ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Howard / GAME THREAD

I don't think this will burn his shirt. I could be wrong. I think you are allowed to play true fresh in the first 3 games before you burn their shirt
Noooo. We go through this on the board all the time. If you play AT ALL you burn your redshirt for that year. Medical redshirts are different.

Reactions: redking
Back under the bridge until next time we're down.

Unbelievable.
That was one ugly half. I sweated buckets and it wasn't just because of the heat. No excuse for the team coming out and playing so bad. Ash of all people knows you gotta play four quarters.

Reactions: vm7118
guessing we wont hear from you now that the second have has changed your narrative. You can also see (granted the two's are playing at this point) how different the offense is with a guy like Oden.
You realize you're proving his point, right? What changed after the 1st quarter? Hint: it wasn't the talent.

ru75 said:
Any Ash haters still here?
Back under the bridge until next time we're down.

Unbelievable.
Hope you two are not calling those who disputed posters claiming it was the players talent that caused the tie at halftime.
Ash's adjustments proved it wasn't the talent Flood recruited that had RU look so bad before the half.
Ash and staff needed to adjust their game-plan and in doing so proved their is hope
they are as good as thought.
In the first half the coaching wasn't getting it done and I posted that way.
Not because of hating Ash, but hating the way Rutgers was playing a school that
has far less talent and the excuses blaming Flood instead of the RU HC and staff.

With Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan coming up... I think we'll see more of Tyler and Gio, so don't mind redshirts being burned early in season, especially if it proves the staff is open minded.

The most telling sign that Laviano may be out is that they used both. Can't imagine they would burn Tyler's after Gio just played well, if they're even remotely comfortable with Lav. They want their guy in there sooner than later.

Reactions: miketd1
With Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan coming up... I think we'll see more of Tyler and Gio, so don't mind redshirts being burned early in season, especially if it proves the staff is open minded.

The most telling sign that Laviano may be out is that they used both. Can't imagine they would burn Tyler's after Gio just played well, if they're even remotely comfortable with Lav. They want their guy in there sooner than later.
I just don't understand why Gio only got the one play.

Wacky baseless conspiracy theory: Gio is actually our QB for conference play.

Penn state players literally crying on the bench...

hahahahaahahahahahahahaha :D

63738545.jpg

Wacky baseless conspiracy theory: Gio is actually our QB for conference play.
Clearly the coaches wanted to see what he could do but after that run (pick one):
  1. they saw all they needed to see.
  2. they didn't want to give opposing coaches any more game tape on him.
  3. they wanted to call more pass plays to evaluate his arm but didn't want to run up the score.

You realize you're proving his point, right? What changed after the 1st quarter? Hint: it wasn't the talent.
actually, it was the depth and stamina that changed..the talent differential showed late but when we play the better teams it is going to be tough for us to hang with them. The new talent at QB may be a factor going forward
Hint- with the same starters it will be rough sledding. Coaching up can only do so much. As has been said, we need the right talent for the scheme we are going to employ

Have to admire how the team responded to adversity today. The end result is what we should have seen from the start. We HAVE TO start games better- blocking, tackling, execution, route running, etc. There are no mulligans with the rest of our schedule like we had today

Reactions: OTBOTOR
actually, it was the depth and stamina that changed..the talent differential showed late but when we play the better teams it is going to be tough for us to hang with them. The new talent at QB may be a factor going forward
Hint- with the same starters it will be rough sledding. Coaching up can only do so much. As has been said, we need the right talent for the scheme we are going to employ
Assuming a switch is made.

Have to admire how the team responded to adversity today. The end result is what we should have seen from the start. We HAVE TO start games better- blocking, tackling, execution, route running, etc. There are no mulligans with the rest of our schedule like we had today
just be realistic in your expectations of what this team is capable of and you will be okay. Our pass D is bottom quartile and that means we have to do something different with the O than we did last year or we 4-8 at best

Reactions: KevH
ru75 said:
Any Ash haters still here?

Hope you two are not calling those who disputed posters claiming it was the players talent that caused the tie at halftime.
Ash's adjustments proved it wasn't the talent Flood recruited that had RU look so bad before the half.
Ash and staff needed to adjust their game-plan and in doing so proved their is hope
they are as good as thought.
In the first half the coaching wasn't getting it done and I posted that way.
Not because of hating Ash, but hating the way Rutgers was playing a school that
has far less talent and the excuses blaming Flood instead of the RU HC and staff.

I'm calling out one and every a-hole that wants to crucify the new HC based on a game or two. So fkn stupid I can't believe it's real. Did they do that to Schiano, too, his first game?

He's our coach now, he needs time and support. Complaining about his every mistake or flaw ain't helping anyone, including yourself.

I'm calling out one and every a-hole that wants to crucify the new HC based on a game or two. So fkn stupid I can't believe it's real. Did they do that to Schiano, too, his first game?

He's our coach now, he needs time and support. Complaining about his every mistake or flaw ain't helping anyone, including yourself.
Saying Rutgers should be playing better against Howard shouldn't be considered crucifying Ash but showing disappointment about having a FCS school being so competitive and having that blamed on the previous coach's recruiting ability .

I don't expect much from the team this year because of the talent Ash inherited and the change from Pro set to the spread, but won't blame Flood for everything that goes wrong this year and the first half of the Howard game was on Ash, not Flood as some tried to claim . Just like the adjustments made should be credited to Ash and not the players Flood
recruited. The adjustments Ash and his staff made at halftime proved it wasn't the talent that held RU back or Howard is better than expected and on equal footing in the talent department. but Ash and his staff didn't coach as good in the first half as they did the second.

Ash needs to be given time, but not excused when he isn't doing the job or have the blame pointed where it doesn't belong.
Blaming Flood for the way Rutgers was playing the first half was just wrong and Ash proved that in the second half after he made some needed adjustments in order to have the team play better.

Last edited:
Reactions: coldsprings
How about saying ash = shea.

Or we pay Ash the big bucks, now he's gotta earn it.

Or dozens of other posts of unintelligent drivel you can go read yourself.

Don't know that I was talking about you in particular.

How about saying ash = shea.

Or we pay Ash the big bucks, now he's gotta earn it.

Or dozens of other posts of unintelligent drivel you can go read yourself.

Don't know that I was talking about you in particular.
Meltdown comments should be expected when a team like the Bison is making RU look bad.
When blame is put on someone else, who left the program, because play on field sucks
you can expect fingers pointed to the culprit and sometimes the wrong way.
Ash;s honeymoon peroid ended during the Washington game, but that doesn't mean he's a failure.
It just means he's fair game like Flood was. Flood proved he deserved to be bashed, Ash has to prove he doesn't.
The way RU played in the second half makes it look like Ash probably doesn't deserve to be bashed, but the first half play shown he does deserve to be complained about when he's not looking so good.
Let's not make it hard to complain about him until he proves himself.

Last edited:
D1ESEL44 said:
I don't think this will burn his shirt. I could be wrong. I think you are allowed to play true fresh in the first 3 games before you burn their shirt

I believe you are correct.
Didn't know that.
Thought if a true freshman played one snap he lost the ability to redshirt in his freshman year.

Just to piggyback on MADHAT:

Just complaining about someone, or how the game is going, the plays called, the decisions on players should, not mean you're a hater. Complaints and compliments go hand-in-hand. Not to mention just how boring and eventually small this board would become if every post was a celebration of every play call, coaching decision, player, etc.

On that note: keep in mind a majority agreed that things would take time and the final arbiter of Ash's tenure would be how he recruits and the showing of significant improvement as the season wore on. That does excuse the fact that Rutgers was not prepared to play when the game started. Mentally unprepared. That is not totally foreign to teams that encounter teams they are supposed to crush. And domination wasn't completely due to half-time adjustments made by the coaching staff. What do you think was going on at the sidelines when the O or D was not on the field? Co-ordinators were not making adjustments? I'd chalk it up to a Howard team's exhaustion (no depth?) and Rutgers players being ripped a new one at half-time.

Oden and Gio's entrance into the game was NOT an audition to replace Laviano. More like giving them an introduction to the speed of the game and what it''s like to play big-time college ball on Saturday. I've said before: CL is Ash's QB for the foreseeable future. He will continue to get the vast majority of the reps in practice and games to learn the system. Only injury, or continued underperformance for an extended period and Ash coming to the conclusion that CL is not getting better will result in a change. And if that ever does happen, don't expect to see an eye popping debut like you saw against an exhausted, undermanned team whose first stringers aren't as talented as most of our 2nd string.

Just to piggyback on MADHAT:

Just complaining about someone, or how the game is going, the plays called, the decisions on players should, not mean you're a hater. Complaints and compliments go hand-in-hand. Not to mention just how boring and eventually small this board would become if every post was a celebration of every play call, coaching decision, player, etc.

On that note: keep in mind a majority agreed that things would take time and the final arbiter of Ash's tenure would be how he recruits and the showing of significant improvement as the season wore on. That does excuse the fact that Rutgers was not prepared to play when the game started. Mentally unprepared. That is not totally foreign to teams that encounter teams they are supposed to crush. And domination wasn't completely due to half-time adjustments made by the coaching staff. What do you think was going on at the sidelines when the O or D was not on the field? Co-ordinators were not making adjustments? I'd chalk it up to a Howard team's exhaustion (no depth?) and Rutgers players being ripped a new one at half-time.

Oden and Gio's entrance into the game was NOT an audition to replace Laviano. More like giving them an introduction to the speed of the game and what it''s like to play big-time college ball on Saturday. I've said before: CL is Ash's QB for the foreseeable future. He will continue to get the vast majority of the reps in practice and games to learn the system. Only injury, or continued underperformance for an extended period and Ash coming to the conclusion that CL is not getting better will result in a change. And if that ever does happen, don't expect to see an eye popping debut like you saw against an exhausted, undermanned team whose first stringers aren't as talented as most of our 2nd string.
hate is hard to define but we know it when we see it

I think Gio and Tylin being put in the game was serving Chris notice that if he starts slow against the Lobos , he'll be replaced ASAP.
If Oden's redshirt year was burnt Mehringer might be thinking of moving up his development and try to have him the starter by the end of this season .
Or play enough this year in preparation of being next year's starter.
Rescigno might be the placeholder if Laviano loses his starting position by not producing in the New Mexico game

Rettig and Allen , might just be bench-warmers, unless forced to be placed higher on the depth chart they seem to be far down on.

hate is hard to define but we know it when we see it
It is also was being thrown out against those posting their frustrations.
The first half was very frustrating and that breeds strong complaints, some over the top.
Just like the over the top excuse that somehow the way Rutgers was playing in the first half was Floods fault and not Ash's.
The way the Scarlet Knight players played the second half proved that excuse to be wrong.
Ash deserves credit for the way RU played in the second half, but also deserves the blame for the way Rutgers played in the first half and not everyone complaining is a hater.
Defend Ash against wrongful complaints, but don't make him above the ones he deserves and consider all those complaining haters

Actually, I neither blame Ash for the first half or credit him for the second. I believe we have issues on defense and in the passing game that will allow other teams to exploit us early. The better teams will close, the weaker, smaller, thin benched teams will fade in the second half. To blame Flood's recruiting is not really wrong but it is not helpful unless to defend the give Ash a chance viewpoint. There are Flood haters and Ash haters out there. It is the way it is but Flood did much to anger the fans while Ash has not.

So you would agree that Howard has better players at half......or better coaching?

RU has better players and coaching than Howard.

But, compared to the B1G teams, RU does not have enough talented players and are extremely bad at the starting QB position.

This is due to poor recruiting by Flood and his staff and by unfortunate player dismissals.

Ash will rebuild this program, mark my words.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT