ADVERTISEMENT

Sources: Greg Schiano left Patriots to return to Rutgers

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Sources told FootballScoop in recent days that Schiano left his post back in New England in order to make himself available to return to Rutgers as the Scarlet Knights’ head coach. Sources said Rutgers made it clear to Schiano at the time he will be the choice to replace Chris Ash once the position became available.

Sources said that Schiano informed Bill Belichick of his intention to return to Piscataway, and that Belichick immediately recognized a late November/early December departure would be incompatible with the Patriots’ schedule. The two came to a mutual understanding that the right thing to do for both sides was for Schiano to resign at that time.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-greg-schiano-left-patriots-return-rutgers/

Sources told FootballScoop in recent days that Schiano left his post back in New England in order to make himself available to return to Rutgers as the Scarlet Knights’ head coach. Sources said Rutgers made it clear to Schiano at the time he will be the choice to replace Chris Ash once the position became available.

Sources said that Schiano informed Bill Belichick of his intention to return to Piscataway, and that Belichick immediately recognized a late November/early December departure would be incompatible with the Patriots’ schedule. The two came to a mutual understanding that the right thing to do for both sides was for Schiano to resign at that time.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-greg-schiano-left-patriots-return-rutgers/
If true, what the hell were people doing reaching out to others as the mods are reporting??

If true all those leaving the Pats so quickly after being hired was a bunch of BS by those who acted like they had the inside scoop.

I think Football scoop was just reporting the rumorbecause he was available , not the reason he left.
He would have been just as available after NE's season was over and could have been named the next RU FB HC after Rutgers season was over waiting to assume control once the Patriots season ended , before the Superbowl or after NE played in it

Greg might be willing to come back but I doubt
he would unless Hobbs can guarantee he'll get the support he needs to rebuild Rutgers football into a good program.
But that has been discussed repeatedly the last couple of years.

I agree w/those who see this rumor as bullshit.

The worst thing Hobbs can do is leak information about the coach search. Being quiet about it all gives him options. Leaking could eliminate opportunities.

Having said that, I was at Subway and overhead a couple guys talking RU football coaches. Sounded like they were talking about inner-city hot dog brands or something.

So Schiano risked missing another potential NE Super Bowl with his RU players, in order to wait for Ash to get fired at some point? Sounds sketchy
To come to a job he must know has a ton of people with unreasonably high expectations of quick success from him.

Schiano's a pretty intelligent guy. I think he must view this job with a lot of trepidation knowing how quickly the fan-base could turn on him. A fan-base that seemed pretty evenly split between people who were defending him and people who wanted him gone at the time he left.

He might take an offer, if it's extended. But I would have to think that, if he wants to be a HC, he would want to keep his options open to see if another P5 job opens up elsewhere before making a decisions.

I know there are still bad feelings about the way he left, but who is the only recent coach to have won at Rutgers? Greg is the best hire.

Bad feelings at the time. He had his chance of lifetime and took it. Bad timing for us for sure, but he can totally redeem himself now.

Short of Urban, there is no one I would rather have than Greg. Instant cred with the tools to get us off life support immediately.

This is gonna be a wildly exciting time to be a Rutgers football fan again if he returns.

Bad feelings at the time. He had his chance of lifetime and took it. Bad timing for us for sure, but he can totally redeem himself now.

Short of Urban, there is no one I would rather have than Greg. Instant cred with the tools to get us off life support immediately.

This is gonna be a wildly exciting time to be a Rutgers football fan again if he returns.
I didn't have any bad feelings when he left. Was a little shocked because it came out of nowhere. But I wasn't upset with him in the slightest for going to the NFL because all this is just business. Not personal.

Conversely, I will not be excited if he comes back; I'll be a little let down. Because I think there are better options out there. While he did an excellent job a program builder, he had 11 years and never won the Big East or anything else. He did very poorly at Tampa Bay. And not as well as Ash as DC at Ohio State.

I get why people are very fond of him because he was smart about creating a soft schedule and getting us to bowl games regularly. But times have changed, our schedule will never be soft anymore, and his in-conference record was poor back then, even in the last 4 seasons (after 7 years of program building).

He'd be my last choice if we can't get any of the better options. For me, a let-down.

Reactions: hiwater and rucoe89
To come to a job he must know has a ton of people with unreasonably high expectations of quick success from him.

Schiano's a pretty intelligent guy. I think he must view this job with a lot of trepidation knowing how quickly the fan-base could turn on him. A fan-base that seemed pretty evenly split between people who were defending him and people who wanted him gone at the time he left.

He might take an offer, if it's extended. But I would have to think that, if he wants to be a HC, he would want to keep his options open to see if another P5 job opens up elsewhere before making a decisions.
You continue to talk out of your ass regarding Schiano. Schiano is one of the few people who have built up credibility with the fanbase to withstand a losing season or two while we're rebuilding without having rioting ensue. I don't think he'll have much trepidation at all about the fan-base, plus he's a confident guy who knows what needs to be done and knows that he can do it.

And there was no "evenly split" fan-base when he left. We had just finished a very successful 9-4 season, capped with a nice win against Iowa State in our bowl game, and that season easily could've been a 10-11 win season if we could've closed the deal against UNC and Louisville (very close losses). Plus, recruiting was on the upswing with top 20-30 classes. Most fans were distraught when he left.

Finally, there's very little question on whether he takes the job, as long as we come up with decent $$. As I've been saying for a couple of months now, Greg is very likely to be our next coach (no guarantees, but high probability).

One more thing on your other post: Jones won 2 championships in the MAC. Big deal. And his two in the BE were ties, where Cincy wasn't good enough to get the BCS bowl, so they were no more meaningful than finishing 2nd and he never had a season as successful as Greg's 2006 season, plus he went 4-8 in his first year at Cincy, after they were 12-1. Also, he had two good years at TN, two horrible ones and one mediocre one. I still think he's a good candidate, but not as good as Schiano.

You can bet they will be coming the moment
it's confirmed Hobbs plans to speak with Greg.

Expect some of the Schiano detractors on this board to use it as one of the reasons they think Greg shouldn't come back.
I'm a Schiano detractor from the standpoint that I am forever grateful for what he was able to accomplish when he was here, but I don't want him back as there are better options, objectively speaking.

But I would never claim he was involved w/the Sandusky cover-up. I have no idea if he was or wasn't and wouldn't make that accusation based on some "gut feeling".

OTOH, if the media makes a huge stink, then that could become a factor because it could impact recruiting. That's out of our hands. And we aren't Ohio State - we cannot afford to introduce any potential negatives into the recruiting situation because we don't have the kind of football program that can overcome such a thing; should the media make it an issue.

But I tend to think that NJ media might bring it up, but won't dwell on it. So if he's hired, I think it will become a non-issue. Because, like I said, there's no evidence he was involved in any way.

Reactions: hiwater
You continue to talk out of your ass regarding Schiano. Schiano is one of the few people who have built up credibility with the fanbase to withstand a losing season or two while we're rebuilding without having rioting ensue. I don't think he'll have much trepidation at all about the fan-base, plus he's a confident guy who knows what needs to be done and knows that he can do it.

And there was no "evenly split" fan-base when he left. We had just finished a very successful 9-4 season, capped with a nice win against Iowa State in our bowl game, and that season easily could've been a 10-11 win season if we could've closed the deal against UNC and Louisville (very close losses). Plus, recruiting was on the upswing with top 20-30 classes. Most fans were distraught when he left.

Finally, there's very little question on whether he takes the job, as long as we come up with decent $$. As I've been saying for a couple of months now, Greg is very likely to be our next coach (no guarantees, but high probability).

One more thing on your other post: Jones won 2 championships in the MAC. Big deal. And his two in the BE were ties, where Cincy wasn't good enough to get the BCS bowl, so they were no more meaningful than finishing 2nd and he never had a season as successful as Greg's 2006 season, plus he went 4-8 in his first year at Cincy, after they were 12-1. Also, he had two good years at TN, two horrible ones and one mediocre one. I still think he's a good candidate, but not as good as Schiano.
You are utterly non-objective about this. And stop obsessing about my ass, you creep.

Schiano is not the best option out there. If we can't get anybody else, and have no choice, fine. But if we can get somebody who has a winning record and won conference titles, and who can think offensively, we gotta go with that person.

Reactions: hughthompson
I agree w/those who see this rumor as bullshit.

The worst thing Hobbs can do is leak information about the coach search. Being quiet about it all gives him options. Leaking could eliminate opportunities.

Having said that, I was at Subway and overhead a couple guys talking RU football coaches. Sounded like they were talking about inner-city hot dog brands or something.
The only options he has right now are coaches sitting on their ass. You can't tamper with coaches under contract while their season is still on going. So his options are already limited. You really think he's going to wait two months to name a coach? My bet he already knows who he wants and the details just have to be hammered out. This way the coach can get a jump start on assembling a staff and monitoring recruiting with a Dec. 18th signing date now in play.

Reactions: Steve91562
The only options he has right now are coaches sitting on their ass. You can't tamper with coaches under contract while their season is still on going. So his options are already limited. You really think he's going to wait two months to name a coach? My bet he already knows who he wants and the details just have to be hammered out. This way the coach can get a jump start on assembling a staff and monitoring recruiting with a Dec. 18th signing date now in play.
How far can a coach get in assembling staff unless they're all unemployed too which is unlikely. Maybe feelers at best but then who knows which will come to fruition or not until the off season.

If true all those leaving the Pats so quickly after being hired was a bunch of BS by those who acted like they had the inside scoop.

I think Football scoop was just reporting the rumorbecause he was available , not the reason he left.
He would have been just as available after NE's season was over and could have been named the next RU FB HC after Rutgers season was over waiting to assume control once the Patriots season ended , before the Superbowl or after NE played in it

Greg might be willing to come back but I doubt
he would unless Hobbs can guarantee he'll get the support he needs to rebuild Rutgers football into a good program.
But that has been discussed repeatedly the last couple of years.
Greg was interested in the Temple job, so I have no doubt he would jump at the Rutgers job, assurances from Hobbs or not. I agree that another top coach would want assurances, but not necessarily Greg.

One of the news reports (NJ.COM, I think) stated that he was not expected to name a new coach until after the season. I would hope we don't wait that long, but as you say, some of the coaches under consideration might be in mid-season.

So Schiano risked missing another potential NE Super Bowl with his RU players, in order to wait for Ash to get fired at some point? Sounds sketchy

It’s also very weird that Schiano accepted the gig at New England and stepped down a month later.

I think this is very possible one of our biggest donors with direct ties to Schiano and the RU administration (Brown) was pulling strings behind the scenes.

Let’s be real - we knew Ash wasn’t getting more than 4-5 wins this year and was going to get canned.

I think the more likely scenario is that Schiano told Belicheck that he would like to pursue a college HC opening and BB thought that would not work given the NFL calendar. I doubt it was Rutgers specific since at that time Hobbs was still solidly in Ash's corner.
How do you know Hobbs was solidly in Ash's corner? It's not like Hobbs, until he makes a decision, is going to talk publicly about any negatives with a coach of one of his teams. That would be extremely unprofessional.

Reactions: rufeelinit
How far can a coach get in assembling staff unless they're all unemployed too which is unlikely. Maybe feelers at best but then who knows which will come to fruition or not until the off season.
Well he can't hire any already coaching but like you said he can put feelers out and see how much interest they have. He can also start evaluating the current staff during practice and see if any of those are worth keeping around. Nunzio is one that will probably stick around.

Greg was 28-48 conference record in a baaaad conference, can’t believe some thing he’ll do better than Ash now in the Big Ten East

Reactions: rimsky
Greg was 28-48 conference record in a baaaad conference, can’t believe some thing he’ll do better than Ash now in the Big Ten East
I will even forgive the first 7 seasons, due to the need to build from nothing. But he was still under .500 in-conference his last 4 seasons. That's just not good performance. Definitely not good enough to be very competitive in the Big Ten which has only grown in competitiveness since back when Schiano was here.

If this is true Hobbs is the most incompetent AD in college athletics. He threw away an entire season to save a few million? This has to be one of the short sighted things I have ever heard of.

One of the news reports (NJ.COM, I think) stated that he was not expected to name a new coach until after the season. I would hope we don't wait that long, but as you say, some of the coaches under consideration might be in mid-season.
Two months? Damn, then he's going to roll the dice he can lure a current coach. That's a gamble if it falls through, you're now scrambling with everyone else who fires their coach. We're obviously not outbidding anyone in that scenario with $16mil from the B1G. Now if he comes out with a Morehead I'll be ecstatic. He comes out with Joe Blow OC from Douche Bag U., I'll be questioning the judgement once again.

It’s also very weird that Schiano accepted the gig at New England and stepped down a month later.

I think this is very possible one of our biggest donors with direct ties to Schiano and the RU administration (Brown) was pulling strings behind the scenes.

Let’s be real - we knew Ash wasn’t getting more than 4-5 wins this year and was going to get canned.
I agree with this. And what if, additionally, folks close to the situation noticed Ash just wasn’t into it, was really frustrated, hated being in NJ, etc.? That would prompt the key stakeholders to start reaching out.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Two months? Damn, then he's going to roll the dice he can lure a current coach. That's a gamble if it falls through, you're now scrambling with everyone else who fires their coach. We're obviously not outbidding anyone in that scenario. Now if he comes out with a Morehead I'll be ecstatic. He comes out with Joe Blow OC from Douche Bag U., I'll be questioning the judgement once again.
Agreed.

But at this point, with all the rumors swirling around, including the article I read, who knows what’s really going on. We might name a coach in two weeks for all anybody knows.

If this is true Hobbs is the most incompetent AD in college athletics. He threw away an entire season to save a few million? This has to be one of the short sighted things I have ever heard of.
Well nobody ever said our BOG and President cared about athletics. They're the one's who have to sign off on things before they can be implemented. What makes you think they care? Is it the cash grab to eliminate Direct Institutional Support 1st before athletics gets their piece of the B1G pie?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT