ADVERTISEMENT

Rotation

Certain fans pick players to hate and never change their mind even after the team wins. I alluded to the Football board yesterday where one guy gets blamed for every loss and did nothing to help the team win 7 games. It’s a joke.

Last year some idiots started the Hyatt vs Mag argument which is moronic because they are so dissimilar. Now those guys still cannot say anything good about Hyatt who has been very good all year. I like them both and we need them both.

Last year at the end it was all about benching Paul for Derek. Now it’s bench Derek or whoever for J Mike. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Minutes are earned and I root for all of them to play well. More players playing well equals more wins. It ain’t rocket surgery.
Exactly!!!

Early bad nights can't become good nights from the bench. Let JD play through it. He's always going to give you better defense. He's also taller and faster than Noah. Noah is our fourth best guard. He should barely play.
But when JD gives you 4 turnovers and no assists in 21 minutes running the point there’s a huge problem. 50% from line is an an issue and even less than that for the year.
Noah had nice games against SHU and OSU. And probably best foul shooter on team.
Simpson is getting unfairly criticized by this fanbase and others unfairly praised at expense of others. People forgetting Simpson only a sophomore. And he took over games last year against Indiana and PSU. I don’t see any freshman doing that this year.

Noah doesn’t share the ball and really makes little impact on the defensive end. So I find interesting that certain fans are willing to excuse his recent slump (assuming that’s what it is) but have already decided Gavin doesn’t deserve to play.

To be clear, against SHU and MSU Gavin went 7-15 and averaged 10 PPG. He is in a terrible slump now but if Gavin’s poor play the last 5 deserves a seat on the bench, I’m not sure why Noah doesn’t too given he’s been awful in 3 of the last 4 games.

But when JD gives you 4 turnovers and no assists in 21 minutes running the point there’s a huge problem. 50% from line is an an issue and even less than that for the year.
Noah had nice games against SHU and OSU. And probably best foul shooter on team.
Simpson is getting unfairly criticized by this fanbase and others unfairly praised at expense of others. People forgetting Simpson only a sophomore. And he took over games last year against Indiana and PSU. I don’t see any freshman doing that this year.
JD still has the best assist/TO ratio of the guards and is a true freshman. That's pretty impressive. 0 and 4 last game is not good. No one is saying it is. He shot 4/9 though which is very good (especially for this team). 2nd best on the team against Indiana

JD foul shooting is bad so far. People have fairly been critical of that and it will be a big problem if he can't improve there

Simpson shot 2/13 with 1 shot being a lucky prayer off the backboard deeeeep 3. Why can't you admit that is not good? It's just accepting reality. 1 out of 12 actual shots is a horrible shooting night. Period. If you can't admit that is a bad game, how is anyone supposed to take anything you say seriously?

Reactions: Degaz-RU
JD still has the best assist/TO ratio of the guards and is a true freshman. That's pretty impressive. 0 and 4 last game is not good. No one is saying it is. He shot 4/9 though which is very good (especially for this team). 2nd best on the team against Indiana

JD foul shooting is bad so far. People have fairly been critical of that and it will be a big problem if he can't improve there

Simpson shot 2/13 with 1 shot being a lucky prayer off the backboard deeeeep 3. Why can't you admit that is not good? It's just accepting reality. 1 out of 12 actual shots is a horrible shooting night. Period. If you can't admit that is a bad game, how is anyone supposed to take anything you say seriously?
It was a bad shooting night so what? We didn’t win with shooting. Both players did a lot of good things. Davis gave us a spark which was needed. Derek is starting to be a leader. Williams was a Dawg. We needed all of that to win. How can anyone take you seriously if you pick and choose who you like and trash anyone who plays the same position every year? That goes for everyone not just you.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
It was a bad shooting night so what? We didn’t win with shooting. Both players did a lot of good things. Davis gave us a spark which was needed. Derek is starting to be a leader. Williams was a Dawg. We needed all of that to win. How can anyone take you seriously if you pick and choose who you like? That goes for everyone not just you.
I call it like I see it, but everyone sees things a bit differently and values certain things over others. That's where favorites come in to play

I was one of the BIGGEST Simpson fans on the board. He has a lot of quickness and isn't afraid of the moment. Can easily create separation for that mid range jumper. He just isn’t knocking it down at a high enough rate. After last season, I said he needs to improve efficiency and consistency to really take that next step and be the player we need him to be. It hasn't happened yet unfortunately. He's actually somehow shooting worse this season from 2 and overall FG%

Simpson still has a lot of potential, but he needs to find a way to be a more efficient scorer. 33% FG and 34% from 2 just aren't good enough. Those are indisputably bad numbers. It is what it is for now. I am certainly not giving up on Simpson, but he needs to figure out how to improve those numbers

Do I hate Simpson? No, I do not

Will I fairly criticize his play when he has a bad game? Yes, I will

Will I give him credit when he plays well and be pumped about it? Yes, I will

Reactions: Degaz-RU and Zak57
It was a stupid argument.
They were both battling for the starting 4 spot. Not really a dumb argument on a message board for fans to debate who is the better option to start at a position. It's essentially the entire purpose of a message board

Exaggerate much? Before our last 2 games he scored in double digits in 5 of the other 7 real games we’ve played this season (Princeton and the major conference opponents). 9 points in the other game. Overall average of 9.2 ppg in real games.

By way of comparison, Simpson and Davis have each scored double digits in only 3 of our 9 real games. Austin Williams has looked great in the last two games. Very encouraging but he played in 5 of the other games against “real” teams and didn’t hit double digits in any of them.

I’m not saying scoring is the only metric (it’s not), but Noah isn’t GG in terms of lack of experience. His defense isn’t materially worse than the other guards. He’s arguably the best ball handler among them as well as the best FT shooter. His assist numbers are disappointing thus far but it’s not like anyone else is taking him to the woodshed there either. To say he hasn’t produced at all relative to our alternatives is just inaccurate.

100% regarding FTs.
I'm sure GG, Davis, Williams are hitting FTs in practice.
Start whoever you want.

But come the end of the game, if it's close then both Noah and Simpson need to be on the court.
Can't really expect Noah to come in cold and hit key FTs.

Exaggerate much? Before our last 2 games he scored in double digits in 5 of the other 7 real games we’ve played this season (Princeton and the major conference opponents). 9 points in the other game. Overall average of 9.2 ppg in real games.

By way of comparison, Simpson and Davis have each scored double digits in only 3 of our 9 real games. Austin Williams has looked great in the last two games. Very encouraging but he played in 5 of the other games against “real” teams and didn’t hit double digits in any of them.

I’m not saying scoring is the only metric (it’s not), but Noah isn’t GG in terms of lack of experience. His defense isn’t materially worse than the other guards. He’s arguably the best ball handler among them as well as the best FT shooter. His assist numbers are disappointing thus far but it’s not like anyone else is taking him to the woodshed there either. To say he hasn’t produced at all relative to our alternatives is just inaccurate.
Stop looking at the box score for “double digits” and watch the tape.

Fernandes has passed up numerous open shots and shown an overall lack of aggression. He is also doing this in an offense that is begging him to be that guy.

Cliff’s struggles can be in major part Fernandes struggles as he has shown zero ability to gel with Cliff.

And if you want to use stats let’s look at the facts.

Excluding his freshman year at Wichita St and an injury plagued year last NF has career lows in FG%/3PT%/Offensive RTG/ Assist Rate (while maintaining turnover rate)

May I go on?

Stop looking at the box score for “double digits” and watch the tape.

Fernandes has passed up numerous open shots and shown an overall lack of aggression. He is also doing this in an offense that is begging him to be that guy.

Cliff’s struggles can be in major part Fernandes struggles as he has shown zero ability to gel with Cliff.

And if you want to use stats let’s look at the facts.

Excluding his freshman year at Wichita St and an injury plagued year last NF has career lows in FG%/3PT%/Offensive RTG/ Assist Rate (while maintaining turnover rate)

May I go on?

I’m certainly not saying he’s great - just that it’s not true that he’s been a “non factor”. We only have 3 other guards who play servicable D and of them, 2 cannot make free throws. Therefore he’s going to have to be in the rotation.

Same with Simpson, shot at the half and the free throws to clinch. While others are praised for their leadership skills, improvement or running the point, Simpson is ripped. Heaven forbid if you take the time to compare the players praised.
Carino was right.

The problem with Derek is he doesn’t really play like a PG. He’s been molded as a convert SG out of necessity like Geo. I don’t think Geo would’ve been great for Cliff’s game as a frosh/sophomore either.

J Davis is inexperienced but he’s a natural pass first PG type of player. I see him as the guy with the best shot to help get Cliff’s game going for this reason.

Reactions: Scangg
It was a bad shooting night so what? We didn’t win with shooting. Both players did a lot of good things. Davis gave us a spark which was needed. Derek is starting to be a leader. Williams was a Dawg. We needed all of that to win. How can anyone take you seriously if you pick and choose who you like and trash anyone who plays the same position every year? That goes for everyone not just you.

Agreed - I see it as we have 4 rotation guards each of whom can step up on a given day or struggle on a given day. This makes the depth critical for mix and match purposes.

Right now Gavin is behind these guards on D, ball handling, foul shooting, and he hasn’t been shooting well so for now, unless he comes into a game and wows Pike with offense, he’s probably not going to play big minutes at guard yet because we don’t need him. Austin is capable of sliding over to forward and right now a better choice than Gavin at the 3 too. Our weakest depth is at the 3-4 though so that’s probably where Gavin has the best chance of competing for PT. With Oskar.

This isn’t a knock on Gavin. He’s only a frosh and will develop. Our fans need to relax.

Reactions: Yeah Baby

All I want is fairness. Two games ago JD shot just as poorly 4-12. And most if not all were raving about improvement, leadership and running the point. That’s poor shooting period. If you can’t admit that is a bad game, how is anyone to take anything you say seriously.

Two can play your insult game. 43% from the foul line is terrible period. Going to need Fernandes and Simpson. I mean horrible Simpson didn’t ice the game with his fouls shooting. Oh he did. Period.

If Austin Williams is going to the 2nd guard than JD has to the point. Last game he played 21 minutes, had four turnovers and incredibly no assists. The biggest complaint on this board is we don’t pass the ball well. That’s horrible running the point. Period.
If you can’t admit that is a bad game, how is anyone to take anything you say seriously?

Shoe on other foot? Pot calling kettle black. Hypocrisy much?

Bottom line all guards bring something. The hate directly toward Simpson and Fernandes who have often carried us is ridiculous and there is no reason in the world to limit the rotation. That’s nutty.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaKnight
All I want is fairness. Two games ago JD shot just as poorly 4-12. And most if not all were raving about improvement, leadership and running the point. That’s poor shooting period. If you can’t admit that is a bad game, how is anyone to take anything you say seriously.

Two can play your insult game. 43% from the foul line is terrible period. Going to need Fernandes and Simpson. I mean horrible Simpson didn’t ice the game with his fouls shooting. Oh he did. Period.

If Austin Williams is going to the 2nd guard than JD has to the point. Last game he played 21 minutes, had four turnovers and incredibly no assists. The biggest complaint on this board is we don’t pass the ball well. That’s horrible running the point. Period.
If you can’t admit that is a bad game, how is anyone to take anything you say seriously?

Shoe on other foot? Pot calling kettle black. Hypocrisy much?

Bottom line all guards bring something. The hate directly toward Simpson and Fernandes who have often carried us is ridiculous and there is no reason in the world to limit the rotation. That’s nutty.
Our guard play has been terrible all season. It isn't exclusive to Simpson. The stats are not good all around. All you do is point out every other guard's bad play and pretend 2-13 is good bc he made some FTs

Rotation is fine everyone. Stop complaining.
Gavin got 5min.
Noah got 8min.

Problems solved, right?

• Sad
Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT