ADVERTISEMENT

Season comes down to this:

and you state that as if we're a top 30 team who just lost to a 120... we're probably a mid 80 team now that just lost to a mid 70 team in close game where there were tons of opportunities to win and lose. Last week we overachieved, this week we sucked and it cost us big time.
EMU had the 10th ranked recruiting class in the MAC in 2016. Average rating of 1.63 stars.

No way do they have as much talent as us.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
yeah i guess kill sucks too. You guys will fire anybody who loses a single game. its insane
Know they won't be or should be fired, but need to be held accountable for making Eastern Michigan's D play like the Michigan Wolverines against mid majors. Time to wonder if they're overrated as HC & OC.
Ash never held a HC position before and was Kill a good offensive minded HC or did he have good OCs under him that made it easier for him to succeed as a HC.
Time will tell because Ash will be back no matter what. Kill might be sacrificed ( if the O doesn't improve) because someone must take the fall if the offense becomes more of a liability than asset .
Hopefully Kill can get the O working and look far better than it looked today,
or we'll be looking at another long season.

This loss shouldn't be placed on the players or lack of offensive talent , but on the way the plays were called.
14 points against Washington was looked at like a good game, that shows how low the bar is set and this game has some lowering it even more looking for ways to excuse losing to a program Rutgers should beat when just talent is compared.

Know they won't be or should be fired, but need to be held accountable for making Eastern Michigan's D play like the Michigan Wolverines against mid majors. Time to wonder if they're overrated as HC & OC.
Ash never held a HC position before and was Kill a good offensive minded HC or did he have good OCs under him that made it easier for him to succeed as a HC.
Time will tell because Ash will be back no matter what. Kill might be sacrificed ( if the O doesn't improve) because someone must take the fall if the offense becomes more of a liability than asset .

This loss shouldn't be placed on the players or lack of offensive talent , but on the way the plays were called.
14 points against Washington was looked at like a good game, that shows how low the bar is set and this game has some lowering it even more looking for ways to excuse losing to a program Rutgers should beat when just talent is compared.
I wonder if 10 years of 10 different OCs has something to do with our players often looking clueless.... Sometimes you need consistency. The loss needs to be and will be owned by the coaches, but at the end of the day that doesn't really matter. An L is an L.

Hate to break it to you but these agencies all suck... beside the can't miss 5 star prospects the rest is all a crap shoot. Those same guys had rocket as a 4* back,
Check the top 20 on that list. some pretty good teams up there. Some good coaches too.

Hate to break it to you but these agencies all suck... beside the can't miss 5 star prospects the rest is all a crap shoot. Those same guys had rocket as a 4* back,
the odds of having a good program are much better with so called better talent
recruited and signed then having a roster filled with under the radar types with so called potential.
You can point out the Boise St program as an under the radar winner, but go down the list of constant top 25 programs and the thing that stands out is: every year they bring in far more top talent than under the radar types.
You can point out Rocket as a failure and Paul James as an under the radar winner, but in the majority of cases when comparing 4 star to 2 star, you'll find the program that signs more for star along with 3 star players will be considered better than a program loaded with 2 and 3 star recruits.
Maybe that's why we make a big deal out of a 4 star committing to Rutgers and claim stars don't matter when they don't.

Reactions: RUJMM78
If your a Rutgers fan, you should be pretty bent right now. Apathy is not a good characteristic in a fan base.
after years of losing and or being let down, apathy sets in and excuses why we're losing get easier.
Expectations become lower, I remember the low expectations held for RU FB years ago and that seems to be coming back.

I'll see how this plays out, but if Rutgers wins 2 or less games, I'm not sure I want Ash back.

But if Ash is back, Kill comes back with him. I do want a back to back OC for the first time in over a decade. And I don't want to give Ash another scapegoat.

after years of losing and or being let down, apathy sets in and excuses why we're losing get easier.
Expectations become lower, I remember the low expectations held for RU FB years ago and that seems to be coming back.
Ya, but in week 2? Trust me if we go 2-10 again, I'll be so apathetic vs MSU you won't even know I exist.

But today was a legit moment to have some hope, and tonight is a legit moment to be all sorts of peeved.

Look folks. We are going 1-11, maybe 2-10 this year. It will not be pretty. If you are prone to nausea may want to stay away from watching next few months and look forward to Midnight Madness. This team has a roster full of kids that do not know how to win. Ash gets 2 more years to start showing improvement, beginning with going 4-8, maybe 5-7 next year. If still at 2-10 next year, then the roster overhaul argument starts to be bullsheet and seat warms in year 4.

Look folks. We are going 1-11, maybe 2-10. It will not be pretty. This team has a roster full of kids that do not know how to win. Ash gets 2 more years to start showing improvement, beginning with going 4-8, maybe 5-7 next year. If still at 2-10 next year, then the roster overhaul argument starts to be bullsheet and seat warms in year 4.
no way. If he is 6-30 after 3 years, he is gone. He might be gone after 1-11 this year.

But call me crazy, I'm still hoping we can get our act together this year.

Reactions: BlockR
Look folks. We are going 1-11, maybe 2-10. It will not be pretty. This team has a roster full of kids that do not know how to win. Ash gets 2 more years to start showing improvement, beginning with going 4-8, maybe 5-7 next year. If still at 2-10 next year, then the roster overhaul argument starts to be bullsheet and seat warms in year 4.
no way. If he is 6-30 after 3 years, he is gone. He might be gone after 1-11 this year.

But call me crazy, I'm still hoping we can get our act together this year.
No chance. I think he gets at least 4 and maybe even 5. Hobbs is willing to be patient on this one. It is his first signature hire. However, most wins we may see by year 5 is 6 or 7 based on current trajectory of development.

Ash isnt getting fired but he better get to 3-9 or realistically he has no shot
What makes you think he wants a shot? He may want out of this more than us. Just saying, if he can't get the resources from the Institution to hire top notch assistants or recruit elite athletes he may be second guessing being here himself.

I don't understand this notion. Your team is way better/more competitive this year than last. There will be several victories, I think...
No there won't. They'll be one next week and that's it. Then we'll get the speech from coach, that we're close, real close. Close to what I'm not exactly sure about, but we're close to something in his mind.

oh come on.... dude coached a D to a natty title. Meyer doesn't let scrubs hang around. You are just being a little B if you keep hanging this on coaching. Its the players..we need better players, and we need more money to get them. Thats all this is.
Lol.....guess u sleep through his games now. He was cohead fyi, 6 gigs with nothing big to show prior. a monkey could coach osu d while he was there. almost all went nfl

and you state that as if we're a top 30 team who just lost to a 120... we're probably a mid 80 team now that just lost to a mid 70 team in close game where there were tons of opportunities to win and lose. Last week we overachieved, this week we sucked and it cost us big time.
U just contradicted your argument

U must be young

It's never as good or as bad as you all think. The idea that this is on coaching is false... ash and kill haven't forgotten how to coach. Were just not as good. I watch other games and I see athletes that can pull away and standout... we don't seem to have anybody worth a damn that can do that on offense.
Your comments are contrary to fans that continue to say Rutgers has talent and recruiting is on the right track.With that viewpoint the future is really bleak because game action says otherwise.

That's right. We were doing just fine until Kill called that interception. Smh.

Ash isnt getting fired but he better get to 3-9 or realistically he has no shot
other then money restrictions,why couldnt/shouldnt Ash be fired at seasons end if he puts up one or two wins? Kill could do a better job as 'placeholder' untill B10 money is available to hire a real head coach.

U just contradicted your argument

U must be young
how am i contradicting my arguement? We need better players...fact. After wk 1 the team overachieved and all of a sudden everyone thinks we're maybe a mid 40s team. Our appetites grew quickly for a bowl season.... wk 2 team sucked, was flat and underachieved. Could coaches do better? Sure, i guess you can say that about any staff after a loss.Are coaches responsible and need to be accountable, Yes. But would a different coaching staff come in and magically fix things? NO... thats my point. Its time for some continuity, 10 OCs in 10 years has to cost you.

other then money restrictions,why couldnt/shouldnt Ash be fired at seasons end if he puts up one or two wins? Kill could do a better job as 'placeholder' untill B10 money is available to hire a real head coach.
Money is the biggest reason...i think any HC needs 4 years. Even Flood got that, Ash hasn't been worse than Flood considering we've run a clean program since. Next year is when the seat will start to get hot.

how am i contradicting my arguement? We need better players...fact. After wk 1 the team overachieved and all of a sudden everyone thinks we're maybe a mid 40s team. Our appetites grew quickly for a bowl season.... wk 2 team sucked, was flat and underachieved. Could coaches do better? Sure, i guess you can say that about any staff after a loss.Are coaches responsible and need to be accountable, Yes. But would a different coaching staff come in and magically fix things? NO... thats my point. Its time for some continuity, 10 OCs in 10 years has to cost you.
Certainly you would admit that certain coaches could come in here and at least beat EMU.

At the very least college level coaches need to make sure a team does not come out flat and underachieve. A team desperate for a win can not come out thinking they already had the game won, which I think played into it.

Money is the biggest reason...i think any HC needs 4 years. Even Flood got that, Ash hasn't been worse than Flood considering we've run a clean program since. Next year is when the seat will start to get hot.
Flood won 8 games in his 3rd year. Beat Michigan. Won a bowl game.

Certainly you would admit that certain coaches could come in here and at least beat EMU.

At the very least college level coaches need to make sure a team does not come out flat and underachieve. A team desperate for a win can not come out thinking they already had the game won, which I think played into it.
i won't change your mind, but your logic is flawed. If the world worked the way you think, there wouldn't be any upsets ever. How can you on week 1 be excited and root for the upset and in week 2 think this way? What about all those great upset wins RU had under schiano? What about all the heartbreaks under schiano? Shit happens when you deal with 18-22 year olds. The staff is pissed, i promise you that but they need to get back to work and continue to make everyone better. There will be other good moments, there will also be more bad moments. This is life....and football

i won't change your mind, but your logic is flawed. If the world worked the way you think, there wouldn't be any upsets ever. How can you on week 1 be excited and root for the upset and in week 2 think this way? What about all those great upset wins RU had under schiano? What about all the heartbreaks under schiano? Shit happens when you deal with 18-22 year olds. The staff is pissed, i promise you that but they need to get back to work and continue to make everyone better. There will be other good moments, there will also be more bad moments. This is life....and football
Coaching is huge in football. I'll assume you don't want to argue against that.

You want to put yesterday on the players. And I'm not saying they are not open for criticism. But no way do I let coach off the hook. He takes the brunt of the criticism imo. He unlike the players is making a couple million $$$'s this year.

Elmer Flood lived off Schianos recruits. He caused alot of the mess you see today,including who knows what we will still get handed down from NCAA.

do you forget that he went 4-8 1-7 his last year? The cream of that crop from Schiano supported him. Come on
But you were saying "even Flood got 4 years". Flood on the field was way more successful then Ash has been.

Ash may not get to 4 wins total in his first 2 seasons on the job. 4-8 would viewed as a major success at this point.

Coaching is huge in football. I'll assume you don't want to argue against that.

You want to put yesterday on the players. And I'm not saying they are not open for criticism. But no way do I let coach off the hook. He takes the brunt of the criticism imo. He unlike the players is making a couple million $$$'s this year.
Thats fine, i'm not saying Ash isn't accountable for the LOSS, but at the end of the day none of that really matters. We lost, its done, its over. Now they focus on next week. I'm just saying i'm not firing the guy in year 2. Year 3 seat gets hot, Year 4 results must be delivered for a contract extension. Year 5 the money comes and we can look at new solutions if needed.

But you were saying "even Flood got 4 years". Flood on the field was way more successful then Ash has been.

Ash may not get to 4 wins total in his first 2 seasons on the job. 4-8 would viewed as a major success at this point.
COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAC- need i remind you about year 2 where he shit the bed? Or Year 1 Where we should have easily been AAC champs. Yes year 3 was decent, but even with that team 3-5 in the BIG... year 4? 1-7.. Flood would have had the same exact results last year

COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAC- need i remind you about year 2 where he shit the bed? Or Year 1 Where we should have easily been AAC champs. Yes year 3 was decent, but even with that team 3-5 in the BIG... year 4? 1-7.. Flood would have had the same exact results last year
I hate Flood, I don't think he's a good coach, and he clearly ran a horrible program. Yet his results were way better then Ash's have been. 3-5 in the B1G? How many years away are we from Ash reaching that win total? We were 0-8 last year.

No need to renew tickets next year. You can pick and choose big teams, don't have to pay seat fee and parking fees.

Thats fine, i'm not saying Ash isn't accountable for the LOSS, but at the end of the day none of that really matters. We lost, its done, its over. Now they focus on next week. I'm just saying i'm not firing the guy in year 2. Year 3 seat gets hot, Year 4 results must be delivered for a contract extension. Year 5 the money comes and we can look at new solutions if needed.
You said it was on the players. And if it doesn't matter then why post anything? Just roll with the "who care's?" mentality and enjoy the beautiful day. In a couple weeks I might be right there with you.

LOL at posters who give the 'wait till five years' till we have money to hire a real Coach. Can you even think that RU can continue at this level of play for five years? what will it be 10 wins in five years then for Ash?
Come on..that almost comical.The B10 would throw Rutgers out of league.

RU cannot wait 5 years. That is absurdity.

Season tix were down 24%. What is the stadium going to look like after 0-2 win campaign this year?

Ash should get no more than three years and frankly 1 or 0 wins this year he should be canned. Colorado canned Embrey after 2 years and it worked quite well for them.

Win a single Big Ten game. Doesn't matter which one. Just one. Otherwise, Ash will be nothing but a placeholder for the next guy. Won't be a question of if but when.

Onward.

This is a rebuild and I think most people felt year 2 was going to be worse than year 1. People on these boards get unrealistic with expectations - reality is this will take time. Team is not in a great spot today but Hopefully we are moving in the right direction.

Reactions: theRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT