ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano : Rutgers needs to "Show we that we Belong."

jonS

All American
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2002
I love Schiano's message to Rutgers Nation but especially to his team that despite being 3-0 , Rutgers needs to show Michigan and the rest of the Big Ten that we belong. Great motivation and keeps that chip on one's shoulder.

Beating MD, Purdue, MSU and Indinia (hehe) won’t cut it…he’s right. Beat one of the big 4 (the cult, then nuts, the fighting harbaughs and the cheese people) and suddenly RU will be taken seriously. He always said we are “here” and we are looking UP that that bunch…

Agreed. It's all about perception and beating a Michigan regardless of ranking will mean more than beating a Indiana or Maryland.

From his lips to God's ear. Anything is possible, but won't be disappointed if we simply compete with the big 4 rather than getting run out of the stadium for a number of years.

My own personal turnaround plan had us getting upwards of 5 B1G wins by year 4, which we appear to be on track to do. Anything sooner, or more wins, is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: beaced
Beating MD, Purdue, MSU and Indinia (hehe) won’t cut it…he’s right. Beat one of the big 4 (the cult, then nuts, the fighting harbaughs and the cheese people) and suddenly RU will be taken seriously. He always said we are “here” and we are looking UP that that bunch…

I think that's still a couple years away.

Screw … imagine it’s 2031 and Schiano is still here. Do you think our place in the B1G East hierarchy is different than it is today ?

Do you foresee Rose Bowl contention ? Or in a scramble for 6-6/7-5 and 4th place in the division ?

Screw … imagine it’s 2031 and Schiano is still here. Do you think our place in the B1G East hierarchy is different than it is today ?

Do you foresee Rose Bowl contention ? Or in a scramble for 6-6/7-5 and 4th place in the division ?

I think we occasionally have upset wins that co-incide with the top of the conference having a down year and that's when we get an invitation to the BCS.

Maybe every 15 years or so we have a shot at the top.

Kinda like NW seems to get really good every 10 or 15 years.

I don't think we ever consistently hang with PSU at 10 or OSU at 5 or UM at 15.

We get to the top 25 sometimes and get lucky enough to beat the big guys rarely.

I think we end up as Iowa or maybe a little better - not quite Wisky. over the long haul.

Once in a while we have a run. Most of the time we hang around the top 25.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Well... let me walk that back and say I'm not sure how the NIL stuff might change that. Before that I was sure.

Johnny…are you also Rutgersal?

Screw…those opinions are rosy but not absurd. In my opinion, there will never be a ‘down year for the top of the conference” because those teams can’t all lose against each other the same season. One may have a down year, but the others that same year? Highly unlikely.

best case scenario is sweeping Maryland and Indiana and splitting against the top 4.

(It’s not the purpose of my question but my view above suggests 4 mil a year is too much to pay a coach bc the ceiling is low. Perhaps one 10-2 season every 15 years isn’t worth 4 mil a year and climbing)

Screw…those opinions are rosy but not absurd. In my opinion, there will never be a ‘down year for the top of the conference” because those teams can’t all lose against each other the same season. One may have a down year, but the others that same year? Highly unlikely.

best case scenario is sweeping Maryland and Indiana and splitting against the top 4.

(It’s not the purpose of my question but my view above suggests 4 mil a year is too much to pay a coach bc the ceiling is low. Perhaps one 10-2 season every 15 years isn’t worth 4 mil a year and climbing)

Why are you questioning salary for no reason beyond your own shit assumption?

fsg..true, I dont know how competitive we will be in the future. Please enlighten all of us who don’t know

I love Schiano's message to Rutgers Nation but especially to his team that despite being 3-0 , Rutgers needs to show Michigan and the rest of the Big Ten that we belong. Great motivation and keeps that chip on one's shoulder.
who we gotta beat to be accepted in da homie club?

I thought this already happened when RU beat Michigan in 2014 (before the Flood of Ashes).

Last edited:

I don't see any reason in the wealthiest, most densely populated nook of the country that we can't leverage that into being a championship caliber program. People point to the pro options to root for and fund, but last I checked Ohio has two pro teams too and Ohio State gets by pretty well. Michigan has a pro team and the population still supports two college programs that are better off than we are.

As long as the Jets and Giants are floundering (seems in definite at the moment) and have ridiculous ticket prices and PSLs, we have the opportunity to offer better value for fandom. Do that for a ten year run with Schiano at the helm and I see the path.

You guys act like we weren't k coming on the door 15 years ago with lesser facilities and in a lesser conference.

I think we occasionally have upset wins that co-incide with the top of the conference having a down year and that's when we get an invitation to the BCS.

We get to the top 25 sometimes and get lucky enough to beat the big guys rarely.

I think we end up as Iowa or maybe a little better - not quite Wisky. over the long haul.

Most fans would sign up for that.
Every 10 years, one or two 9 or 10 win season.
Six or so 7-8 win seasons every 10 years
Two or three 5-7 win seasons every 10 years.

Iowa makes me wonder why ANYONE can't build a program over time. Rutgers has better recruiting potential than friggin' Iowa. Maybe if Schiano hangs around for 20 years, he can build you into Iowa East.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Most fans would sign up for that.
Every 10 years, one or two 9 or 10 win season.
Six or so 7-8 win seasons every 10 years
Two or three 5-7 win seasons every 10 years.

Re-reading it maybe I was a tad low. I'd like to see us in the top 25 more often than not. I think we'll see it as long as Schiano is here.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Illinois went to the Rose Bowl a year after they couldn’t cross midfield against us. Lightning strikes sometimes, but you never know where or when (except in Back to the Future).

English could better from Schiano or your title of thread. "Show we that we Belong"???

From his lips to God's ear. Anything is possible, but won't be disappointed if we simply compete with the big 4 rather than getting run out of the stadium for a number of years.

My own personal turnaround plan had us getting upwards of 5 B1G wins by year 4, which we appear to be on track to do. Anything sooner, or more wins, is just icing on the cake.
beaced a B1G fan of icing.Butter cream chocolate please. Thank you.

if we can get a 3-4 year string of top 25 recruiting classes with legit 4 and 5 star recruits, I see no reason why we can't hang with and beat the best in the big ten after 4-5 years

Reactions: Scarlet83

Next step in rebuild is to be competitive with the big boys this year. Next couple of years we will win some of those the future is bright

One drop against WVU in ‘06 and one bad call in ’12 against L’ville kept RU from playing in a New Years Day bowl game and the trajectory of the program thereafter is anyone’s guess.

RU football program is just scratching the surface folks. An unexpected win against Mich or OSU breaks new ground.

GO RU

One drop against WVU in ‘06 and one bad call in ’12 against L’ville kept RU from playing in a New Years Day bowl game and the trajectory of the program thereafter is anyone’s guess.

RU football program is just scratching the surface folks. An unexpected win against Mich or OSU breaks new ground.

GO RU

Yes, you were very close that year. However, just making a major New Year's Day Bowl is no guarantee of future success.

hqdefault.jpg

If Greg is here in ten years I absolutely believe we win a national championship.
Your lips to god’s ears.
I am also hopeful but knowing Greg couldn’t win the Big East in his first 10 years here { and a watered down league at the end} that might be a very tall task. Be happy even sniffing the Playoffs in 10 years.

Your lips to god’s ears.
I am also hopeful but knowing Greg couldn’t win the Big East in his first 10 years here { and a watered down league at the end} that might be a very tall task. Be happy even sniffing the Playoffs in 10 years.
Hater alert

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT