ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Values

vascosg

All Conference
Jan 13, 2008
The whole Ohio State National Champions Urban Meyer NJ Recruiting Win at any cost thing is pretty exciting. I am sure there a lot of fans who would grab him in a second given an opportunity. It's hard to argue his results. The fact that we are in the same conversation is amazing given where we've come from. We still have a long way to go. However, I absolutely love what we are doing here at Rutgers. We are building a tradition and a set of values that will make Rutgers a very unique place.

F.A.M.I.L.Y - Every recruit says it, they see it when they visit, they talk it when they play, they learn it at an early age

Academics - We practice what we preach, APR's, advisors, coaches focused on grades, high academic standards, preparing our kids for life after football

Pro-style - Maybe not the Win Button like the spread, but definitely a win button in terms of preparation for those who see football as their next step http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/how_college_spread_offenses_ar.html

Coaching - Rutgers has hired dynamic young coaches who know how to teach the game. Our reputation of preparing our players for the next level is a direct result of the environment we've built.

Administration - JH is changing the face of athletics, slowly but with purpose, towards a high standard of excellence. Floods out of the box thinking to surround ourselves with talented people, whether they be connected young coaches or seasoned business men, to serve a purpose and build the foundation upon which the school can truly do something different.

Recruiting - Jersey Strong. Florida Born. Brooklyn in Da House. The State of Rutgers. Our heavy emphasis on identifying them young, being first....

Loyalty - Being there early and being people of our word - maybe a little too Old School for some - but in today's day and age, definitely different, definitely Rutgers.

New Jersey is not New York - Never will be. Never want to be. As much as this is true, there will always be that bond between us - brothers and cousins - who will stand together in a time of need. The place where many go to work. The place from which many first came. The lines get blurred.

The Empire State Building Scarlet Red.

Not bad at all. I think you did a good job on accentuating the positives in terms of how we should see our identity!

RU has to take great care against "big time" program forces that can challenge or compromise those values. When we see big booster $ enter (such as Towers), RU needs to be on guard, especially $ that originate from non-alum sources. I'm all for shaping a competitive program, but shaping a championship program may not be possible, given what that likely takes in terms of compromising values, ethics, etc.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Don't fool yourself. Rutgers, as a large research institution, has always had to raise public and private money. Taking the next step means being more self reliant in the pursuit of those funds. It means forming economic relationships rather than purely political. Rutgers has struggled against those political pressures for a very long time. Rutgers has at times struggled with it's own alma mater's apathy. It has struggled with it's own academics views against sports. The values we are building will remind some from where they came and remind others to where they go. They are values that can be shared by all sides of the campus. They are values of inclusion in a school that is one of the most multi-cultural in the country. We are leading the charge in a world that can only look for reasons to hate. We still have a long way to go. One step at a time.

And yet many (especially on this board) want RU to become OSU ..where football drives everything. I don't think that will happen, much to the dislike of the front running "win at all costs" crowd.

You guys act like these are mutually exclusive items, can't have excellent football without distancing oneself from solid values. Simply not the case, any program can have both. Implying OSU doesn't have any values built in to its program, and the university is only football oriented is also a false observation, IMO. Maybe some of you aren't implying that, but thats what I am inferring from it.

Originally posted by Ru2bnj:

And yet many (especially on this board) want RU to become OSU ..where football drives everything. I don't think that will happen, much to the dislike of the front running "win at all costs" crowd.
I'll settle for Stanford.

"I'll settle for Stanford."

Stanford at Rutgers prices. Sounds like a great deal! Where can we sign up?

Seriously, though, Stanford has been quite exceptional in its ability to field a strong athletic program while maintaining such high academic standards. It is essentially "Ivy League West" and has the advantage of not having 7 other Ivies in its region competing with it for the good students, among them many athletes.

I give RU football credit for its values even if they overcook the family stuff (and all teams talk about being a "family" - they just don't jump the shark with tacky jerseys). It would just be nice if they start thinking more like a B1G football team and not a Big East team chasing down Patriot League players while other B1G teams eat their lunch. Maybe that new postion with the donor is a good sign but hard to see anti-RU media and overreactive turkeys like Barfi letting that sort of thing work out easy.

Originally posted by 1BOJ1:
You guys act like these are mutually exclusive items, can't have excellent football without distancing oneself from solid values. Simply not the case, any program can have both. Implying OSU doesn't have any values built in to its program, and the university is only football oriented is also a false observation, IMO. Maybe some of you aren't implying that, but thats what I am inferring from it.
If you don't think it's mutually exclusive you haven't been paying attention. To try to equate what OSU, LSU, FSU, BAMA, USC does and what RU does are two entirely different things. It's how deep you want to go into the cesspool...hopefully RU only goes ankle or knee deep and not neck deep.

Originally posted by ecojew:
"I'll settle for Stanford."

Stanford at Rutgers prices. Sounds like a great deal! Where can we sign up?

Seriously, though, Stanford has been quite exceptional in its ability to field a strong athletic program while maintaining such high academic standards. It is essentially "Ivy League West" and has the advantage of not having 7 other Ivies in its region competing with it for the good students, among them many athletes.

Here's an answer ...Andrew Luck. If you think this thing will be at the top of the PAC 12 over the next 5 years..I would say not.

A Football Program of which to be PROUD.Now,with a little PATIENCE on the part of the FANS this will translate into WINS on the field. This is that to which we have been seeking for some time. AND it is slowly unfolding all around us. GO RUTGERS.!!
Originally posted by vascosg:

The whole Ohio State National Champions Urban Meyer NJ Recruiting Win at any cost thing is pretty exciting. I am sure there a lot of fans who would grab him in a second given an opportunity. It's hard to argue his results. The fact that we are in the same conversation is amazing given where we've come from. We still have a long way to go. However, I absolutely love what we are doing here at Rutgers. We are building a tradition and a set of values that will make Rutgers a very unique place.

F.A.M.I.L.Y - Every recruit says it, they see it when they visit, they talk it when they play, they learn it at an early age

Academics - We practice what we preach, APR's, advisors, coaches focused on grades, high academic standards, preparing our kids for life after football

Pro-style - Maybe not the Win Button like the spread, but definitely a win button in terms of preparation for those who see football as their next step http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/how_college_spread_offenses_ar.html

Coaching - Rutgers has hired dynamic young coaches who know how to teach the game. Our reputation of preparing our players for the next level is a direct result of the environment we've built.

Administration - JH is changing the face of athletics, slowly but with purpose, towards a high standard of excellence. Floods out of the box thinking to surround ourselves with talented people, whether they be connected young coaches or seasoned business men, to serve a purpose and build the foundation upon which the school can truly do something different.

Recruiting - Jersey Strong. Florida Born. Brooklyn in Da House. The State of Rutgers. Our heavy emphasis on identifying them young, being first....

Loyalty - Being there early and being people of our word - maybe a little too Old School for some - but in today's day and age, definitely different, definitely Rutgers.

New Jersey is not New York - Never will be. Never want to be. As much as this is true, there will always be that bond between us - brothers and cousins - who will stand together in a time of need. The place where many go to work. The place from which many first came. The lines get blurred.

Unfortunately, this pitch isn't working because we've landed below average Power 5 conf. recruiting classes two years in a row. That being said, I think it is more the fault of the messengers than the message.

Values are not a pitch just like being a fan is not conditional on whether you win or lose. Coaching up non P5 recruiting classes to win 8 games in the B1G and destroy another P5 in a bowl is a result any loyal fan would be happy with. Seeing so many former Rutgers players representing in the Super Bowl is something to make one proud. Keeping our under rated recruits when Michigan, Penn State and the SEC come raiding will put a smile on anyone's but the most jaded fan's faces. Competing toe to toe with the national champion and bringing in 4 top recruits from NJ, PA and FL so early in the cycle only demonstrate that the state of rutgers is for real. One can Dream Team 16 and be a fan or one can crawl into that dark corner of the world where the miserable realists live. It's all about values.

This post was edited on 2/15 10:35 AM by vascosg

Well, I guess I would need somebody to expand on the idea of what OSU, Bama, FSU, etc do as opposed to Rutgers (my question being how is anyone on on this board going to say the before mentioned football programs are "valueless" or not on par with Rutgers without first researching what those are at those schools). Stanford is able to achieve this on a high level, so my point was that it certainly can be done if a school makes it its mission, as Stanford football has. Heck you can probably lump Duke basketball in there too. Moreover, it is not fair to other schools just to assume that b/c they are good at football they are cutting corners on the value of education. Was more or less my point. It can certainly be debunked, and I'd be happy to hear the opinions and debate it if I felt contrary.

Edit: sorry, this was in reply to Ru2bnj reply to my take, thought I hit the quote button; whoops.
This post was edited on 2/21 5:26 PM by 1BOJ1

Lol..no one is advocating cheating or no values...but we need to be more like the big boys and not less if we want to compete for championships or even make a decent bowl for once...the Rutgers values will gwt you 7-5/8-4 so be aware of that. And its not all or nothing...I see the successful programs getting slammef and laugh..welcome to big boy football

Emphasizing values in college football is like emphasizing personality on the ugly chick.

I love it when people say, "sure, (fill in the blank) is successful, but they are all about win at any cost, don't have values, cheat, etc..."

I see it said in college football, other sports both professional and amateur, as well as business, politics, and anywhere that competition exists. It's a great excuse and rationalization for mediocrity.

Thanks for posting this. I am proud to be an RU fan largely because of this. If we don't reach the pinnacle because of such values, then I don't want to be there. However I don't except this premise at all; it is just an excuse that cheaters use IMO . For me there is no value in reaching any goal which you obtained by cheating.

I want to believe you can aim just as high as anyone while doing things the right way. The main thing you have to accept that it is likely going to take you much longer when not taking short cuts - and the people with whom you are competing are going to try to use your values against you.

IMO it is true that schools aren't going to 100% honorable or 100% cheaters. Schools will fall all across the spectrum - but most schools are going to be close to one extreme or the other.

IMO If you are trying to run your program the right way, then you may be susceptible to some temptations, but you are not going to be anywhere near to a rogue program unless you change your values.

IMO Schools who accept the fact they have to cheat are eventually going to end up on the serious-cheater end of the spectrum, because they will quickly find that a little cheating is a waste of time when running with the Big Boys. It is more likely to become a contest to see who can cheat the best than to be a matter of how far a little cheating will take you.

The whole Ohio State National Champions Urban Meyer NJ Recruiting Win at any cost thing is pretty exciting. I am sure there a lot of fans who would grab him in a second given an opportunity.
I don't like the idea of taking an unnecessary pot-shot at another Big Ten program in order to highlight the virtue of our own.

Can you please point out "any cost" paid by the Ohio State program under the Urban Meyer regime, which would justify the bus under which you just tried to throw them?

Originally posted by SanFranRutgers:
The whole Ohio State National Champions Urban Meyer NJ Recruiting Win at any cost thing is pretty exciting. I am sure there a lot of fans who would grab him in a second given an opportunity.
I don't like the idea of taking an unnecessary pot-shot at another Big Ten program in order to highlight the virtue of our own.

Can you please point out "any cost" paid by the Ohio State program under the Urban Meyer regime, which would justify the bus under which you just tried to throw them?
The problem with the "They win at all cost" accusations is that it is a broad brush accusation that it is a broad brush accusation that is both biased and inaccurate.

i will agree that very often individuals who are at the pinnacle of their industry often push things to the limit. But that doesn't mean that they actively involve themselves in wholesale cheating, or cheat at all.

Troll Post Alert.

Troll Post Alert.

And just to be clear, running up the score on a fellow B1G program so you can get your ranking up is an example of "any cost". It need not be "cheating" as you implied. It could be something as simple as misleading a recruit. How you read it is up to you. Is there more to it? I'm sure others will derail the thread - especially those who despise the man. I never went there - you did. That is what's called a troll post.
This post was edited on 2/21 6:28 PM by vascosg

You call that a troll post? Did I accidentally get onto the BWI board?

If you feel that scoring points on a team is a win at all cost example, then You've really broadened that definition.

Regarding the telling lies to recruit. I suppose that you are referring to the Mike Webber thing. Where was lying involved? Maybe you should find another sport to follow. Actually, maybe you shouldn't follow sports at all.

Troll Post Alert.

And just to be clear, running up the score on a fellow B1G program so you can get your ranking up is an example of "any cost". It need not be "cheating" as you implied. It could be something as simple as misleading a recruit. How you read it is up to you. Is there more to it? I'm sure others will derail the thread - especially those who despise the man. I never went there - you did. That is what's called a troll post.
LOL; what? Not trying to flame here, but there are many inaccuracies in your post. First, you obviously have no clue what a "troll post" is, second, the guy that posted is a Rutgers fan according to his name (SanFranRutgers). Third, OSU did not run up the score on Rutgers, good God its like only half of the people here understand what running up the score is in football, true travesty (but go ahead and blame another coach for his team being much better; there are several Rutgers fans here, myself included, that will tell you that's not running up the score). Fourth, I am assuming you are referring to Mike Weber at OSU; the kid has not once stated he felt mislead (nor requested out of his LOI, or anything remotely close); the coach of his high school team that ranted over the whole thing was in OSU's practice facility the other day. So what in the holy hell are you talking about?

Originally posted by klemman:
You call that a troll post? Did I accidentally get onto the BWI board?

If you feel that scoring points on a team is a win at all cost example, then You've really broadened that definition.

Regarding the telling lies to recruit. I suppose that you are referring to the Mike Webber thing. Where was lying involved? Maybe you should find another sport to follow. Actually, maybe you shouldn't follow sports at all.
You do know what running up the score means? do you? well, maybe your not a sport person and are unfamiliar with the term. It's used when a team has already completed dominated an opponent and is ahead by quiet a few touchdowns and rather than say punt on a 4th and long, they choose to try to convert so they can score even more points to make themselves look even better at the cost of hurting the pride of a fellow conference mate. Hitting them when their down is a non-sports term if it helps you. Some would call it unsportsmanlike. I would call it an example of winning at any cost.

As to "lies", I only said misled. You said "lies". Is that because you feel it was a lie and not just a situation of misleading someone? I guess you were ok with the whole situation. That's fine. I am not - to me it's a cost as well.

And yes, starting a debate about Urban Meyer on a Rutgers forum would seem to be a little trollish to me.

Troll Post Alert.

LOL; what? Not trying to flame here, but there are many inaccuracies in your post. First, you obviously have no clue what a "troll post" is, second, the guy that posted is a Rutgers fan according to his name (SanFranRutgers). Third, OSU did not run up the score on Rutgers, good God its like only half of the people here understand what running up the score is in football, true travesty (but go ahead and blame another coach for his team being much better; there are several Rutgers fans here, myself included, that will tell you that's not running up the score). Fourth, I am assuming you are referring to Mike Weber at OSU; the kid has not once stated he felt mislead (nor requested out of his LOI, or anything remotely close); the coach of his high school team that ranted over the whole thing was in OSU's practice facility the other day. So what in the holy hell are you talking about?
Wasn't talking about Rutgers. Thinking it was Nebraska/Wisconsin - not sure. You can google it and find lots of examples - here's a recent one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-suttle/was-god-urban-meyers-insp_b_6471180.html

This post was edited on 2/21 7:09 PM by vascosg

This post was edited on 2/21 7:17 PM by vascosg

Troll Post Alert.

Wasn't talking about Rutgers. Thinking it was Nebraska/Wisconsin - not sure. You can google it and find lots of examples - here's a recent one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-suttle/was-god-urban-meyers-insp_b_6471180.html

Well not to get into an argument, but you said he did against a fellow B1G team, but you don't even know what game it was (if you are going to accuse him, at least have a game in mind)? They didn't play Nebraska, and yes they put up mad points on Wisconsin in the championship game, but in no way did they run up the score on wisky, wisky simply couldn't stop a nosebleed that night. Anyhow, I also disagree he ran the score up against Oregon. Oregon had timeouts, had OSU just kneed the ball, Oregon could call a timeout which would have nullified the reason for taking a knee (not only that, its a bit of a dick move to knee the ball in the red zone; it is more disrespectful to the team than giving them a shot to stop you--this has been my experience as a ball player anyhow). However, it matters not; I just don't see him as this sort of villain ppl try to portray him as, by any means. Just my humble internet opinion, as they say.

Troll Post Alert.

Well not to get into an argument, but you said he did against a fellow B1G team, but you don't even know what game it was (if you are going to accuse him, at least have a game in mind)? They didn't play Nebraska, and yes they put up mad points on Wisconsin in the championship game, but in no way did they run up the score on wisky, wisky simply couldn't stop a nosebleed that night. Anyhow, I also disagree he ran the score up against Oregon. Oregon had timeouts, had OSU just kneed the ball, Oregon could call a timeout which would have nullified the reason for taking a knee (not only that, its a bit of a dick move to knee the ball in the red zone; it is more disrespectful to the team than giving them a shot to stop you--this has been my experience as a ball player anyhow). However, it matters not; I just don't see him as this sort of villain ppl try to portray him as, by any means. Just my humble internet opinion, as they say.
You're right in that I don't really make a good case by not remembering the game lol

You do know what running up the score means? do you? well, maybe your not a sport person and are unfamiliar with the term. It's used when a team has already completed dominated an opponent and is ahead by quiet a few touchdowns and rather than say punt on a 4th and long, they choose to try to convert so they can score even more points to make themselves look even better at the cost of hurting the pride of a fellow conference mate. Hitting them when their down is a non-sports term if it helps you. Some would call it unsportsmanlike. I would call it an example of winning at any cost.

As to "lies", I only said misled. You said "lies". Is that because you feel it was a lie and not just a situation of misleading someone? I guess you were ok with the whole situation. That's fine. I am not - to me it's a cost as well.

And yes, starting a debate about Urban Meyer on a Rutgers forum would seem to be a little trollish to me.
Vascosg, you call having an Urban Meyer debate a troll thing? YOU STARTED THE THREAD! And you mentioned Meyer and OSU in your first sentence! We are responding to you. LOL.

Against Wisconsin they did run up the score. They had to in order to get into the playoffs. And Meyer does go for it on 4th in games. He did it several times agains Alabama and Oregon. He's done it against Michigan State and tried it against Clemson. It's part of his game. He does it against lesser opponents to prepare his team for those moments in big games. It's called coaching. And you're accusing me of not being a sport person? Maybe you should stick to tee ball where everyone gets a participation trophy.

Oh, and long as you are considering me a troll because I responded to your post, I'll go along with your definition for the moment and troll some more.

So if we are going by definitions, to mislead is to give the wrong impression. To lie is to state a falsehood. I used the terms interchangeably not because I felt such a situation existed, but because the gist of your accusation was pretty obvious.

I will agree that Drayton didn't tell Weber that there was a possibility, a possibility, a possibility, that he would leave. I'll be honest. Last time I I was interviewing for another job I didn't tell my boss or companies we were in the process of making a deal with that I wouldn't do my job, even if I was still being paid to do it, because I might not be there for much longer. To me, that would be unethical.

Originally posted by klemman:
Oh, and long as you are considering me a troll because I responded to your post, I'll go along with your definition for the moment and troll some more.

So if we are going by definitions, to mislead is to give the wrong impression. To lie is to state a falsehood. I used the terms interchangeably not because I felt such a situation existed, but because the gist of your accusation was pretty obvious.

I will agree that Drayton didn't tell Weber that there was a possibility, a possibility, a possibility, that he would leave. I'll be honest. Last time I I was interviewing for another job I didn't tell my boss or companies we were in the process of making a deal with that I wouldn't do my job, even if I was still being paid to do it, because I might not be there for much longer. To me, that would be unethical.
Neither one of you know the conversation that occurred between Drayton and Weber. So there is zero reason for you to agree that Drayton said anything to Weber, as neither one of them has stated what one told the other, and unless you were on the line, you have no clue. This is the type of thing that chaps my ass. You guys create fiction to fill in story lines. When one of them states what they said on the line then you can say I told you so or w/e goes for interwebs comeupins at this point. Until then, everyone should stop acting like they know what conversation took place and stick to opinions.

True, I'll agree that I wasn't in the conversation. I would find it surprising given Weber's reaction that he was told Drayton might leave. But I don't think Drayton had to say anything. Mainly because he wasn't offered the job yet. And the momentary spur of the moment emotional reaction that Weber had, wasn't anyone's fault but Weber.

I'll assume that Drayton was selling OSU, Meyer as his head coach, the offensive system they run, the players who he'll be playing alongside, the success that the team and coaching staff has had, the facilities, and the level of comfort he has with the program. Again, Drayton was doing the job which at the last conversation they had before National Signing Day, he was still under obligation to do.

Originally posted by Ru2bnj:

Do you even know anything about Ohio State or are you just reciting tired stereotypes because we win at football. Here are some actual facts.

Ohio State is currently the third hardest (just surpassed both Illinois and Wisconsin) Big Ten university to get accepted into after Northwestern and Michigan.Ohio State's endowment is over $3.5B of which only a tiny percentage is devoted to the ADIn the last two years, we raised $401M and $408M in private donations respectively. In each year, athletic donations were around only 6% of the total.Ohio State athletics just received its first ever 8 figure donation at $10M exactly. We receive several each year for the academic side of the university, and I've lost track of how many in total.Our biggest donor (Les Wexner at $200M in lifetime giving) doesn't even care about football.We attracted over $900M in externally funded research last year.
Does that sound like a university that is being driven by football? We excel at football and always have, but that doesn't make us Alabama or Auburn.

This post was edited on 2/22 3:59 PM by ORD_Buckeye

C'mon guys. We have grown to like you over the past year for your epic trolling of those Penn State cultists. Don't make us start to not like you now.

Reactions: trotter

Troll Post Alert.
Did you just read "Message Board Comebacks for Dummies" this week?

Yes, I agree, we should be happy with our role as the lovable losers of the B1G East Division. I will take honesty, integrity, losing the the right way, the Rutgers way, over all the wins, bowls, and championships in the world. God bless the bottom feeders, for they, like the meek, shall one day inherit the earth!

If you don't think it's mutually exclusive you haven't been paying attention. To try to equate what OSU, LSU, FSU, BAMA, USC does and what RU does are two entirely different things. It's how deep you want to go into the cesspool...hopefully RU only goes ankle or knee deep and not neck deep.

Isn't that like only being a little pregnant?

Yes, I agree, we should be happy with our role as the lovable losers of the B1G East Division. I will take honesty, integrity, losing the the right way, the Rutgers way, over all the wins, bowls, and championships in the world. God bless the bottom feeders, for they, like the meek, shall one day inherit the earth!

Sarcasm, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT