ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers taking HUGE hit in Football Ticket revenue Sarge article Details.

BlockR

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2015
However, Rutgers’ overall struggles at the box office — first reported by NJ Advance Media last September — was a significant factor in the revenue decrease.

In 2017, Rutgers average attendance was announced at 39,749 fans per game. But an NJ Advance Media review of how many fans actually entered the HighPoint.com Stadium gates for the seven home games showed that number to be considerably higher than the actual attendance.

Rutgers sold 23,812 football season tickets and averaged 24,416 fans per game in the 2017 season, according to ticket-scan totals obtained by NJ Advance Media.

Rutgers sold 28,478 season tickets in 2016 and 31,168 season tickets in 2015.

Here’s how much money Rutgers produced in football ticket-sales revenue during that span:

2015: $11,824,520

2016: $11,129,587

2017: $8,387,569

So when does Hobbs, and the BOG, look at revenue bottom line and compare this 2017 loss(god knows 2018 season and this season revenue will be WORSE),and say buying Ash out is a bargain compared to this continuous drain on the Athletics department and lost revenue ?
OR is this just HOBBS being that stubborn to admit his Ash ERROR?

we only have 6000ish season ticket holders for football???? how does that translate to number of season tickets sold?

Rutgers also reported a total of 6,252 season-ticket accounts for football -- a total that increased from 6,213 in 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: biker7766
If you add the season tickets sold just from those two years you get 52,290 season ticket sales. Isn't the capacity of the stadium 52,000? There must be hardly any season tickets left to buy.

we only have 6000ish season ticket ACCOUNT holders for football????

Rutgers also reported a total of 6,252 season-ticket accounts for football -- a total that increased from 6,213 in 2017.

FIFY...I don't doubt that, and I'm not that surprised to hear the 2018 number was greater than 2017 number after the 4-win season had some folks thinking Ash potentially had things on the upswing. But keep in mind that the number reported here is season ticket account holders, not total season tickets (ranging from 1 through XX, with an average of ?) across those accounts.

FIFY...I don't doubt that, and I'm not that surprised to hear the 2018 number was greater than 2017 number after the 4-win season had some folks thinking Ash potentially had things on the upswing. But keep in mind that the number reported here is season ticket account holders, not total season tickets (ranging from 1 through XX, with an average of ?) across those accounts.

you quoted me before I got to edit and throw in my second question: how many actual season tickets were sold? Sarge is missing some important info in this article

Reactions: RUnTeX
you quoted me before I got to edit and throw in my second question: how many actual season tickets were sold? Sarge is missing some important info in this article

Yeah, sorry....agree with you that total season tickets is the more meaningful number to report, of course. It is likely sub-20,000, especially the upcoming season where some are predicting with all of the attrition that's going on that Rutgers will be lucky to break 15,000. We'll see.

Last edited:
Accounts - not tickets.

I would assume most accounts are for at least 2 tickets.
Others here might have a better idea of the average tickets per account.

It would seem that many kept their actual account - but reduced the number of tickets.

Total guess on my part:
New accounts more likely to start at 2.
Longer term accounts have probably accumulated more and more tickets over time.
Those longer term accounts are now reducing their tickets.

All sounds realistic. Average might have been in the 3-4 range of tickets per account in prior years maybe up through 2017 or 2018 but with all of the attrition (either full dropping of STs or reducing to only 2 or even 1 from a higher number in previous years), I'm guessing the average may even drop to 2.5 or so this coming season. If the # of accounts also drops to or below 6,000 (not far fetched), you could be looking at barely 15K in total season tix for 2019.

Reactions: Knightmoves
its easy to calculate if the non season ticket sales numbers were separated for each game,minus the 10k free student tiks.

All sounds realistic. Average might have been in the 3-4 range in prior years and maybe up through 2017 or 2018 but with all of the attrition (either full dropping of STs or reducing to only 2 or even 1 from a higher number in previous years), I'm guessing the average may even drop to 2.5 or so this coming season. If the # of accounts also drops below 6,000 (not far fetched), you could be looking at barely 15K in total season tix for 2019.

I hope we have 15K season tickets for 2019. It could be as low as 10-12K, as scores of people dropped. Need to win, and everyone will be back.

Reactions: BlockR
Last season the stadium was a ghost town. Those numbers aren't out yet. We have since brought Ash back, it's going to look like a HS state championship game in our stadium. It's beyond embarrassing.

At least the BOG saved 2.5m in buyout money while losing 4m in season tickets and buying out new coach salaries!

I was embarrassed, seeing how empty the stadium was at kickoff. The only upside is I got great seats for this year.

Reactions: RUskoolie
I hope we have 15K season tickets for 2019. It could be as low as 10-12K, as scores of people dropped. Need to win, and everyone will be back.
unless there is a big name coach hired after this season,it will take at least two following seasons to build back up the season tik base. Getting people to buy back in only happens after winning seasons.Thats why it was so important to retain the season tik base that Schiano/Flood era had built up.
It appears keeping Ash,a move that has clearly backfired on Hobbs,has caused a significant drop in season tiks as seen in 2017. 2018 and 2019 numbers will be even more eye opening.

I know this is desperately grasping for straws.... but might Hobbs have more of a green light from Barchi to buy out Ash now that the faculty contract negotiations are settled?

Reactions: Rutgers81
Looking forward to finding out how many season tickets have been sold for 2019.

The revenue from football ticket sales / parking/ Seat Gift donations/concessions is crashing like a meteor to the ground.
Hobbs totally blew it this past season when he should have dumped Ash and hired a bonafide P5 Head Coach. The buyout of Ash and Staff would have been pale in comparison to the revenue dollars lost this season and next. Need an upgrade in the AD as well apparently.

The sad thing now is it’s not just at kickoff, it will be for the whole game.

It’s going to be real embarrassing this year, especially as they promote this 150th anniversary.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

James Kratch‏Verified account@JamesKratch
James Kratch Retweeted Keith Sargeant

The bottom line takeaway from Sarge's reporting: Ticket sales are down. That is the biggest reason why the deficits are increasing. #Rutgers

James Kratch added,

Keith SargeantVerified account@KSargeantNJ
How much did Rutgers spend on its football team in Chris Ash’s 2nd season? In-depth look at a record shortfall https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ason-in-depth-look-at-a-record-shortfall.html…
9:15 AM - 19 Apr 2019

we only have 6000ish season ticket holders for football???? how does that translate to number of season tickets sold?

I would imagine every account has 1 to X number of tickets.

I would imagine every account has 1 to X number of tickets.

yes, I got that part. But as @RUnTeX said, the number of season tickets sold is the more meaningful number and would reflect the overall mindset of the fan base. We could possibly (I know we didn't but indulge me here) kept all 6200 ticket accounts but the number of actual season tickets sold could have dropped by 50% or more. So reporting 6200 accounts is meaningless.
how many actual season tickets were sold this year vs past years. I think @Knight Shift has done the math on this previously and we have dropped actual season tickets precariously for the past 3-4 years.

Reactions: NickRU714
yes, I got that part. But as @RUnTeX said, the number of season tickets sold is the more meaningful number and would reflect the overall mindset of the fan base. We could possibly (I know we didn't but indulge me here) kept all 6200 ticket accounts but the number of actual season tickets sold could have dropped by 50% or more. So reporting 6200 accounts is meaningless.
how many actual season tickets were sold this year vs past years. I think Knight Shift has done the math on this previously and we have dropped actual season tickets precariously for the past 3-4 years.
Gotcha, completely agree.

I've tabulated the season ticket sales for the last few years, here they are:

2015: 31,168
2016: 28,478
2017: 23,812
2018: 22,337

Winning should matter even at Rutgers.Attendance will continue to decline until Rutgers starts recruiting B1G level talent starting with the offensive and defensive lines.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
I wish I could follow the Ash strategic plan at my current job.. take 5-7 years before showing improvement or any meaningful results! I'm actually going to talk to my boss today about this. Hope it goes well.
I wonder it I could do that too. I could take it easy for the next 5-7 years and then retire.

Reactions: RutgersSam
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT