ADVERTISEMENT

Seels2662's Top 5 5th year transfers

seels2662

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2005
So I thought that I would have a little fun today, and I spent a bunch of time this afternoon reading dozens of articles on the internet seeing what 5th year guys are left. We don't hear much internally with MBB so none of these players have been directly linked to Rutgers, its simply the players that I think would help this team the most this year. So, in order from 1 to 5:

1)Mareik Isom, F, Arkansas-Little Rock-This should be our #1 target. Period. Exhibit A-how many 5th years are we going to get that has played in a sweet 16 game? Exhibit B-He's 6'9". Exhibit C-he has made 95 threes in his college career approaching a 40% clip. Combine those three things into one player and to me he's the best 5th year left on the board.
2)LJ Rose, G, Houston-Last year this kid only played in two games because of a foot injury which allowed him to get a medical redshirt. In the two years prior to that, he averaged 9.8 and 8.9 pts/g playing in an American conference that wasn't too shabby. I put him higher on this list because he is the one true guard on the list and we probably could really use one.
3)Norville Carey, F, Southern Miss- This one is a little tricky, because according to this article (link), it seems as though he is leaving, but didn't officially request his release yet. But he would be a big time get, as he is a stretch 4 that can fill up a stat line. Here (link) is a highlight film, remember this is against COLLEGE players, not HS players.
4)Christian Jones, F, St. John's-as of this article in April (link), he was probably going to go overseas to play, but would consider a grad transfer if the right opportunity comes. 8.4 points and 5.2 rebounds per game is nothing to sneeze at. I am surprised I didn't hear much about him as we do have SJU guys on this board, is there something I am missing?
5)Marvin Jones, C, Kent State-The former JUCO did not put up great numbers in his only season at Kent State, but 6'10" is 6"10" so the worst case scenario he plays a couple minutes a game to spell a couple of guys who are in foul trouble and gives us (finally) a big guy to practice against. Meanwhile he can get a masters at one of the best research institutions around and play in the B1G.

So this is my list. What do you think? Like I said I spent the majority of this afternoon doing this but its not like I spent weeks looking so there may be some I missed.

Last edited:
I think we are waiting for the Martin twins to make their decision. I realize there would still be one additional slot but there has not been much noise about any other names associated with us for this coming season. Would assume the twins decision is near and I am wondering if they did themselves a disservice by looking for a package deal. One might think they could have better individual situations at separate schools. With regard to your list, I would agree that a one and done guard who can contribute would be the preference. I don't think we need another 5.

Reactions: Scangg and RUJMM78
I think we are waiting for the Martin twins to make their decision. I realize there would still be one additional slot but there has not been much noise about any other names associated with us for this coming season. Would assume the twins decision is near and I am wondering if they did themselves a disservice by looking for a package deal. One might think they could have better individual situations at separate schools. With regard to your list, I would agree that a one and done guard who can contribute would be the preference. I don't think we need another 5.
I agree we would like to have a guard but Isom is a SF who like to camp out and shoot threes. It would give us another look that we have not had in a long time.

In my opinion we need to add one more person to the 2016 team, and it must be a one-and-done 5th year senior. With only 10 scholarships we have to get real lucky with injuries to survive. The twins are getting wines and dines by alot of programs right now. They are a package deal, the reason why they are leaving NC State in the first place is because they only had room for one of them in the rotation.

Good effort seels. Im with you in that this team NEEDS 5th year transfer(s) to make us a better team (even marginally) and then exit to create spots for next years recruiting class. I'd take any/all of the guys you listed.

I'd be looking for at least 1 G/Ts to play a SG/SF position. Realizing that we are not a premium destination I'd be looking at guys like DeVon Walker from Florida, Jodan Price from Eastern Mich, Theo Johnson from Liberty, Evans Ganapamo from New Orleans but admittedly am not very knowledgeable about any of these guys. It just seems we have a GIANT hole and opportunity for a long SG/SF that can shoot for next season.

get the twins and another PF-F Remember there is a slight SLIGHT chance the twins can Graduate this summer.

Good effort seels. Im with you in that this team NEEDS 5th year transfer(s) to make us a better team (even marginally) and then exit to create spots for next years recruiting class. I'd take any/all of the guys you listed.

I'd be looking for at least 1 G/Ts to play a SG/SF position. Realizing that we are not a premium destination I'd be looking at guys like DeVon Walker from Florida, Jodan Price from Eastern Mich, Theo Johnson from Liberty, Evans Ganapamo from New Orleans but admittedly am not very knowledgeable about any of these guys. It just seems we have a GIANT hole and opportunity for a long SG/SF that can shoot for next season.
Exactly. Also another important piece of the 5th year guy is that it still keeps the scholarship available for the 2017 season.

I looked at every player on your list yesterday and I think some can help but they simply don't give as much as the others. Foe example Theo Johnson hit only 26% of his threes last year, and to me the last thing we need is another guard who can't shoot.

Reactions: RUJMM78
get the twins and another PF-F Remember there is a slight SLIGHT chance the twins can Graduate this summer.
As I said the twins have alot of suitors. So I am not totally confident that they are coming here. I would say 50/50 right now. Thiam is the one that makes it so a PF is viable since he can play the three as well as the 4 if we get a PF he will simply play mostly SF for us. Thats why Carey was intriguing to me it give us yet another look.

I am fine if the twins come but if they don't, I am not going to be too upset about it. I wonder how the staff is feeling about the receptiveness they are getting from the potential 2017 class. If they are getting a strong vibe then having more schollies could be better than the twins. If it seems like the reception is luke warm then may be they are more important than I want to believe they are. I will admit that I have an aversion of tying up two schollies for three years to get two years of play from kids whose games look similar. While the higher regarded twin would be a slam dunk I am not convinced we don't do better in the fall. I understand this could be 2 for 1 if they leave post grad but would not be counting on that in the decision making process.

With regard to transfers, does anyone know how many 5th year kids that are still uncommitted have actually visited?

I have stated that for class balance I would prefer to call it day right now except for 5th year seniors ...

I'll defer to Steve P on this but I really would not want 2017-2018 to be 4 seniors and 6 juniors as it will be a while before this is Steve P team with upperclassmen

Reactions: RUJMM78
Just an update on these 5:

Isom-It seems now as though Isom wanted to return back home to be close to his grandmother. However Texas has not offered yet, they may not have room for him. Clemson has shown some interest.

Rose-Last week BYU hosted Rose after a flight cancellation the week before, and they are confident in getting him, although there is not an update on the visit. Just an FYI on a stat that I missed...He was #15 and #29 in the nation in assists the last two years he played (remember he took a medical redshirt last year).

Carey-With the other two guys looking like they are not going to be available, Carey ends up being the best "free agent". As a result, is name is out there all over the place. He is keeping things close to the vest, so noone knows exactly who has contacted him, but blogs and message boards from UConn, Georgia, Providence, Memphis, and thanks to me, Rutgers, have talked about him being someone of interest. This could be real interesting, because even though he came from the Virgin Islands, he went to HS in Delaware, so maybe NJ would be a place he would go to.

Christian Jones-No news from him although the same UConn blog that talked about Carey also talked about Jones. As I said before, he will probably go overseas unless someone gives him a call.

Marvin Jones-There is no chatter going on with him, I think he is one of those guys that you won't hear much until the summer when a program sees they have an extra spot and could use someone of his size.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT