ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano with Politi on NIL

I think it's clear that coaches hate this. Now they have to work even harder to get the same recruits and ask for money even more frequently, which is probably already tiring. They want to talk about the game with recruits not doing ads for local carpet shampoo companies.

I told you this would be out within a week. Schiano knows exactly what is needed and the$$$$ it will take. Not sure we will see enough fans step up. After seeing the past 39 years of frustration does give me pause… it also will give many others pause.Too many questions still ahead.

Now it's not just recruiting them into the program, but now they also have to focus on keeping them here.

We're they really OUR best players if they leave for just $$$? Maybe recruit some kids with character instead of kids who just want the $$$?
I don’t think it has anything to do with character. Most people in the world would leave their employer if someone offered them a boatload more money to do the same job.

We’re in the B1G with USC on the way. NIL is here whether fans like it or not. Time to put our big boy pants on and raise money!

We better not bring Stanford into Big 10. They have people that are filthy rich and if they want to win at any cost, no Big 10 school would be able to compete with them.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Wasn't NIL originally for athletes to be able to get paid for endorsements or ads? Now it's just giving money to get them to play at the school?

Go stick your mug on a billboard for a car dealership or do a YouTube commercial for a deli.
That was what originally was stated as the NIl intent . It later developed after it went through the court system to … we want this and we want that … and we sure as shit want to keep our bagmen . That’s not from the athletes themselves but the schools .if we want to do that fine but you better not B&M down the road.. The “we do it the right way “ is now a thing of the past. Time for Rutgers and it’s administration to forge ahead no short cuts.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I don’t think it has anything to do with character. Most people in the world would leave their employer if someone offered them a boatload more money to do the same job.

We’re in the B1G with USC on the way. NIL is here whether fans like it or not. Time to put our big boy pants on and raise money!

Even if you gave your word? Sounds like a Character issue to me. Unless all these players are only telling us they're here until better money comes along. In which case the whole house of cards that is a College's Football Team kinda falls apart. No?

Even if you gave your word? Sounds like a Character issue to me. Unless all these players are only telling us they're here until better money comes along. In which case the whole house of cards that is a College's Football Team kinda falls apart. No?
Not according to some Rutgers posters most under the age 35. Think money tree is now a part of the business model..

Pretty clear quote: millions per year in NIL payoffs or we will lose our better guys. No end in sight, and little chance of guys staying committed for the duration without money? No thanks.

Wasn't NIL originally for athletes to be able to get paid for endorsements or ads? Now it's just giving money to get them to play at the school?

Go stick your mug on a billboard for a car dealership or do a YouTube commercial for a deli.

I thought that the NIL was all supposed to be about Geo Baker being able to put his name on a basketball camp in New Hampshire to make a couple hundred bucks?

Last edited:
And when they improve and leave - well thanks for the $$$ chumps.

I'm out.
This is the fundamental problem with the whole idea of asking your average working class fan to foot the bill for this cost. The kids are not under any contract or obligation that once they accept your money they have to stay for multiple years. They can take your money and leave the next year for a bigger paycheck. So in affect those who contribute are actually footing the costs for the development of players for other programs that we may have to play in the future.

How does raising money help? Or is that just his nice way of saying, if you own a business, sponsor a player?

This is the fundamental problem with the whole idea of asking your average working class fan to foot the bill for this cost. The kids are not under any contract or obligation that once they accept your money they have to stay for multiple years. They can take your money and leave the next year for a bigger paycheck. So in affect those who contribute are actually footing the costs for the development of players for other programs that we may have to play in the future.
Aaaaand that sucks. Sorry, boys.

Reactions: suggakane
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Again, misconceptions rule the day here
Every state is different with NIL rules

Rutgers - won't pay kids in high school (yet), only in college, very specified what they're being paid to do and when / where (see McConnell, Caleb - btw we don't keep him without NIL)

Other places - These are multi million dollar business people writing checks. They didn't get there without being smart. Do you honestly think Joe Oil Guy at Texas ATM is writing checks to Johnny Football so Johnny Football can bail after one year?

For the big $$ contracts, there's verbiage written in where they have to stay for a certain period of time. Also in a lot of smaller contracts, there's clauses.

I honestly think a lot of this is jealousy of kids getting $$. Nobody cared when Schiano got paid. Yet GS could (and did) leave at anytime.

This is the new game. It's long overdue, but admittedly without rules and oversight, it's already become problematic. Hopefully we can step up and compete, and the oversight happens sooner rather than later

In regard to x number of teams can only compete now, look at the playoffs the past 5 years. It's Bama, Clemson, OSU and UGA (and Oklahoma). Do you honestly think they weren't buying players?

Clemson had NewSpring (amongst other things), Oklahoma has been dirty since the 70's. ATM gave Dickerson a yellow trans am, then he stabbed them in the back and went to $MU for more cash.

It's a brand new (and long overdue world). We weren't winning anything big pre-NIL. Now, at least we have a shot. Character is needed, but so are 4 and 5 starts. They weren't coming here before, now this at least gives us a fighting chance

Pretty clear quote: millions per year in NIL payoffs or we will lose our better guys. No end in sight, and little chance of guys staying committed for the duration without money? No thanks.
You have summarized it very well. The best players are now free agents every year and you either pay them market rate or buy players in the portal to replace them. Either way, RU will be paying.

Reactions: RUBOB72

Rutgers - won't pay kids in high school (yet), only in college, very specified what they're being paid to do and when / where (see McConnell, Caleb - btw we don't keep him without NIL)

Other places - These are multi million dollar business people writing checks. They didn't get there without being smart. Do you honestly think Joe Oil Guy at Texas ATM is writing checks to Johnny Football so Johnny Football can bail after one year?

For the big $$ contracts, there's verbiage written in where they have to stay for a certain period of time. Also in a lot of smaller contracts, there's clauses.

I honestly think a lot of this is jealousy of kids getting $$. Nobody cared when Schiano got paid. Yet GS could (and did) leave at anytime.

This is the new game. It's long overdue, but admittedly without rules and oversight, it's already become problematic. Hopefully we can step up and compete, and the oversight happens sooner rather than later

In regard to x number of teams can only compete now, look at the playoffs the past 5 years. It's Bama, Clemson, OSU and UGA (and Oklahoma). Do you honestly think they weren't buying players?

Clemson had NewSpring (amongst other things), Oklahoma has been dirty since the 70's. ATM gave Dickerson a yellow trans am, then he stabbed them in the back and went to $MU for more cash.

It's a brand new (and long overdue world). We weren't winning anything big pre-NIL. Now, at least we have a shot. Character is needed, but so are 4 and 5 starts. They weren't coming here before, now this at least gives us a fighting chance
I agree with some of this but please stop equating what a coach makes with a student. Please.

this makes it harder for any non blue blood, to make gains not easier, aka Rutgers

You think it’s great . Others think it’s well over due and a part of the landscape. Still many others are questioning the exact thing you point out. If states now have different rules on when the payments can begin to high schoolers or what is written into the individual contracts of a player who then actually is controlling this thing which is most important . Does the conference? Does the school? Can’t wait until the first breach of contracts comes to the courtroom. Lawyers will be having a field day with this NIL. The original talking points are very different since Geo Baker and group got together. It has gone up several notches. I don’t believe fans nor alumni nor the administrations thought this was path schools were be lead to.

As bad and under the table as any of that was ( A& M /,Okie this is actually worse for schools . The $ 10-20-50 per month is nice to use at Rutgers but that should have been done 30-40’tears ago. Yes FAMILY is nice , slogans are cool but we have very few people who actually would put education and those things above the $$$$$. As that saying goes, ” money talks BS walks” how true that is in 2022 .

We better not bring Stanford into Big 10. They have people that are filthy rich and if they want to win at any cost, no Big 10 school would be able to compete with them.
Yeah right..that’s why their stadium is empty on Saturdays.
There is little interest in Stanford Football.

Reactions: Knight Shift
A sobering thought that two of our players were approached with NIL deals to leave. Our fan base will have to up their game. Perhaps we don't have the concentration of oil barrons Texas A&M does, but I would guess the RU fan base has more depth in numbers in terms of fans with disposable income that could donate something.

The way KTR is doing NIL is exactly this (bold). They match athletes with NIL opportunities (below is from the KTR website).

Knights of The Raritan offers Rutgers student-athletes near limitless opportunities to engage in NIL activations, including: autograph signings, social media promotions, camps and clinics, charity events, special appearances, product reviews, commercials, NFTs, and many more! The types of opportunities student-athletes engage in are determined by contributors and our board of directors and advisors.

It’s really important that people understand that KTR is doing NIL the right and intended way.

Last edited:
Reactions: angmo
Please answer this question. How do you know the length and terms of a KTR contract?

The pro-pay-for-players fans are now berating those fans who were against this change from the start in order to get them to donate.. or leave the board. This whole idea.. whether it was player pay or NIL.. is a bad idea and I think if enough people come out against it then it will be subject to some kind of controls and limits.

Even the pro-pay fans know this is going to destroy college football as we know it but they have a ready made defense.. it wasn't a bad idea, it is just that our fans suck. Same stuff they said when comparing us to teams who brown-bagged payments or built palaces for their players.

Unintended consequences abound when good intentions run amuck-- just look at our society in general

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Please answer this question. How do you know the length and terms of a KTR contract?

Are you implying that you know? If so, please disclose. If these kids are now tied to being at RU it seems that would address the concern(s) raised about the players being year-to-year free agents.

Are you implying that you know? If so, please disclose. If these kids are now tied to being at RU it seems that would address the concern(s) raised about the players being year-to-year free agents.
No, I don’t know. But any good contract is going to clearly convey expectations, consideration and protect both sides.

My point in asking the question is I don’t think the other poster knows either, but it didn’t stop him from making assumptions. There is so much misinformation on these message boards, I will people would take a breathe and educate themselves on how KTR is doing this before making wrong assumptions and spreading fear and misinformation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT