ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers NCAA Seeds and Matchups

mandfense

All Conference
Feb 4, 2004
Illinois
125 Shawver #23 gets #10 DeAugustino (Northwestern)
133 Oliveri #22 gets #11 Turner (Oregon St)
141 SeaBass #3 gets #30 Butler (Oklahoma)
149 MVB #12 gets #21 Robinson (Cleveland St)
174 O'Neill #33 in pigtail vs. Solis (Maryland)
184 Poz #20 gets #13 Cochran (again!; Maryland)
197 Bulsak #14 gets #19 Cardenas (Cornell)

Reactions: dollarbill
I like Olivieri Draw. And MVB isn’t bad either. Poz gets 3rd shot at Cochran which I like, hard to beat anyone 3x in one year. Glad Seabass got the 3 seed. Has a tough road with Red and Matthew’s. Bulsak is a dangerous 14 seed.

I like Olivieri Draw. And MVB isn’t bad either. Poz gets 3rd shot at Cochran which I like, hard to beat anyone 3x in one year. Glad Seabass got the 3 seed. Has a tough road with Red and Matthew’s. Bulsak is a dangerous 14 seed.
Agreed on Olivieri, has a tough but winnable 2nd round vs Ragusin and most likely McGee after…

Agreed on MVB, he would get ASU’s Parco(lone loss to Bartlett) 2nd round and most likely Sasso after.

I don’t like Poz’s draw though… Cochran got the mental edge on Poz rn.. I actually think it’s easier to beat someone 3x then the other way.. never really got that saying.. if Poz wins though he has Keckeisen next…yeah.. tough draw

Seabass most likely gotta go through Red and Matthews(hoping it’s Zargo instead) to meet Eierman in semis

Bulsak got Cardenas first(winnable) then Schultz.. beating Schultz would be tough would see Warner after that.

We are only projected to have One AA, anything more would be great, so gonna have to do most dmg through backside.

Based on this year's results, these are great seeds. Shawver has a tough matchup. The other guys are all positioned to exceed their seeds. I am excited for our guys and didn't expect better matchups. This is a tough tournament and the BIG Tens prepared our guys. Excited for next week.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Agreed on Olivieri, has a tough but winnable 2nd round vs Ragusin and most likely McGee after…

Agreed on MVB, he would get ASU’s Parco(lone loss to Bartlett) 2nd round and most likely Sasso after.

I don’t like Poz’s draw though… Cochran got the mental edge on Poz rn.. I actually think it’s easier to beat someone 3x then the other way.. never really got that saying.. if Poz wins though he has Keckeisen next…yeah.. tough draw

Seabass most likely gotta go through Red and Matthews(hoping it’s Zargo instead) to meet Eierman in semis

Bulsak got Cardenas first(winnable) then Schultz.. beating Schultz would be tough would see Warner after that.

We are only projected to have One AA, anything more would be great, so gonna have to do most dmg through backside.
Schultz is tough but my gut feels like Bulsak can pull the upset.
Poz I would like to see revenge. Don’t have AA aspirations for him but would be nice if he could win a couple.
Shawver is wrestling tough and continues to improve. Would love to see him pull an upset

Poz I would like to see revenge. Don’t have AA aspirations for him but would be nice if he could win a couple.
Shawver is wrestling tough and continues to improve. Would love to see him pull an upset
It’s crucial Shawver wins his first round match vs DeAugustino.. otherwise his road through backside going be pretty tough.. would have to face loser of schroder/McKee(beat him twice) then gets Hindelbrand if advances.. then Barnett in blood round.

Cardenas is no joke. Bulsak has to get through him first.

Cardenas is no joke. Bulsak has to get through him first.
I agree, considering he got beat by Stout and is probably pissed off. Plus, Cardenas loves to shoot ( which is Bulsaks Achilles Heel). I feel more confident with Bulsak vs. Schultz. If Greg can get past Cardenas, I see him advancing to at least the quarters. I heard from the grape vine that Poz is indeed, very injured. That could have hurt his confidence. Wrestling hurt...sucks! So, hopefully, heals up. I have a good feeling he is going to rebound and make that podium again.

Yeah, Shawver got tossed to the wolves on that seed of his. I think he can beat D'Agostino this time. He has got to tighten up his defense with D'agostino, because he is super funky, but also very sloppy. Shawver has to wrestle very conservative and stay out of those funky scrambles, as much as he can.

I agree, considering he got beat by Stout and is probably pissed off. Plus, Cardenas loves to shoot ( which is Bulsaks Achilles Heel). I feel more confident with Bulsak vs. Schultz. If Greg can get past Cardenas, I see him advancing to at least the quarters. I heard from the grape vine that Poz is indeed, very injured. That could have hurt his confidence. Wrestling hurt...sucks! So, hopefully, heals up. I have a good feeling he is going to rebound and make that podium again.

I figured he was hurt just by watching him. Hopefully he redshirts next year then returns to form after.

Reactions: rugrapfan1
I figured he was hurt just by watching him. Hopefully he redshirts next year then returns to form after.
I think the initial loss to the Penn State kid set off a chain of unfortunate events. His getting hurt afterward was not a confidence booster, either. Plus us micro-managing and pounding the poor kid didn't help matters. Let's get behind this kid and boost his confidence! Seriously! This isn't some pandering proclamation on my end. I have to look at this with some clarity. I am a former Scarlet Knight wrestler, period end of the sentence. These young men are like my younger brethren and some sort of brother. I don't know about others, but I need to support them and they need us too. It's like a family and people should never turn on their family...ever. Redshirting might be an option, but I think a long rest, heal up, go see someone ( eg. sports psychologist if needed) and let him get his head together. We owe this kid and the others' support because they have brought so much to us and this program!

Scott had a very nice zoom meeting just now for us SKWC donors where he spoke for 1/3 on the draws, seedlings, wrestling health, etc. said Shawver, Olivieri and Seabass are getting better and better. Talked a lot about Poz and how the staff have to figure out a way to change tactics to beat Cochran. Likes Bulsac and MVB on their last go round. Said Seabass is healthy and that he talked to Eirman st the Big Tens that he would see him at the NCAAs since he was not 100% yet st Bigs.

I think the initial loss to the Penn State kid set off a chain of unfortunate events. His getting hurt afterward was not a confidence booster, either. Plus us micro-managing and pounding the poor kid didn't help matters. Let's get behind this kid and boost his confidence! Seriously! This isn't some pandering proclamation on my end. I have to look at this with some clarity. I am a former Scarlet Knight wrestler, period end of the sentence. These young men are like my younger brethren and some sort of brother. I don't know about others, but I need to support them and they need us too. It's like a family and people should never turn on their family...ever. Redshirting might be an option, but I think a long rest, heal up, go see someone ( eg. sports psychologist if needed) and let him get his head together. We owe this kid and the others' support because they have brought so much to us and this program!
Kudos to you good sir for taking a step back from your original assessment and reexamining the situation on Poz.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Kudos to you good sir for taking a step back from your original assessment and reexamining the situation on Poz.
Thanks, my man. Had a brief moment of consciousness and clarity, and didn't realize how our insults and verbal poundings affected this young man and his teammates. I actually got moved by Billy Janzer, when he had the guts and respect to make an account to come on here and defend his friends. Now that's a person you want as a friend, and teammate. I know for a fact that Goody doesn't want these kids posting on here, and to break protocol to stand up for his teammates, says volumes. Plus, most of us are adults. We should look at these kids like a son, younger brother, nephew, or even someone we coach. They need the support, as we would do for the latter. With that said, there is room for constructive criticism, but not out-and-out insults. Poz ( using as an example), if genuinely hurt, then he is a warrior and we need to support him, win or lose. The kid was our hero when he was performing, but now that he is having a tough time, we turn on him? I'm guilty of it too, and I offer my apologies. If he AA's, great, if he loses 2 in a row, we should be fine with it as well. He is a wonderful young man and doesn't deserve this. The pressures to repeat are so overwhelming, it messes with your head ( believe me, I know). A little downtime to regroup, hang out with his friends, go to school, vacation, spend time with his family, will do him some good. If he wants to redshirt, that's his, his parents, and the coaches' business, and not for us to judge either which way. In the end, he is just a kid, trying to make a mark for himself and impress us as fans. For that, we should be grateful. Regarding Sammy Alvarez. Look, like I said previously, he may need some time to get it together. He's a kid! Not a seasoned older adult like most of us. he takes this stuff personally, like most kids. The last thing he needs is more negativity on top of what he is going through. Like Poz, he needs to regroup and come back like the Sammy we know.

Could not have said it any better Crackers. Regarding Poz, anyone ever hear of the Sophomore Slump in Baseball?

Reactions: belushijo
Before Seeds, I was going to guess that Poz would see Cochrane again,
It always seems like you find your nemesis at the NCAA's

I still think in general the insults thrown around here are overstated. It’s only a few posters, most of which post like once a week and then disappear. The overwhelming amount of people here are pretty positive or at worst, realistic.

I don’t think anyone has really insulted Poz, even the worst posters here. Some of us have questioned his health and mental focus because he’s a totally different guy right now and one of those two things are the likeliest reasons. I think he’d say the same thing about himself if given the chance. Based on what I’ve seen since January, I don’t expect him to AA this year but I know he has the ability to if he can fix whatever the problem is. I also am not concerned about his long term ability. He’s got a good head on his shoulders and a long offseason ahead, plus a redshirt option. I think once he’s back on the mat and 100% both mentally and physically, we’ll see the same wrestler we saw last year if not a better one.

I still think in general the insults thrown around here are overstated. It’s only a few posters, most of which post like once a week and then disappear. The overwhelming amount of people here are pretty positive or at worst, realistic.

I don’t think anyone has really insulted Poz, even the worst posters here. Some of us have questioned his health and mental focus because he’s a totally different guy right now and one of those two things are the likeliest reasons. I think he’d say the same thing about himself if given the chance. Based on what I’ve seen since January, I don’t expect him to AA this year but I know he has the ability to if he can fix whatever the problem is. I also am not concerned about his long term ability. He’s got a good head on his shoulders and a long offseason ahead, plus a redshirt option. I think once he’s back on the mat and 100% both mentally and physically, we’ll see the same wrestler we saw last year if not a better one.
I agree we haven't made harsh insults, but going through this slump, plus hearing about it from teammates who read the forums, and reading them yourself, does not help. I'm actually glad we didn't have social media outlets when I wrestled, I'm content with the two handfuls of loudmouths that were at our matches. The good ole dinosaur days!

I agree we haven't made harsh insults, but going through this slump, plus hearing about it from teammates who read the forums, and reading them yourself, does not help. I'm actually glad we didn't have social media outlets when I wrestled, I'm content with the two handfuls of loudmouths that were at our matches. The good ole dinosaur days!
Well yeah, any amount of personal insults above 0 is too many but it’s usually one pessimistic troll and one infrequent poster that come in with their comments, followed by a Harley rant about how everyone is incessantly blah blah and then the thread quickly derails and becomes pretty toxic. In reality everyone should just ignore those comments and keep the forum what it usually is about.

Thanks, my man. Had a brief moment of consciousness and clarity, and didn't realize how our insults and verbal poundings affected this young man and his teammates. I actually got moved by Billy Janzer, when he had the guts and respect to make an account to come on here and defend his friends. Now that's a person you want as a friend, and teammate. I know for a fact that Goody doesn't want these kids posting on here, and to break protocol to stand up for his teammates, says volumes. Plus, most of us are adults. We should look at these kids like a son, younger brother, nephew, or even someone we coach. They need the support, as we would do for the latter. With that said, there is room for constructive criticism, but not out-and-out insults. Poz ( using as an example), if genuinely hurt, then he is a warrior and we need to support him, win or lose. The kid was our hero when he was performing, but now that he is having a tough time, we turn on him? I'm guilty of it too, and I offer my apologies. If he AA's, great, if he loses 2 in a row, we should be fine with it as well. He is a wonderful young man and doesn't deserve this. The pressures to repeat are so overwhelming, it messes with your head ( believe me, I know). A little downtime to regroup, hang out with his friends, go to school, vacation, spend time with his family, will do him some good. If he wants to redshirt, that's his, his parents, and the coaches' business, and not for us to judge either which way. In the end, he is just a kid, trying to make a mark for himself and impress us as fans. For that, we should be grateful. Regarding Sammy Alvarez. Look, like I said previously, he may need some time to get it together. He's a kid! Not a seasoned older adult like most of us. he takes this stuff personally, like most kids. The last thing he needs is more negativity on top of what he is going through. Like Poz, he needs to regroup and come back like the Sammy we know.

Well said crackers.

Well yeah, any amount of personal insults above 0 is too many but it’s usually one pessimistic troll and one infrequent poster that come in with their comments, followed by a Harley rant about how everyone is incessantly blah blah and then the thread quickly derails and becomes pretty toxic. In reality everyone should just ignore those comments and keep the forum what it usually is about.
✋✋✋....yes, that would be "I" that catches the most the incoherent rants about my supposed economic downfalls, my lack of personal and wrestling achievements, my insatiable alcohol consumption, particularly Boons Farm ( I never drink, and have competed in marathons and cross fits...not so much lately, getting old). You can't win with that A-hole.

Grading NCAA Results in Advance

Top 7 = A
Top 12 = B
Top 17 = C
Lower Than Top 17 = Disappointing & Re-evaluate Coaching Staff

How Would You Grade the Coaches Based on Tournament Results ?

Top 7 = A
Top 12 = B
Top 17 = C

Around 15-20 is probably likely. I think Seabass will be our only AA.

Top 7 = A--Dont think we have a chance
Top 12 = B--If we finish top 12-A+. We had two champs in 2019 and finished 9th
Top 17 = C--If we finish top 17-B
Lower Than Top 17 = Disappointing & Re-evaluate Coaching Staff--Complete over-reaction. Even if we had returning AA-Turley, Sammy and a healthy Poz and SeaBass--I would be disappointed, but in no way would I question the staff off of one year results

Top 7 = A
Top 12 = B
Top 17 = C

The highest we ever finished was 9th or 10th w/ two national champions…. So yeah top 7 probably isn’t happening this year and if it did that’s A+++..

We are projected to have only one AA as of the seeds… keep in mind, we might have had multiple AA aspirations at the start of season but Turley and Alverez gone now and Poz not 100. I’d be happy wit one national champ, or anything over our projected seeds realistically.

Leave me out of it ...If i was wrong about you guys and your insults then why have two kids had to come on here and put you in your place ..it's no coincidence ...even now after Billy says what he did you don't wanna own it ..typical !!...my so called rants have been about the very thing Jojo and now Billy have addressed ...I could care less what you think of me as long as your giving the kids and the program the respect it deserves ...some of you obviously were not doing that

Last edited:
Whatever happens at NCAAs will not be reflective of the coaching staff, good or bad. They are reviewing film of the kids opponents and strategizing how to attack them. Then it is up to our kids to perform. Crackers knows that as he has been there.

Reactions: Leonard23
Around 15-20 is probably likely. I think Seabass will be our only AA.
I agree, I think we only get one AA and probably finish somewhere around 20th. From past tournament results that's where we would place. But Seabass has to make at least the finals. I think he can do that.

Yeah, I agree with 15-20 unless someone(s) really catches fire

Top 7 = A
Top 12 = B
Top 17 = C

Huh? That's a wild grading system and completely ignores reality. Our last 4 tourneys we finished 13, 9, 11 and 19:

2021: 13. Rutgers, 37.5 (3 AAs: 4, 4, 8)

2019: 9. Rutgers 51.5 (3 AAs: 1, 1, 8)

2018: 11. Rutgers 42.5 (2 AAs: 2, 6)

2017: 19. Rutgers 24.5 (2 AAs: 6, 7)

Leave me out of it ...If i was wrong about you guys and your insults then why have two kids had to come on here and put you in your place ..it's no coincidence ...even now after Billy says what he did you don't wanna own it ..typical !!...my so called rants have been about the very thing Jojo and now Billy have addressed ...I could care less what you think of me as long as your giving the kids and the program the respect it deserves ...some of you obviously were not doing that
This is exactly what I’m talking about. You’re generalizing everybody based on one or two comments from a couple clowns.

Reactions: koleszar
As new positive me, I still have to say you are right. As much as I want Bulsak and Poz to AA, with a possible Shawver and Oliveri, don't think it is going to happen.
I think MVB would be the most likely to AA after Rivera.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT