ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano and Howard coach words at end of game

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Clearly, the Howard coach took exception to the last TD and he told Greg so. Greg said said "Good luck" and walked away, then went back.

Take a knee? I think not. The big boys never took a knee when they beat our brains out BITD.

This is big boy football. Take it like one...

Clearly, the Howard coach took exception to the last TD and he told Greg so. Greg said said "Good luck" and walked away, then went back.

Take a knee? I think not. The big boys never took a knee when they beat our brains out BITD.

Greg was not happy that Howard called TOs. He said it to the D at the end of the game.

The last two plays surprised and dismayed me. When you have a chance to kneel and end the game, you do. Even the big boys in the NFL do.

In the total scheme of things it is of little consequence. But I do understand that the Howard coach might be pissed.

We noticed this in our house, too. 9 times out of 10, I'm the guy saying, "just take a knee; there's no reason to embarrass anyone." But this situation was different because Howard's moron coach took time outs to try and get the ball back with a minute to go in the game. Once he did that, then I didn't have any problem with Schiano getting his freshman his first TD.

Greg was not happy that Howard called TOs. He said it to the D at the end of the game.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

With NIL, players have a financial incentive to showcase their talents right up until the final second of a game. They don’t want their coach telling them to take a knee, even in a blowout. Unfortunately, sportsmanship is no longer a thing in college football.

The last two plays surprised and dismayed me. When you have a chance to kneel and end the game, you do. Even the big boys in the NFL do.

In the total scheme of things it is of little consequence. But I do understand that the Howard coach might be pissed.

Recall GS is the coach that had his team rush on a kneel down

ByN6DgA.gif

Ever see Michigan, Ohio State or psu take a knee against us? I haven't. (Remember 78-0 vs Michigan? 55-10 vs psu..twice? 58-0 vs Ohio State?)

You put your second and your third string guys in and you let them get their shot at proving themselves, and get a TD if the other team can't stop you.

Ever see Michigan, Ohio State or psu take a knee against us? I haven't. (Remember 78-0 vs Michigan? 55-10 vs psu..twice? 58-0 vs Ohio State?)

You put your second and your third string guys in and you let them get their shot at proving themselves, and get a TD if the other team can't stop you.
I don't have an issue with displaying a higher level of class than Michigan, Ohio State, or PSU.

Greg often called timeouts in garbage time when losing big for teachable moments. Coach and play for 60 minutes. But I don’t remember him ever complaining when the other team continued to pile on points.

This reminded me of when PSU scored on a very late TD bomb rather than run out the clock which enabled them to cover the spread. Graber and JoePa had highly unfriendly words on the field ( Meadowlands) after the game.

I’d not think twice about this one except for the covering the spread part. Because of only that, I don’t think this was kosher.

I don’t think there were any starters on the field at that point.

Getting your backup QB and lineman some meaningful snaps, not just taking a knee, is very valuable as you never know when they may be called on.
We handed the ball off from 11yards out on the last play of the game and they missed numerous tackle attempts. Hardly running it up.

I was very surprised Greg didn't take a knee there as well.

But then I thought, sorry Howard, but this is a practice game for Rutgers. And, given how sketchy the team played in the 1st half, I can understand Greg wanting to take advantage of every opportunity to take a look at some young guys in a game situation.

Greg often called timeouts in garbage time when losing big for teachable moments. Coach and play for 60 minutes. But I don’t remember him ever complaining when the other team continued to pile on points.

This reminded me of when PSU scored on a very late TD bomb rather than run out the clock which enabled them to cover the spread. Graber and JoePa had highly unfriendly words on the field ( Meadowlands) after the game.

I’d not think twice about this one except for the covering the spread part. Because of only that, I don’t think this was kosher.
It may have happened at the Meadowlands too, but I was there at State Penn when Graber and Paterno had a heated exchange during the after game handshake. It was after Mike McQueary disregarded a kneel down play and called an audible pass play to score so that the Nits covered the spread. Mike had a big gambling problem and needed to cover. I don't have proof that he ever did anything more than bet on his own games, but he was a NFL caliber quarterback who didn't even get a sniff from a team, nor really work as a coach anywhere other than State Penn. And I believe the reason why McQueary never said anything about catching Sandusky molesting a kid in the locker room was because it would also publicly expose his gambling problem, which would end his coaching career.

Do we really know if the Howard coach complained? Just because they talk doesn’t mean he complained. Maybe he was asking about our gymnastics coach
In the post game press conference, one of the reporters said he visited both locker rooms and confirmed the Howard coach wasn't happy. Schiano's response touched on Howard calling timeouts, but said it wasn't vindictive.

Reactions: newell138
I don't have a problem with the last TD. It was a running play , not a passing play and scored by a true freshman getting some reps. And Ajani needs to run some actual plays , not just take a knee. No one should question Schiano's class and decency. His advising GW that AK won the starting QB job on the last day a player could place his name in the portal was a total class act that few head coaches at the Power 4 level would have done.

I was a little surprised we didn't kneel but it's not like we were throwing the ball. A true frosh got a carry from 11 yards out and had an amazing run to score. Hats off to him.
I was as well but it’s pretty rare to see a kneel any more to the point it’s almost disrespectful to stop playing. I used to hate not kneeling there but times change. It’s accepted practice to keep playing. Franklin would be passing the ball there fwiw.

I was very surprised Greg didn't take a knee there as well.

But then I thought, sorry Howard, but this is a practice game for Rutgers. And, given how sketchy the team played in the 1st half, I can understand Greg wanting to take advantage of every opportunity to take a look at some young guys in a game situation.
Also given the chippy play by them, the out of bounds hit, the end zone chop...they deserved a little icing on the cake.

In the post game press conference, one of the reporters said he visited both locker rooms and confirmed the Howard coach wasn't happy. Schiano's response touched on Howard calling timeouts, but said it wasn't vindictive.
Could not find video or audio of Larry Scott's press conference, but from several sources, this is what he said. To me, it's a big nothing burger. As others have pointed out, one could question why Howard took two time outs in the last 90 seconds of the game.

“The frustration obviously mounted,” Scott said. “I think things can be done a little bit better. He may have had his feelings about it and I had mine. I think we’re two competitive people. In that situation, I would have chose to handle it a little bit differently.”

“I can’t speak for him. I have a lot of respect for Coach Schiano, what he’s done and what he’s been able to do but we’re both competitors and in that situation, a little bit of frustration came out because I thought it could have been handled differently.”

Reactions: RW90

80-7 vs WVA.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Still scored…🤷🏻‍♂️

the facts of the situation do matter a lot.

handing it off to Brown or Kyle to punch it in from the 1 yard line as time expired is vastly different than giving the ball to a freshman (in his first career carries) to run up the middle from the 11 yard line

passing the ball as time expired (which IS in THAT situation basicially a trick play) is much different than handing the ball off to a freshman to run up the middle from the 11 yard line

more than 9 out of 10 times when running up the middle from the 11 you are NOT going to score. but the kid made a play and Howard missed a bunch of tackles.

I cant help you if you cant understand the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT