ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling ---- NCAA Tournament / Updates & Results (All Sessions)

Burak in a dog fight with a Northern Colorado kid! Way deep into OT tied at 2!

Gets the takedown in SV-2 for the win, 4-2. Iowa bridges are safe for the moment.

Your impressions on RU's performance in S1? I know AP had the pin, is he healthy? Would love to see RU get more than one AA.

We need to wake the heck up.... podium or bust for billy(article)... Road to podium just got harder.

Besides Ashnault, Lewis and AP everyone else has underwhelmed.

Well, those are your horses, right? Was Billy favored?

I didn't see exactly who your kids were wrestling in S1, but aren't the majority of them expected to make their run in the WBs?

I didn't see exactly who your kids were wrestling in S1, but aren't the majority of them expected to make their run in the WBs?
At least two lost matches they shouldn't have. Smith and Gravina losing is very disappointing.

Our 3 horses were all heavy fav no surprise for their wins.... Gravina should have won.. our HWT was 12th seed but faced off against a tough unseeded Larson. Bout as bad a session could go...

Smith wrestled poorly but I expected the result because Larson already beat him earlier in the year so despite the seed it wasn't really an upset to me. Not a great 1st session with 3 of our seeded wrestlers losing as I only expected 1 (Smith).

7 - 11 p.m. | Second Session

Eight Mat Configuration, Preliminaries: Wrestle-Back Prelims (pigtail matches) as needed; Wrestle-Back First Round. Followed by Championship Round, Second Round and Consolation Round.

3 medals will make this awful first round seem like a distant memory. AA,AP, and Lewis all looked very good. Our first round losers need to man up and wrestle back hard, valuable team points still to be won.

I can't imagine Goodt is pleased. Well maybe this fires them up and they can all win at least 1 match. Crazy we are in 10 place with only 3 wins.

Smith wrestled poorly but I expected the result because Larson already beat him earlier in the year so despite the seed it wasn't really an upset to me. Not a great 1st session with 3 of our seeded wrestlers losing as I only expected 1 (Smith).
Smith and Larson split this year.. so it was a coin flip at best.. Either way, Smith could have wrestled way better.

Thanks for the info guys. Would love to see Jimmy get another crack at Ash. Don't think the result will be any different but a win in the next round would be huge for PSU. Looks like AP is set up nicely for the 2S.

NO easy matches in the NCAA.
3-7 is a slight disappointment.
Nick G. needs to wrestle smarter.
Thought Phil B wrestled hard but couldn't finish shots (not sure how you correct that).
I missed Billy's match but it was a toss-up on past history.

If we can go 6-1 in the 1st wrestlebacks it will be big.
Need to go 3-0 the second championship round.
How good is the #8 157 from Va Tech...the name sounds familiar (former AA?)
I know some top seeds were beat in 174, I hope Phil doesn't get one of those next round.
I am worried about Guilbon in AA bracket.
Can't trust those PSU wrestlers.

Although I wasn't happy with the was Smith and Gravina wrestled I think they are in better positions in the wrestle back brackets now. I know that probably isn't what people want to hear but I am being honest.

NO easy matches in the NCAA.
3-7 is a slight disappointment.
Nick G. needs to wrestle smarter.
Thought Phil B wrestled hard but couldn't finish shots (not sure how you correct that).
I missed Billy's match but it was a toss-up on past history.

If we can go 6-1 in the 1st wrestlebacks it will be big.
Need to go 3-0 the second championship round.
How good is the #8 157 from Va Tech...the name sounds familiar (former AA?)
I know some top seeds were beat in 174, I hope Phil doesn't get one of those next round.
I am worried about Guilbon in AA bracket.
Can't trust those PSU wrestlers.

Brascetta is very good. Multiple time AA. Lewis is capable of winning, but Brascetta is the prohibitive favorite.

They are in a better spot to make a run. I just saw that as well. Guilbon beat up on a very injured Manley.

welcome to the craziness of the NCAA's... 29/160 seeded wrestler lost..including #2,3,4 at 174....Overall, not a good round as a team.. No excuses, gotta wrestle better... Ash, AP, Lewis, all looked tough.. Hopefully this lights a fire under their ass!!

Giraldo has Beckman
Ash va Gross
Lewis vs Bracetta. Tough
AP vs Wilson Neb. Already beat him
Just off the top of my head.

Can anyone give a run down on the 2nd session matchups?

125 McCabe vs. Jeske/Larson winner...could go either way vs. both
133 Giraldo vs.Beckman.... Will see better effort from Giraldo as he has time to re-energize his body...Beckman still a fav...
141 Ash. vs. Gross... Fmr Iowa wrestler.. Just wrestle Ash!!
149 Dippery vs. Hammond... toss up
157... Lewis vs. Brascetta... Lewis is underdog.. But anything can happen!!
165 Perrotti vs. Wilson... Need a 7 min match outta AP
174 Bakuckas vs. Wanzek...Payback time Phil!!
184 Gravina vs. Lampe.. Don't know much about opp.
197 Hrymack vs. Rotert..again don't know much about opp.
285 Smith vs. Solomon..Pigtail conso.. if he wins he gets Gillen...Both more than winnable

This is the round we need to see these guys step up if we want to have a good placing as a team.. Continue as they did in Midlands, and B1G wrestlebacks!!

For the record (I mentioned it in the other thread), Billy has majored and almost majored Ross in the past. Latest decision was a 5-3 loss, though, so Ross was in his head.

Although I wasn't happy with the was Smith and Gravina wrestled I think they are in better positions in the wrestle back brackets now. I know that probably isn't what people want to hear but I am being honest.

You are spot on; there are some opportunities based on the slotting of the wrestlebacks in several weight classes. Also, if Lewis wins his next match and then loses, he will not have a seeded wrestler in the blood round.

Session II First Matchups:

HWT Smith vs. Solomon (PITT)

174 Bakuckas vs. Wanzek (MINN)

184 Gravina vs. Lampe (CHAT)

197 Hrymack vs. Rotert (SDSU)

149 Dippery vs. Hammond (CSUB)

157 Lewis vs. Brascetta (VT)

165 Perrotti vs. Wilson (NEB)

125 McCabe vs. Larson (ISU)/Jeske (ODU)

133 Giraldo vs. Beckman (LEH)

141 Ashnault vs. Gross (SDSU)

Ashnault, Lewis, Perrotti vie for the quarters. Seven others in consos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT