ADVERTISEMENT

SEC to count BYU, Army as P5 games.

Notre Dame also but no one will schedule them as they would expect a home and home and the SEC does not go on the road OC, and forget about going north on top of that.

Originally posted by ru109:

Notre Dame also but no one will schedule them as they would expect a home and home and the SEC does not go on the road OC, and forget about going north on top of that.

Not necessarily, if Notre Dame's home game is part of the Shamrock Series.

Army qualifying as a p5 team makes me think that before too long citadel and furman will also count.

that's just silly. BYU is understandable, but Army would lose to a lot of FCS teams.

Good for Army as it means they don't have to worry about having a weak schedule anymore.

Rutgers this season will play two real P5 schools and Army in their OOC.

Does Army really need 'paycheck' games? I thought they relied on Federal funding? (aka tax dollars). If Navy is in the AAC , so should Army, if they so desire.

UGA just entered into a home and home with ND. Tennessee has in the past as has LSU.

Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:
Good for Army as it means they don't have to worry about having a weak schedule anymore.
Actually, Army wants weak/weaker schedules...hence why they bolted from CUSA a decade ago as their sole goal is to find 6 wins per year somewhere...anywhere...so they can go bowling.

Army has had just 1 winning season out of the last 18 years.

Its funny to see certain P5 conf try to make themselves look better (SEC says Army game will count but not a game vs NAVY since Navy is a member of the AAC)...which is exactly what Geno Auriemma noted at a community roundtable on Tuesday...

"They do a very good job of trying to screw anybody who's not in those Power Five conferences," Auriemma said. "They're really good at it. And they're very successful at it because that's one way to make yourself look even better than you are, is make everybody else look like they suck - and they are very, very good at that."

Originally posted by Scarlet16E:
The SEC may count Army as a Power 5 team, but the playoff committee won't be fooled.
But other P5 conf will do the same (i.e. ACC), and with a huge majority of the Playoff Committee made up of P5 "connected" members, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, some team will get a "boost" for playing Army in non-schedule while others that play Boise State et al, won't.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

The SEC may count Army as a Power 5 team, but the playoff committee won't be fooled.
But other P5 conf will do the same (i.e. ACC), and with a huge majority of the Playoff Committee made up of P5 "connected" members, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, some team will get a "boost" for playing Army in non-schedule while others that play Boise State et al, won't.
ACC doesn't count Army as a P5 conference team.

Originally posted by Ty Webb:

As in future...remember, ACC was the first conf to count BYU as a P5 team (even though same team lost to 2 AAC teams last year), plus, ACC doesn't mind its own members that play not just one, but TWO Div I-AA games per year....plus, are now allowing conf members to play NON-CONF games during specific years.

ACC is doing everything they can to make their football conf "look better" from total wins (vs nobodies) and/or puff up teams when they don't deserve it.

SEC did not make this decision in a vacuum, as most conf seem to follow suit.

As in future...remember, ACC was the first conf to count BYU as a P5 team (even though same team lost to 2 AAC teams last year), plus, ACC doesn't mind its own members that play not just one, but TWO Div I-AA games per year....plus, are now allowing conf members to play NON-CONF games during specific years.

ACC is doing everything they can to make their football conf "look better" from total wins (vs nobodies) and/or puff up teams when they don't deserve it.

SEC did not make this decision in a vacuum, as most conf seem to follow suit.
BYU being seen as a P5 team is a no brainer. The fact the ACC did it first was one of the few smart things they've done.

Just because they view BYU as a P5 team doesn't mean they will now add Army.

It's hard for a Rutgers fan to swallow, but ND wouldn't play at Rutgers because they consider us to be FCS or possibly MAC. They've shown that they will schedule home and home with other schools, most recently UGA. And they'll go to a place as small as BCU.

Originally posted by RUSK97:
It's hard for a Rutgers fan to swallow, but ND wouldn't play at Rutgers because they consider us to be FCS or possibly MAC. They've shown that they will schedule home and home with other schools, most recently UGA. And they'll go to a place as small as BCU.
And RU had the right to tell ND to pound sand when ND made that request. Frankly, I don't see an issue with ND requesting what they did and RU telling them to go jump in a lake.

"Army would lose to a lot of FCS teams."

They lost to Yale last year, IIRC.

I would rather that neither count as a P5 team. BYU made its choice so let it live with it. They can schedule more Friday night home games against Idaho, Idaho State, New Mexico State, etc. so they can enjoy their football independence.

Counting Army as a P5 team will fool no one.

News Flash...The SEC need NOT head north for quality OOC games...A&M has UCLA, CLEMSON and ND (home-home)...if the Texas series ever returns (and it will at some point) that's another non cream puff OOC game...the need for SEC teams to travel north other than in Sept/early Oct is virtually non-existent! Sorry, that's just a fact...SECs geography/climate is simply better. Why would they ever consider heading north much past mid October? Seriously, they DO NOT HAVE TO!

The SEC is trying to use a weird Independent loophole, so basically any game against FBS Indy will be counted as them a P5 game.

It is a loophole for a rule that THEY created, which is that they want to pretend to play more P5 schools OOC since the SEC typically plays the easiest OOC schedule out of all of the P5 conferences.

And RU had the right to tell ND to pound sand when ND made that request. Frankly, I don't see an issue with ND requesting what they did and RU telling them to go jump in a lake.
It has NOTHING to do with them considering us FCS or MAC. Don't be silly. They have played in Piscataway before, remember? When Regis used the Somerset Patriots ballpark for a Notre Dame pep rally, and Rutgers students sold their tickets to Notre Dame fans who couldn't get in because they didn't have student IDs? Only good thing about that day. :)

It was about money and control of tickets and trying to bully a program that needed the money. And to Rutgers eternal credit, they told the Irish what they could do with themselves. That was a proud day to be a Rutgers fan, but it was not about how they looked at us as a MAC program. Just nonsense.

"required" to play a P5 non-conference........

required or what?

you go on double secret probation?

...........more silliness..........

Notre Dame also but no
one will schedule them as they would expect a home and home and the SEC
does not go on the road OC, and forget about going north on top of that.

UGA just entered into a home and home with ND. Tennessee has in the past as has LSU.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

When did LSU go to ND? I thought I heard one time that when LSU played Washington in Washington it was the first time they played a game above the mason dixon line in like 50 years.

Originally posted by ecojew:

BYU made its choice so let it live with it.

BYU made what choice? They were never in a P5 conference to begin with. They were in the WAC/Mountain West before they went independent. The only chance they had to be P5 was either to get invited to the Pac 12 or Big 12, and neither happened.

Originally posted by RUfromSoCal?:
"required" to play a P5 non-conference........

required or what?

you go on double secret probation?

...........more silliness..........

You don't get conference payouts.

can this also have to do with TV sets watching?

- An SEC team vs. an FCS gets few casual fans watching outside of the team's fanbase.
- An SEC team vs a MAC / SunBelt gets some more casual fans but is not likely an ESPN game.
- AN SEC team vs. Army can get ESPN to broadcast, get onto the Armed Forces Network for overseas serviceman / women and get a lot of casual fans who were in the military and have an affinity for Army.

Originally posted by BoroKnight:

It has NOTHING to do with them considering us FCS or MAC. Don't be silly. They have played in Piscataway before, remember? When Regis used the Somerset Patriots ballpark for a Notre Dame pep rally, and Rutgers students sold their tickets to Notre Dame fans who couldn't get in because they didn't have student IDs? Only good thing about that day. :)

It was about money and control of tickets and trying to bully a program that needed the money. And to Rutgers eternal credit, they told the Irish what they could do with themselves. That was a proud day to be a Rutgers fan, but it was not about how they looked at us as a MAC program. Just nonsense.
I assume this was meant for Rusk97, because nowhere did I say anything about ND considering you a FCS or MAC school.

You typed "SEC" instead of "Florida". Ohio State backed out of a home and home with Georgia, so they replaced tOSU with Notre Dame. Tennessee has signed home and home agreements with Pitt and Nebraska and a 2-for-1 with UConn. Arkansas just completed a series with us (I guess NJ isn't in the north?) and have a home and home with Michigan. LSU recently had home and homes with Washington and West Virginia and scheduled Oklahoma. Texas A&M has a home and home with Notre Dame in the future.

Originally posted by RUfinal4:
can this also have to do with TV sets watching?

- An SEC team vs. an FCS gets few casual fans watching outside of the team's fanbase.
- An SEC team vs a MAC / SunBelt gets some more casual fans but is not likely an ESPN game.
- AN SEC team vs. Army can get ESPN to broadcast, get onto the Armed Forces Network for overseas serviceman / women and get a lot of casual fans who were in the military and have an affinity for Army.
For once I calmly read down the thread to see if anyone would state the obvious.. this has ESPN fingerprints all over it. They seriously jumped into bed with the SEC and are behind decisions like this. No doubt.

Yup. Including Army was done so they wouldn't explicitly exclude Army as the only Independent not considered as a P5 or as a loophole for the scheduling requirement for schools like Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:

For once I calmly read down the thread to see if anyone would state the obvious.. this has ESPN fingerprints all over it. They seriously jumped into bed with the SEC and are behind decisions like this. No doubt.

Next time I would suggest a tranquilizer.

You are overthinking this way too much. You act like the SEC is "getting away" with something. This P5 requirement is strictly a conference designation. There is no NCAA rule or mandate about this. There is no criteria on the playoff committee regarding "P5" teams. In fact, all conferences don't even have this rule. (Obviously the Big 12 doesn't, as evidenced by Baylor's schedule.) The SEC isn't somehow getting an "unfair advantage" by counting Army as a P5. For example, if Alabama plays Army, the Playoff Committee is not somehow going to give Alabama "extra points" because the SEC classifies Army as P5. It will not change the Committee's evaluation of Army's effect on the schedule. It literally has no other function outside of the SEC league office.

More to the point, suggesting ESPN has something to do with the makes even less sense. If ESPN thought playing Army was so lucrative, they would have seen to it that Army was in a P5 conference somehow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT