ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers president ‘embarrassed’ about Princeton cannon

He probably wouldn't appreciate the goals posts being torn down before the end of the game.

The comments seemed more directed at the graffiti than the painting of the cannon.
I thought so too...

In a letter to Princeton's president, Rutgers President Robert Barchi said Wednesday his school would be "deeply embarrassed and diminished" if the graffiti was the work of its students.

"Both of us know of the long history of student mischief between our institutions," Barchi wrote. "While we at Rutgers are happy to enjoy a friendly rivalry with Princeton, we do not condone the childish and lawbreaking behavior of whoever did this to your campus."

Not a bad response if you ask me.

Happens back and forth between Michigan and Michigan State and while the graffiti is poor sportsmanship and illegal, neither President is writing letters about their schools being deeply embarrassed and diminished.

Barchi owes me an apology for the football team's performance the last 3 weeks. It has been deeply embarrassed and diminished.

Listen, I'm not his biggest fan, but WTF do you guys WANT a worldwide top 50 university's president to say to HIS students, in the press? "Well done, BRAVO, BRAVO!!"...I mean com'on....lol.

It is true, that during the fake stealing of the cannon in the 60s, the Dean of the Rutgers Engineering Department apparently remarked, “We’re glad they’re teaching those boys something.”

https://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2015/09/16/pages/3040/index.xml

It's also apparently sinking.

11myfktm4735uobl7cekcp71nq4lhxy

1ehi9i446l90zzpxm31cpgesw4el90s

19173413-mmmain.jpg

What a misleading headline, he was referring to the graffiti with the fu#k penn state on it not the painting of the canon, which Princeton doesn't mind and dates back eons.

Painted Big Cannon multiple times as Fresh/Soph. By Junior year I learned better...little cannon next to Whig and Clio Halls is the real target.

What a misleading headline, he was referring to the graffiti with the fu#k penn state on it not the painting of the canon, which Princeton doesn't mind and dates back eons.

Which is stupid and trashy. The obsession by our students with Penn State needs to stop especially when they kick our asses on the field.

And I hate Penn State.

Well, at least we finally know where his "embarrassment" line is drawn.

People should read the damn article before posting. Barchi's concerns were clearly more about the graffiti than about the painting of the cannon. And while the cannon was funny, the graffiti is stupid and should be somewhat embarrassing.

I took his comment to be more directed at the fact that the students apparently defaced the Princeton tiger, writing comments about not only Princeton, but also PSU. I tend to agree...there is no need to do more than paint the cannon, and even that is a little silly at this point.

People should read the damn article before posting. Barchi's concerns were clearly more about the graffiti than about the painting of the cannon. And while the cannon was funny, the graffiti is stupid and should be somewhat embarrassing.
I agree that the article was potentially misleading and that expletive graffiti has no place, even in pranks.
However, since nobody was caught it is in no way proven that this was the work of Rutgers students (as much as we all see the tell-tale signs with the cannon painted red and hating Penn State).
As such, it is not a productive use of time for the Rutgers University president to be writing letters proclaiming his embarrassment of a random incident in another city, while all but ignoring athletic details unless they involve budget neutrality..

I agree that the article was potentially misleading and that expletive graffiti has no place, even in pranks.
However, since nobody was caught it is in no way proven that this was the work of Rutgers students (as much as we all see the tell-tale signs with the cannon painted red and hating Penn State).
As such, it is not a productive use of time for the Rutgers University president to be writing letters proclaiming his embarrassment of a random incident in another city, while all but ignoring athletic details unless they involve budget neutrality..
I think Barchi made his expression of embarrassment contingent upon the determination of the fact that it was RU students. He's hedging his bets and getting ahead of the story. [laughing]

I think Barchi made his expression of embarrassment contingent upon the determination of the fact that it was RU students. He's hedging his bets and getting ahead of the story. [laughing]

Well, I guess it's about time that he got ahead of at least one story [laughing]

Reactions: mildone
He probably wouldn't appreciate the goals posts being torn down before the end of the game.

This was already done back in the late 70s and affected the outcome of the game... No goal posts, no extra point try!

This was already done back in the late 70s and affected the outcome of the game... No goal posts, no extra point try!
I know. I was there. And by there I mean on the field helping drag the crossbar off.

I know. I was there. And by there I mean on the field helping drag the crossbar off.
is that there year the Home News published a picture of this with the Gun of one of the campus cops just lying on the field during the attempts to stop the students? (fell out of its holster)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT