ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers taking HUGE hit in Football Ticket revenue Sarge article Details.

I don’t even want to know what our revenue is going to be this year lol
Yeah the fact that this only reports through 2017 is not even the real story. 2017 still felt like there was hope, Ash was still new enough. It took an uglier turn last season, perception wise. Season ticket revenue will be there, but single game and walk ups will be way down.
I imagine, at least from the boards sentiment that the ugly season ticket declines will be reflected in 2019 season reports

360...That is circling the bowl!
tenor.gif

Reactions: hiwater and Goku
we only have 6000ish season ticket holders for football???? how does that translate to number of season tickets sold?

Rutgers also reported a total of 6,252 season-ticket accounts for football -- a total that increased from 6,213 in 2017.
Back in the Shea days, you had 10K-15K season tickets sold, iirc. Prices were low compared to NFL games and other D1 college football programs. You could overlook the product in favor of the tailgates and supporting the program. There were no guaranteed donations required for parking or seat sections.

Tailgates were more "free"...

...now they are patrolled (not that I have any problems with it but have heard some stories).

During the GS years you had a lot of hope.. and good results.. season ticket boomed.. because a Rutgers game became an event. Disappointing sometimes.. but there was always "next year". I'd guess that the average age of the ticket holders got younger during the GS years.

We have ramped up what we are charging to be "competitive" with tradition P5 programs. Every game, more or less, is on TV in one way or another. Everyone has quality big screen TVs... even the cheap ones are 10 times better than anything available in the late 90s.

Add in the stupid decisions on coaches and ADs and what we see on the field... well, makes the decision to skip games pretty easy.. then you find you cannot sell your tickets to recoup anything.. then you find you cannot even give your tickets away.. then you get that bill for season tickets and you take a good long look at it.

Pretty sad where we are.. but I wouldn't be surprised that we negatively surpass the Shea years in season tickets sold.

Assume low. Hobbs is keenly aware of this.

That means the only reason he kept ash is he really believes in him. Because if ash sucks again this year it would have been a terrible decision to keep him on. Hobbs must see something.

Try to look at the bright side. No more tedious RRRRR-UUUU chants. No more people standing up in front of you and third down and no more excessive noise in the stadium. We can finally watch our games in peace and have time for quiet reflection between plays.

Anyone know how many attended the first game 150 years ago? Another 1-11 (or worse) season, and we could start to converge on that number, lol.

Reactions: goru1869
Hobbs could stay on as a fundraiser,law advisory,compliance admin, but hes a horrible manager of coaches and athletic department to date.

Ash aside, how has the overall Athletic Department been horrible under Hobbs?

Reactions: Hondo77
At least the BOG saved 2.5m in buyout money while losing 4m in season tickets and buying out new coach salaries!

Yep.

The posters who continue to cite the Ash remaining salary figure (which is NOT a lump sum number btw) continue the miss the true and total cost of what the Ash era has done to football revenues, and the untold cost on RU fball enthusiasm and good will. It makes the super tamping down of RU fball excitement under Flood--even as it entered the B10 conference-look like a high water period.

I think we need more than three years of numbers to judge what the revenue trend really is. I don't follow the numbers as carefully as many of you do, but I have the impression from past articles and posts that the high numbers are actually the outliers when you look at our revenues over a ten- or fifteen-year period. I *think* that all we've done is return to the numbers we usually had. Of course it is terrible that the momentum and improvement built under Schiano and by our access to the B1G has been entirely destroyed. But I'm not sure current numbers, as bad as they are, really represent a decrease from our historicl numbers. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

I think we need more than three years of numbers to judge what the revenue trend really is. I don't follow the numbers as carefully as many of you do, but I have the impression from past articles and posts that the high numbers are actually the outliers when you look at our revenues over a ten- or fifteen-year period. I *think* that all we've done is return to the numbers we usually had. Of course it is terrible that the momentum and improvement built under Schiano and by our access to the B1G has been entirely destroyed. But I'm not sure current numbers, as bad as they are, really represent a decrease from our historicl numbers. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

This argument feels like telling a 35 year old that lost his management position that's it's fine because he's just going back to his college level retail sales earning baseline.

I know this is desperately grasping for straws.... but might Hobbs have more of a green light from Barchi to buy out Ash now that the faculty contract negotiations are settled?
No. That like saying now that we settle on a price on a house can I buy a soda. The amount of money for Ash buy out is drop in the bucket compared to the amount of money they were negotiating.

So 3 mil lost last year, assuming a similar drop to this season in tickets means 6 mil, so all together $9 million in lost revenue of tickets alone, forget donations, parking, concessions, etc, and we could have bought out Ash last year for what $8 mil with the years left on his contract? So now we’re just throwing a million dollars away for what? False hope that a team with no quarterback is going to be good at football all of a sudden?

Reactions: RU#1fan
This argument feels like telling a 35 year old that lost his management position that's it's fine because he's just going back to his college level retail sales earning baseline.

If my impression of the numbers is right, that analogy is way off. I think you'd find instead that the numbers grew for about eight or nine years and have now returned to the levels that they were historically at. In any case, we need not analogies but data, which I think some long-time posters have.

If my impression of the numbers is right, that analogy is way off. I think you'd find instead that the numbers grew for about eight or nine years and have now returned to the levels that they were historically at. In any case, we need not analogies but data, which I think some long-time posters have.
The point being that the numbers we were historically at are not ones that can sustain a P5 program.

Also, I'm not following how your clarification does anything other than reenforce the analogy.

The point being that the numbers we were historically at are not ones that can sustain a P5 program.

Also, I'm not following how your clarification does anything other than reenforce the analogy.

Oh, that's a different point than the one I thought you were making. I thought you were questioning my depiction of what the trend-line looked like.

Reactions: MoobyCow
No. That like saying now that we settle on a price on a house can I buy a soda. The amount of money for Ash buy out is drop in the bucket compared to the amount of money they were negotiating.

Not about amount of money, but optics/politics. It's not about how much is *actually* spent on athletics, but how much is perceived to be spent. We just had two national champion wrestlers, and the announcement was booed by protesters. Announcing a $10M buyout and hiring a $3.5M/yr coach would have poured gasoline on that fire and could have made negotiations more strained - so I'm wondering if there's been any easing of the reins now that the negotiations are over.

Reactions: Steve91562
name a revenue sport (other then wrestling,sort of revenue) where the coach is above 500 at seasons end.

It looks like the pike hire could be right, but the jury is still out . It looks like the ash hire was a failure, but ash is getting every opportunity to succeed.
Although , I figured the ash hire was a bad move on that fateful Saturday in December 2015, many thought it was a good hire. Hiring mistakes happen, but instead of cutting losses Hobbs doubled down by keeping and believing in ash . If Hobbs is wrong, the decision to keep ash was reckless and screams incompetence. No other way to see it .

Reactions: hiwater and jax26
So 3 mil lost last year, assuming a similar drop to this season in tickets means 6 mil, so all together $9 million in lost revenue of tickets alone, forget donations, parking, concessions, etc, and we could have bought out Ash last year for what $8 mil with the years left on his contract? So now we’re just throwing a million dollars away for what? False hope that a team with no quarterback is going to be good at football all of a sudden?
this is why,IF this is Hobbs decision to keep Ash hes horrible. If he was told by Barchi that he couldn't fire Ash,then thats a different ball game. I lean towards it being Hobbs stubbornness,and for that reason(if confirmed) then he needs to be gone along with Ash.

So the 2019 season will be season #4 under Coach Ash right?

I do believe Hobbs wanted to give Ash a fair amount of time to turn things around. I'm confident that was part of the deal... to give him a couple years to show improvement, recruit his own players, etc. Problem is, (as we all know) there hasn't been improvement... just regression.

I think Ash's time he's been allowed to turn things around is running out, and the declining ticket sales are just additional ammunition to use against him when it comes time to discuss parting ways. It was too big of a mountain for him to climb. I'm sure he tried his best.

My guess is that this is his last year to show some material improvement. After four years, nobody could say he wasn't given a fair chance to turn things around.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Not sure what you're looking for, but this is a graph of announced attendance going back to 1998. I wish it was possible to get "butts-in-seats" attendance numbers for that long a period, but the only way to do that is with a public records request. And I'm not even sure if they'd have those numbers.

8H16cD9.jpg

Reactions: RU848789
Since Hobbs became AD, football revenue has plummeted ...fact

He isnt doing a good job
1. Yes. But just a fact point that in and of itself does not prove your second point

2. Your second point is naive and you probably know better than this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT