ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: Gophers' PJ Fleck: Without NIL money, we can't keep team intact - Same for RU

LOL. The coaches and schools have to get together and just say no to that outrage. (Yeah I know that will end up in court). Clown World.

These guys are getting closer and closer to destroying the sport.
Destroying it? TV money is going through the roof. TV guys should get together and hold the line.

Retention is easier than obtaining, sounds weird but recruiting weekends are expensive if you’re looking for the top guys. Top 100 kids want $5k to just visit. Top300 are asking for $3k.
Some kids visit 4/5 times. If you’re refusing to pay’s for visits or not getting top kids.
Appearance fees??? L-O-f'ing-L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoa, wait. The NIL collectives take 15% off the top??!!
I'm shocked you didnt know of the administrative fee. They ain't working pro bono. The man has got to get paid.

Yeah isn't that something? In the NFL you can just buy tickets or watch on TV. For college--the amateurs--you have to pay for everything and all their TV revenue goes God knows where. The paradox of this model, where revenue is unlimited if you can get endless donations, is that it's more wasteful than the NFL, where franchises are limited by revenue. There is nobody to go if you want more money, except maybe local governments but thats for stadiums and is increasingly getting rejected by taxpayers. In college there is no incentive for some programs to limit spending because they can always just ask donors for more money.

See: Texas A&M firing Jimbo Fischer and his $75m buyout.

This is why I don't understand people complaining about "NIL ruining college athletics we grew up with. It's going cause vast inequality."

Get rid of NIL tomorrow and elite schools still can just pay their pay out of mistakes while others can't.

Want to actually create "equality" in college athletics?
Ban donor money.
At least conference teams would be equal.
Really want equality? Pool all media money and distribute evenly among all 133 FBS teams.

break them off and make them affiliate semi pro programs. no title 9 and no ncaa

Two Athletic Departments.

One for "revenue sports" with athletes being employees and revenue sharing.

One for "non revenue sports". Continue to offer scholarships but make the schools specifically allocate funds for it. No more taking money from the revenue sports and blaming them.
Put the School Administration, student body, taxpayers and politicians on the spot. Offering golf scholarships is a priority? Pony up the money then.

Reactions: redking
See: Texas A&M firing Jimbo Fischer and his $75m buyout.

This is why I don't understand people complaining about "NIL ruining college athletics we grew up with. It's going cause vast inequality."

Get rid of NIL tomorrow and elite schools still can just pay their pay out of mistakes while others can't.

Want to actually create "equality" in college athletics?
Ban donor money.
At least conference teams would be equal.
Really want equality? Pool all media money and distribute evenly among all 133 FBS teams.
I'd say NIL ruins college football more than it already was though because it changes the dynamic with players amd recruiting. But money had already turned it into an un-level playing field.

I'm not sure why this is a story. This is exactly what everyone with at least two brain cells to rub together said was going to happen. The only difference now is that the coaches are being forced to acknowledge it publicly as a desperation play. It's not going to work because money isn't suddenly going to materialize out of thin air just because you really, really want money to be given to you.

NIL is going to kill off a bunch of interscholastic athletic departments and a metric ton of scholarships all over the country. Somewhere between 20 and 40 schools will form a professional "college football" league and it will resemble the NFL. If you sneak into that conference, your school will be set for decades (just like NFL owners have a license to print money). If your school is not invited into that conference, it is basically on the Trail of Tears to not playing major college sports.

Hiring coaches at this point requires hiring coaches who thrive with NIL and transfer portal. Coaches Schiano and Fleck have to tap the financial resources and business communities and business opportunities in NYC (& Wall Street) and Minneapolis, respectively. If they can’t, or are unwilling, hire someone else.

What is even tougher at RU is they are still playing catch up when it comes to facilities. Now that the other sports finally have a home, RU needs to spend and get a donor for a new indoor practice facility of some kind. I don't think there are renderings even out for this yet is there?

I'm not sure why this is a story. This is exactly what everyone with at least two brain cells to rub together said was going to happen. The only difference now is that the coaches are being forced to acknowledge it publicly as a desperation play. It's not going to work because money isn't suddenly going to materialize out of thin air just because you really, really want money to be given to you.

NIL is going to kill off a bunch of interscholastic athletic departments and a metric ton of scholarships all over the country. Somewhere between 20 and 40 schools will form a professional "college football" league and it will resemble the NFL. If you sneak into that conference, your school will be set for decades (just like NFL owners have a license to print money). If your school is not invited into that conference, it is basically on the Trail of Tears to not playing major college sports.
Agreed that anyone who thought this through would realize it would happen. We've already seen this in professional sports. Take MLB. Once the really big money got into professional sports and the gap between haves vs. the have nots in MLB grew too big, the small market teams were at a huge competitive disadvantage with free agency resulting in the eventual luxury tax. The big market v. small market issue in MLB is akin to the blue blood (and non-blue bloods that happen to have large money donors) vs. non-blue blood in college football.

Reactions: RUScrew85
1. Yes, there are high school kids drawing NIL money. There are also some attractive female athletes (e.g. gymnasts) doing *very* well.
2. 15% also has to cover the costs of fundraising. Keep in mind also that, for a business, the extra administrative cost (1099s, etc.) of hiring someone are small; but for a collective, all of that infrastructure has to be established.
3. NIL was never intended to be a tool to get players to come to or at stay at a school. It is supposed to be a way for them to be compensated for the commercial value created by their images, etc. But the NCAA doesn't enforce its rules against booster involvement for fear of being sued yet again. Congress needs to intervene, but seems stalemated on what to do.

1. Yes, there are high school kids drawing NIL money. There are also some attractive female athletes (e.g. gymnasts) doing *very* well.
2. 15% also has to cover the costs of fundraising. Keep in mind also that, for a business, the extra administrative cost (1099s, etc.) of hiring someone are small; but for a collective, all of that infrastructure has to be established.
3. NIL was never intended to be a tool to get players to come to or at stay at a school. It is supposed to be a way for them to be compensated for the commercial value created by their images, etc. But the NCAA doesn't enforce its rules against booster involvement for fear of being sued yet again. Congress needs to intervene, but seems stalemated on what to do.
Anything the NCAA or a conference does to restrict NIL in any way is going to be taken to court.

Anything the NCAA or a conference does to restrict NIL in any way is going to be taken to court.
Yes, but that doesn't mean the challenger would win. The Supreme Court never ruled on the NCAA's limits on NIL, but only on its limits against educational benefits --the two cases are, as lawyers say, "arguably distinguishable." To be blunt, restrictions on NIL are a lot easier to justify than limits against educational benefits.

Yes, but that doesn't mean the challenger would win. The Supreme Court never ruled on the NCAA's limits on NIL, but only on its limits against educational benefits --the two cases are, as lawyers say, "arguably distinguishable." To be blunt, restrictions on NIL are a lot easier to justify than limits against educational benefits.
Didn't the courts rule that schools could not prevent student athletes from making money off their NIL?

Didn't the courts rule that schools could not prevent student athletes from making money off their NIL?
The court actually ruled that the NCAA could not prevent NIL. It explicitly stated the individual conferences could do it (ban NIL) and I think the assumption is the individual schools could do it, too.

The court actually ruled that the NCAA could not prevent NIL. It explicitly stated the individual conferences could do it (ban NIL) and I think the assumption is the individual schools could do it, too.
Which no conference or school would do as it would put them at a big disadvantage.

Reactions: eddynyse
Which no conference or school would do as it would put them at a big disadvantage.
I said this at the time and I still believe it ... I'm not so sure that is true. You have people like Nick Saban saying NIL is a disaster; that's Alabama, not Middle Tennessee State. I would not be surprised, at all, if there was a behind-the-scenes handshake agreement (collusion) between the SEC and Big 10 commissioners where both conferences banned NIL two or three months apart. And if those two conferences did it, there would be a cascade of every other conference immediately doing it. Is it illegal? Possibly, but you'd have to prove it ... and even if you did prove it, you'd have to also prove that the SEC and Big 10 colluding (without the involvement of the other conferences) is enough to cause an anti-trust issue (and that's not as clear cut as it may seem).

I said this at the time and I still believe it ... I'm not so sure that is true. You have people like Nick Saban saying NIL is a disaster; that's Alabama, not Middle Tennessee State. I would not be surprised, at all, if there was a behind-the-scenes handshake agreement (collusion) between the SEC and Big 10 commissioners where both conferences banned NIL two or three months apart. And if those two conferences did it, there would be a cascade of every other conference immediately doing it. Is it illegal? Possibly, but you'd have to prove it ... and even if you did prove it, you'd have to also prove that the SEC and Big 10 colluding (without the involvement of the other conferences) is enough to cause an anti-trust issue (and that's not as clear cut as it may seem).
IMO it would never happen. But hey, I've been wrong before.

Reactions: RUScrew85
No, it did not. The case did not concern NIL. It concerned the NCAA's restrictions on educational benefits. Justice Kavanaugh, in a concurring opinion, cast doubt on whether any of the NCAA's restrictions on compensation were legal, but he spoke only for himself.

Saban says that to motivate donors. Also, he makes a big show of criticizing something, then does that thing better than everyone else. It's just like his criticism of no huddle spread offenses. Not long after that rant, his teams were running that same offense and destroying teams with it.

If the SEC and B1G banned NIL, there would be an avalanche of NIL money thrown at their current players and future recruits by programs outside of those conferences.

I think coaches generally are multimilliion dollar whiners. Figure out ways to make it work with what you have. You can lose players and you can get players. Teams can't horde them all (it's also not a guarantee...see A&M and Miami) and playing time and starting time are limited commodities. The lead rusher in the SEC is at Mizzou and is a D2 transfer. There are contributors to be found from lower levels or players pushed out at P5 schools. Some will work out and some won't just like recruiting. The job is to find more hits than misses.

I think coaches generally are multimilliion dollar whiners. Figure out ways to make it work with what you have. You can lose players and you can get players. Teams can't horde them all (it's also not a guarantee...see A&M and Miami) and playing time and starting time are limited commodities. The lead rusher in the SEC is at Mizzou and is a D2 transfer. There are contributors to be found from lower levels or players pushed out at P5 schools. Some will work out and some won't just like recruiting. The job is to find more hits than misses.
A lot of truth here. Someone like GS hates this model because he builds culture, taking kids from a HS boy and turning them into men, by the time they leave. When you have kids coming and going, it's impossible to build that culture anywhere near what was possible before 2022.

Would love to see the numbers at a school like OSU, Texas etc. What percentage of total NIL money is coming in small donations vs big donations. What percentage of the total NIL money is paid for by five top donors?

GS has to go recruit whales, they're the new five star recruit. Integrate them into the program in some sort of quasi-ownership experience way. Make it a high profile, very expensive hobby. Three of those guys and you're golden. Look at the money Steve Cohen has thrown around the Mets organization for his hobby. He also has billion locked up in owning the team. All you need is $15Mil a year, that's a joke to a hedge fund titan and 1/3rd of Max Sherzer's yearly contrac,t alone.

Wonder if we'll get to the point where the Universities sell the football teams, maintaining a yearly lease for the rights to using the name, with conduct clauses etc...players still take classes at the schools but the teams operate largely as a for profit enterprise that can be bought and sold, with school and league approval. This is getting so far beyond the operational functions of a University...might be the best solution, in the end.

I'll say it a hundred times, we sold out soul when we joined the B1G
It's either pay up, or continue going to Pinstripe/Quik Lane

Again, I like it b/c IMO, we had little to no shot competing w/the big boys pre NIL
The gap was getting wider
Moreover, most of them were already paying kids

Now, at least we have a shot
What PJ's saying is exactly true

Pre NIL, Minnesota had zero shot of winning anything of consequence
Row the Boat all you want, they weren't getting past Nitts/Buckeye/Michigan anytime in our lifetimes

Now, they at least have a chance with NIL
Odds are stacked against them (like they are with us), but now we're both in the game
Previously, it wasn't an option

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT