ADVERTISEMENT

Scoring Droughts

Its fine.
We are prioritizing playing the better defensive players and a defensive style to keep games close.
We can't risk losing even a touch of defense to gain offense otherwise we might not be winning all these close games........

Its fine.
We are prioritizing playing the better defensive players and a defensive style to keep games close.
We can't risk losing even a touch of defense to gain offense otherwise we might not be winning all these close games........
I assume you’re being sarcastic? Losing by 18 by playing defensive players to keep it “close” is not exactly working .

During the midst of the next inevitable scoring drought we incur, I say we put in Chol.
He can chuck em up with the best of em !
One of his 25 footers is bound to eventually go in !
Of course putting in Chol may mean we never score again but at least it would be humorous !
If we’re going to suck, might as well have some laughs as we did during some of the lean years !

Its fine.
Not sure this is why our death droughts happen. It’s just that we are so offensively challenged and so easy to defend. Doesn’t matter who’s on the court really.

During the midst of the next inevitable scoring drought we incur, I say we put in Chol.
He can chuck em up with the best of em !
One of his 25 footers is bound to eventually go in !
Of course putting in Chol may mean we never score again but at least it would be humorous !
If we’re going to suck, might as well have some laughs as we did during some of the lean years !
On Wednesday we fans at the RAC should start chanting early and often
“WE WANT CHOL, WE WANT CHOL”
I know I will up in 305

Its fine.
You do know the real problem....there barely is any offense to gain by putting the "best" offense out there.

I don't even know who my best offensive 5 are.

The lack of scoring talent is known by fans and opposing coaches.The reason Indiana loss to Rutgers is that they were missing shots at a higher level which isn't their norm.The remaining question for the season is how many wins can Rutgers achieve while struggling to score ?

Yes, Pike’s leaving all those offensive juggernauts on the bench.

Not saying offensive juggernauts are sitting.
But we're losing badly with our defensive juggernauts.

I'd play Woolf/Ogbole, Chol, GG, Davis, Simpson, J Williams at this point.
What's going to happen? We lose by 20?

Clif, Oskar, A Williams, Hyatt, Noah are all gone (pushed out) next year.
Mag was halfway out the door last off season reportedly.
If he's returning then play him as well.

Not saying offensive juggernauts are sitting.
But we're losing badly with our defensive juggernauts.

I'd play Woolf/Ogbole, Chol, GG, Davis, Simpson, J Williams at this point.
What's going to happen? We lose by 20?

Clif, Oskar, A Williams, Hyatt, Noah are all gone (pushed out) next year.
Mag was halfway out the door last off season reportedly.
If he's returning then play him as well.
If we commit to playing 30 minutes.....our best offensive lineup would probably end up being.....
Fernandes
Gavin
hyatt
Mag
Cliff

Right now our best offensive lineup could be
Simpson
A Williams
Hyatt
Mag
Cliff

its very obvious the players are not committed to working hard in ways that other Pike teams overacheived. You see it mostly on the offensive end but its there defensively and I still cannot believe peeps were saying we have been playing elite defense this year. I do not care what some stats say. The eyes tell.

Reactions: biazza38 and Scangg
I would like Chol to get wolfs minutes if HC can convince him to just roam along the baseline and foul line area, , rebound, and make layups.
Wouldn't hate it. Everyone is is stinking and getting a chance

The problem for Chol is Hyatt and Mag are playing the best on the team and Pike trusts Oskar over him. Chol is best suited for the 4 which I guess is our deepest position?

its very obvious the players are not committed to working hard in ways that other Pike teams overacheived. You see it mostly on the offensive end but its there defensively and I still cannot believe peeps were saying we have been playing elite defense this year. I do not care what some stats say. The eyes tell.
I don’t know if you’ve heard but for adjusted efficiency, we’re ranked in the top 20 lololololol. Someone said that to me and I just rolled my eyes

I don’t know if you’ve heard but for adjusted efficiency, we’re ranked in the top 20 lololololol. Someone said that to me and I just rolled my eyes
Sure, we don’t give up points but you guys can just FEEL the bad defense.

Sure, we don’t give up points but you guys can just FEEL the bad defense.
Yes, yes we do?
Have you watched our games against teams that have a pulse. Did you see MSU with their second chance 3 pointers because we lack size and strength when rebounding

Yes, yes we do?
Have you watched our games against teams that have a pulse. Did you see MSU with their second chance 3 pointers because we lack size and strength when rebounding
I saw MSU bury a bunch of second chance threes off of desperate scrambles that luckily (for them) ended up with the ball in their hands. But that’s not really relevant; sometimes we get lucky too. Your argument basically comes down to looking at the bad games only and then waving your hands. That’s not how it works. You don’t become a top 10 defense statistically by accident.

I saw MSU bury a bunch of second chance threes off of desperate scrambles that luckily (for them) ended up with the ball in their hands. But that’s not really relevant; sometimes we get lucky too. Your argument basically comes down to looking at the bad games only and then waving your hands. That’s not how it works. You don’t become a top 10 defense statistically by accident.
lucky 3 pointers?!?
Explain all of the offensive rebounds we’ve given up all year.
My argument doesn’t come down to looking at bad games. It’s the fact that almost every time we play someone with a pulse, we get clobbered on the glass. Those weren’t lucky three pointers by MSU. Those were second chance points, which has clearly been a trend. Yeah, we played well against SHU, GTown, and Indiana. But more often than not, we get outplayed. I really want to know what games you’ve been watching
For the love of god, we outrebounded Stonehill by two

In Big Ten play, teams are hitting 41.8% of their threes against us. They're hitting 25.9% of their threes against Iowa. Do you think Iowa has better three point defense than us, or do you think there is a large luck component involved?

lucky 3 pointers?!?
My argument doesn’t come down to looking at bad games. It’s the fact that almost every time we play someone with a pulse, we get clobbered on the glass. Those weren’t lucky three pointers by MSU. Those were second chance points, which has clearly been a trend. Yeah, we played well against SHU, GTown, and Indiana. But more often than not, we get outplayed. I really want to know what games you’ve been watching
To be clear, I said the rebounds were lucky, not the making of the shots, but yes when five people dive on the floor, knock the ball around, and it rolls to your team for a wide open three point attempt that is good luck.

We were atrocious at rebounding earlier in the year and have improved a lot. But even with all that atrocious rebounding we are STILL a top 10 defense which, again, does not happen by accident.

Our defensive rebounding against MSU wasn’t even bad, they rebounded 25% of their own misses and the D1 average is 29.4%

lucky 3 pointers?!?
Yeah the most blatant was the rebound where we had two guys sitting there and neither guy went for the ball(or of course boxed out) and the MSU guy came right in and got the rebound and passed out for the three; the other 2 we also had the ball and lost them in scrambles

Reactions: biazza38
To be clear, I said the rebounds were lucky, not the making of the shots, but yes when five people dive on the floor, knock the ball around, and it rolls to your team for a wide open three point attempt that is good luck.

We were atrocious at rebounding earlier in the year and have improved a lot. But even with all that atrocious rebounding we are STILL a top 10 defense which, again, does not happen by accident.

Our defensive rebounding against MSU wasn’t even bad, they rebounded 25% of their own misses and the D1 average is 29.4%
Show me the link that says we’re a “top 10” defense. Also, how does that take into account our dog crap OOC schedule? Anyone with eyes can tell you, we’re not a top 10 defense. It’s laughable to think that.
We have 1 guard with size and opponents are draining 3’s in conference play against us

Reactions: BigEastPhil
We’re also just not that big.
Guards are exceedingly small.
Woolfolk went from a big Wes Unseld bruiser, not his fault, to an in shape 3/4 rather than a borderline 5.
We also miss Paul’s height.

Show me the link that we’re a “top 10” defense. Also, how does that take into account our dog crap OOC schedule? Anyone with eyes can tell you, we’re not a top 10 defense. It’s laughable to think that.
We have 1 guard with size and opponents are draining 3’s in conference play against us
Ken Pom and Bart beg to differ.
It’s our offense that is the problem.
Only reason we are still in games is stellar D.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Show me the link that says we’re a “top 10” defense. Also, how does that take into account our dog crap OOC schedule? Anyone with eyes can tell you, we’re not a top 10 defense. It’s laughable to think that.
Lookup Kenpom and Bart. They adjust for schedule (btw our current SOS is good). If you don’t know what those things are, I can’t help you, and I’m not going to go too deeply into math lessons with you since you seem to be disinterested in using statistics.

This is sort of the mirror image of the people who are arguing that the offense isn’t bad. You can use all the words you want, the objective reality is that the offense has been horrible and the defense has been quite good.

Defensively,
TRank has us 92.4 6th
Ken Pom has us 93.0 8th

2pt FG defense 43.3%, 15th/362
Block% 15.9%, 6th
Forced TO% 22.1%, 17th
EFG% defense 45.4%, 25th

They each have slight variances in their statistical formula, but both place us in the top 10.

Our biggest problem is executing the offense and root cause of our droughts, Ken Pom has us ranked 255th, 101.4, and TRank has us 293rd, 99.3. That tends to happen with one guard returning for his sophomore year, 34 games, 684 minutes as mostly our 3rd(4th if you include Caleb) guard in 22-23, and three new guards to our program, a freshman and 2 grad transfer who have never played in our offense.

On Offense,
EFG% 44.1, 348th/362
3pt% 29.2%, 329th
2pt% 44.3, 344th
FT% 66.5, 312th

Most of our struggles and droughts on offense are guard related and guards not executing the offense the way it should be due to inexperience of running it.

Lookup Kenpom and Bart. They adjust for schedule (btw our current SOS is good). If you don’t know what those things are, I can’t help you, and I’m not going to go too deeply into math lessons with you since you seem to be disinterested in using statistics.

This is sort of the mirror image of the people who are arguing that the offense isn’t bad. You can use all the words you want, the objective reality is that the offense has been horrible and the defense has been quite good.
Oh please, Kenpom is trash
Our defense is okay.
We played well defensively against Indiana and Seton Hall. Then one half against MSU, OSU, and Miss State. Other than that, teams with a pulse have had their way. Little to no resistance against quality opponents

Oh please, Kenpom is trash
Our defense is okay.
We played well defensively against Indiana and Seton Hall. Then one half against MSU, OSU, and Miss State. Other than that, teams with a pulse have had their way. Little to no resistance against quality opponents
Right okay. You are beyond help.

Right okay. You are beyond help.
I’m beyond help?!?!
How can you possibly watch the games against Illinois, Wake Forest, Princeton, Iowa, Miss state, MSU, and even the first half of OSU and possibly think we have a top 10 defense. Just because some stupid arbitrary stat says so doesn’t make it true. Open up your eyes and do some critical thinking of your own.

I’m beyond help?!?!
How can you possibly watch the games against Illinois, Wake Forest, Princeton, Iowa, Miss state, MSU, and even the first half of OSU and possibly think we have a top 10 defense. Just because some stupid arbitrary stat says so doesn’t make it true. Open up your eyes and do some critical thinking of your own.
Yes, you are beyond help.

The Rutgers team is flawed on both ends of the court.On defense the small guards have difficulty against taller league opponents.The team commits too many fouls that aren't shot related.Poor positioning for rebounds has resulted in opponents getting additional shots.On offense the roster lacks players that can create and make shots off the dribble. The half court offense is poorly run by any objective standard from high school on up.Its not surprising wins have been hard to achieve against power conference teams.As fans we have to hope for some surprise wins while looking forward to next season where there will be some really talented players on the court.

Well it sounds like J Will is returning soon so our defense, in theory, should be even better

Points allowed against teams with a “pulse” :

Princeton - 68
Georgetown- 60
Illinois - 76
Wake - 76
Seton Hall -63
Miss State -70
Ohio State - 76
Iowa -86
Indiana - 57
Michigan State - 73

ADVERTISEMENT