ADVERTISEMENT

"One possession" games this season

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
Apologies if any of this has already been said, but I have been working and haven't had time to read the board after today's gut wrenching loss.

We have now played 7 games that were decided by 3 points or fewer, and in those games we are now 3-4.

The three wins were Lehigh (73-70), Purdue (70-68), and Iowa (48-46) -- all of which were at home.

The four losses were DePaul (70-73), Lafayette (51-53), UMass (83-85), and Minnesota (65-68) -- three of which were on the road and one of which was at home, and these four losses were all to teams that I would consider to be inferior to Rutgers (in Minny's case, I think they're about even with us all other things being equal, but TODAY I considered them the inferior opponent since they were missing their leading and third-leading scorers).

The margin for error with this team is razor thin, and -- the Lafayette debacle aside -- the difference often comes down to being at home vs. being on the road. We have average talent, and we get a HUGE boost from our home environment that we don't get on the road.

Not an "excuse" but just an explanation. But, yeah, we just can't lose to a Minnesota team that was without two of its top scorers and that basically played five guys the entire game (the two reserves only played 3 minutes apiece). This was a HUMONGOUS missed opportunity for a road win.

Apologies if any of this has already been said, but I have been working and haven't had time to read the board after today's gut wrenching loss.

We have now played 7 games that were decided by 3 points or fewer, and in those games we are now 3-4.

The three wins were Lehigh (73-70), Purdue (70-68), and Iowa (48-46) -- all of which were at home.

The four losses were DePaul (70-73), Lafayette (51-53), UMass (83-85), and Minnesota (65-68) -- three of which were on the road and one of which was at home, and these four losses were all to teams that I would consider to be inferior to Rutgers (in Minny's case, I think they're about even with us all other things being equal, but TODAY I considered them the inferior opponent since they were missing their leading and third-leading scorers).

The margin for error with this team is razor thin, and -- the Lafayette debacle aside -- the difference often comes down to being at home vs. being on the road. We have average talent, and we get a HUGE boost from our home environment that we don't get on the road.

Not an "excuse" but just an explanation. But, yeah, we just can't lose to a Minnesota team that was without two of its top scorers and that basically played five guys the entire game (the two reserves only played 3 minutes apiece). This was a HUMONGOUS missed opportunity for a road win.
We can’t generate our own energy on the road and haven’t been able to for years. Our fans energize the team. Pike needs to figure out how to solve it.

Reactions: Scangg
If we were 6-1/7-0 or 1-6/0-7 then one score games would be a topic warranting a lot more discussion. Not much to see here.

We can’t generate our own energy on the road and haven’t been able to for years. Our fans energize the team. Pike needs to figure out how to solve it.
Maybe we need to travel more

If we were 6-1/7-0 or 1-6/0-7 then one score games would be a topic warranting a lot more discussion. Not much to see here.
You missed the big point that — Lafayette aside (that’s just an inexplicable game) — we win the one score games at home and lose them on the road. I find that very relevant.

Also, we can do without the “not much to see here” snark. Was that really necessary to say?

Reactions: bitnez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT