ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Northwestern Wrestling Results and Update Thread

Northwestern had a great recruiting class last year and have 3 studs, redshirting, that will be in the lineup next season. .

what tough decisions does Julie have abro? geez u sound like a 5 yr old!!

Moving on up !

Purdue1-5-0.1678-7-0.533Northwestern1-6-0.1439-7-0.563Rutgers1-7-0.12511-7-0.611Michigan State0-6-0.0004-9-0.308Maryland0-7-0.0005-13-0.278Indiana0-7-0.0002-8-0.200

Abro, where are you getting your information from? The kids Del and AA wrestled are both tough. What decision does Julie have to make?

Originally posted by RUMatFan:

Abro, where are you getting your information from? The kids Del and AA wrestled are both tough. What decision does Julie have to make?
I'm pretty sure he's just looking at records and pretending to know what he's talking about

RU now has a Revenue producing Olympic sport with a non revenue producing coaching budget. Hermann grew up in wrestling mad Nebraska where she also attended U of Nebraska. I have a hunch Julie Hermann sees the potential of a better Ru wrestling team with many sell out RACs. Our team, in a state that maybe produces the 4th amount of NCAA qualifiers as any other state, is tied for next to last. Coach G has done a great job getting RU from where he inherited it to where it's at now. Do you think the AD Hermann is content??????? Do you think there is room for improvement???? Has RU met it's potential , reached it's potential or not? Do you think continuous improvement should be expected ??
PS- Ash should have destroyed his guy.

I crapped out more knowledge of Wrestling and Football this morning than you will ever have in your life.
Originally posted by ruteelrice:

I'm pretty sure he's just looking at records and pretending to know what he's talking about

Wow. Ashnault did look slugish but no way was he supp to tech him. Just another tough hard faught W. Malone is no push over either. Workman like win for Delv. Theos match would be closer but Tsirt seem to opened up his offence tonight. Not something he does often.

That's funny, you got the first two words right "I crapped" and then you went over the NJ.Com and posted all of the same garbage.

abro im sorry, but its hard to take you serious when your blaming camp for hrymack getting pinned!!!

Originally posted by Abro1975:
I crapped out more knowledge of Wrestling and Football this morning than you will ever have in your life.

roll.r191677.gif
Ok tough guy, keep copy pasting your knowledge on like 5 different sites

Not tough, just know a lot more than you, you , a no nothing poser like , who has zero respect of any respected fan in football or wrestling on any RU site anywhere. Ruteelrice, you should change your posting name as you are such a joke on Scout or Rivals, that maybe under a new name you can fool a few folks for a day or 2.

Go back to crapping cause a RS frosh w a 21-4 record in the big 10 is impressive. Dardanes beat Oster by 2. Should Ash be wrestling better? Yeah. But it's the grind of that big 10. It ain't easy. Physically and more importantly mentally. Good win by RU.

Not tough, just know a lot more than you, you , a no nothing poser like , who has zero respect of any respected fan in football or wrestling on any RU site anywhere. Ruteelrice, you should change your posting name as you are such a joke on Scout or Rivals, that maybe under a new name you can fool a few folks for a day or 2.
laugh.r191677.gif
we have a lot of EIWA level guys and you expect us to be working miracles in year 1. We have a top 5 home atmosphere in the country, the recruits like Ashnault will come. We got an AA last year and it's gonna keep building. Just listen to Goodale speak and you'll believe. Even bringing up Julie like she should think about making a change is completely insane.

This post was edited on 2/8 8:29 PM by ruteelrice

This post was edited on 2/8 8:30 PM by ruteelrice

Nebraska is not wrestling mad. they are less into wrestling than NJ.

and techs are rare. even Logiebear isn't teching everyone this year. Oster has yet to be teched this season. maybe Ash should have majored him but Dzeiwa, Rodrigues, Nick Dardanes and Abidin all could only manages decisions.

its great that expectations for Ash are high and i think he will have a great career but i think its worth keeping things in perspective as well.

anyway, no big deal. second away match of the weekend and RU gets a conference win. that's always a good thing.

Hold the presses - I found one ranking site where the NW 141 pounder is actually mentioned.... The Open Mat I think has him at 26, never beating a ranked guy as far as I can tell, but some close losses. So for those of you that think Ash should be content with a 2 point win over the 26th ranked opponent in the 1 ranking service that goes as deep as 30 long...Now I understand. content with mediocrity..got it. Hopefully Ash has higher expectations, as well as our AD.

NO. 22 RUTGERS 22, NO. 25 NORTHWESTERN 19[/B]
157[/B]: Anthony Perrotti (R) wbf.
165[/B]: Pierce Harger (N) dec. Nick Visicaro, 4-0
174[/B]: Phil Bakuckas (R) wbf.
184[/B]: Anthony Pafumi (R) dec. Mitch Sliga, 6-2
197[/B]: Alex Polizzi (N) pin. Hayden Hrymack, 5:33
HWT[/B]: Mike McMullan (N) dec. Billy Smith, 8-2
125[/B]: Garrison White (N) dec. Sean McCabe, 7-5
133[/B]: Scott DelVecchio (R) md. Dominick Malone, 10-1
141[/B]: Anthony Ashnault (R) dec. Jameson Oster, 4-2
149[/B]: Jason Tsirtsis (N) md. Ken Theobold, 12-2
Bouts[/B]: 5-5 split (NW, 5-3, on bouts wrestled)

This post was edited on 2/8 8:40 PM by Abro1975

Hold the presses - I found one ranking site where the NW 141 pounder is actually mentioned.... The Open Mat I think has him at 26, never beating a ranked guy as far as I can tell, but some close losses. So for those of you that think Ash should be content with a 2 point win over the 26th ranked opponent in the 1 ranking service that goes as deep as 30 long...Now I understand. content with mediocrity..got it. Hopefully Ash has higher expectations, as well as our AD.
you're really sticking with this theory?

dude, here's Ashnault's results this season, not including the NW match
http://d1collegewrestling.net/Results_Ashnault.html

And here is Oster's
http://d1collegewrestling.net/Results_Oster.html

there is no way you can look at those and expect Ash to tech Oster. everyone has high expectations for Ashnault. those don't change when he beats a tough kid by a mere 2 points.

How many ranked kids did Oster beat ? any? How many ranked kids did Ash beat? who was the 4x State champ/ HS AA that was elite , not even wrestling his true freshman year? If you have low expectations, then those are the results you usually get. At least , the very least, Ash should have MD'ed Oster, the talent difference is there.

Like i said in the OP, Del Vec's match was the key, and he won ! and Visi not getting Teched was key, and he didnt't. A win is a win, but RU was VERY FORTUNATE to be given 12 points before the first bout was wrestled.

The Big 10 Tourny comes up in a few weeks, and I'm hoping AP, Ash, and maybe Smith, Del Vecchio and Theo make the podium. Let's face it , the NCAA wrestling regular season is LESS IMPT than just about any other NCAA sport. It's all about the post season tourny. The Regular season is for seedings.

A win is a win and Ash had two this weekend. I don't care how much he wins by as long as he wins. We are not a real Big Ten team yet but we will get there. Lost in this discussion was a nice win by Parfumi over Sliga. Sliga wacked Orr this summer in freestyle. We came within a whisker of beating Wisky and NW. Not bad. We are lower middle of the Big in our first year. Patience kids.

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
A win is a win and Ash had two this weekend. I don't care how much he wins by as long as he wins. We are not a real Big Ten team yet but we will get there. Lost in this discussion was a nice win by Parfumi over Sliga. Sliga wacked Orr this summer in freestyle. We came within a whisker of beating Wisky and NW. Not bad. We are lower middle of the Big in our first year. Patience kids.
Well said. You should invite Abro to the wrestling room and have him read his posts out loud.

You are still a moron ! lol, and PS- in the prediction thread I was right on with the 3 point victory, although if I knew we would be spotted 12 points, I'd probably have predicted a slightly bigger win.

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
Well said. You should invite Abro to the wrestling room and have him read his posts out loud.

abro... your embarrassing yourself dude...think about what you are typing...you really think that Julie is even thinking about replacing Goodale? your making childish comments like blaming campo for hrymack getting pinned and how Ash shoulda teched an opponent who is known for keeping matches close? really dude?

I don't think Leo is a good coach. Goodall needs to replace him this off season.

Nah, you are probably right, but at the low salary Coach G and his staff probably gets it wouldn't be hard to replace him. If you are happy with bottom 1/3 conference results, I think then Ru is ok, if you want top 1/3 conference results then Julie probably has some decisions to make. RU now is getting Big crowds for it's Big 10 matches, the team is self sufficient. Recruiting other than Ash (good move hiring his brother) has been so so at best. In every sport RU alums have been so beaten down by decades and decades of mediocrity or worse that .500 seasons are usually looked on with smiles. Not the case at Penn St, Ohio St, Mich, Mich St, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska......then why are so many of you so content with mediocrity or less??

Oster is tough.
hes also gets to wrestle with Tsirtsis every day.
no way AA would tech him.

As far as I can see in the results Oster has 2, yes 2 total Big 10 wins, he also got pinned by Lehighs Cruz (good wrestler) and lost 6-0 to Dzeiwa , who Ash beat, yes he also had some 2 point losses. A MD by Ash is not being too unrealistic. Good that he won 2 this weekendon the road. I'm guessing a 5 seed at best for the Big ten tourny. AP could be moving up to a 4 seed , he's coming on strong.

Oster results

abro... no one is content with mediocrity.. most of us here are realistic that this program is gonna take a little time to build up to where we can realistically compete with the top programs in this conference...most of these guys are improving and our last few B1G matches have been competitive score wise... theres a lot of positive stuff going on, but it will take time

Abro, calm down, please.

Am I happy getting beat like we do in the B1G? No. Nobody likes losing various matches (and yes, we SHOULD have won both matches this weekend). Am I happy with the lack of AAs over the course of time? No. Am I happy that only some of our guys have taken a step up this year? No. That being said, you're talking about a team in their first year in the B1G. A team who isn't giving out full scholarships yet (OOS). A team that is trying to increase the quality of the coaching staff is with the hiring of Donny Pritzlaff.

I am more than proud of the wrestlers on the team. Win or lose, they've been coming out to play. Even guys like Camp are trying their hardest despite the struggles that they've faced this year. Over all, the quality of the program has pretty much improved every year, and there is still a while to go. Even the biggest RU wrestling supporters out there like Bill and Josh admit it. If we had Penn State's money or Iowa's history and support, then I'm sure we'd be putting it to good use. But we don't. Like football, we'll get there, though, and continue to improve.

I won't lie and say the same thing about the basketball program, where RU shows no interest in improving until we get full B1G funding. But you can clearly see that wrestling is one of the many programs starting to improve at RU.

I've already waited 5 decades , I graduated in 1975, how many more years do I have ? LOL. The positive is AP,Ash and a maybe 1 or 2 others could AA this year. i paid for BTN plus just to watch the Big 10 Tourny early rounds, I'm a fan, but sometimes a critical fan. I do want to see Coach G succeed, he's a good guy no doubt, but sometimes I'm not sure he will. I'm still buying tickets (or going for free, lol) and watching anytime I can.

Good news though, I see Blair Academy now has a women's wrestling team. I may have a new team to root for, lol. Serious, they do. Buxton isn't coaching them though, lol.
Originally posted by jerzey devil:

abro... no one is content with mediocrity.. most of us here are realistic that this program is gonna take a little time to build up to where we can realistically compete with the top programs in this conference...most of these guys are improving and our last few B1G matches have been competitive score wise... theres a lot of positive stuff going on, but it will take time

there are two unrelated thoughts. One, that Ash should have teched Oster, is dumb. let's all just move on from that one. the other thought is that Rutgers should be a top ten program and compete the PSU, Iowa, etc. Thats a much longer conversation. i think its good to set high goals for the program and i think it can get there but its going to take some time. short of hiring both Cael Sanderson and Jordan Burroughs as coaches we shouldnt expect it in the next 5 years. .

Goodale isn't going anywhere so stop the crap. The guys have to wrestle. Donny can't go out there for them.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Abro

I got you beat. I graduated in 1963 so I am waiting a lot longer than you. PSU starts the year with a check for $1 million from a big alum for their Nittany Lion Wrestling club. That is how they keep such guys as Molinaro, Ruth and Taylor and pay a huge chunk of Cael's salary. If we had that dough, how quickly do you think we could get there. We are trying to raise $ to get 2 or 3 Olympic type wrestlers here for our kids. We need more and better kids and we know who they are and are fighting the Iowa's, PSU's., Minny's, etc to get them. I know everyone does not like to hear this, but it is a process and we are all focused on reaching that pinnacle. Goodnight Mrs. Calabash wherever you are.

I guess this tweet by Hrymack tells us we should not expect to see Camp at Big Ten Championships?
"@Von_Hrymack: I'll get that one back in 4 weeks"

Originally posted by obrats:
I guess this tweet by Hrymack tells us we should not expect to see Camp at Big Ten Championships?
"@Von_Hrymack: I'll get that one back in 4 weeks"

Not if uses that Little League move again..you would have to think 2x before letting him back in the line up, garbage lat drop that a 12 yr old wouldn't do

Abro - there's a lot going on behind the scenes with wrestling, as with many other RU Olympic sports, right now (but wrestling is probably at the top...),. ALL involved at RU have lofty goals set for the program but they also have a realistic understanding of what they're up against and what they need to get there. To think we're going to turn this program into one of the best in the nation, overnight, when all these B1G programs - the collective best in the nation - not only raid our state for its wealth of talent, but, also have much, much more $$$ behind them AND are already established - in ways we're trying to be as well - is asking for a lot and that simply doesn't come down on Goody right now.

I'm fortunate enough to have a long-time friend be one of the posters here who is heavily involved with the program and all I can say is trust me, they're doing everything they can right now, and hopefully there will be more improvements to come sooner, rather than later, but sit tight buddy!
smile.r191677.gif

Thanks for the update, and to Wngarbarin for his update as well. I was probably too critical last night, in retrospect. I see Coach G being similiar to Coach Flood and Coach Eddie Jordan, all great guys with the right intentions, just hampered by budget, NJ HS kids usually looking to go out of state , and alums & fans like me just beat up from decades of losing or mediocrity but then teased by the occasional years of euphoria (1976, 1978, 2005 &6), which keeps us coming back for more.
And we won last night ! I should have just enjoyed the win, and not be too critical on 'how we won'.

To anyone I was harsh with in this thread last night, particularlyRuTeelRice, I apologize. Seems I do this about once every 6-12 months .

Hey, when's the next match?

PS- one thing I am curious about is a newer poster saying yesterday in a different thread that Camp does very well going up against Smith in the wrestling room. I wonder if he will be given the opportunity next season to gain weight and wrestle off against Smith? Does Camp even have a schollie or partial (most likely) and would that be at risk if he didn't want to keep trying to make 197. I did see on the BTN Plus feed last night he was sitting with the team.

Another thought- that was a pretty poor turnout by the Northwestern fans. Yet they recruit pretty well, and NJ's to Heavy , Chakonis from DBP going there next season, NJ 3x champ Sebastian is there already. Good school, good coach I guess, but no fan support at all it seems.

Abro - we ALL do it from time-to-time, no worries there, for sure!

Regarding your comments about NW's attendance - in a way - we only needed to average, IIRC, about 1600 fans/match this year to top what Oklahoma did, last year, to finish 10th. What you're seeing from us at home so far, this year, will likely land us in the top 5 nationally in attendance (Okie State came in 5th at about 2300 in 2013-14).

NCAA Attendance 2013-14

I can't see Goodale wrestling Camp over Smith in his final season. Unless Camp absolutely destroys Smith in the room, which I find highly unlikely.

Smith has done everything the coaches have asked of him for what would be going on 5 years at that point. Would see that as a slap in the face of sorts.

JMO of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT