ADVERTISEMENT

Simpson

Galloway seemed to get position on Derek relatively easily on the tip-in and foul on Derek with 48 seconds to go that put Indiana up 7. A little more strength could definitely help.

And for anyone saying that putting on some muscle would slow him down, take a look at the bodies and musculature of the most successful Olympic 100m sprinters, and sprinters/cheats who've been popped for using steroids/PEDs, often after having noticeable increases in body musculature and corresponding improvements in speed and performance. Obviously too much bulk and weight gain would be a negative, but he definitely has room to add some additional musculature and strength that would be of benefit to his entire game if done properly.
It was total lack of awareness on Derek’s part that allowed Galloway to slide into the spot. They never made contact or battled for the spot. Derek was ball watching instead of knowing where his guy was at.

It appears clear that Miller as this point has not gained the confidence offensively or defensively to be a part of the rotation going forward. He was put in to foul at the end of the half against Penn State and failed and Caleb had to give his second foul and got his 3rd to start second half and that’s when Pickett went off.
The last few games any minutes he got he fouled unnecessarily , Iowa game I think, and is not even playing good defense. Sorry Greene fouling Bates last night when he was already off balance was incredibly bad and costly as he hit all 3.
On offense , Paul passed to him on the wing and he almost lost it and almost walked but thankfully passed it back out but was no threat to drive for a basket. So offensively he still lacks confidence.
Right now , he has to sit and bring him to give fouls when we are under the limit at the end of halves. But that is it. Cam, Caleb , Paul and Derek should get all the guard minutes.

Reactions: NUTSCriesToMods
I know he’s a true Frosh. I expect him to improve and perhaps be a star player eventually. But right now he’s a weakling out there. Physically overmatched on looks but also in-game. We need to bulk him up significantly if he’s going to be able to handle big minutes in big games and be able to defend the way we’ll need him to. His physical disadvantage showed vs MSU and showed again tonight.

I'm guessing you were spouting off similar terrible takes about the last guy to wear #0. Sigh.

It was total lack of awareness on Derek’s part that allowed Galloway to slide into the spot. They never made contact or battled for the spot. Derek was ball watching instead of knowing where his guy was at.
Agree, once they were near the basket.. But prior to that there was contact as Galloway ran to the rim from outside the 3 point line on the sideline as soon as Hood-Schifino took the outside shot. Derek was between him and the basket and seemed to make an attempt to block/box him out.

The play is near the end of the highlight video starting at about the 4:32 mark of the video.. Watch Galloway on the sideline closest to the camera as Hood-Schifino starts to shoot. Clicking on the settings gear icon at the bottom of the video play window will also allow watching in slow motion if you adjust the speed.

Last edited:
Miller is a type of kid who should come in for 2 minute spurts or so for big defensive hold opportunities. Otherwise he’s lost offensively
I’ve seen instances during games when teammates don’t pass him the ball given his limitations.
Once there was a 2 on 1 for us with Miller on the wing and our guy intentionally did not pass to him.
Miller is a terrific young man with a terrific family however when it comes to basketball - he s better suited for a lower conference.

Which is why putting on weight isn't always ideal. Simpson will always be slender but lightning quick. Sure he needs to add a little muscle but that's not his main problem. Just needs to adjust to the college game
I don't know what kind of weight gain/strength program, if any, Jalen Miller was on that may have caused him to look heavier this year as some say... But regarding Simpson, both adjusting to the college game and carefully adding lean muscle will help make him even better.

But as we know, adding lean muscle mass to specifically improve strength, speed, and explosiveness is very different than just putting on weight.. If it's carefully planned and monitored and he continues working on his basketball game while he's gaining lean muscle, I can't see it being anything but beneficial to his game.

I know he’s a true Frosh. I expect him to improve and perhaps be a star player eventually. But right now he’s a weakling out there. Physically overmatched on looks but also in-game. We need to bulk him up significantly if he’s going to be able to handle big minutes in big games and be able to defend the way we’ll need him to. His physical disadvantage showed vs MSU and showed again tonight.

He did score 12 BUT on JTD miss in the lane he was bullied by his man blocking out half ass and the guy got the rebound and easy put back. It was a big basket down the stretch. This can’t happen. Easy box out. Had all day to do it. Has to improve and quick because we need his speed on O now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT