ADVERTISEMENT

Schadrac Casimir

Schadrac!

More shooters the better. Plus, he is not coming off injury.

Consistently, he has been a very good three point shooter.
---
which makes me wonder which the coach would take if they both wanted to verbal at the same time

---
which makes me wonder which the coach would take if they both wanted to verbal at the same time

It depends what they see I guess. That is what we do not have at our digression.

I am not sold on all the attention Ehab is getting. Beauty of the limited liability grad transfer.

From what I have read on Iona's forum, Shradrac is a good player. Many were upset to see him leave. If he was interested, I don't see why Rutgers wouldn't take him. Local, good shooter, hits free throws, etc.

Reactions: dkostus
I was thinking about this... another great reason to bring Shadrac in would be for all the young guards (Geo, Mathis, McConnell, etc.) to get to chase around a small quick veteran PG in practice all day and get practice using their length to defend against speed/quickness that they don't have as much as. You can use angles, positioning and length to make up for a lot of that, but you need practice actually doing it every day.

I was thinking about this... another great reason to bring Shadrac in would be for all the young guards (Geo, Mathis, McConnell, etc.) to get to chase around a small quick veteran PG in practice all day and get practice using their length to defend against speed/quickness that they don't have as much as. You can use angles, positioning and length to make up for a lot of that, but you need practice actually doing it every day.

Jacob Young also helps with that. (Not negating your point. Just saying that the caliber of practice competition will be much higher this year)

Reactions: Scangg and dkostus
Committed to Florida Gulf Coast.

Seems like this ends our shot at a grad transfer. We'll see if Pikiell brings in another guy late (like Omoruyi) or rolls the scholarship over.

Well, I assume McConnell will get at least about 10-12 minutes a game now unless another PG comes in this summer. I am hoping that we can still get Hyatt as well.

Ton of pressure on Geo this year with ball handling duties. He looked uncomfortable at times last year when the on ball pressure was turned up.

Ton of pressure on Geo this year with ball handling duties. He looked uncomfortable at times last year when the on ball pressure was turned up.
Agree. We really need a reliable PG this coming season. I would love a James Beatty-type JUCO transfer ready to play.

I would think that if Casimir committed to Florida Gulf Coast over us than we probably weren't all that interested.

Reactions: zebnatto
Good player. I thought HM was a reach tho at his size. Proven though. 10 ppg and 3 year starter on 3 NCAA Tournament teams. Very good shooter and ball handler but small.

I really was hoping that they could land him. Too bad. I wonder if we will ever know how much the staff pursued him.

Saw FGCU get trampled earlier this year by Toledo at Hertz Arena, coached by ex-Rutgers assistant Tod Kowalczyk (?). Casimir is on a bad team with a first-year head coach who is searching for answers. FGCU is a shadow of itself. Casimir had 2 points against Toledo. FGCU was drubbed by Colgate in their last game. O-U-C-H.

It's always...(I cannot stress enough) always to take stats with a understanding of who the player is playing.

If you blindly looked at Casimir's stats, 49.2% from 3 looks very impressive....it's actually very much deceiving.

I would look at who they played and the sequence of when a player gets his shots and who he gets his shots against.

Illinois State in game 1...6 of 7 from 3...

Vs a school named Southeastern, who doesn't even have a profile page on ESPN.com, Casimir drained another 2 of 5.

When a player registers a game like 6 out of 7 from 3, it registers alarms with teams on your schedule the rest of the way.

Next up for Casimir, Michigan State at East Lansing....he went 1 of 7 from the floor and 1 of 2 from 3 for 5 total points in 31 minutes....FGCU lost 106 -82.

Next is South Dakota State, who is 10-1 currently on the season....actually only got 1 3 point shot attempt off the entire game....why do we think Casimir only got 1 3 point attempt in 25 minutes?? Probably because defenses and better teams and programs will take away the strength of what someone does well.

Then it's 10-1 Toledo and he went 0-2 from 3....and 1 of 7 from the floor overall....in 22 minutes of play.

4 of 11 from the floor and 3-10 vs 5-6 Colorado State

5 of 8 from the floor vs UT San antonio...1 of 2 from 3

6 of 11 from floor vs Florida Atlantic...3 of 7 from 3

3 of 11 from floor vs Florida International...3 of 8 from 3....

3 of 7 from floor vs Colgate....1 of 5 from 3.

8 of 12 from floor vs Oral Roberts...Oral Roberts is 4 -9 on the season.....he knocked down 7 of 8 from 3....

4 of 8 from floor vs UMBC....3 of 5 from 3.

There was a thread about grad transfers and shooting percentages coming out of smaller conferences and how that would translate to 1 of the Top 2 or 3 leagues in the country.

Casimir vs actual competition like Michigan State, Toledo and South Dakota State is 1 of 5 from 3....that means if a team has actual players, you cannot take his shooting percentages as reality.

He has 8 of 12 in his 1st 2 games from 3, ran into teams paying attention and numbers are not quite 50%....

I had mentioned that Geo Baker was a 31% shooter from 3 last year if you removed his 6 out of 8 performance vs Bryant college AND factoring in, shooting against the shot clock, against legitimate competition and how impressive I thought his shooting was, given the circumstances as a true freshman.

Others argued that I had to count his best shooting game and worse shooting game. My argument is that it's best to remove someone's best shooting game from 3 or consider the competition.

I feel fairly confident that if Baker or someone at a B1G level, played Casimir's schedule, his numbers would look very similar if not better in overall PPG and very close to his 3 point percentage.

Casimir is a nice, quick guard who is considered a volume shooter and streaky. I don't have any doubt he could have added something at RU, but I think his 3 point percentages vs our schedule of St Johns, Seton Hall, Miami, Wisconsin, Michigan State etc, would be nowhere near 50% from 3....it would be likely under 30% or closer to 25%.

Who you play against and when matters..... who your opposing coaches are that scout tendencies matters..., where you play matters......the size,.speed,.quickness of the opponents, night in and night out matters.

Casimir's 3 point percentages are miles better than Seton Halls Myles Powell...
..Powell is shooting 39% from 3....in 2017-18, Powell shot 37.8% from 3, with 4 established starters on the floor with him last year. I can assure everyone that Powell is significantly better in every facet of the game than Casimir, but faces elite focus from opposing coaches....if you look at just stats, without details or context, it means very little.

If you look at Powell's games, there are games he was shut down from 3 by Louisville, Nebraska and St. Louis, because he is under duress as the 1 option each and every possession and has a green light to shoot, whenever he has even a split second of space....and other games where he got loose (like Saturday) and literally carries a team on his back.

Casimir (to me) would not help RU this year....Ironically I feel significantly better with Jacob Young's stats transferring better here from Texas, because he's played against elite Big 12 defenses and coaches, so his stat line will translate to real contributions here as a junior or senior. Young is miles better than Casimir.....

Many may disagree but the details matter....

Shooting over 50% from 3. Also 86% at the line. I maintain he would have been an asset here.

Five days after NJH's post, he scored 10 points against Florida without hitting a three (2-5 from the field, 6-6 from the stripe)

McConnell has been a nice asset for us and is getting some nice experience and is determined to get better.(gym rat).. having Casimir could have impeded his playing time and not sure how much he would be a factor vs BIG competition.

ADVERTISEMENT