ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano with Politi on NIL

NCAA needs to reinstitute the one year sit out rule for transfers, no exceptions.
The NCAA is going in the opposite direction, they are approving unlimited tranfers with no sit out, they are just going to require that a player be in the portal during certain time periods if he wants to be eligible to play the next season. And i am sure the reason for this is that they have consulted their lawyers, and know they can’t win a case in the courts impeding transfers, because the courts almost uniformly support the rights of individuals in these types of artificial restraint situations.

Are you implying that you know? If so, please disclose. If these kids are now tied to being at RU it seems that would address the concern(s) raised about the players being year-to-year free agents.
The contracts are not with Rutgers, Rutgers can not pay players NIL money directly.

I agree with some of this but please stop equating what a coach makes with a student. Please.

this makes it harder for any non blue blood, to make gains not easier, aka Rutgers
I agree with some of this but please stop equating what a coach makes with a student. Please.

this makes it harder for any non blue blood, to make gains not easier, aka Rutgers
Why?

GS is making like 4 mil/year
The guys out there busting their tail shouldn’t be able to make money?

Guarantee if any of us were in school and athletes, and somebody was going to pay us but they consider fair market value, our twould change

As bad and under the table as any of that was ( A& M /,Okie this is actually worse for schools . The $ 10-20-50 per month is nice to use at Rutgers but that should have been done 30-40’tears ago. Yes FAMILY is nice , slogans are cool but we have very few people who actually would put education and those things above the $$$$$. As that saying goes, ” money talks BS walks” how true that is in 2022 .
NIL is going on before NIL
It wasn’t just at a few places, it was rampid amongst the big boys of college football
It was an inevitably going to happen, so anyone that’s surprised either has been paying attention or is it denial faze

Reactions: William J. Leggett
What if contracts with the collective and donors are for 2-4 years. Can they still transfer at will?
They might have to return some money, not saying they wouldn't, but the school that is poaching them i am sure would work the NIL deals to make up the difference.

Why?

GS is making like 4 mil/year
The guys out there busting their tail shouldn’t be able to make money?

Guarantee if any of us were in school and athletes, and somebody was going to pay us but they consider fair market value, our twould change
Said this before but free tuition/room and board plus a $100k nyc salary after graduation is going to trump the vast majority of NIL deals in terms of $ long term except for maybe the high 6 figure/7 figure deals.

Rutgers should really emphasize this

Said this before but free tuition/room and board plus a $100k nyc salary after graduation is going to trump the vast majority of NIL deals in terms of $ long term except for maybe the high 6 figure/7 figure deals.

Rutgers should really emphasize this
Absolutely they need to leverage that aspect

They might have to return some money, not saying they wouldn't, but the school that is poaching them i am sure would work the NIL deals to make up the difference.
It makes things very complicated. Does a kid and the poaching school really want to deal with lawyers? As long as we put up a fight I think we’ll be fine when it comes to keeping our players in their seats.

The pro-pay-for-players fans are now berating those fans who were against this change from the start in order to get them to donate.. or leave the board. This whole idea.. whether it was player pay or NIL.. is a bad idea and I think if enough people come out against it then it will be subject to some kind of controls and limits.

Even the pro-pay fans know this is going to destroy college football as we know it but they have a ready made defense.. it wasn't a bad idea, it is just that our fans suck. Same stuff they said when comparing us to teams who brown-bagged payments or built palaces for their players.
Not true… people had every right to question . It appears most , even the original supporters never expected this. Most here were not
against being compensated for NIL. This is now causing concerns about poaching best players yearly with no $$$$ limits attached. Wait until this filters down to kids in grammar school now that will be funny.

Stay tuned for more details. Clearly this whole thing is just beginning and how it works out in reality is anyone's guess at this point. Up front schools will raise yet more millions to hold on to current players and incoming classes but even 1-2 years from now things will be different. Probably a handful of big name schools that stumble out of the blocks will stumble on the field.

Again, misconceptions rule the day here
Every state is different with NIL rules

Rutgers - won't pay kids in high school (yet), only in college, very specified what they're being paid to do and when / where (see McConnell, Caleb - btw we don't keep him without NIL)

Other places - These are multi million dollar business people writing checks. They didn't get there without being smart. Do you honestly think Joe Oil Guy at Texas ATM is writing checks to Johnny Football so Johnny Football can bail after one year?

For the big $$ contracts, there's verbiage written in where they have to stay for a certain period of time. Also in a lot of smaller contracts, there's clauses.

I honestly think a lot of this is jealousy of kids getting $$. Nobody cared when Schiano got paid. Yet GS could (and did) leave at anytime.

This is the new game. It's long overdue, but admittedly without rules and oversight, it's already become problematic. Hopefully we can step up and compete, and the oversight happens sooner rather than later

In regard to x number of teams can only compete now, look at the playoffs the past 5 years. It's Bama, Clemson, OSU and UGA (and Oklahoma). Do you honestly think they weren't buying players?

Clemson had NewSpring (amongst other things), Oklahoma has been dirty since the 70's. ATM gave Dickerson a yellow trans am, then he stabbed them in the back and went to $MU for more cash.

It's a brand new (and long overdue world). We weren't winning anything big pre-NIL. Now, at least we have a shot. Character is needed, but so are 4 and 5 starts. They weren't coming here before, now this at least gives us a fighting chance
Isn't there some semantics going on with this notion that RU will not pay a kid while in HS? If the kid signs his LOI in December of his senior year, isn't he doing it with the understanding that he will be getting x amount of compensation for the following year? Now maybe he does not actually get any of it until he arrives either in Jan or June but the deal is done during the player recruitment period.

Do you even allow for the possibility that Alabama and Clemson were able to attract top athletes because of their extended period of excellence rather that assuming they were paying top dollar for kids all along? Why did it seem like both Dabo and Saban were out there pretty early with their concerns about this system? Probably because they knew other less successful schools in their conferences had deeper pockets.

I will grant you that there has been a need for greater consequences for coaches not honoring their deals and making sure that recruits and players impacted had the ability to move without penalties after meeting with the new coach. I thought we were headed in that direction before the NIL gravy train hit the station.

All this TV revenue for football supports the entire athletic program including many non-revenue sports. Look at the bottom line and tell me how many athletic programs turn a genuine profit. I don't think many. At least donations to facilitates building (which is also an out of control arms race) supports a generations of athletic teams rather than putting money into pockets of individual players.

I just cannot support where this is headed. I am stepping down my interest in RU athletics because despite the optimism that guys like you Geo and Nick are trying to sell many about the "opportunity", I have been around long enough to know RU will not thrive in this environment. Schiano knows his program is at a crossroads and thus is getting involved in a manner I am sure he would rather not have to engage. The smartest guy may have been Fran Brown who realized it was time to get out of town. Having said that, I think we are in a similar boat with at least a third of the conference members. Our ceiling has been lowered and our floor is probably around the same.

NIL is going on before NIL
It wasn’t just at a few places, it was rampid amongst the big boys of college football
It was an inevitably going to happen, so anyone that’s surprised either has been paying attention or is it denial faze
You lost me at “NIl is going on before NIL. No… I’ll pay you this $$$$ amount if you attend my school… bagman to Eric Dickerson … just like some others and there are hundreds.

I always wondered how much Jilleba got from Bama or Harris to Penn State ? I can’t confirm but it always was a question for New Jersey Rutgers fans.

You lost me at “NIl is going on before NIL. No… I’ll pay you this $$$$ amount if you attend my school… bagman to Eric Dickerson … just like some others and there are hundreds.
That’s exactly what I’m referring to Bob, it was going on at many places. It wasn’t just SMU / A&M with Dickerson it was rampant throughout college football amongst the big boys, if you weren’t doing it you were getting left behind.

Certainly some of the schools are doing it more than others and on a different scale, but this has been going on forever

Isn't there some semantics going on with this notion that RU will not pay a kid while in HS? If the kid signs his LOI in December of his senior year, isn't he doing it with the understanding that he will be getting x amount of compensation for the following year? Now maybe he does not actually get any of it until he arrives either in Jan or June but the deal is done during the player recruitment period.

Do you even allow for the possibility that Alabama and Clemson were able to attract top athletes because of their extended period of excellence rather that assuming they were paying top dollar for kids all along? Why did it seem like both Dabo and Saban were out there pretty early with their concerns about this system? Probably because they knew other less successful schools in their conferences had deeper pockets.

I will grant you that there has been a need for greater consequences for coaches not honoring their deals and making sure that recruits and players impacted had the ability to move without penalties after meeting with the new coach. I thought we were headed in that direction before the NIL gravy train hit the station.

All this TV revenue for football supports the entire athletic program including many non-revenue sports. Look at the bottom line and tell me how many athletic programs turn a genuine profit. I don't think many. At least donations to facilitates building (which is also an out of control arms race) supports a generations of athletic teams rather than putting money into pockets of individual players.

I just cannot support where this is headed. I am stepping down my interest in RU athletics because despite the optimism that guys like you Geo and Nick are trying to sell many about the "opportunity", I have been around long enough to know RU will not thrive in this environment. Schiano knows his program is at a crossroads and thus is getting involved in a manner I am sure he would rather not have to engage. The smartest guy may have been Fran Brown who realized it was time to get out of town. Having said that, I think we are in a similar boat with at least a third of the conference members. Our ceiling has been lowered and our floor is probably around the same.
My guess is that things actually won't change much in the immediate future. Schools that already have a big money advantage will raise enough money to maintain their advantages. Schools that lag will continue to lag. But you have to wonder what will happen down the road when you have teams with some very highly paid players and some who get nothing, and teams with paid players going against teams with few or no paid players. Will some schools decide it's too much and bail out? Think about midmajor programs like Memphis, Temple, Buffalo, New Mexico that will not be able to come up with much or any NIL money for players. I can't imagine too many of those types of schools have fans and alumni willing to put money together for this. Will they stop playing the big boys altogether? Shifting conferences also mean an awful lot of P5 programs are looking at declining media revenue: everyone left in the Big 12 and the PAC 12. Will some of the programs there, losing the money battle from two directions, bail out?

It makes things very complicated. Does a kid and the poaching school really want to deal with lawyers? As long as we put up a fight I think we’ll be fine when it comes to keeping our players in their seats.
Depends on the position and money being offered. A guy who develops into a stud LT probably will be offered enough $s to make all the extra fuss worthwhile.

How could NCAA not see that this will be a problem ?
They did. They had rules against it. The Supreme Court invalidated their rules (on anti-trust grounds). You can't blame the NCAA for having the courts invalidate their rules.

EDIT: I'll even go so far as to say, the Supreme Court ruled correctly (based on federal law). That of course, makes the biggest culprit the Congress. The Congress could grant an anti-trust exemption for intercollegiate athletics tomorrow and fix this entire thing.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
The way KTR is doing NIL is exactly this (bold). They match athletes with NIL opportunities (below is from the KTR website).

Knights of The Raritan offers Rutgers student-athletes near limitless opportunities to engage in NIL activations, including: autograph signings, social media promotions, camps and clinics, charity events, special appearances, product reviews, commercials, NFTs, and many more! The types of opportunities student-athletes engage in are determined by contributors and our board of directors and advisors.

It’s really important that people understand that KTR is doing NIL the right and intended way.
Then why ask for donations? Just act as agents for the athletes and take commission?

Yeah right..that’s why their stadium is empty on Saturdays.
There is little interest in Stanford Football.
While Stanford is great academically in more than just science and engineering (many of their successful graduates were tech majors who did will at startups, Google etc.) quite a few STEM majors have no interest in college football or basketball. May be a significant majority. Also, today's college students seem less interested in those twenty or so years ago. Don't have any hard data, but just incidental discussion with my kids, the friends, and kids of friends, etc.
For whatever reason, Stanford is not a great draw. Except when they play Cal.

Any kid making a deal right out of high school should have a lawyer read their contract and advise them on the terms. What's wrong with dealing with lawyers?

One potential issue is what happens when a school makes a lucrative deal with a 4 star or 5 star athlete who turns out to be a bust? Should they lose their deal, or should there be a sliding scale for each year of play, number of snaps, or something like that to determine their pay?

Here's another wrinkle. In most states (including NJ), the terms of a contract cannot be enforced against a minor. Once the minor turns 18, the minor can affirm or repudiate the contract. So, if some 17 year old hot shot signs a deal with a first college, and then he gets better offers, he can simply repudiate the contract without penalty and take a better deal. He can do this multiple times until he turns 18. Fun stuff.

No. Then again, hundred-dollar-handshakes and car dealers “loaning” new cars to athletes weren’t tax deductible either.
yes but the regular guys who want to "donate" will ask this question--its important

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT