ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: Gophers' PJ Fleck: Without NIL money, we can't keep team intact - Same for RU

eddynyse

Junior
Nov 17, 2003
Gophers' PJ Fleck: Without NIL money, we can't keep team intact

Interesting article about NIL and Minnesota. Schiano had mentioned similar things as well. They aren't the only coaches, multiple coaches have adapted to this new reality: Day, Saban, Fisher, Smart, Harbaugh, and the list goes on and on.

In my opinion, Hobbs and Schiano need to push more on those willing to contribute to NIL so we can keep the players we developed and attract others from other teams who sre not willing to adapt to this new environment.

The new age of college athletics... At least now as a collective group we can have more of an impact on recruiting compare to pre-NIL where our lack of success and okay facilities, crappy coaches (i.e. Ash) were the things holding us back.

I know many of you don't want donate to our collective, and that is ok, but for those willing, please contribute.

Many of us already give, but yeah, you’re right. Hopefully the majority stay for the culture and development.

Reactions: eddynyse
Maybe it's naive to think this way, but I'm also hopeful the culture and brotherhood would have some impact on keeping kids loyal to their schools. That said, I do get that grad transfers would want to try someplace new for one year and a payday. Most of our best players don't fall into that category.

It's all about money. College sports at the highest level is a business.

Few people would stay at job for less or no money because of culture. Players want to get paid like anyone else.

The collectives are great for those that don't own businesses. But if you do, you can engage the players directly which will save 15%.

"You can look around the country and some of our best players that were here are best players somewhere else."

Flip Dixon immediately comes to mind, lol.

Few people would stay at job for less or no money because of culture. Players want to get paid like anyone else.
In my experience, you can retain people for below market if you treat them well. The problem is most managers are too preoccupied with their own career to really care about their subordinates. Those are the companies with turnover problems.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Reactions: RUScrew85

The collectives are great for those that don't own businesses. But if you do, you can engage the players directly which will save 15%.
What’s the tax treatment for a business giving money to a college player? Is it a SGA or is it a payroll expense?

Easiest way is to 1099 them but some states make that a lot harder to do. In that case, you'd probably have to get creative. Marketing expenses would be one way.

It wouldn't shock me if NJ was one of those states.

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
The only way to solve the issue is to have the schools pay the players directly. Sure there will still be NIL but it will be less impactful. Until then maybe we can come up with some ways creative ways to get more money.

Here is an unthought out brain fart:

But what if RU leased the stadium to a NIL collective. The NIL collective pays RU a percentage of the ticket sales, parking and concessions to manage the stadium and ticket sales and to play it's games there. The collective gets the Naming rights fees.

In my experience, you can retain people for below market if you treat them well. The problem is most managers are too preoccupied with their own career to really care about their subordinates. Those are the companies with turnover problems.
it’s different than someone in a career job. College football is only 4 years. Players will go to the highest bidder. They have limited time.
In a job, someone might take less if they are treated well, feel there is a career path for them, or like the commute or WFH situation, etc.

Reactions: LeapinLou
The only way to solve the issue is to have the schools pay the players directly. Sure there will still be NIL but it will be less impactful. Until then maybe we can come up with some ways creative ways to get more money.

But what if RU leased the stadium to a NIL collective. The NIL collective pays RU a percentage of the ticket sales, parking and concessions to manage the stadium and ticket sales and to play it's games there. The collective gets the Naming rights fees.

There will still be NIL and once the schools get involved, so does Title 9 and funding women at the same rate.

So that would take away some money from the overall athletic budget which is already in the red - if I understand your proposal correctly.

Retention is easier than obtaining, sounds weird but recruiting weekends are expensive if you’re looking for the top guys. Top 100 kids want $5k to just visit. Top300 are asking for $3k.
Some kids visit 4/5 times. If you’re refusing to pay’s for visits or not getting top kids.

• Wow
Reactions: miket007
10-15 years ago it could’ve been
$12-15 per hour 2 hour practice plus video and meetings
4 hours a day Plus 6 hours on game day
8 hours for road games

?? 25- 30 hours a week ?? $350-400 a week ??

The issue probably wasn’t football players.
It was would schools want to pay the rest of the teams the same amount or at all.

The 15% pays for the administrative costs that the collective incurs.

Whereas if a business engages an athlete directly, it will incur the costs directly related to processing the transaction, issuing the appropriate tax forms, and reporting the amounts to the IRS.

Whereas if a business engages an athlete directly, it will incur the costs directly related to processing the transaction, issuing the appropriate tax forms, and reporting the amounts to the IRS.
It’s not 15% of that’s given for that. Trust me.

Reactions: retired711
Maybe it's naive to think this way, but I'm also hopeful the culture and brotherhood would have some impact on keeping kids loyal to their schools. That said, I do get that grad transfers would want to try someplace new for one year and a payday. Most of our best players don't fall into that category.

Yeah, sadly, those days are gone.

We're supposed to buy tickets, donate to infrastructure and pay the players salaries? Not me.

IIRC folks paying the salaries in the NFL get free super box seats...

Whoa, wait. The NIL collectives take 15% off the top??!!

LOL. You guys are getting scammed. And Geo's gettin paid out of that 15% by a NIL collective, isn't he?

What's this administration include? Open a checking account, maybe keep financial books and then cut checks? For 15%?

Reactions: redking
Retention is easier than obtaining, sounds weird but recruiting weekends are expensive if you’re looking for the top guys. Top 100 kids want $5k to just visit. Top300 are asking for $3k.
Some kids visit 4/5 times. If you’re refusing to pay’s for visits or not getting top kids.

Is this really true? We're (well you guys are) paying kids to visit? LOL.

Reactions: LETSGORU91

Insanity.

Hey I have a question. If NIL payments are OK in college. Are they in HS football? And why not? Are we going to start paying sophomores to go to football practice?

LOL. You guys are getting scammed. And Geo's gettin paid out of that 15% by a NIL collective, isn't he?

What's this administration include? Open a checking account, maybe keep financial books and then cut checks? For 15%?
Yes, because administration is outsourced though a group of volunteers run the collective and do not collect a salary, to the best of my knowledge. This is inline with charitable organizations.

Interesting article about NIL and Minnesota. Schiano had mentioned similar things as well. They aren't the only coaches, multiple coaches have adapted to this new reality: Day, Saban, Fisher, Smart, Harbaugh, and the list goes on and on.

In my opinion, Hobbs and Schiano need to push more on those willing to contribute to NIL so we can keep the players we developed and attract others from other teams who sre not willing to adapt to this new environment.

The new age of college athletics... At least now as a collective group we can have more of an impact on recruiting compare to pre-NIL where our lack of success and okay facilities, crappy coaches (i.e. Ash) were the things holding us back.

I know many of you don't want donate to our collective, and that is ok, but for those willing, please contribute.
This is reality for teams like Rutgers . We don‘t have the NIL to compete at a high level . We knew this when NIL came about . We were hoping that we would have the donations would be there but hasn’t materialized yet on a consistent basis.

Reactions: rutgersal
Is this really true? We're (well you guys are) paying kids to visit? LOL.
Ryan Day is the one who said that is the going rate so big recruiting weekends run about a $100k. Visits there are no guarantees they’ll commit to your program. At least retention you get return on the money.

• Haha
Yeah, sadly, those days are gone.

We're supposed to buy tickets, donate to infrastructure and pay the players salaries? Not me.
Yeah isn't that something? In the NFL you can just buy tickets or watch on TV. For college--the amateurs--you have to pay for everything and all their TV revenue goes God knows where. The paradox of this model, where revenue is unlimited if you can get endless donations, is that it's more wasteful than the NFL, where franchises are limited by revenue. There is nobody to go if you want more money, except maybe local governments but thats for stadiums and is increasingly getting rejected by taxpayers. In college there is no incentive for some programs to limit spending because they can always just ask donors for more money.

Yes, because administration is outsourced though a group of volunteers run the collective and do not collect a salary, to the best of my knowledge. This is inline with charitable organizations.

SMH.

Ryan Day is the one who said that is the going rate so big recruiting weekends run about a $100k. Visits there are no guarantees they’ll commit to your program. At least retention you get return on the money.

LOL. The coaches and schools have to get together and just say no to that outrage. (Yeah I know that will end up in court). Clown World.

These guys are getting closer and closer to destroying the sport.

Reactions: redking and Foads

The administrative costs that Al is referencing amounts to peanuts for a business. Certainly not 15%

The collectives have a use. But you only use them when you can’t do it or don’t want to. It’s still far more effective to get funds in players with a direct relationship. Most can’t do that though.

lol nope

the last check we gave them was before Greg made his infamous comment on support of him equates to support of the school. we gave enough to actually have a day of golf with him. won't get a dime from my house again.
So the college girl's basketball team will need to have the same amount of NIL money spent of them as the Men's team? And we thought the WNBA was welfare for girls...
nuts right, title 9 will lead to semi pro affiliations for the universities sports teams I believe

The administrative costs that Al is referencing amounts to peanuts for a business. Certainly not 15%

The collectives have a use. But you only use them when you can’t do it or don’t want to. It’s still far more effective to get funds in players with a direct relationship. Most can’t do that though.

Yeah, that's why I'm saying 15% seems like yet another layer to this scam.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT