ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers famous two way scoring droughts.

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
Since 2018 with Doorson, Carter and Eugene.
Rutgers has been famous for 5 to even 7 minute scoring droughts from both teams.
Countless times I remember us completely overwhelming our opponent defensively for long stretches only to score only a handful of points ourselves.
In the moment we all found it frustrating but now realize how incredible defense has always been our identity, especially at home.
This team even if it improves offensively can not do that, this team cannot play defense or rebound and there’s not a thing in the world Pike can do about it…imo
Two way scoring droughts for us will be a thing of the past this year against B1G competition.

Last edited:
Unless they all turn a switch and become tough hard nosed rebounders we will not defend well enough to win.

Reactions: zappaa
Unless they all turn a switch and become tough hard nosed rebounders we will not defend well enough to win.
We won’t win a B1G conference game this year because our guys get hot one night and shoot lights out.
If we do win a conference game, it will be because on that day or night we played tough D and rebounded well.
I don’t think the make up of our team will allow it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bethlehemfan
A healthy Mag and Ogbole would help the rebounding and D a lot. When will they be healthy is the question.
Mag is cleared. He’s probably decided against playing. IMHO? He might take a redshirt and transfer

Don’t know why you added the transfer part??
Why is anyone mentioning Ogbole?
Is there defensive prowess to his game?
If so I haven’t heard about it?
I’m afraid of the same thing with Mag. He knows his stock has risen and will listen to aLL offers. Don’t like it but oh well.

Why wouldn't Mag want to play with Dylan and Ace? And keep in mind, he's not an American so his NIL situation is like Cliff's.

@zappaa I finally saw your dad's documentary. Fantastic job by you, my friend. That story you told when your dad and your brother's sat you down...man I don't know how you were able to keep your composure talking about that. I was bawling my eyes out, lol.

Don’t know why you added the transfer part??
Why is anyone mentioning Ogbole?
Is there defensive prowess to his game?
If so I haven’t heard about it?
Ogbole wasn't brought in to score. He's a defense, rebounding, rim protecting asset who is extremely raw offensively outside of dunks. Basically a more muscular less explosive Cliff

Reactions: seneca ave
We won’t win a B1G conference game this year because our guys get hot one night and shoot lights out.
If we do win a conference game, it will be because on that day or night we played tough D and rebounded well.
I don’t think the make up of our team will allow it.
You’re predicting 0-20 in conference? Or am I misunderstanding?

I think we can win either of those ways. I don’t think this roster is an offensive powerhouse, but I think it is also ice cold and will not look so completely hopeless all the time. I think, rebounding aside, we already play good defense. I think rebounding will improve but probably not enough to become good, just less bad.

I’m not saying this team is great or I have high hopes for the postseason, but I don’t think it will turn out to be as bad as it looks so far. We may be towards the bottom end of the B1G but I think it’s unlikely we have some terrible record like 3-17.

Reactions: Scangg
Jesus, pretty bleak forecast. If we continue to lose, my guess is that you may well see some players simply quitting. Does sports have "quiet quitting"?

Jesus, pretty bleak forecast. If we continue to lose, my guess is that you may well see some players simply quitting. Does sports have "quiet quitting"?
No you won’t. Not in the NIL era. It’ll be all about making a case for next season.

I think we can win either of those ways. I don’t think this roster is an offensive powerhouse, but I think it is also ice cold and will not look so completely hopeless all the time. I think, rebounding aside, we already play good defense. I think rebounding will improve but probably not enough to become good, just less bad.

I’m not saying this team is great or I have high hopes for the postseason, but I don’t think it will turn out to be as bad as it looks so far. We may be towards the bottom end of the B1G but I think it’s unlikely we have some terrible record like 3-17.

I said we won’t win one “unless”
We rebound and play defense.
We are not winning one with all out offensive barrage.
Just my opinion

Reactions: fluoxetine
I said we won’t win one “unless”
We rebound and play defense.
We are not winning one with all out offensive barrage.
Just my opinion

I think the defense, based on all of the metrics (and obviously the eye-test, has been pretty good. It's not 2nd or 3rd in all of CBB like it has been for various stretches of games like last year, but fans acting as if the defense has been bad, doesn't watch much CBB beyond RU.

I watched Iowa twice this week at Purdue and at Iowa State and approximately 90 points put up vs Iowa. If I watched Iowa full time as a program or fan, I'd be siding with a good amount of their fan base that wants McCaffrey out of there......and they're probably the same Iowa fans that wanted to get rid of their OC for Football, Brian Ferentz. Because the Iowa offense is so terrible.

I think the goal HAS to be to sacrifice "some" defense, to improve on offense. You have to be able to matchup against more styles of play. It is fine with me to sacrifice some defense, to get real talent and skill into the program. Fans are going to struggle this year, because the evolution isn't going to be what they're spoiled or used to seeing.....but it's ultimately, the only way to improve.

Reactions: Cosalo7974
It's December 8th, I think the team will improve during the season. Now I'm going to watch Hoosiers for about the thirtieth time. Go RU!

As GRF pointed out on another thread, we play great defense until the first shot goes up, then we give up too many ORebs and second chance points. If Pike can get all five guys boxing out and crashing the boards on D, we could fix that problem immediately.

As GRF pointed out on another thread, we play great defense until the first shot goes up, then we give up too many ORebs and second chance points. If Pike can get all five guys boxing out and crashing the boards on D, we could fix that problem immediately.
Team rebounding please. Leaking out by guards isn't leading to offense. Everyone can't assume Cliff will grab every board

Reactions: BillyC80
We had very good rebounding guards with size in our last few years…they made it a thing to grab a board.
Our current guards want to just run and they are already hitting the wings for fast break before the ball is actually rebounded.
Also the last two teams have figured out how to break down our half court offense because we rely on man to man so stretch us out and take cliff out of the paint. Very simple!
We are NOY built for man to man this year. It’s a by our 2:2:1 zone press works effectively because we have speed.
If Pike took off his blinders and put us in a zone on defense it would change up our entire Image and not allow the gaps we are seeing bc we have lazy defenders 1:1. Lock cliff into the paint for rebounds/blocks. Not that hard here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT