-state stigma (sound familiar to those of us who know Rutgers' challenges?), which might be more accentuated in the more densely populated and wealthy areas (Chicago and its suburbs) compared to other parts of the state.

You're right that Madison is in many ways a more interesting place to be than Urbana-Champaign (despite the awful weather in Madison).

You're right that Madison is in many ways a more interesting place to be than Urbana-Champaign (despite the awful weather in Madison).

Actually I didn't comment about that (or at least I didn't intend my remarks to address that) but I do agree that the towns in which they're located could be a factor in the relative appeal of the two schools.

My stigma comment was more in line with some folks in Illinois aren't keen to send their kids to UIUC and rather favor private schools or OOS public schools...similar to the NJ/Rutgers phenomenon we discuss here sometimes.

I don't know about U.S. NEWS, but I can tell you that Wisconsin has always had a far better reputation than Illinois. So I'm not sure what it means to be in the same tier as them. Anyway, we should all refrain from getting too excited about these BS ratings.

Yeah that might be true, I am just thinking tier wise

If you consider UCLA/Berkeley/UNC/UVA/UM one

What other schools would you put in the next category, presumably in between those and RU

I love this marketing strategy and this also should be all over our marketing materials. Don't forget higher than UConn and Pitt as well.

everybodyknowsthatgeico.gif

jimcareywellyeah.gif

;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT