ADVERTISEMENT

Sad News: RIP Hern4144, Mike Herndon, RU Alum and huge fan:

Very saddened to learn of Mike's passing. Only knew him from the boards but shared his love of all things Rutgers and found a kindred spirit on the Current Events Board.

In the hopes that something positive comes out of this, I would highly recommend that everyone over the age of 40 discuss with their physician getting a Cardiac CT Scan which is a painless imaging test that uses x rays to take many detailed pictures of your heart and its blood vessels. ... A multidetector CT is a very fast type of CT scanner that can produce high-quality pictures of the beating heart and can detect calcium or blockages in the coronary arteries.

Painless and fast, this measures the amount of calcium deposits in your arteries and gives a much more complete picture of your heart than a Echocardiogram or a Stress Test.

Years ago these machines were rare and you had to pay out-of-pocket but recently I had it done and it was covered under my insurance. My guess is there are many places offering this test in NJ.

Very saddened to learn of Mike's passing. Only knew him from the boards but shared his love of all things Rutgers and found a kindred spirit on the Current Events Board.

In the hopes that something positive comes out of this, I would highly recommend that everyone over the age of 40 discuss with their physician getting a Cardiac CT Scan which is a painless imaging test that uses x rays to take many detailed pictures of your heart and its blood vessels. ... A multidetector CT is a very fast type of CT scanner that can produce high-quality pictures of the beating heart and can detect calcium or blockages in the coronary arteries.

Painless and fast, this measures the amount of calcium deposits in your arteries and gives a much more complete picture of your heart than a Echocardiogram or a Stress Test.

Years ago these machines were rare and you had to pay out-of-pocket but recently I had it done and it was covered under my insurance. My guess is there are many places offering this test in NJ.
You are lucky to have such good insurance. Many of us have insurance that has a family deductible in the range of $6-7,000 or higher, and therefore, I believe we would have to pay.

For emergency responders, police officers and firefighters, there is the Captain Buscio program at Deborah, which is 100% free. I went through the tests this past summer, as I had just turned 50.

Reactions: BlockR

Great advice! Insurance didn’t cover mine last year but it cost only $175.

Rest In Peace Hern.

Such sad, sad news. Hern was one of the best posters on this board with respect to being fair-minded, insightful, and principled, plus he had a great sense of humor and told some excellent stories. Met him at one of the bowl games years ago and he just seemed like a really good guy. Feel horrible for his family and friends, especially with his brother having passed just a few months ago. Life is so precious...

You are lucky to have such good insurance. Many of us have insurance that has a family deductible in the range of $6-7,000 or higher, and therefore, I believe we would have to pay.

For emergency responders, police officers and firefighters, there is the Captain Buscio program at Deborah, which is 100% free. I went through the tests this past summer, as I had just turned 50.

Thank you for this information. I plan on looking into it, especially for a cardiac CT test.

I'm saddened by the loss of a fellow poster. My condolences to the family.

Thank you for this information. I plan on looking into it, especially for a cardiac CT test.

I did it 8 years ago....results provided an awakening.

I do not recall Deborah doing a cardiac CT test. IIRC, they did an EKG, vitals, blood profile, chest x-ray and a pulmonary function test.

From their info sheet:
https://demanddeborah.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Captain-Buscio-Email.pdf
Lab work: *CBC (complete blood count),
*CMP (complete metabolic profile)
*Fasting Lipid Profile (cholesterol levels)
*Fasting Glucose Level (blood sugar)

*Hemoglobin A1C (3-month blood sugar average)
• Chest x-ray (digital, with less radiation)
• A series of Pulmonary Function Tests (PFTs)
• EKG with interpretation by the cardiologist
After your tests are run and then uploaded, you will have an assessment with a DEBORAH Cardiologist
--------
As far as a cardiac CT, someone above said that they are not very expensive, only costing about $175--that is about the cost of premium here on Rivals.

I do not recall Deborah doing a cardiac CT test. IIRC, they did an EKG, vitals, blood profile, chest x-ray and a pulmonary function test.

From their info sheet:
https://demanddeborah.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Captain-Buscio-Email.pdf
Lab work: *CBC (complete blood count),
*CMP (complete metabolic profile)
*Fasting Lipid Profile (cholesterol levels)
*Fasting Glucose Level (blood sugar)

*Hemoglobin A1C (3-month blood sugar average)
• Chest x-ray (digital, with less radiation)
• A series of Pulmonary Function Tests (PFTs)
• EKG with interpretation by the cardiologist
After your tests are run and then uploaded, you will have an assessment with a DEBORAH Cardiologist
--------
As far as a cardiac CT, someone above said that they are not very expensive, only costing about $175--that is about the cost of premium here on Rivals.

Excellent. Thanks for compiling this info Knight. As an aside, I've gone on a plant based diet (with occasional eggs and salmon) along with strictly eating only within an 8-10 hour window. It's made a world of difference in my fat and muscle composition. I've banned all oils besides olive and avocado as well. It's unfortunate that almost all restaurants, including every fast casual chain, use pro-inflammatory oils (canola, safflower, soybean, etc). I barely eat out any more, which helps me control exactly what I want influencing my health.

I do a lot of research in this area of modern nutritional biochemistry. If anyone needs any tips of how to modify their diets, feel free to reach out.

Excellent. Thanks for compiling this info Knight. As an aside, I've gone on a plant based diet (with occasional eggs and salmon) along with strictly eating only within an 8-10 hour window. It's made a world of difference in my fat and muscle composition. I've banned all oils besides olive and avocado as well. It's unfortunate that almost all restaurants, including every fast casual chain, use pro-inflammatory oils (canola, safflower, soybean, etc). I barely eat out any more, which helps me control exactly what I want influencing my health.

I do a lot of research in this area of modern nutritional biochemistry. If anyone needs any tips of how to modify their diets, feel free to reach out.
Do tell more.

What do you mean by strictly eating in an 8-10 hour window?
For us early risers who get home from work later, even a 12 hour window would be tough. What is the benefit of an 8-10 hour window?
Did you have a health scare that caused you to go to such a diet?

Do tell more.

What do you mean by strictly eating in an 8-10 hour window?
For us early risers who get home from work later, even a 12 hour window would be tough. What is the benefit of an 8-10 hour window?
Did you have a health scare that caused you to go to such a diet?

No specific health scare but diabetes and heart disease runs in my family and now that I'm in my 40s, I'm trying to optimize the factors over which I have control, i.e diet, exercise and exposure to toxins through consumer products.

Time restricted eating (TRF; eating ALL daily calories in a 8-10 hour window) has been shown in multiple studies to allow the body time heal itself and slow the molecular aging process. It also positively affects the microbiome in our gut, which increasing research has shown affects almost all chronic diseases, to include heart disease, autoimmune diseases and cancer. Also, occasional longer fasts (36-72 hours) have been shown in primate studies to lessen or reverse disease states and slow cellular aging through a process called autophagy, which is essentially the process by which our cells remove and discard of dysfunctional and unnecessary products. Every time we eat, even small amounts of food or drink, we reset our cellular clocks so that they are further removed from initiating this natural cleansing process.

Also, as a side note, 2 classes of food-based compounds, insoluble fiber and polyphenols, both of which are only found in plant foods, have been shown to significantly encourage the growth of good bacteria. The problem with animal products are they are essentially devoid of such compounds, and therefore lead to the constant growth of poor gut bacteria, which release toxins and inflammatory chemicals. Over time, this leads to the diseases so common in our Western society. Although I abstain from most animal products, I do eat salmon and pastured eggs occasionally for their Omega 3 fats.

For TRF, it seems most beneficial to eat a late breakfast and a late lunch or a very early dinner. Obviously this can be difficult so I try to eat between 12p-7p and that's it. No coffee, no snacking in between. I do 5-10 min of intense cardio and 15-20 min of strength training in the evenings, about 4 days a week. Making these changes over the last 2 months has drastically changed my body composition, sleep quality and overall performance for the better. I also avoid all sugars, non-fibrous carbs, processed foods, and any foods not made with olive oil or avocado oil. Some of the more important nutrients I take are B12, Vitamin K2 and zinc. Also, I take a good probiotic along with a prebiotic powder.

Last edited:
For any friends of Hern (Mike Herndon) who happen to live in the Orlando area:

A Celebration of Life for Mike will be held on Saturday, March 2nd, 2019 at 1:00 pm at First United Methodist Church of Orlando, 142 E Jackson St Orlando, Fl 32801.
More details to come.
Liz, Tyler and Casey are forever grateful for the outpouring of love and support from you all.

RRRRRRRR I P

For Whom the Bell Tolls
by
John Donne

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.​

Valley ion Ridgewood. Have done a cardiac calcium. More recently ct with dye.

For any friends of Hern (Mike Herndon) who happen to live in the Orlando area:

A Celebration of Life for Mike will be held on Saturday, March 2nd, 2019 at 1:00 pm at First United Methodist Church of Orlando, 142 E Jackson St Orlando, Fl 32801.
More details to come.
Liz, Tyler and Casey are forever grateful for the outpouring of love and support from you all.
Thank you, Abro. Please share any more info about memorial contributions, etc. I’m sure the many here would be happy to show support.

Reactions: Abro1975
So sad. Deepest sympathy to his family & RFamily. :cry:

Please keep us posted as to what his family’s wish would be as to contributions/donations or if someone orchestrates something RU related, such as a brick in his memory, etc.

Go RU!
Diane

Hern's Obit.

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/florida/winter-garden//michael-mike-herndon/3745841/

This pic doesn't even begin to capture how many RU friends Hern had , Mike is back row, center:

52789810_10217309413503436_8954437205007269888_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, Abro. Please share any more info about memorial contributions, etc. I’m sure the many here would be happy to show support.

from his obituary:

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Mike's honor to a memorial fund to benefit his children. Donations may be made to the “Casey and Tyler Herndon Trust” and sent care of Elizabeth Herndon to 1220 S. Eola Dr. Orlando, FL 32806.

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/fl...W-hpNAVqkM50YQJbVz3I30UNyt_CrcCKwFimmLTfQHCQA

I met Mike once in my life; didn’t know him by his handle (and didn’t remember his name until now), though he mentioned he posted on the message board.

My friends and I struck up a conversation with him at Stuff early in the afternoon of the PSU game in 2014. It was still drizzling out, and the bar wasn’t crowded yet. For the next three or four hours he bought us pitchers of beer, a few Bolis, shared funny stories (here’s to finally getting after Kevin Elster, buddy) and talked football. He had to meet his friends, we had to meet some folks at another bar, and that was it.

Hadn’t thought about him for some time until opening this thread and seeing his picture. Great member of the RU family, and my friends and I were lucky to throw back a few drinks with him.

Elizabeth Farr Herndon
"I feel like all of you are his second family that we haven’t all met yet. Rutgers and the community of friends he had through the years were such a large part of who he was. He’s being cremated in his Rutgers jersey and there are many new fans down here, strictly from Mike introducing people to his special cheer of “Let’s go Rutgers” and telling everyone about him getting to meet Eric LeGrand & his mom, whom he respected and admired very much. Thank you so much for posting this picture and for your condolences. ❤️"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT