ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers, top wrestler part ways ... for now

I might as well drop the bomb !

Alvarez to Oklahoma State confirmed.

Laugh now, cry later
Good Luck, It will only work out if you dedicate yourself and live the life of a wrestler. The weight class wasn't the issue, staying focus was. Maybe a different home is what you needed. You will always be my guy

Best Wishes

Wait, he's going to WCU? Weight-Cut University? They've forced some kids to suck down so hard, they turned inside out.
Wait, I’m someone who comes upwith corny remarks about a college kid on a Sunday after noon as I prepare to watch my favorite college team *Rutgers. Get curb stomped by Ohio state….

Reactions: hoochie302
Wait, I’m someone who comes upwith corny remarks about a college kid on a Sunday after noon as I prepare to watch my favorite college team *Rutgers. Get curb stomped by Ohio state….
You do know pawrestlersintn is a psu fan, not a Rutgers fan, right?

Just shocked that a kid who was having weight cut issues is going to a school known for having kids suck down. He'll be wrestling 125 for them.

I don’t care either way.

“YOU COULD GET SMACKED TOO COUSIN”
Wow. Very impressive.
Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

Bill just threw a monkey wrench into the whole shabang😳
Whatever it is, I haven’t seen the poster here that are close to the program defend Alvarez all that much. Not sure if the full story will come out but whatever happened it seems like those in the know are on the side of Goodale and staff even if we all wish Alvarez well moving on.

Id wager he would do fairly well at 157.. idk where u get he would be destroyed from.. him sucking so much weight is what’s been sapping his strength
Because he has nowhere near the strength those 157 guys have ..not even close ...Sammy is not known for his work in the weight room ..mark my words ..he will get mauled at 157

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Where do he hear he’s going 157? Like at one point some fictional info like this get ignored. 157 ? Really?!

Okie State wants him at 141 or 157. Does the word discipline mean anything to you. For Sammy’s sake I hope he develops some there so he is successful as we wish that for him.

Where do he hear he’s going 157? Like at one point some fictional info like this get ignored. 157 ? Really?!
You do realize there are people here with very close ties to the wrestling program, don't you? And the info they supply is among the most credible around. Anyhow, Sammy needs a fresh start. He needs to get away from his routines here, remove himself from any troubles that surrounded him and start anew. Time will tell if OSU will be the right choice.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Heard from a st joes guy that Sammy was head case in hs too. Also that he was 15 over before coming in at 5 over last week. If he tries 141 Again in he’s crazy.

Heard from a st joes guy that Sammy was head case in hs too. Also that he was 15 over before coming in at 5 over last week. If he tries 141 Again in he’s crazy.
Sammy is a 141. Sammy living the life that allows him to make 141 is the issue. Sammy needs to make that decision nobody can do it for him.

Reactions: mikemessner
Sammy is a 141. Sammy living the life that allows him to make 141 is the issue. Sammy needs to make that decision nobody can do it for him.
Was he skipping practice or something?? Even with all the “discipline” to make 141 I don’t think that’s his ideal weight.. for example, when Ash went 149 his sr year, old guards prolly had their doubts, but he did his best ever there as I suspected he would.. could he have lived the life to make 141 again?.. .sure, but don’t think he woulda wrestled nearly as well nor won the title if he did..

Why would they take another 141ber when they have Carter Young? Doesn't make sense.
Don’t think Young is progressing at a pace Okie state hoped for.. tossup who wins this wrestle off but both prolly same points at nationals at 141.. 49 okie state got Voinovich, ranked 20th.. probably Sammy’s best chance to make their lineup imo.. 57 they got Gfella(same guy Ash gave the cowboys finger gun to).. if Sammy can beat him for spot here then he gotta decent shot to aa

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Was he skipping practice or something?? Even with all the “discipline” to make 141 I don’t think that’s his ideal weight.. for example, when Ash went 149 his sr year, old guards prolly had their doubts, but he did his best ever there as I suspected he would.. could he have lived the life to make 141 again?.. .sure, but don’t think he woulda wrestled nearly as well nor won the title if he did..
Most of these guys walk around 15+ pounds over their their wrestling weight. Some of the extremists might even get like 20-25 pounds over in the offseason. If you’re cutting a lot, all it takes is one day where you lack discipline eating/hydrating and you’re going to balloon big time. You can probably cut 5-7 pounds in a hard days practice.

Sounds to me like Alvarez is prone to having these type of days quite often.

I do understand why Sammy would want to express his frustration or anger here; I don't understand why any poster would want to respond as I've just seen.

Sammy, if you want to help the forum understand, can you tell us why you were having difficulty this year with both making weight and performing to your potential? I posted that to me, you looked weakened from fasting. Then not being able to make weight seemed to confirm it. Will you be at 141 or higher at O-State? If 141, how will you be more successful there vs at Rutgers? We rarely get the perspective of one of the wrestlers.

Sammy alvarez this

Sammy alvarez that

Sammy should of..

Sammy etc etc

This is sammy alvarez himself and please allow me to say, I don’t wanna hear the “hey buddy Goodluck bullshit”. “ always was a fan and wish you the best”. Na! Keep that same energy! Bc I’ve seen this movie before. Keep the same energy because I don’t operate to be a FRUAD!

I just wanted to say I got a point to prove and that is not good for NO ONE! In a sick twisted way, I am enjoying the fact I’m not suppose to make it here in still water..

I am currently in still water about to enroll and start working out and SHARPENING MY SWORD BABY !! Chris Perry and I are going to take over and INVADE EVERYONES VILLAGE ON HORSE BACK AND KILL EVERYONE WHO ISNT FIT TO WORK!

lastly, I found it so funny how you guys don’t realize. Rutgers wrestling has a ceiling.. I have life long brothers on that team. Not all but some !

I’m going to prove people wrong and totally play the villain card because yea buddy I am a “head case”. Ya STUTTERING MUTTERING PRICK !

Sammy Alvarez out !

GO POKES 🤠🔫

One last final BOOM FOR THE PEOPLE WHY NOT!
Well, this was unexpected.. rucrackers speculated you would transfer out like awhile ago n ppl thought he was.. nuts… fans don’t have the full story of why this happened but yeah… disappointed.. always felt like u loved RU but sometimes need scenery change..

Curious what u meant by RU wrestling has a ceiling..I guess you meant like team wise.. yes..

Curious what weight you are going, I actually feel you will do fine in okie state.. u got a fire lit under you, as u should, I always say wrestlers don’t magically jump levels d1 unless they start get a burning desire to succeed otherwise nothing will change.. get sick.. get twisted.. INVADE! Id be lying if I wasn’t secretly hoping you came back to RU, but yes keep this killer mindset n u’ll do well wherever.

Loved your success freshman year here at RU! The Bull was one of my favorites, constantly talking you up to my colleague at work who had wrestled in college. Too bad that it didn't work out at RU and good luck to you in wrestling and in life!

Sammy can now help Daton prepare for RBY. He's in Stillwater now and in classes. I think he's 141 next year . Hope the change helps.

I had a feeling boojangler was Alvarez and I’m pretty disappointed in that overall response. I get sitting back and watching people criticize you can be tough especially as a pretty young adult but that inability to filter out the noise falls under a similar umbrella of lack of discipline.

Again, we don’t have the full story and probably never will but from the fans overall perspective Alvarez should have nobody to blame but himself. 3 years in a row he couldn’t make weight. One time, yeah it probably happens to everyone. 3 years? That’s no accident.

Alvarez can play the villain card as he says all he wants. Hard to play that card off the mat. Maybe he’ll learn from the mistakes and “prove people wrong.” I don’t even know what that means. Everyone knows Alvarez is an elite talent but the issues go beyond the mat. Fixing the issues and becoming an outstanding wrestler doesn’t prove anyone wrong, it actually proves everyone right.

i will root for Sammy against everyone except a RU Wrestler.
Same as i did for Nick Suriano
Change can be a good thing.

As far as there being a ceiling at RU, RU had 2 national champs and took a NQ from another team to an AA Status (197). Is Top 10 the ceiling for the team, perhaps, but i think there is no ceiling for individual wrestlers. I have never been in a college wrestling room so i can't begin to understand the discipline needed to be an average wrestler inn college. Hopefully Sammy can get away from distractions (if there were any) and achieve his goal. I think Sammy's style seems to fit OK STATE.

I will be at my second wrestling match ever this Sunday and I will miss rooting for Sammy, but enjoy rooting for Joey O.

The ceiling this is such a dumb comment too. Every team that isn’t Iowa or Penn St has a ceiling. Maybe once in a blue moon you’ll get an Ohio St or somebody that recruits really well for a 2 year period and catches the two blue blood programs at the right time in their cycle, and that can be anybody. Everyone else is playing for 3rd place at this point. The days of Oklahoma St and Minnesota being perennial powers are done. It’s a two team race now.

ADVERTISEMENT