ADVERTISEMENT

SCARLET KNIGHT STATUE

I thought the Scarlet Knight Statue should have it's own thread. Is there any reason not to have a Scarlet Knight Statue?? It should be on the "Yard", or up near the Barn ( site of 1st game ) The Lion Shrine is the 2nd most photographed place in PA ( Liberty Bell #1). The Knight Statue would also be a great photo op. Either a knight or knight on a horse. The frats could guard it all night at homecoming. It would be the must get photo in your cap/gown. It would generate a little school spirit each time you walk past. What say you Cofifa???

Great idea....and we just need 1.

Holiday bump
Speaking of Holiday bumps...

Hey @SF88,

Do you have any 2'x3' R flags (with the B1G emblem on them) in stock?

I was told by a very important person connected to RU that I need to replace the one at my parent's house.

How about making a class/some classes for this?
Business class: Learn about fundraising and marketing for fundraising. Fund raise.
Arts Class: Come up with designs for the statue, learn about what kinds of materials are available, etc.
Landscaping: Discuss how to landscape around monuments and statues.

Even if it's not the final work, I feel this is a great thing to provide students with real life examples.

How about making a class/some classes for this?
Business class: Learn about fundraising and marketing for fundraising. Fund raise.
Arts Class: Come up with designs for the statue, learn about what kinds of materials are available, etc.
Landscaping: Discuss how to landscape around monuments and statues.

Even if it's not the final work, I feel this is a great thing to provide students with real life examples.
Been saying this for YEARS.

We already have our own in-house staff for this. It's not like we're APEX Tech.

There is talent sitting behind the desks in classrooms at RU in every one of the above categories.

Whether they do the work themselves or at least intern with the group that does, get the kids involved.

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight
We are working on the Knight......more complicated process to have a commissioned statute then you would think....will let you know how we are progressing but we want to unvail it either before the first game ( maybe in conjunction with a Pep Rally at the The Yard@CollegeAve or the Friday before Homecoming

We are working on the Knight......more complicated process to have a commissioned statute then you would think....will let you know how we are progressing but we want to unvail it either before the first game ( maybe in conjunction with a Pep Rally at the The Yard@CollegeAve or the Friday before Homecoming
You. Are. Awesome. Where are you looking at for the location, The Yard or stadium? On the horse like UCF or off. Thanks.

The Yard . I have no jurisdiction at stadium . I also believe it will become more iconic on college age. It should be important even to students and faculty on a daily basis and to those who may not be football fans . It is a symbol of the entire university . It should be where HS students on admission tours take there photo , on orientation weekend and at graduation , it should be a pledge class photo etc.
standing I don't want to encourage people claiming on it late at night

The Yard . I have no jurisdiction at stadium . I also believe it will become more iconic on college age. It should be important even to students and faculty on a daily basis and to those who may not be football fans . It is a symbol of the entire university . It should be where HS students on admission tours take there photo , on orientation weekend and at graduation , it should be a pledge class photo etc.
standing I don't want to encourage people claiming on it late at night
YES!! (but the temptation to climb an iconic statue is unavoidable, especially during celebrations. GO RU!)

Reactions: Leonard23
I also believe it will become more iconic on college age. It should be important even to students and faculty on a daily basis and to those who may not be football fans . It is a symbol of the entire university . It should be where HS students on admission tours take there photo , on orientation weekend and at graduation , it should be a pledge class photo etc.
So true @Cofifa that is exactly the way people at USC treat Tommy Trojan. Nearly any time of day people are out there taking pictures with him.

Hopefully the knight will be completely covered in armor so we won't have to worry about any ethnicity/male/female issues and can just appreciate the Knight as a symbol.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
The Yard . I have no jurisdiction at stadium .

How about by the Honors College? That area has more of a College feel.

The Yard, from what I've seen, is more like an "across the street from campus" mixed-use area that could just as easily be a non-university residential/retail building. There is nothing about the architecture or design that suggests collegiate.

But 80% of the people that frequent the Yard will be students . 9,000 students use the bus stop thousands use Scott hall . Honors college has a limited constituency and many students would have to look for it . Lots of students will be hitting Starbucks , surf taco etc and coming tons pep rally on the green or watch an away game on the big board or movie night ...it will become one of the centers of campus life in college ave

How about by the Honors College? That area has more of a College feel.

The Yard, from what I've seen, is more like an "across the street from campus" mixed-use area that could just as easily be a non-university residential/retail building. There is nothing about the architecture or design that suggests collegiate.

The Honors College area needs a Colonel Henry Rutgers statue instead of a knight. And I'd love to see Old Queens have Alexander Hamilton in his military regalia looking over the Raritan.

Reactions: ScarletDave
But 80% of the people that frequent the Yard will be students . 9,000 students use the bus stop thousands use Scott hall . Honors college has a limited constituency and many students would have to look for it . Lots of students will be hitting Starbucks , surf taco etc and coming tons pep rally on the green or watch an away game on the big board or movie night ...it will become one of the centers of campus life in college ave

I thought the Honors College was at the opposite end of Voorhees Mall from Old Queens. And I thought the plan was to continue the Voorhees Mall walking paths through the Honors College to Bishop House. So a Scarlet Knight statue on the hill overlooking Voorhees Mall would essentially be in the middle of campus.

I walked past "The Yard" yesterday. That's going to be an unbelievable place for students to gather and it's a perfect area for that statue.

Reactions: Zak57

Honestly, if I could choose one place for it, I'd choose the new quad when it gets built. The Yard, good place though it is, is on the edge of campus. It's close to many of the academic buildings, but you've already got an iconic statue in that area, Willie the Silent.

The majority of people hanging out and activism, and center of life at College ave takes place at the student center and Brower steps. And assuming the new quad comes out well, that's where it should stay. I'd love to see more buildings like Murray Hall in that area. With a knight statue as the focal point, I think it'd be a wonderful capstone, right in the beating heart, between dining halls, academic buildings, student centers, housing.

But having it start in the Yard is a great idea. Let's at least get it made while there's momentum.

Frankly, I wish the administration would relinquish their hold on Old Queens. That building should have more purpose than as a generic office building students can't go into. There are students who don't even know where Kirkpatrick Chapel is.

In any other state, I'd agree with you but the word Union is ubiquitous in NJ and brings to mind too many competing images that have nothing to do with Rutgers
Well geographically speaking it fits.

The other stuff...eh.

This forum already knows how I feel on the yard thing. It's not a yard, it's a place that just happens to border Union Street.

Love the project, hate the name.

Honestly, if I could choose one place for it, I'd choose the new quad when it gets built. The Yard, good place though it is, is on the edge of campus. It's close to many of the academic buildings, but you've already got an iconic statue in that area, Willie the Silent.

The majority of people hanging out and activism, and center of life at College ave takes place at the student center and Brower steps. And assuming the new quad comes out well, that's where it should stay. I'd love to see more buildings like Murray Hall in that area. With a knight statue as the focal point, I think it'd be a wonderful capstone, right in the beating heart, between dining halls, academic buildings, student centers, housing.

But having it start in the Yard is a great idea. Let's at least get it made while there's momentum.

Frankly, I wish the administration would relinquish their hold on Old Queens. That building should have more purpose than as a generic office building students can't go into. There are students who don't even know where Kirkpatrick Chapel is.

I'd like to see Winnants used for seminars rather than just as the board(s) meeting space. They could meet anywhere.
This would bring at least some student activity back to the OQ campus.

Agreed I was in 15 Washington last night and I was glad to see the students using all those great spaces ... You feel smarter

Agreed I was in 15 Washington last night and I was glad to see the students using all those great spaces ... You feel smarter
Too bad you weren't sitting there when trying to come up with a name.

4fb9d255e396e5badc865eabe0826673fc26bfb73ac9a9e57c3beb7dfe8a8a28.gif

I'm here all week...try the veal. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cofifa you are awesome !! This would be so great if it is a large iconic statue for the University.

Cofifa what kind of job openings are there at DEVCO? I want to join the cause - you guys do outstanding work.

I love this topic and I really hope we put something up. As a way to completely avoid any gender bias, the knight should have no skin or facial features visible. It should be completely in armor.

In terms of how it should be positioned: something like the below, but again with his head completely enclosed and no crosses. Don't want to look overly ready to fight, but guarded to throw down if needed.
CC8713.png

EDIT: and it should absolutely be on College Ave. That's where the vast majority of visitors will visit. From the Yard to purchasing books to the student union. Busch and Livingston are only heavily visited a couple of days a year. Put it in the park at the top of the new Academic Buildings area.
I like this pose it get us the shield and sword...thoughts?

I like this pose it get us the shield and sword...thoughts?
It's a good start.

But I do like the idea of our Knight being on horseback.

And as @RUseaweed said...

"As a way to completely avoid any gender bias, the knight should have no skin or facial features visible. It should be completely in armor."

Which why I like the look we have now with the one at the FB games. The end product doesn't have to look exactly like it but should be used as the template.

The head/helmet should look like the logo/ knight on horseback, for identity and seeming more 'legit" purposes.
7534229.jpg

Rutgers-Knight-NJ.jpg

bigR.gif

uakjmedjwh9ndzd4lkll.gif

Also, how about right between those new classroom buildings on college ave behind the Honors College? Aren't they planning on a big open space with stairs?
Like right at the bottom of the stairs. Perfect photo op

rutgers-1.jpg

Reactions: lawmatt78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT