ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestleoffs Oct 26 @2pm

Any idea as to the brackets?

I'm hearing the wrestle off pairings will be as follows (where there is 3 there will be a round robin).

125- Nic Auguilar, Malcolm Robinson, Richard Halal

133- Sammy Alvarez, Zach Firestone , Shane Metzlar (possible Redshirt)

141- Peter Lipari, JoJo Aragona, Andrew Gapas

149- Jake Benner, Gerard Angelo, Nick Santos

157- Mike Van Brill, Robert Kanniard, Ryan Vulakh, Cody Harrison

165- Brett Donner, Anthony Oliveri, Glasgow

174- Joe Grello, and (hearing Jackson Turley is injured and probably at 165 if healthy anyway)

184- Willie Scott, Billy Janzer

197- Nick Correnti, Jordan Pagano, Kyle Lightner

285- Christian Colucci, Alex Esposito.

Wrestle Offs not open to the public. I'm guessing they will be morning of Sat Oct 26, and then the team heads to the Football game. Media Day Oct 31.

125 Aguilar
133 Alvarez
141 Aragona
149 Angelo
157 Vulakh
165 Glasgow
174 Grello
184 Janzer
197 Correnti
HWT Colluci

Is who I think comes out if those brackets are accurate. I wouldn’t be against a Glasgow redshirt. Team wise this is sort of a throwaway year anyway. I think for long term success, Aragon’s, Glasgow, and Kannaird should all redshirt. 157/65 is going to get real crowded once all these kids burn their redshirts.

125 Aguilar
133 Alvarez
141 Aragona
149 Angelo
157 Vulakh
165 Glasgow
174 Grello
184 Janzer
197 Correnti
HWT Colluci

Is who I think comes out if those brackets are accurate. I wouldn’t be against a Glasgow redshirt. Team wise this is sort of a throwaway year anyway. I think for long term success, Aragon’s, Glasgow, and Kannaird should all redshirt. 157/65 is going to get real crowded once all these kids burn their redshirts.
Agree with all this. Tho Lipari and MVB will not be easy outs for the true freshmen,

The most interesting weights for me

Pagano is interesting to me. He showed promise wrestling at a lower weight.
Wondering if he will be able to compete at 197. I have always thought Correnti was a talented wrestler, but needed to improve his mat awareness.
Correnti vs LIghtner will be interesting.

No idea what to expect.

Lipari vs Aragona
I thought Lipari improved wrestling freestyle in the off season.

How good is Janzer? Is he a NCAA Qualifier?
I have not seen him wrestle many times.

Unless he really bulked up I just don't see it.... But ive been wrong many times before...
I really hope @Abro1975 info is wrong. Because I just don't see him doing anything at 165. His quickness was negated by sheer size and strength last year. The knee didn't help but at 157 that won't be the case.

MRob
Firestone
Lipari
Santos
MVB
SG
Grello
Scott
Pagano
Colucci
Lipari and mvb too much college wrestling exp to get beat by freshman. Hope SG redshirts along with Aragona and Alvarez. Heard good things abt Santos he should take 49

Apparently there is some not so good news coming. I have no idea what it is but something is floating around.

Pagano, Santos, Firestone, and Scott must all be hungry to get some real action. This could be a very interesting start of the season. $$$$

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Not an injury....sorry do not want to say anything more until it comes out.
giphy.gif

Hopefully it's not one of the top freshman leaving already...

Pagano, Santos, Firestone, and Scott must all be hungry to get some real action. This could be a very interesting start of the season. $$$$

Santos can definitely surprise us with his hard nose wrestling.Hopefully he is fully healed up and could win the starting spot.

Last edited:
I'm hearing the wrestle off pairings will be as follows (where there is 3 there will be a round robin).

125- Nic Auguilar, Malcolm Robinson, Richard Halal

133- Sammy Alvarez, Zach Firestone , Shane Metzlar (possible Redshirt)

141- Peter Lipari, JoJo Aragona, Andrew Gapas

149- Jake Benner, Gerard Angelo, Nick Santos

157- Mike Van Brill, Robert Kanniard, Ryan Vulakh, Cody Harrison

165- Brett Donner, Anthony Oliveri, Glasgow

174- Joe Grello, and (hearing Jackson Turley is injured and probably at 165 if healthy anyway)

184- Willie Scott, Billy Janzer

197- Nick Correnti, Jordan Pagano, Kyle Lightner

285- Christian Colucci, Alex Esposito.

Wrestle Offs not open to the public. I'm guessing they will be morning of Sat Oct 26, and then the team heads to the Football game. Media Day Oct 31.
Abro is wrong again ..not gonna see Glasgow at 165

Not an injury....sorry do not want to say anything more until it comes out.
Two questions that should not betray any confidences: Is it a done deal that is just not yet revealed, or is there still a chance that he will remain with the team? Is it at a weight where there is depth to overcome the loss?

MRob
Firestone
Lipari
Santos
MVB
SG
Grello
Scott
Pagano
Colucci
Lipari and mvb too much college wrestling exp to get beat by freshman. Hope SG redshirts along with Aragona and Alvarez. Heard good things abt Santos he should take 49

I agree with you on Lipari. Could be tough for Aragona but I’m hopeful to get him some experience. Not against a redshirt though

MVB I’m not sure. Never really been a fan of his, and Vulakh is only a true freshman by academic standards. He’s more like a redshirt freshman in terms of age and ability and with his experience and talent pre-Rutgers, I think he could really challenge for the spot. Having him, MVB, Kannaird, and Glasgow all around the same weight is going to make all 4 guys better.

It seems like (or a bunch of people are at least trying to give the appearance that they are) a lot of people are in the know here which hardly makes it a secret anymore IMO.

I agree with you on Lipari. Could be tough for Aragona but I’m hopeful to get him some experience. Not against a redshirt though

MVB I’m not sure. Never really been a fan of his, and Vulakh is only a true freshman by academic standards. He’s more like a redshirt freshman in terms of age and ability and with his experience and talent pre-Rutgers, I think he could really challenge for the spot. Having him, MVB, Kannaird, and Glasgow all around the same weight is going to make all 4 guys better.

Lipari I feel with will start and he will be ready to take the next steps.He will surprise folks.Do not sleep on Vulakh he can very well be inserted into the starting role right out the gate.

I guess we will also find out what the potential "not so good news" was at 157/165 if someone is no where to be found. The prevailing opinion for those of us not in the know is that someone is not returning and given some context clues it appears to be MVB or Glasgow.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Why can't someone tell us who it is??

I've never understood why this is the only board where everything is so tight-lipped. Anyone can go to practice and see who isn't there. Its not secret information... just hard to come by, since there are no reporters like there are for football and basketball. If it was a major sport covered by beat writers, the info would already be out there.

I guess we will also find out what the potential "not so good news" was at 157/165 if someone is no where to be found. The prevailing opinion for those of us not in the know is that someone is not returning and given some context clues it appears to be MVB or Glasgow.

I would have thought the news was about Harrison and the knee arthritis.

Reactions: Leonard23
Why can't someone tell us who it is??

I've never understood why this is the only board where everything is so tight-lipped. Anyone can go to practice and see who isn't there. Its not secret information... just hard to come by, since there are no reporters like there are for football and basketball. If it was a major sport covered by beat writers, the info would already be out there.

Agreed.

There were multiple people insinuating they knew what the deal was but didn't want to say anything. If that's true, it's not certainly not a close kept secret anymore. With that being said, it's also certainly plausible that 99% of them were simply were pretending to know and wanted to seem in the loop.

Agreed.

There were multiple people insinuating they knew what the deal was but didn't want to say anything. If that's true, it's not certainly not a close kept secret anymore. With that being said, it's also certainly plausible that 99% of them were simply were pretending to know and wanted to seem in the loop.

Lol, MS-RU it was you who first posted above..."Apparently there is not some good news coming from the program". I posted to confirm it was true, but I am still not going to say what it is. Normally I have no problem posting what I know or hear. This one is a little different. Everyone will find out soon enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT