ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers v. Va Tech Entrance-The Standard

Shhhhhhh. No. It hasn't been played in 3rd down for the first 2 games. Only at the end of quarters & on TDs.

I'm praying that continues
They've definitely been playing it, but not every time. I believe they stopped doing it during the Howard game when the score started to get lopsided, and in the Akron game sometimes it seemed random when they wouldn't play it. I know because I'm one of the few people still doing the air guitar to it rather than the awkward wave that it morphed into.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'll keep pushing Zep's Immigrant Song for the entrance...Hammer of the Gods...We R Your OverLords. The song's been kicking azz for over 50 years, and isn't stopping.
I loved when they brought out the basketball team to the Immigrant Song, RAC was hopping. But of course , someone decided they will change what they enter to in the middle of the season.
This is the reason we cannot have nice things. We are not consistent throughout. In football we have The Sopranos , the horse and who knows what when the team comes out. Mostly the fans standing around until the team runs out. Next year entrance music will change again.

I loved when they brought out the basketball team to the Immigrant Song, RAC was hopping. But of course , someone decided they will change what they enter to in the middle of the season.
This is the reason we cannot have nice things. We are not consistent throughout. In football we have The Sopranos , the horse and who knows what when the team comes out. Mostly the fans standing around until the team runs out. Next year entrance music will change again.
Yea if we only know why? Should ask the guy in charge of in game production.

my bad - thought the v was comparing not the game itself. Looked pretty cool. Awesome that so many went down.

Enter Sandman is such a great entrance song. Ever since Billy Wagner made it famous for baseball players as a walk on song, I’ve loved it.

I'll keep pushing Zep's Immigrant Song for the entrance...Hammer of the Gods...We R Your OverLords. The song's been kicking azz for over 50 years, and isn't stopping.
Agree, although I'd use the cover version from "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo":

PS - Just cranked that video on my PC's sound-system, after posting, and it scared the crap out of my dog (not literally, thankfully). Don't think he's a fan, at least not at high volume. LOL

I posted in another thread somewhere, but I think there are a lot of great songs as options for stadium entrance and third downs that Rutgers could use. It’s really whatever gets the players amped that matters. Either way two that I always thought of being good.

Entrance…

3rd Down…. The “rally around the family” portion repeating a few times.

While I'm a fan of all TOOL's music, they're one of my favorite artists, I don't think it's a great fit for football games.

We should go with complete silence. That would mess with the other team.
If we could both fill the stadium with fans, pregame, and then, just prior to the team coming out, get the fans, the DJ, everyone to go instantly silent on some prearranged subtle cue, and then the team walks slowly out on the field, lined up 6 players abreast, not marching, but in lock-step... that probably would be somewhat unexpected and intimidating. Perfect for the blackout game.

But it kinda would only work once, or maybe once per season.

Reactions: MrsScrew
While I'm a fan of all TOOL's music, they're one of my favorite artists, I don't think it's a great fit for football games.
This Tool song is a banger and good pump up song for lifting, but not sure the older alums would approve of the title. Lyrics a little to strong too:

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s
And a dope Beastie tee, nipple rings, new tattoos
That claimed that he was OGT
Back from '92, from the first EP

And in between sips of Coke, he told me
That he thought we were selling out
Layin' down, suckin' up to the man

Well now, I've got some advice for you, little buddy
Before you point the finger, you should know that I'm the man
I'm the man, and you're the man, and he's the man as well
So you can point that f**kin' finger up your @zz

Reactions: mildone
This Tool song is a banger and good pump up song for lifting, but not sure the older alums would approve of the title. Lyrics a little to strong too:

I met a boy wearing Vans, 501s
And a dope Beastie tee, nipple rings, new tattoos
That claimed that he was OGT
Back from '92, from the first EP

And in between sips of Coke, he told me
That he thought we were selling out
Layin' down, suckin' up to the man

Well now, I've got some advice for you, little buddy
Before you point the finger, you should know that I'm the man
I'm the man, and you're the man, and he's the man as well
So you can point that f**kin' finger up your @zz

That whole ænima album is musical and lyrical genius. But yeah, agree that it is probably not a fit for many old timers (or many young people, for that matter). I'd be psyched if they got some "air time" during games, but there's little chance of that.

I'm a fan of pretty much all their stuff, and some of Puscifer's (e.g. "The Remedy"), one of Maynard's side projects (which is maybe slightly more approachable for some). I first got hooked on TOOL's music because of the intensely talented musicality (which I think lots of people miss due to the style, kinda understandable). I heard the singing as part of the song, but pretty much ignored the lyrics themselves.

But after a while, I started paying more attention to the lyrics and, after doing some reading of MJK interviews, and some stuff written about him and the band, I started to gain an appreciation for the many layers of meanings in the lyrics and I grew to like their music even more.

Anyway, I'm rambling and have strayed far off-topic.

Shhhhhhh. No. It hasn't been played in 3rd down for the first 2 games. Only at the end of quarters & on TDs.

I'm praying that continues
The Metallica Song??? I thought that was a Rutgers Thing that they actually had right (other than the stupid air guitar hand thingy that prevents fans to get LOUD on third downs).

Agree, although I'd use the cover version from "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo":

PS - Just cranked that video on my PC's sound-system, after posting, and it scared the crap out of my dog (not literally, thankfully). Don't think he's a fan, at least not at high volume. LOL
Pretty good version--I heard it before and like it, especially the beginning 30 seconds. But overall not heavy enough guitar and drums imo, sounds a little like an electronic music synthesizer. Plus, I need the musical vision of Plant wailing as the mythical Viking god, Bonham thundering on the drums as the marauding Viking, Page's guitar driving the Viking ships and JPJ steadying the whole attack.

Reactions: mildone
The thing is, Enter Sandman was popular at that time, with the students at that time. The song became iconic and never became cringe, so it stuck. Trying to throw another 35+ year old song out there as a banger that the kiddos would enjoy just as much as anyone else is not going to work except by a huge accident.

2Unlimited's "Get Ready For This" was a colossal hit and incredible pump up song in 1991. It doesn't stand the test of time though. Heck, you guys dislike all that Jock Rock stuff but ESPN sold a billion albums in 1995. They don't work today though.

Neither does Bruce anything.
Neither does vintage Tool.
AC/DC "For Those About To Rock" was a bitchin' opener at Islanders games in 1994.
Don't even think about Bon Jovi. That ship sailed, came back, and sailed again.

You'd need something modern and iconic. It's too bad today's music kinda blows, so we're stuck trying to force 40 year old stadium power rock into a 2020's landscape. Good luck.

The thing is, Enter Sandman was popular at that time, with the students at that time. The song became iconic and never became cringe, so it stuck. Trying to throw another 35+ year old song out there as a banger that the kiddos would enjoy just as much as anyone else is not going to work except by a huge accident.

2Unlimited's "Get Ready For This" was a colossal hit and incredible pump up song in 1991. It doesn't stand the test of time though. Heck, you guys dislike all that Jock Rock stuff but ESPN sold a billion albums in 1995. They don't work today though.

AC/DC "For Those About To Rock" was a bitchin' opener at Islanders games in 1994.

You'd need something modern and iconic. It's too bad today's music kinda blows, so we're stuck trying to force 40 year old stadium power rock into a 2020's landscape. Good luck.
That’s kind of a depressing take. Accurate, but depressing.

Reactions: William J. Leggett

The Knight Pulse is the most current. It's originally from 2015 as an adaptation of The Hum.

Spot on…. We have completely lost a generation… The 90’s we the last great innovation in “style” regarding music, fashion and art IMO. Everything since has been a regurgitation of the past 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.

Remixes… Reboots and Remakes…. JFC… Just look at all the movies that were rebooted recently. They even remade Karate Kid…

Admittedly I am under 35 but don’t understand this song as a pump up song. It makes me want to subtly nod my head but not run through a wall. Great stadium environment though

I was trying to find a way to nicely say the same thing. lol I have been googling like crazy for anything remotely, rock/hiphop/rap- that is in the past 10 years, NJ performer and is about NJ...No damn luck- all these performers must of had parents that were ABR. lol

We’re overthinking this thing big time. You are never going to hit a specific demo with this nor should we try since all ages are in the stadium. Just pick something that gets people energized and stick with it.

Why don't we go in a different direction. Since we are the knights we should be coming out to some deep bass driven medieval drums. If done properly it would be adrenaline pumping and intimidating.

Why don't we go in a different direction. Since we are the knights we should be coming out to some deep bass driven medieval drums. If done properly it would be adrenaline pumping and intimidating.
That is why I like tge Rrrr Uuuuu

But- doing something mid-evil is cool

Better than any 1990’s song

There’s always Happy The Man’s “Service With A Smile” as an entry song. It’s kinda the definition of dramatic, if a wee bit obscure.,,

That's a good idea (USC does not have any music as far as I could tell from their video):

Knights of the Round Table.

But the Temple opening last year with the Knight Pulse was great--and no need for a song after the Knight Pulse.

I wish we weren't.

Because not only did they sing Enter the Sandman acapella, they sang the last half of the National Anthem acapella as well & both were awesome.
The crowd in our section sang the National Anthem when the mic went out last game. We can do it.

We're overthinking this
They didn't play Sandman one day and things went nuts - it started during the Vick era and grew from there, to now one of the most iconic entrances in college football

Kids don't care about old tunes vs new songs
They want cool, and something they can get into

I'm telling you - make it living on a Prayer
Keep w/the Jersey theme - like outside w/the Boardwalk, etc.

Have Sir Scarlet come out, ala UVA's entrance, but make it Jersey ish on sterioids w/Bon Jovi
Have "Born to Run" or another song on in the parking lot over the loudspeakers signaling there's ~45 minutes until game time

Keep the same entrance song for a few years, and eventually the kids will get into it along w/the regular fans
Not that complicated

Reactions: kupuna133
That's a good idea (USC does not have any music as far as I could tell from their video):

Knights of the Round Table.

But the Temple opening last year with the Knight Pulse was great--and no need for a song after the Knight Pulse.

Classic example of over produced. Get the crowd rocking with Knight Pulse then play ac/dc for 2 minutes and lose them then try to get them going again. Do one or the other not all of them.

Can't start the team entrance 15 minutes before the game and expect momentum. Have band play up until 3 minutes before team entrance begins. Band forms tunnel. Play one intro song, horse runs out onto field followed by cheerleaders and Rutgers flags and bring the team out directly behind. Not hard.

All done within 3-5 minutes of kickoff not at the 12 minute mark.

We're overthinking this
They didn't play Sandman one day and things went nuts - it started during the Vick era and grew from there, to now one of the most iconic entrances in college football

Kids don't care about old tunes vs new songs
They want cool, and something they can get into

I'm telling you - make it living on a Prayer
Keep w/the Jersey theme - like outside w/the Boardwalk, etc.

Have Sir Scarlet come out, ala UVA's entrance, but make it Jersey ish on sterioids w/Bon Jovi
Have "Born to Run" or another song on in the parking lot over the loudspeakers signaling there's ~45 minutes until game time

Keep the same entrance song for a few years, and eventually the kids will get into it along w/the regular fans
Not that complicated
Hard no on bon jovi

Classic example of over produced. Get the crowd rocking with Knight Pulse then play ac/dc for 2 minutes and lose them then try to get them going again. Do one or the other not all of them.

Can't start the team entrance 15 minutes before the game and expect momentum. Have band play up until 3 minutes before team entrance begins. Band forms tunnel. Play one intro song, horse runs out onto field followed by cheerleaders and Rutgers flags and bring the team out directly behind. Not hard.

All done within 3-5 minutes of kickoff not at the 12 minute mark.
Agree with you. The horse, into the Sopranos video into the team leaves the tunnel to the Knight Pulse would not be bad.

The team does come out too early before kickoff. You would think you would want to wait to get more fans in the seats. Thats on Schiano.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT