ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT Schools and Players listed in NCAA BBall Investigation

I think this is very funny. A nut job Seton Hall fan thought when Rutgers got mathis RU was cheating. Think it is funny now with the Whitehead stuff that has come out.

I think this is very funny. A nut job Seton Hall fan thought when Rutgers got mathis RU was cheating. Think it is funny now with the Whitehead stuff that has come out.
I don't think today's news means Seton Hall cheated. The ledger indicates Whitehead took money, after he was at SHU, which looks like it was an inducement for him to eventually sign with ASM Sports.

Btw, looks like the ledger used for today's Yahoo Sports article was for agent Stephen Pina LINK

Still think it is funny. Morton I think was a sleazeball. Now reading the article by Politi, not good.

Yes!!! I was coming here to defend you on this very topic! Seton Hall was paying players just like you said. Score another one for kyk! Bag men everywhereee
Except that's not exactly what's in the report. An agent paying ("loaning money to") a player is not the school paying the player even if the agent is also paying ("loaning money to") an assistant coach.
Lol wake up

Lol wake up
I don't need to wake up. I'm just saying that's not what it says. When they hired Whitehead's sleazy high school coach as a one and done COACH that was enough right there. But this is also about an opportunist like Morton using the system for his own personal gain as much as anything.

Last edited:
This is just one report based on one agent’s wrongdoing, but there’s apparently plenty more to come.

That said, based on just what came out today, the general sentiment on the MD board is that we’ll have our Sweet Sixteen season vacated from 2015-16 and that’s probably about it. Diamond, for example, took payments in February and March of his freshman (and only) year, so there were no recruiting violations at hand and the staff by all accounts has no relationship w Andy Miller. They could try to make an example of a bunch of programs and impose a small postseason ban or something, but the biggest story here are the current players involved. This is not remotely the report to rock college basketball.

I see RU FB alum Chris Brantley is/was part of the ASM Management Team.. It doesn't look like he is an agent so chances hopefully he's not involved in the shenanigans.

So Duke, USC and Kentucky conducted their own investigation and based on information they have, there are no eligibility issues with Carter, Metu or Knox.
Let's take USC/Metu as an example. How is taking a $2,000 loan from a sports agent (on their books), considered permissible for NCAA eligibility? If the loan is an accurate fact, it seems pretty clear that the player is no longer eligible, however, USC believes differently.
No wonder the Colorado students at the Colorado - USC game this week showed up in FBI shirts. With Melton, Metu and Boatwright there's a foul smell coming from that school. I'm sure Boatwright will be found guilty since he's out for the year anyway with an injury during the Oregon game.

Reactions: soundcrib
Agreed with Hawk. This is minor amateurism violation stuff. Not players being paid to go to a specific school which would be the real bombshell
Hmmmm they are being paid to go to specific schools...whoever offers the best deal the real life version of Blue Chips with Nick Nolte

If this is the bombshell that is supposed to "rock" College Basketball, it really isn't anything at all.....

All this involves is positioning by agents and "runners", trying to get a head start on clients or future clients which is done every singe day of the week in football and basketball....

The bombshell would be the evidence that clearly shows the schools are involved or involved coaches of the schools making those payments to the families/players etc....if they have that information, like they supposedly did with the original 5 schools named like Arizona, USC etc., then that's different.

There are very clear and well known/understood items on how some of these players landed with their schools, but it doesn't appear that this information touches on that exact topic or item.....which is really what bombshell means to most college sports fans....It doesn't appear they really want to go that far with this investigation.
A SHU coach took money as well.

Wouldn't it be more embarrassing, especially in BB if we were mentioned in the investigation. RU involved in cheating scandal, but that didn't work out, did it ?What went wrong for them and how come ?

Love Jerry Carino's first takeaway from his story on the Seton Hall-St. John's game. LOL. What a freakin' joke. How long did that take? 24 hours? You tell me whether it was worth it for Willard who appears locked up another NCAA berth with today's win.

Five takeaways
1. The inside vibe at Seton Hall right now is that the worst of the Whitehead affair is behind them. Willard and others close to the program expressed confidence in the independent investigation -- a step other notable schools mentioned in Yahoo's report have not taken. And he was adamant that the legacy of these seniors won't be diminished by Whitehead's transgressions.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...ltuous-week-ends-huge-win-st-johns/370092002/

Love Jerry Carino's first takeaway from his story on the Seton Hall-St. John's game. LOL. What a freakin' joke. How long did that take? 24 hours? You tell me whether it was worth it for Willard who appears locked up another NCAA berth with today's win.

Five takeaways
1. The inside vibe at Seton Hall right now is that the worst of the Whitehead affair is behind them. Willard and others close to the program expressed confidence in the independent investigation -- a step other notable schools mentioned in Yahoo's report have not taken. And he was adamant that the legacy of these seniors won't be diminished by Whitehead's transgressions.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/co...ltuous-week-ends-huge-win-st-johns/370092002/
Nothing in the Yahoo story points to Willard knowing or participating in any illegal activity. This all about an agent trying to get Whitehead to go pro something Willard would be totally against.

Nothing in the Yahoo story points to Willard knowing or participating in any illegal activity. This all about an agent trying to get Whitehead to go pro something Willard would be totally against.
Is this a serious comment? Who's talking about Willard breaking the law? We're talking about being in charge of a program that had a player and his direct report breaking NCAA rules. When you recruit a 5 star player the coach has no illusions that the kid is going to stick around for more than a year or two. He hired the player's sleazy high school coach, whose reputation preceded him, as a package deal which is as transparently transactional as you can get. And said sleazy assistant coach was taking money from the agent if you hadn't noticed.

Reactions: RURM85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT