ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano

Don’t completely agree. Yes, the IF didnt actually happen but when 21-3 becomes 21-16 and one play away from punting again with the defense reeling… I wouldn’t call that smart coaching.

We won 35-16 against an ACC team whose probably not as bad as their record (seeing that Old Dominion just went toe to toe with Wake Forest). I also think Drones is going to give their offense more options than Wells going forward because of his mobility. Time will tell.

One thing I promise you though is Virginia Tech (injuries and all) is a better team than Nevada. Now I didn’t watch the Kansas game, but it appears your flavor of the moment coach found himself in a dogfight with them the whole way though. Doesn’t seem like stand out coaching to me - overlooking a team that just lost 33-6 to Idaho? And the other guys’ prize Schiano alternative just keeps losing (East Carolina). It’s too bad BC didn’t pull off the upset - you guys could’ve shifted back to Hafley. Lol

I point these things out to demonstrate how ridiculous you and the handful of other die hard “anyone but Schiano clearly better” group sound. Props to Marc and some of the others who weren’t crazy about the Schiano hire but at least accknowledge were moving in the right direction (even if GS can drive us all crazy with his conservatism at times). We knew that going in. Pros and cons to every coach. Only you (and one or 2 others) are so desperate to criticize our coach you focus on his damn clothes when you can come up with nothing else.

We won 35-16 against an ACC team whose probably not as bad as their record (seeing that Old Dominion just went toe to toe with Wake Forest). I also think Drones is going to give their offense more options than Wells going forward because of his mobility. Time will tell.

One thing I promise you though is Virginia Tech (injuries and all) is a better team than Nevada. Now U didn’t watch the Kansas game, but it appears your flavor of the month coach found himself in a dogfight with them the whole way though. Doesn’t seem like stand out coaching to me - overlooking a team that just lost 33-6 to Idaho? And the other guys’ prize Schiano alternative just keeps losing (East Carolina). It’s too bad BC didn’t pull off the upset - you guys could’ve shifted back to Hafley. Lol

I point these things out to demonstrate how ridiculous you and the handful of other die hard “anyone but Schiano clearly better” group sound. Props to Marc and some of the others who weren’t crazy about the Schiano hire but at least accknowledge were moving in the right direction (even if GS can drive us all crazy with his conservatism at times). We knew that going in. Pros and cons to every coach. Only you (and one or 2 others) are so desperate to criticize our coach you focus on his damn clothes when you can come up with nothing else.
You can do what you want, but please stop baitimg the troll. It's clear this is a game to him. I don't know why some of you bother.

You can do what you want, but please stop baitimg the troll. It's clear this is a game to him. I don't know why some of you bother.

Unfortunately - the internet is public and so idiotic fan posts are a part of our comprehensive social media image. I call them out for this reason as he’s not going to stop anyway and I see it better for the unwarranted negativity to be countered.

I guess it was worse when he did this with Caleb (campaigning on and on for him to go the bench) since Caleb is a kid. I personally just can’t stand to see the types of comments this guy posts thrown out there unaddressed.

Unfortunately - the internet is public and so idiotic fan posts are a part of our comprehensive social media image. I call them out for this reason as he’s not going to stop anyway and I see it better for the unwarranted negativity to be countered.

I guess it was worse when he did this with Caleb (campaigning on and on for him to go the bench) since Caleb is a kid. I personally just can’t stand to see the types of comments this guy posts thrown out there unaddressed.
I use to think the same thing but for the last two weeks I've had him on ignore and it makes my experience here more pleasent.

I use to think the same thing but for the last two weeks I've had him on ignore and it makes my experience here more pleasent.

I get that.

I can strip him personally out of the equation. IMO the important point to keep on radar with the coaching discussions is that comparative universe. We have a very tough road ahead and more likely that not there will be games we will struggle in.

Schiano is far from perfect, but I hope we stop hearing how we missed the boat with this one or that one unless it’s someone who has done more than fringe bowl qualification in a major conference. I actually don’t think there’s anyone left from the 2019 pool other than Leipold whose even eligible to fit that mold.

So you're actually saying if you had the choice of the two to coach at Rutgers that you would pick Schiano?

And you can't say it's all recruiting with him because in the NFL he went to three straight NFC championship games, including a SB appearance.

I’m saying I think Greg is the better coach. Harbaugh probably brings much more excitement, better recruits, tickets, etc based on name alone.

So far- I had hoped to win all three games. Many would say “expected”. I’m not sure how “expected” should have ever been a part of the equation before anyone even played a game.
I have also been in the camp that put this as a show me year for Greg.
So far- am I happy with 3rd Qtr’s and does it concern me, yes, it does.
But did I ever expect fast starts and how strong we finish, I didn’t expect that either.
I also did not expect 95-30 difference in scoring either against 2 P5 and 1 G5.
And, we may have had a couple minutes of worry the entire season so far and that is when VaTech brought it to 5 but we pretty quickly squashed that.
We are doing better than I expected and maybe better than hoped. I am excited for this next game rather than dreading it.

Fair. We will see next week if there are more plays in the book or if we’re one dimensional.

I was just looking at Michigan - they have beaten E Car/UNLV/BG by a combined 97-16
I would say that NWU/Temple/VaTech is a more difficult schedule and what are we -95-30

Some can knock our schedule but this sort of says we are playing like an elite at this time.

I was just looking at Michigan - they have beaten E Car/UNLV/BG by a combined 97-16
I would say that NWU/Temple/VaTech is a more difficult schedule and what are we -95-30

Some can knock our schedule but this sort of says we are playing like an elite at this time.
Only a good comparison if UM didn’t pull starters. I don’t know the answer to that.

Yeah, but 46 yards passing isn't gonna cut it down the road with our ridiculously difficult schedule.
GW has improved, but he still has an accuracy problem.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Guys, can we discuss something serious for a second?

We, as a fan base, need to make a decision. Exactly how tall should we make that statue honoring Greg Schiano?

• Haha
Reactions: RUDivision
This was definitely the funniest comment of 2023 🤣
To be fair, Harbaugh never led a team to a 3rd place BigEast finish after the 3 best teams left the conference. Edge: Schiano.

The NC almost but doesn’t quite tip the scale the other way. Greatness lives in Piscataway.

Reactions: mikemarc1
1st time in a longtime I feel like we finally have the staff to make this thing work. Yes, the pessimist in me finally has hope.
Yes. But we could still use some help from the portal at a few positions.

To be fair, Harbaugh never led a team to a 3rd place BigEast finish after the 3 best teams left the conference. Edge: Schiano.

The NC almost but doesn’t quite tip the scale the other way. Greatness lives in Piscataway.
To be fair, Harbaugh never had to build something from scratch like Schiano did here.

I am coming to the realization you need not just money, but over the top athletic department money to build over the top facilities for all sports to have a cache for the fan base who donate big, influential boosters with big money and cult like fan base to "succeed" in CFB. I know too many Michigan fans I care to know, and it looks like the formula. ...the rest are playing for fun.

Unlike Div 1AA, 2 or 3..where you hire good dudes, recruit, coach'em, get a few breaks, and win big once in a while.

but hey...once my kids get into high, and my weekends no longer are dominated by youth sports, I'll be showing back up on Saturdays to root. Win Rutgers win

Back to thread topic: I was detractor back in very late 2000s....but Schiano is our guy, the only guy for Rutgers football, right now.

I am coming to the realization you need not just money, but over the top athletic department money to build over the top facilities for all sports to have a cache for the fan base who donate big, influential boosters with big money and cult like fan base to "succeed" in CFB. I know too many Michigan fans I care to know, and it looks like the formula. ...the rest are playing for fun.

Unlike Div 1AA, 2 or 3..where you hire good dudes, recruit, coach'em, get a few breaks, and win big once in a while.

but hey...once my kids get into high, and my weekends no longer are dominated by youth sports, I'll be showing back up on Saturdays to root. Win Rutgers win

Back to thread topic: I was detractor back in very late 2000s....but Schiano is our guy, the only guy for Rutgers football, right now.
yes, been saying this for years. it's an arms race we, and most other schools can't compete in. so is it worth it for universities to spend on and drain tight resources (subsidy)? is it worth paying a coach $6M a year to only compete against other middling peers and beat Wagner ?

yes, been saying this for years. it's an arms race we, and most other schools can't compete in. so is it worth it for universities to spend on and drain tight resources (subsidy)? is it worth paying a coach $6M a year to only compete against other middling peers and beat Wagner ?

We didn’t just “compete” in most of the games we won. We beat 4 FBS teams by 3+ scores. The Miami game wasn’t as close as the final score either. Let’s see what happens next season. We’ve been consistently trending up in all aspects of the game except passing - you might not like Greg but you’d be a fool to deny the major improvements to the OL, D, and run game since he took over.

Did you attend Rutgers - because with each ensuing post you sound like a fan of another school who is trying to push the sentiment/narrative for RU to be out of any big time athletics. Further, for many like me, sports attaches alumnus to the school after graduation as well as an avenue for donation (and not only to athletics). It also is one of the various reasons (among others of course) that I have established a legacy with my son also attending Rutgers - being that he attended football games since 2-3 years old.

We didn’t just “compete” in most of the games we won. We beat 4 FBS teams by 3+ scores. The Miami game wasn’t as close as the final score either. Let’s see what happens next season. We’ve been consistently trending up in all aspects of the game except passing - you might not like Greg but you’d be a fool to deny the major improvements to the OL, D, and run game since he took over.
it's the arms race we can't compete in, as the other poster stated. we aren't vying for NCs, or even conference titles same as 90% of other FBS programs.

even if Schiano were the second coming of Vince Lombardi that wouldn't change the competitiveness equation.

what is our practical goal ?

it's the arms race we can't compete in, as the other poster stated. we aren't vying for NCs, or even conference titles same as 90% of other FBS programs.

even if Schiano were the second coming of Vince Lombardi that wouldn't change the competitiveness equation.

National Championship

Reactions: MozRU

Schiano was our guy back then and is again this go around . Fin@ncial support is very important this go around. Richie on his podcast mentioned that our LT from last year got 3x the going rate for OL which is $600k . So that player became a millionaire.

Reactions: MozRU

You mean us, as fans? Having fun. What’s your goal?

Reactions: TRU2RU and mdh2003

Exactly how many team national championships in all sports combined has Rutgers won since it first started competing in intercollegiate athletics?

What exactly is your purpose on these boards if you both seem to want RU to roll up shop and not compete in athletics.

PS....I'm waiting on an answer to my post regarding you and Rutgers affiliation.
alum and long time season ticket holder.

Insight, Texas, international and all Pinstripes.

The Cuse fan rhetoric is ridiculous, no allegiance or preference whatsoever to that team unless they are playing ND, Clemson or FSU.

No idea how that started.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT