ADVERTISEMENT

Songs for The Dance...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Thinking of songs that might be fun to play at the RAC that get people even more jazzed about finally going to the Dance. Here are my top 3 with "dance" in the title and lyrics, plus some others I rejected for my own reasons which many might (will) disagree with, since music is so subjective.
  • Let's Dance, by Bowie. Seems obvious, but it is a great upbeat song and it's instantly recognizable by most fans.
  • Dance to the Music by Sly and the Family Stone. Same comments as for the Bowie song.
  • Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy. Newer song (2005), upbeat, also well known.
  • I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Whitney Houston). Huge hit, although not in my top 3, but could live with it (she was a Jersey girl).
  • Shut Up and Dance with Me (Walk the Moon). Another huge hit and the newest song in my list - like Whitney, I could live with it, but not my choice.
  • And no to "Dance Hall Days" (Wang Chung), "Dance with Me" (Orleans), "Safety Dance" (Men Without Hats), "Last Dance" (Donna Summer), and "All She Wants to Do is Dance" (Don Henley). All are too slow or too romantic or too whatever for me.
  • Total darkhorse candidate that I would love, but probably not many others: "Dance This Mess Around" by the B-52s. Another would be the Ramones version of "Do You Wanna Dance."
There are also a ton of songs with "dancing" in the title/lyrics, but for some nitpicky reason, I prefer "dance" over "dancing." But maybe others don't, so here's some suggestions on that avenue...
  • Dancing in the Dark, by Springsteen. Also seems obvious, given the NJ-Springsteen angle, but it's not as upbeat as the ones above and I like more upbeat to get the crowd going.
  • Dancing in the Street, by Martha and the Vandellas (not the Jagger/Bowie version). Another great, upbeat song.
  • Dancing With Myself, by Billy Idol. A personal favorite from my youth - very upbeat.
  • Dancing in the Moonlight, by King Harvest. One hit wonder, but could be just retro/kitschy enough to work - very well known.
  • And no to "Dacing Queen" (Abba) and "Dancing on the Ceiling" (Lionel Richie).
Thoughts? Too soon? Bad karma to play during a game? Others?

Reactions: 216 Row E
Listen to how Bowie sounds like Elmer Fudd in the first line of the song after he says “let’s dance.” I can imagine Elmer singing it like this: “Put on yaw wed shoes and dance da bwooz.”

Reactions: RUScrew85
Dance the Night Away - Van Halen

Dancing in the Street - Van Halen

Shut Up and Dance - Walk the Moon (this is a GREAT newer song to get the place rocking)

...No Kinks fans, or just no love for "Come Dancing?"

Love the Kinks and that song but probably not for this situation. Also on the rejection list: "I Feel Like Dancin" by Leo Sayer.

Thinking of songs that might be fun to play at the RAC that get people even more jazzed about finally going to the Dance. Here are my top 3 with "dance" in the title and lyrics, plus some others I rejected for my own reasons which many might (will) disagree with, since music is so subjective.
  • Let's Dance, by Bowie. Seems obvious, but it is a great upbeat song and it's instantly recognizable by most fans.
  • Dance to the Music by Sly and the Family Stone. Same comments as for the Bowie song.
  • I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Whitney Houston). Huge hit, although not in my top 3, but could live with it (she was a Jersey girl).
  • Shut Up and Dance with Me (Walk the Moon). Another huge hit and the newest song in my list - like Whitney, I could live with it, but not my choice.
  • And no to "Dance Hall Days" (Wang Chung), "Dance with Me" (Orleans), "Safety Dance" (Men Without Hats), "Last Dance" (Donna Summer), and "All She Wants to Do is Dance" (Don Henley). All are too slow or too romantic or too whatever for me.
  • Total darkhorse candidate that I would love, but probably not many others: "Dance This Mess Around" by the B-52s. Another would be the Ramones version of "Do You Wanna Dance."
There are also a ton of songs with "dancing" in the title/lyrics, but for some nitpicky reason, I prefer "dance" over "dancing." But maybe others don't, so here's some suggestions on that avenue...
  • Dancing in the Dark, by Springsteen. Also seems obvious, given the NJ-Springsteen angle, but it's not as upbeat as the ones above and I like more upbeat to get the crowd going.
  • Dancing in the Street, by Martha and the Vandellas (not the Jagger/Bowie version). Another great, upbeat song.
  • Dancing With Myself, by Billy Idol. A personal favorite from my youth - very upbeat.
  • Dancing in the Moonlight, by King Harvest. One hit wonder, but could be just retro/kitschy enough to work - very well known.
There is ONLY one song.

LET’S DANCE

I must've missed this other thread on RAC music...
You were correct to start this thread. The other one was just a complaint about "Country Roads" being played (I got the idea of it.. "take me home" could mean FINISH THE GAME or a goodbye to the defeated team.. "Goodbye to you" might have been better).

But when people started naming songs to use the idea of a "dance" theme developed.. deserved its own thread.

One thing I can assure you. If I had made a post like this, my kiss of death karma would have sabotaged the next 5 games.

Please not "Shut up and Dance With Me". If I hear that one more time it'll be too much.

No Kinks fans, or just no love for "Come Dancing?"

the weird thing about the Kinks video is that if you listen to the words he ends up dancing with his sister and his night ends up in frustration... Ewww

Last edited:
A song with "dance" in the title is too on the nose. Got to be the transformational dance hit The Hustle.

You want the crowd up and movin'??? Play this from the New York Dolls!!!!!!

Ok, party time kids! Going with the predictable, but perfect song, IMO.

Last edited:
Above is completely in error.
He sings about his sister going out with a new guy each weekend and only giving a peck on the cheek after "spending all his wages for the week"
You missed the point.. in the video it is the lead singer going dancing with his "sister". But thanks for playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT