ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers T&F performance rankings going into B1G Indoor Championships

AZBlues

Senior
Sep 29, 2013
Just wanted to post how top RU track and field performances rank among all Big Ten performances this season, going into the B1G Indoor Championships in Ohio this coming Friday and Saturday. (Limited to top ten performances in the conference to date.) Wishing good luck to our RU teams and athletes, and hoping that they'll have a good meet.

RU Women:
Dennisha Page, #3 60m, 7.26
Dennisha Page, #5 200m, 23.61
Kassidy Johnson, #6 800m, 2:05.75
Alexandra Carlson, #8 800m, 2:06.47
Alexandra Carlson, #1 Mile, 4:31.51
Alexandra Carlson, #1 3000m, 8:56.15
Chloe Timberg, #1 Pole Vault, 14'5.5"
Celine Brown, #3 Long Jump, 20'5.75"
Faith Bethea, #9 Long Jump, 19'10.25"
Claudine Smith, #7 Triple Jump, 41'10'
Jasmine Van Note, #8 Shot Put, 54'5.25"

RU Men
A'Nan Bridgett, #9 60m, 6.74
Nadale Buntin, #2 200m, 20.89
Al-Tariq Dunson, #9 60hurdles, 7.89
McQueen,Buntin,Babe,Woodell, #7 4x400, 3:11.58
Sincere Robinson, #7 High Jump, 6'10.75"
A'Nan Bridgett, #1 Long Jump, 25'10.75"
Sincere Robinson, #2 Long Jump, 25"10.25"

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Women are well represented led by Carlson, Timberg and Page. I wish the Men had some better performances in the middle distances.

It would be nice if our staff would recruit some long distance runners. NJ high schools are rated usually in the first 4 states in the nation in Cross Country and Track bur we almost never recruit cross country runners. We usually go after track athletes who can do several events and our cross country team lingers near the bottom of the BIG. It kills me as a former Cross Country coach and track coach for 40 years. In the fall of 1975 our X-C team was # 15 in the nation in the NCAA and I believe 4 of our top 7 were freshmen at that time. I wish we would bring back that distance running pride.

It would be nice if our staff would recruit some long distance runners. NJ high schools are rated usually in the first 4 states in the nation in Cross Country and Track bur we almost never recruit cross country runners. We usually go after track athletes who can do several events and our cross country team lingers near the bottom of the BIG. It kills me as a former Cross Country coach and track coach for 40 years. In the fall of 1975 our X-C team was # 15 in the nation in the NCAA and I believe 4 of our top 7 were freshmen at that time. I wish we would bring back that distance running pride.
They did just sign the NJ XC Meet of champions winner on the men’s side for next year, if you’ve been following along

Thanks for posting. Women are well represented led by Carlson, Timberg and Page. I wish the Men had some better performances in the middle distances.
I wonder if the fact that women's cross country/track and field are allowed 18 scholarships versus only 12.6 scholarships for the men's team plays any part in why our women seem to be a little better represented in certain events.

Reactions: RUrahrah123
They did just sign the NJ XC Meet of champions winner on the men’s side for next year, if you’ve been following along
That is very good. Need a great deal more than that to be successful. Virginia has 4 sub 4 minute milers on their roster

That is very good. Need a great deal more than that to be successful. Virginia has 4 sub 4 minute milers on their roster
Virginia had 5 guys break 4 minutes at the BU meet on Feb 10th.... In a dual meet they'd kill RU from 800m up, but RU has superior short sprinters, hurdlers, long and high jumpers.. Not sure about other events.... I wonder if both teams have somewhat different priorities in how to use their limited scholarships, but having a reputation as a very good distance program obviously helps Virginia's distance recruiting..

Reactions: new jersey1
I wonder if the fact that women's cross country/track and field are allowed 18 scholarships versus only 12.6 scholarships for the men's team plays any part in why our women seem to be a little better represented in certain events.
Only 12.6 scholarships for the entire men’s track and field team? (I assume the cross country runners on scholarship compete in track). 12.6 must put RU at quite a disadvantage when you consider all of the events.

Virginia had 5 guys break 4 minutes at the BU meet on Feb 10th.... In a dual meet they'd kill RU from 800m up, but RU has superior short sprinters, hurdlers, long and high jumpers.. Not sure about other events.... I wonder if both teams have somewhat different priorities in how to use their limited scholarships, but having a reputation as a very good distance program obviously helps Virginia's distance recruiting..
We do have some grad transfers this year from Penn and New Orleans I believe. Will be interesting to see how they do at the Big ten championships

Only 12.6 scholarships for the entire men’s track and field team? (I assume the cross country runners on scholarship compete in track). 12.6 must put RU at quite a disadvantage when you consider all of the events.
NCAA Division 1 max for men is 12.6. NCAA Division 1 max for women is 18. Those maximums apply to everyone, not just RU. A school can give less scholarships if they choose, but they can't exceed those numbers... And those numbers include both track and field AND cross country scholarships combined. That's why many track and field/cross country scholarships are partial scholarships.

We do have some grad transfers this year from Penn and New Orleans I believe. Will be interesting to see how they do at the Big ten championships
Checked out the transfers.. Alec Snell, the transfer from New Orleans, has a season best of 1:52.07 in the 800, which currently puts him 28th in the B1G. The top 10 B1G performers have all run under 1:49 this season, led by Penn State freshman Handal Roban, 1:47.01. Six of the top seven 800m athletes are from Penn State, with their sixth best 800m runner being ranked 7th in the conference with a time of 1:48.35.

edit: ( In case anyone is familiar with the Penn Relays, Handal Roban led the Jamaica College HS team from Jamaica that won the 2022 High School Penn Relays 4x800 with a blazing time of 7:28.48, with a 1:48.12 split)

The transfers from Penn, Justin Cornetta and Will Hare, have 1 mile season bests of 4:03.89 and 4:06.60 respectively, which currently rank them 14th and 22nd in the conference. The top 7 milers in the conference have all run under 4 minutes this season, with Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana each having two sub 4 runners. The other is from Penn State. Top mark so far belongs to Wisconsin's Adam Spencer, 3:55.61. Michigan's Nick Foster isn't far behind at 3:56.08.

Hopefully our guys will do well at the championships and be able to improve on their previous season bests... Go RU.

Last edited:
NCAA Division 1 max for men is 12.6. NCAA Division 1 max for women is 18. Those maximums apply to everyone, not just RU. A school can give less scholarships if they choose, but they can't exceed those numbers... And those numbers include both track and field AND cross country scholarships combined. That's why many track and field/cross country scholarships are partial scholarships.
Did not know that. Thanks for clarifying.

Checked out the transfers.. Alec Snell, the transfer from New Orleans, has a season best of 1:52.07 in the 800, which currently puts him 28th in the B1G. The top 10 B1G performers have all run under 1:49 this season, led by Penn State freshman Handal Roban, 1:47.01. Six of the top seven 800m athletes are from Penn State, with their sixth best 800m runner being ranked 7th in the conference with a time of 1:48.35.

edit: ( In case anyone is familiar with the Penn Relays, Handal Roban led the Jamaica College HS team from Jamaica that won the 2022 High School Penn Relays 4x800 with a blazing time of 7:28.48, with a 1:48.12 split)

The transfers from Penn, Justin Cornetta and Will Hare, have 1 mile season bests of 4:03.89 and 4:06.60 respectively, which currently rank them 14th and 22nd in the conference. The top 7 milers in the conference have all run under 4 minutes this season, with Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana each having two sub 4 runners. The other is from Penn State. Top mark so far belongs to Wisconsin's Adam Spencer, 3:55.61. Michigan's Nick Foster isn't far behind at 3:56.08.

Hopefully our guys will do well at the championships and be able to improve on their previous season bests... Go RU.
Wow, those are some crazy fast times in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT