ADVERTISEMENT

SCARLET KNIGHT STATUE

SF88

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2001
I thought the Scarlet Knight Statue should have it's own thread. Is there any reason not to have a Scarlet Knight Statue?? It should be on the "Yard", or up near the Barn ( site of 1st game ) The Lion Shrine is the 2nd most photographed place in PA ( Liberty Bell #1). The Knight Statue would also be a great photo op. Either a knight or knight on a horse. The frats could guard it all night at homecoming. It would be the must get photo in your cap/gown. It would generate a little school spirit each time you walk past. What say you Cofifa???

I thought the Scarlet Knight Statue should have it's own thread. Is there any reason not to have a Scarlet Knight Statue?? It should be on the "Yard", or up near the Barn ( site of 1st game ) The Lion Shrine is the 2nd most photographed place in PA ( Liberty Bell #1). The Knight Statue would also be a great photo op. Either a knight or knight on a horse. The frats could guard it all night at homecoming. It would be the must get photo in your cap/gown. It would generate a little school spirit each time you walk past. What say you Cofifa???

7534229.jpg

940x.jpg

Might be better for pics to be off the horse. I'd go with the bobblehead pose but change the face/head. This would actually look sweet outside the South Gate entrance of the stadium so that everyone sees it driving on River Road but I doubt there's enough space. The North Gate has enough space but you don't want this that close to the 1st game statue.

Last edited:
Here is UCF's. This needs to get done & we should use a similar head.

3354240929_4ed4ac8186.jpg

ucf-statue2*1200xx3862-2177-0-415.jpg

6810396057_c1bb8596e8_b.jpg

There's a chance UCF has 2 different statues which may not be a bad idea for us to have on different campuses:

4645893805_520424c0bd_b_d.jpg

IMG_3016.JPG

Have 1 on Busch in front of the stadium, 1 on Livingston in front of the RAC & 1 on College Ave near the Barn.

Last edited:
This definitely needs to happen. I'd have it on College Ave somewhere near the Barn to mark the first game. If the master plan that was laid out actually happens it would fit perfectly.

This definitely needs to happen. I'd have it on College Ave somewhere near the Barn to mark the first game. If the master plan that was laid out actually happens it would fit perfectly.
I agree that 1 should go there but with how spread out our different campuses are, I think we should have more than 1 & it makes the most sense to have 1 at each major athletics venue so put 1 at the stadium & RAC.

Btw, here's the USC trojan:

3343510769_0d98642bd2_z.jpg

I know it sounds logical to have three, but I would hate to take away anything from the concept by having multiple statues. We have a monument to the first game on land that didn't even belong to Rutgers when the game was played; perhaps THAT should be the one by the Barn and the new Scarlet Knight statue should go where that is. It might bother people, but from a sense of history and a sense of place it makes sense. In any event, this is something we should do, and unlike when I was in school I trust Rutgers not to screw it up. So let's get it done.

Heck, even TCU has a horned frog statue. No lie. And yes, it has been guarded in the past, back when the Frogs and SMU were in the same conference. (Well, at least I heard it was guarded. I was at SMU that night.) Not sure if they still do that before the game, as the roles certainly have been reversed in that series more dramatically than any of ours before the Big Ten move.

That first UCF statute is freaking awesome. I want that for us lol.
Lets just steal it.

I agree with the idea of moving the first game statue to CA and putting a big horse and knight statue on Busch, and maybe a solo knight standing without a horse on Livingston near the RAC (which could be painted red every year by students.)

Anyone know how much a custom bronze statue costs? Obviously something like this would be in the realm of awesome class gift.

Lets just steal it.

I agree with the idea of moving the first game statue to CA and putting a big horse and knight statue on Busch, and maybe a solo knight standing without a horse on Livingston near the RAC (which could be painted red every year by students.)

Anyone know how much a custom bronze statue costs? Obviously something like this would be in the realm of awesome class gift.
I'm torn on moving the 1st game statue from Busch, but it makes sense to have some statue in front of the Barn on CA. It would seem odd to not have anything on the Scarlet Walk, though, & I don't want 1 of the new statues we're talking about there. We need to get the Scarlet Knight on the horse, like UCF, in front of the stadium (North entrance has the most room & probably makes sense, but it would be nice to see on River Road too) & the Scarlet Knight standing in front of the RAC.

I think having more than one scarlet knight staute ruins the pageantry of it.

Move The Birthplace Statue to College Avenue and have a Scarlet Knight Statue right near a stadium entrance--maybe the one at River Road. UCF's is GREAT !!!

First game statue should stay where it's at. That is a great reminder to everyone that visits that we do in fact have history and tradition in football.

I'm still partial to having a Henry Rutgers statue before a knight statue. Put Henry near the new honors building and a knight by the RAC

Testudo statue at Maryland is popular too, big part of the tour and kids rub its nose for luck. I think there is one by the library there and one by the stadium. I say you have the knight off the horse standing next to it, better for photo ops.

I love this topic and I really hope we put something up. As a way to completely avoid any gender bias, the knight should have no skin or facial features visible. It should be completely in armor.

In terms of how it should be positioned: something like the below, but again with his head completely enclosed and no crosses. Don't want to look overly ready to fight, but guarded to throw down if needed.
CC8713.png

EDIT: and it should absolutely be on College Ave. That's where the vast majority of visitors will visit. From the Yard to purchasing books to the student union. Busch and Livingston are only heavily visited a couple of days a year. Put it in the park at the top of the new Academic Buildings area.

Reactions: Cofifa
Testudo statue at Maryland is popular too, big part of the tour and kids rub its nose for luck. I think there is one by the library there and one by the stadium. I say you have the knight off the horse standing next to it, better for photo ops.

I love this topic and I really hope we put something up. As a way to completely avoid any gender bias, the knight should have no skin or facial features visible. It should be completely in armor.

In terms of how it should be positioned: something like the below, but again with his head completely enclosed and no crosses. Don't want to look overly ready to fight, but guarded to throw down if needed.
CC8713.png

EDIT: and it should absolutely be on College Ave. That's where the vast majority of visitors will visit. From the Yard to purchasing books to the student union. Busch and Livingston are only heavily visited a couple of days a year. Put it in the park at the top of the new Academic Buildings area.
I don't like that pose. The Scarlet Knight should be holding the shield & sword up like I posted above.

Maryland & UCF have 2. We need 2 or probably 3 due to our campuses. Definitely need 1 at the stadium & 1 on College Ave.

I don't like that pose. The Scarlet Knight should be holding the shield & sword up like I posted above.
I'm going to USC right now for my MBA and always see people taking pictures infront of Tommy Trojan. I think it's a great statue that shows strength and being ready for battle.

However I think that as a private university it is more insulated from the types of pressures Rutgers would feel if we had a similarly posed statue. I think some groups of people would find a way to take offense and say we should focus on peace. Or some similarly silly argument.

A statue that looks more imposing but guarded I think insulates us from potential negative inputs. Just my opinion, I can see the other side of the argument and would be happy to be wrong. Just get us something good!

I'm going to USC right now for my MBA and always see people taking pictures infront of Tommy Trojan. I think it's a great statue that shows strength and being ready for battle.

However I think that as a private university it is more insulated from the types of pressures Rutgers would feel if we had a similarly posed statue. I think some groups of people would find a way to take offense and say we should focus on peace. Or some similarly silly argument.

A statue that looks more imposing but guarded I think insulates us from potential negative inputs. Just my opinion, I can see the other side of the argument and would be happy to be wrong. Just get us something good!
I actualy like the defensive knight. Kind of fits our vibe.

I actualy like the defensive knight. Kind of fits our vibe.

Everyone needs to realize that a statue like the UCF one would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Athletics/Foundation/Barchi/Class gifts/Devco are the people that can get this done. I could be wrong but doesn't a percentage of construction costs for public projects have to go to "art"? The Knight could check off that box at the Yard.

Reactions: Leonard23
Everyone needs to realize that a statue like the UCF one would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Athletics/Foundation/Barchi/Class gifts/Devco are the people that can get this done. I could be wrong but doesn't a percentage of construction costs for public projects have to go to "art"? The Knight could check off that box at the Yard.
I'm not sure how much it would cost but saw the statue below & it's under $15k, so I'm guessing that our special commissioned statue would be maybe $100k. We need to get 2 yesterday.

https://frbronze.com/products/lifesize bronze/002 Heroic Mt Man.htm
Size:Heroic - 133" H x 96" L x 50" W -
Price $14699.00 Sale $13450.00

1066366217749_1i.jpg

Maryland & UCF have 2. We need 2 or probably 3 due to our campuses. Definitely need 1 at the stadium & 1 on College Ave.

Splitting hairs here, but FWIW Maryland has 4 Testudo statues on campus. There's one in Byrd, one in front of Xfinity, one in front of the main library, and one in front of the alumni center. I think it'd be a great move for you guys. Its a major part of our culture. You can't walk past him and not rub his nose. I'm a big fan of schools having culturally significant statues.

"The Yard" is not a good place for it. You want it down in the heart of CA in a nice open area, or near athletics facilities. Not on the edge of campus in an enclosed space.

Splitting hairs here, but FWIW Maryland has 4 Testudo statues on campus. There's one in Byrd, one in front of Xfinity, one in front of the main library, and one in front of the alumni center. I think it'd be a great move for you guys. Its a major part of our culture. You can't walk past him and not rub his nose. I'm a big fan of schools having culturally significant statues.
Love it. Thanks for the info. We should have at least 2 or 3, 1 at the stadium, 1 at the RAC & 1 on College Ave probably by the Barn.

I've been saying this for awhile as well - we need a massive impressive statue with a Scarlet Knight on a horse. Should've been done years ago !

As for location - I agree there should only be 1 and the location should be scenic and central. I think near the student center / Barn on college Ave is a great spot. Not sure what the old grease truck site will look like but that's another good spot.

Cost I'm sure is an issues as it would be expensive and a pure luxury item. If the school came out and said we're doing it, here's the rendering. I would bet they could raise funds privately in a short time. Something like this changes the image of the university

Reactions: LadyRU09 and SF88
"The Yard" is not a good place for it. You want it down in the heart of CA in a nice open area, or near athletics facilities. Not on the edge of campus in an enclosed space.
I wouldn't place it in the yard but somewhere visible in front of it. That area with just the students living there and the bus stop will be an active area and I'm not even including the students going to and from Scott hall and the rest of the class rooms across the street. And people are always walking up and down college ave. Another good location would be in front of the college ave gym

I hope this gets done and the 250th anniversary would be a great time to unveil it. It would fit nicely in front of the stadium but other than game days that area doesn't get any foot traffic. Something like this needs to be on College Ave.

Reactions: Korbermeister

"The Yard" is not even close to being the edge of campus. It's right across from Old Queens, Scott Hall and other classrooms and is a very busy area during a normal school day. You then have the bookstore, Easton ave apartments, Scarlet Fever and all of the off campus housing down Hamilton extending further away from College Ave which drives a lot of foot traffic through the area. Then the Yard itself will be a hub of activity. I would have never considered the Grease Trucks to be on the edge of campus.

The Yard would be the best spot for this in my opinion. The other option would be down towards the Barn/Brower but with that area set to be hopefully remolded in a few years it probably makes sense to stick in in front the "The Yard".

CC8713.png

You mean like this guy...
7534229.jpg

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
Here's an idea: have George "The Zoff" acquire half a billion dollars in state appropriations to have a multi-colored knight made of shipping containers. When it's incomplete due to cost over-runs, he can blame Julie for it.

As for the UCF one? Nice but our guy has a sword and not a lance.

Just make a bronze one like we have now.

As for the UCF one? Nice but our guy has a sword and not a lance.

Just make a bronze one like we have now.
You missed the point. UCF's was just an example. Ours would have our sword (not a lance), etc.

You missed the point. UCF's was just an example. Ours would have our sword (not a lance), etc.
Some have said in the thread they wanted one just like the UCF version which is why I posted my thoughts.

You and I are on the same page.

Seems like this would be a great opportunity to get the students to participate other than academics and sport and leave a permanent mark on Rutgers. Have a design competition for the statue and let them vote for their favorite.

Seems like this would be a great opportunity to get the students to participate other than academics and sport and leave a permanent mark on Rutgers. Have a design competition for the statue and let them vote for their favorite.
There are lot of things I would like to see RU do with more of an in house flair.

But not sure on this one.

When I was an undergrad, I tried to get a statue built in front of the Barn that would highlight the first game. It would be a flat panel with a 3D sculpture coming out of it, with an image like the one below.

There was no funding available, so I tried to get the university to at least put up a historical marker or sign about the first game in front of the Barn. That wouldn't cost that much, and it would be great if someone could at least make that happen.

As for a knight statue, I think it would be great to place it right at the entrance to the campus from Rt 18, on the corner of the new Honors College.

-Scarlet Jerry

When I was an undergrad, I tried to get a statue built in front of the Barn that would highlight the first game. It would be a flat panel with a 3D sculpture coming out of it, with an image like the one below.

There was no funding available, so I tried to get the university to at least put up a historical marker or sign about the first game in front of the Barn. That wouldn't cost that much, and it would be great if someone could at least make that happen.

As for a knight statue, I think it would be great to place it right at the entrance to the campus from Rt 18, on the corner of the new Honors College.

-Scarlet Jerry

Not sure when you were an undergrad, but they have put up a plaque inside the Barn as of at least last year. Biggest problem in my mind is that the other half is a parking lot.

Cool? Yes. But nice....eh. It's at a pretty major intersection. I think the best place would be on the new quad when Brower/Records hall gets torn down, and in the meantime, right in front of Bishop Place. Just move it over afterwards.

Not sure when you were an undergrad, but they have put up a plaque inside the Barn as of at least last year. Biggest problem in my mind is that the other half is a parking lot.

Cool? Yes. But nice....eh. It's at a pretty major intersection. I think the best place would be on the new quad when Brower/Records hall gets torn down, and in the meantime, right in front of Bishop Place. Just move it over afterwards.

BUMPING

Seems like 100% agreement that a Knight statue is a great idea. Waiting for Cofifa to chime in. He was "all-in" for a knight statue a couple years ago

Pfft - you all are thinking small time. With our Death Star construction technology we could construct a knight on horseback miles high with a foot on each campus.

Reactions: Korbermeister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT