ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football defeats Virginia Tech, 26-23

AK with 266 yards passing is awesome.
100%. In previous seasons, the discussion was that we’re one dimensional and if the run game can’t get it done, we don’t have a prayer. AK proved today he can do more than we’ve been used to around here. The run game wasn’t there today (give VT credit) and we won a road game in a tough environment.

This was a great game result, if not something to hang in a museum.

Road win over a legit P5... uhhh... P4 team that is highly respected.

So much closer to a blowout win than an actual loss.

Lots of film to study, things to clean up. But now defenses have to respect the RPO rollouts on multiple levels. Plus that flanker screen to Strong that flipped the field, gotta watch out for that.

KM struggled compared to what we expect but he and the OL took the game over in that last minute. Brown looked like the legit threat we need to spell KM, too.

AK 64% again. No turnovers for him again despite a couple that could've been. He made some nice runs too.

D tackling was poor, no doubt. But Bailey and Powell returning is HUGE. Longerbeam stepped up to get that ball back with an AMAZING play.

Let's beat those Huskies to finish September 4-0!

D is very disappointing. They need to step it up or we’re not gonna meet our pre-season expectations.

Questionable offensive calls in 2nd half- Yes Including going for a 53 yard FG (probably to show confidence in Patel)
Longerbeam- smart player - knew the right play was to drop to ground with interception rather than risking a fumble back to VT.
AK - is tough and very game aware.
Almost turning point was fumble on 1 yard line. VT players did a great job causing the fumble
Love RPO- the use of tight ends.
Strong is an asset- shame their DB caught up to him at the 11.
Patel was off his game.
Surprised VT made the comeback.
Having Lewis back is BIG.
Happy to have a road win and Happy to have 1st ever Blacksburg Win.
AK should win the Game Ball---- Big Upgrade from where we were.

Did you watch the entire game? I'm pretty sure the defense had a great impact in the Rutgers win. I love those that cry after a win especially being an underdog. Ugh!
I did, and we were gassed in the 4th Q. We got absolutely no pressure on the QB. And we lost contain multiple times on those sweeps. Plus we were burned badly twice deep. We do that again and we’re gonna get burned. Drones is a below average passing QB luckily for us.

But they didn't hit them. We made mistakes and so did they. Our QB made the plays to win us the game, theirs didn't.
Agree but my point was that a better QB would’ve hit at least one of those if not both. And we will face much better QBs very soon.

Reactions: RU#1fan
I did, and we were gassed in the 4th Q. We got absolutely no pressure on the QB. And we lost contain multiple times on those sweeps. Plus we were burned badly twice deep. We do that again and we’re gonna get burned. Drones is a below average passing QB luckily for us.
So you crying about a win as an underdog, gotcha!

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Which could be why we pressed more and got beat deep. More worried about short throws and him running. Each week will be different based on opponent

Reactions: gef21
Their wrs did an elite job of not allowing us to keep contain. Might be the best group we see all year.

We did a phenomenal job in pass coverage IMHO.
Phenomenal coverage in Pass defense? An accurate Passer ( like QB Will Rogers of Washington) hits those wide open receivers who got behind our Coverage twice. Thank god it was QB Drones who missed 2 TDs.
Overall tackling was almost as bad as the Maryland game last year. Particularly by the Secondary. Lots to work on in this short week.

Reactions: BossNJ
About the VT QB, a quick google found this :
>Kyron Drones finished fourth in the ACC media's preseason player of the year voting, with 13 first-place votes. Drones took over as starting quarterback in the Hokies' third game of 2023 and finished the season with 2,084 yards passing, 17 touchdowns and three interceptions<
It might just be the RU D did a good job and considering RU was a 3.5 underdog, this was a good win on the road.

But they didn't hit them. We made mistakes and so did they. Our QB made the plays to win us the game, theirs didn't.
Missing the obvious point. A good passer makes those passes and there are 2 Touchdowns due to our Secondary not in coverage. QB Will Rogers of Washington has a 77% completion rate this season. Clean up needed. Our QB play is dramatically better than last year.

Missing the obvious point. A good passer makes those passes and there are 2 Touchdowns due to our Secondary not in coverage. QB Will Rogers of Washington has a 77% completion rate this season. Clean up needed. Our QB play is dramatically better than last year.
And yet they are 2-1.

I do not play hypotheticals. We held drones to 13/27 for 137 and no TDs with an INT and a fumble. That is a good stat line.

And yet they are 2-1.

I do not play hypotheticals. We held drones to 13/27 for 137 and no TDs with an INT and a fumble. That is a good stat line.
They just blew out Northwestern. Now 3-1
Their loss was in state emotional rivalry game Apple Cup vs. WSU

AK was the difference today. Best big game QB performance in many years. Seemed to me that AK was responsible for key-decision making, running triple options with great success. I liked Gavin because he could run, but AK is not only much better, but the degree of difficulty seems much harder. Gavin was mostly running set plays.

AK was the difference today. Best big game QB performance in many years. Seemed to me that AK was responsible for key-decision making, running triple options with great success. I liked Gavin because he could run, but AK is not only much better, but the degree of difficulty seems much harder. Gavin was mostly running set plays.

AK ran just fine. His net 16 rush yards include the 18 yards of loss on the 3 sacks and the 7 yards lost on the kneel down, correct?

For the avoidance of doubt, 2 of those sacks were credited to 3 defenders who did not even play for VT last year. That doesn’t even account for their injuries on D or the fact that the game was at home. We weren’t going to win this game in 2024 without throwing the ball even with the most mobile QB possible. Vandy would’ve also lost by the way if that game was in Blacksburg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT