ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: Wildwood/Rutgers

yessir321

All Conference
Sep 26, 2018
Went to Wildwood this weekend just to get away from the DMV for a few days. Super nice, wasn’t crowded at all, hit Cape May for a day etc. the reason for this post isn’t to flame or to complain I was just astonished that during the whole weekend I saw a grand total of 2 RU block stickers on cars and no one wearing any Rutgers gear, meanwhile I swear every time I turned around on the boardwalk or walking on the beach or walking through the Washington St Mall there were Penn State fans everywhere you look, I mean EVERYWHERE! I counted 36 individual people, and 12 cars with either a penn state shirt or bumper sticker, along with 5 penn state flags draped over hotel/motel balconies, compared to 2 Block R’s and not a single Rutgers shirt/hoodie/jacket/flag.... even the sports stores nearby were selling psu stuff and barely had anything Rutgers.... I get the proximatey to philly but this was ridiculous! I quite literally thought I was on a Pennsylvania beach....

Being that I’ve lived in md the last 10 years and don’t have the exposure to NJ as a whole I once did), It’s quite clear that we have a long way to go in terms of building a fan base and following in south jersey. I even asked one of the guys at a sports apparel store on the boardwalk why so much psu was on display and not Rutgers since this was you know, New Jersey.... he looked right at me and told me, “No one buys Rutgers stuff down here, they really don’t have much of a following down here”...

Mind you this conversation took place in New Jersey...... yea something needs to change with our program to get our own damn state to support our state school!

Reactions: seasidetony
Went to Wildwood this weekend just to get away from the DMV for a few days. Super nice, wasn’t crowded at all, hit Cape May for a day etc. the reason for this post isn’t to flame or to complain I was just astonished that during the whole weekend I saw a grand total of 2 RU block stickers on cars and no one wearing any Rutgers gear, meanwhile I swear every time I turned around on the boardwalk or walking on the beach or walking through the Washington St Mall there were Penn State fans everywhere you look, I mean EVERYWHERE! I counted 36 individual people, and 12 cars with either a penn state shirt or bumper sticker, along with 5 penn state flags draped over hotel/motel balconies, compared to 2 Block R’s and not a single Rutgers shirt/hoodie/jacket/flag.... even the sports stores nearby were selling psu stuff and barely had anything Rutgers.... I get the proximatey to philly but this was ridiculous! I quite literally thought I was on a Pennsylvania beach....

Being that I’ve lived in md the last 10 years and don’t have the exposure to NJ as a whole I once did), It’s quite clear that we have a long way to go in terms of building a fan base and following in south jersey. I even asked one of the guys at a sports apparel store on the boardwalk why so much psu was on display and not Rutgers since this was you know, New Jersey.... he looked right at me and told me, “No one buys Rutgers stuff down here, they really don’t have much of a following down here”...

Mind you this conversation took place in New Jersey...... yea something needs to change with our program to get our own damn state to support our state school!

There was just a full page article in the Star Ledger last week about the changing demographics of shore property owners. NY folks own the majority of property in Deal. Everywhere else south through LBI is owned by a NJ majority. However, in the some of the beach communities south, down to Cape May, PA resident actually own a majority of the beach community properties. Given that, the PennState bias makes sense, along with their winning at a high level for 3/4 generations. In central jersey, block R’s are everywhere. In the Lavallette area the block R’s highly outnumber any other school. As said above....just gotta win!!!

There was just a full page article in the Star Ledger last week about the changing demographics of shore property owners. NY folks own the majority of property in Deal. Everywhere else south through LBI is owned by a NJ majority. However, in the some of the beach communities south, down to Cape May, PA resident actually own a majority of the beach community properties. Given that, the PennState bias makes sense, along with their winning at a high level for 3/4 generations. In central jersey, block R’s are everywhere. In the Lavallette area the block R’s highly outnumber any other school. As said above....just gotta win!!!

As someone who lives in Ocean City, come summer time, the town becomes mostly PA residents from Philly and the suburbs. Penn State and Villanova gear dominate down here.

As someone who lives in Ocean City, come summer time, the town becomes mostly PA residents from Philly and the suburbs. Penn State and Villanova gear dominate down here.
I notice this too every time my wife and I visit. Between the people and the stores, it's obviously dominated by PA apparel, both pro and collegiate sports.

I realize many of the Penn State stuff is being worn/displayed by Pennsylvanians, however, some of them are New Jerseyans.

I also think a lot of it has to do with the fact that because Penn State is out of state, it has a "cool" factor amongst many teens that Rutgers will never have. It is hard for me to describe but I will call it "contrarian coolness".

Leaving NJ is appealing to many HS kids because it is away from Mommy and Daddy and (even if it is only PA) many see it as a chance to get out of their comfort zone and be "different". Subliminally, if you are going to college out of state you are passively making a statement that you either or smart (scholarship) or wealthier than the average Joe.

Even though Rutgers is a great school, in my opinion, it will never be as "cool" to the masses because it is a state school. If we ever can become a consistent winner in football or basketball, it will definitely help, however, I think many kids will always view out of state schools that way.

I do unofficial counts when I'm sitting out on the Atlantic City boardwalk. Penn State definitely wins most of the time, but I do think I see more Rutgers as time goes by (that's how I met Saquan Hampton's dad a couple weeks ago). Sometimes they comment on the Block R in the door.

Temple also seems to be trending up. Yesterday I saw a "RTI" on a lanyard, so I had to show off and spell it out for him...

I do unofficial counts when I'm sitting out on the Atlantic City boardwalk. Penn State definitely wins most of the time, but I do think I see more Rutgers as time goes by (that's how I met Saquan Hampton's dad a couple weeks ago). Sometimes they comment on the Block R in the door.

Temple also seems to be trending up. Yesterday I saw a "RTI" on a lanyard, so I had to show off and spell it out for him...
RTI?

I travel a lot around the country. The Cult is either increasing in numbers or visibility or both. Kinda like Zika virus. Or Lyme bacterium. And I don't mean just South Jersey. They're in places like Memphis and Austin and Milwaukee and St. Louis. Aside from their emblazoned symbols, they shuffle around with a blank stare on their faces and mutter, "Resistance is futile."

South Jersey. Nuff said.

Yea except if you go to some of the central jersey shore towns you’ll also find tons of people wearing Penn State gear as well.

The South Jersey shore towns get filled with PA residents each summer. Couple that with that fact that we’ve been completely irrelevant in sports the last 10 years and you barely have folks wearing Rutgers gear.

This isn’t just a South Jersey issue though, it’s an issue across the state. We’ve really lost a lot of momentum and state pride with the downfall of the football team.

In the northern beaches RU still dominates.

If in Asbury, Belmar, Squan, or Point...RU dominates. You will see some Cult stuff, but you will see RU gear and RU magnets on many cars to a greater extent than any other school.

And even though football sucks now I haven't seen a decrease in RU stuff at all in that area or Hoboken/JC. People are still proud of RU.

You spend the weekend at the shore with beautiful weather and you spend it counting school hats, shirts and magnets? You sure are the life of the party!!

Just give Ash another year and there will be nobody with an R.

Reactions: Abro1975
Always believed that Rutgers should "market" their stuff at all the New Jersey boardwalks up and down the shore. Essentially, those prizes people play for at arcades should include Rutgers jerseys, football paraphenalia, Scarlet Knights dolls/bobbleheads, beach blankets, helmets, souvenirs, etc. in the prize machines, hanging from the arcade walls, wherever. Great presence and ongoing publicity and really shouldn't be a burden cost wise. The main concern is not to make money but create "presence" for the millions that hit the Jersey shore every year. Other schools seem to have stuff. No reason Rutgers should not only have stuff there but overwhelmingly so.

Reactions: RutgersMO
I don't remember the last time I saw someone wearing an RU football Jersey in North Jersey. It used to be common place before Schiano left. I do see a fair number of vehicles with Block R magnets on the roads in Morris/ Essex and Passaic Counties. There's a few men and women in my gym who wear RU gear to workout in. I don't see much in the way of SHU BB fan wear except occasional SHU Pirate magnets on cars even though SHU BB has been successful the past few years. Maybe because North Jersey is a pro team fan base (Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, Devils, etc)?

https://scarletknights.com/sports/2017/6/28/show-your-r.aspxLots of places all around New Jersey where you can get FREE Rutgers magnets,including deep southern New Jersey. In addition, they have them at the Town Hall in South Toms River. Someone mentioned they also have them at the Shop-Rite in Hillsborough. And no, I have no idea if the Moms at the Hillsborough Shop-Rite are hot. Here is the list with locations in all 21 counties. I can't promise, but you MAY be able to get some from Mike Greengraten at Rutgers at mgreengarten@scarletknights.com.

Last edited:
Even though Rutgers has a satellite campus in the Atlantic City/Mays Landing area, IMO southeastern New Jersey is the "least Rutgers" area of the state, followed by Warren County. As more and more dorms open up at the Camden,Piscataway/New Brunswick, and Newark campuses, that is changing as all three campuses become "statewide." The days of Rutgers being looked at by only Central New Jersey kids is long gone. The explosive growth of Rutgers Medical--doctors,dentists,nurses,and other health fields is also bringing in kids from all over.And yes, Flood burning down the football program has set up back a bit,but the success of wrestling and basketball has also helped.--If you are looking for Rutgers clothing in southern New Jersey, you have Boscovs and Kohls. THe best place that I know of is Rally House (www.rallyhouse.com) in the Mount Laurel/Moorestown area.

Source, some school websites list all stores and websites where you can buy their merchandise,but we do not. It may have something to do with an agreement with www.rutgersshop.com.

I'm going to the crest in late June. Been going to Wildwood for a long time. My father went to Rutgers and I went to Penn State. We lived in NJ and then in PA.
I love the Jersey Shore and Rutgers and Penn State are both excellent schools.
I for one am very glad Rutgers is in the BIG. We have history and bitterness but we are at least both eastern schools.

Source, some school websites list all stores and websites where you can buy their merchandise,but we do not. It may have something to do with an agreement with www.rutgersshop.com.

Well, that's a situation where you are trying to sell merchandise for profit. My post above deals more with publicity. Essentially, if you can provide some of the arcade vendors at the shore (sell or give, if possible) Rutgers "stuff" to win, they'll display it during the summer. That publicity can't possibly cost more than advertising on a billboard somewhere. And it probably costs a lot less.

I don’t mind anyone who visits, behaves, drops a few bucks in the local or NJ economy. The more the merrier.

Also don’t mind when they leave either.

This may help explain a bit. In 7 of the 9 beach communities in Cape May county the majority of owners are from out of state. In Avalon it's 73%.

https://www.nj.com/data/2019/05/peo...shore-here-are-the-numbers-for-each-town.html

Reactions: S_Janowski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT