ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano still working on the OC

Except it’s not because we have a HC. wonder if he goes back to the well (Minny).
I’ve mentioned Matt Simon a couple times as a possible guess for that reason. It can be announced regardless of whether he comes right away. I don’t see any reason for holding up on the announcement if he’s the one. Signing day is over now too.

Some assistants accept another job, but coach the bowl game before they make a complete split
Many others don’t. Given the terrible position the offense is in, it’s kinda imperative we were in the latter group.

I’ve mentioned Matt Simon a couple times as a possible guess for that reason. It can be announced regardless of whether he comes right away. I don’t see any reason for holding up on the announcement if he’s the one. Signing day is over now too.
Guessing is trying to be a good guy with his buddy Fleck. Announcing after the game.

Why not very promising? GS hinted it’s an OC that’s in a bowl game.
I didn’t hear he hinted it was an OC in a bowl game. He said any candidate is still employed. He didn’t want to out anyone. And once again that’s an excuse. Inly person you wait for to get through bowl season is a sure fire OC that is bringing talent with him because of name recognition. Otherwise you move to someone else on the list. This is not the old days. The game has changed. You can’t wait until after bowl season to make a hire. The portal and December signing period has changed the time frame.

Guessing is trying to be a good guy with his buddy Fleck. Announcing after the game.
Simon has coached at Rutgers too.

Announcing it has no effect on the bowl. It does have an effect on potential recruits and portal players. Everything is compressed in Dec and that’s a reason the majority of moves are at the very least announced if not happening immediately.

What’s done is done now but I don’t find that to be a legitimate reason, especially given the circumstances of our offense.

CFP and NFL are more legitimate but I’ve seen even moves from those areas be announced.

It’s not like they are sing in the playoffs.

These seems like last ditch hope. Why wouldn’t they announce it?

Many coaches have left teams playing in bowl games.
Cali
I have believed in Greg from the beginning.
Did not listen to the press conference, so glad to hear about the hinting.
That said the way the offense has been handled the last 2 years has been disappointing. Not having a OC before signing day, seems small time to me, and a recipe for failure. I hope I am wrong.
*sorry response meant for Jtung

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
This is in the minority as far as staying with the current team. But you see the move is announced nonetheless. It’s UNT and Alabama but it still was announced. No need to for secrecy.

Very disappointing.
Unless it's a CFP HC or OC (highly doubtful) then Big Ten OC should be a promotion.
As such, HC Schiano should demand immediately joining the team like many other coaching promotions.

This is basically the same as HC Ash situation then.
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here. There is nothing going on with RU football at this particular time (see below) that merits the OC getting to work right away. OTOH, there is no reason the announcement could not have been made, allow the OC to continue to coach, but he could do some recruiting up until signing day.

I'll take weird over disappointing, but perhaps disappointing in that maybe the new hire has no buzz or juice for recruiting.

On the bright side, Boston College is not in bowl, so at least we have that going for us.

Reactions: NickRU714
He got a shocking $1mm for Gleeson last time. So is OC NIL now $2mm?

This is a reflection of nobody wanting to touch this mess and work under Rockem Sockem Greg.

He has the cash and can't find an OC. Period.

Reactions: Caliknight
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here. There is nothing going on with RU football at this particular time (see below) that merits the OC getting to work right away. OTOH, there is no reason the announcement could not have been made, allow the OC to continue to coach, but he could do some recruiting up until signing day.

I'll take weird over disappointing, but perhaps disappointing in that maybe the new hire has no buzz or juice for recruiting.

On the bright side, Boston College is not in bowl, so at least we have that going for us.
Greg's likely hoping Haf gets canned and can come back and save his ass again.

Maybe the mystery bowl team is BC and not Minnesota???

Angry Season 6 GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
He got a shocking $1mm for Gleeson last time. So is OC NIL now $2mm?

This is a reflection of nobody wanting to touch this mess and work under Rockem Sockem Greg.

He has the cash and can't find an OC. Period.
Are you saying we have a 2mm budget for OC? Pass that over this way. It must be some strong stuff.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
No. He can’t sell sand. He’s not fooling anyone, and certainly no one in the coaching community. He’s just waiting for the best time to announce Nunzio since no one else wants to work under him.
Are all u negative nellies willing to put ur money where ur mouth is? It’s tiring. Give u 2 to 1 it’s not Nunzio. But I assume u won’t take me up on it.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
No lol. If recruiting is the end all be all he should just get Haf, Underwood, Brown and pay them boatloads and just run the whole show as he likes. Tri-Head recruiting coordinators. (don't mid me. I'm in a particularly frustrated mood tonight)

Are all u negative nellies willing to put ur money where ur mouth is? It’s tiring. Give u 2 to 1 it’s not Nunzio. But I assume u won’t take me up on it.
These guys have been circle jerking for decades. I think they like that we lose so they can complain. When we start winning they all pat each other on the backs or in some cases disappear and root against RU.

I think my problem with the delay is that we heard over and over we dont have the right players to run this system, whatever it is. We changed from a pro to a spread and its going to take time to get the right players was the excuse for struggling. So now the recruits will just fit into whatever system the new oc brings? Just another excuse if and when the struggles continue as far as I can see.

These guys have been circle jerking for decades. I think they like that we lose so they can complain. When we start winning they all pat each other on the backs or in some cases disappear and root against RU.
When we start winning, what year will that be. I have been hearing and rooting for over 40 year . All I have been hearing in when out ship will come in. Yeah I am frustrated as hell because I think we have been sold on a dream but done have the right man in charge to realize that dream. Now I will be the first and frankly would be happy to tell you that I was wrong and you must forgive my old mind for playing tricks on me if GS proves me wrong. I would also expect you to do the same if he proved you wrong.

Reactions: RUaMoose
I agree, if it was Nunz, the announcement would have been made. No reason to keep that under wraps.

I think my problem with the delay is that we heard over and over we dont have the right players to run this system, whatever it is. We changed from a pro to a spread and its going to take time to get the right players was the excuse for struggling. So now the recruits will just fit into whatever system the new oc brings? Just another excuse if and when the struggles continue as far as I can see.
That’s the biggest issue. Zero development going on and the recruiting/transfer window is done and we didn’t get anything where it’s needed most.

The OC was the biggest piece to the entire off-season. We had 3 months to get done and it’s still vacant. Other schools have fired and hired entire staffs in this same time.

It takes a lot of suspended belief to not see there is a serious issue going on.

Schiano has a reputation and that makes it hard to recruit talented coaches. This seems very obvious at this point.

I’m assuming that because there’s no other reason to wait.
There another reason: no one qualified wanting to work under him.

Could also be he’s waiting until the 2023 XFL season ends to hire one of those hot coaches. Maybe the Arlington Renegades OC ?

Reactions: BlockR
That’s the biggest issue. Zero development going on and the recruiting/transfer window is done and we didn’t get anything where it’s needed most.

The OC was the biggest piece to the entire off-season. We had 3 months to get done and it’s still vacant. Other schools have fired and hired entire staffs in this same time.

It takes a lot of suspended belief to not see there is a serious issue going on.

Schiano has a reputation and that makes it hard to recruit talented coaches. This seems very obvious at this point.
Technically it's not vacant as Nunzio is the current OC or am I wrong ?

Yes - he’s probably going to get another year there but that would be a great outcome. Hafley is a time bomb waiting to happen at BC and he’s not going to be a candidate for another HC job for a while. He’s already long proven himself as an OC so taking a chance on RU wouldn’t kill his career if it didn’t work out. Meanwhile there’d be huge upside for him. The promise of being GS’ clear successor one day.

Yes - he’s probably going to get another year there but that would be a great outcome. Hafley is a time bomb waiting to happen at BC and he’s not going to be a candidate for another HC job for a while. He’s already long proven himself as an OC so taking a chance on RU wouldn’t kill his career if it didn’t work out. Meanwhile there’d be huge upside for him. The promise of being GS’ clear successor one day.
Hafley OC? Long proven? What am I missing? Hafley has never coached that side of the ball. He is a recruiter/DB/DC.

Hafley OC? Long proven? What am I missing? Hafley has never coached that side of the ball. He is a recruiter/DB/DC.
I meant that he would have no trouble getting another crack at DC somewhere else so it would not be a risk to him. He’d be hired for recruiting.

The transfer window opens up again from May 1st to May 15th, and it sounded like we would be active then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT