ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams play

letterman

Sophomore
Aug 18, 2003
i was pleased with the effort and general overall improvement of our team. However, there is no excuse for what happened on special teams last night, in view of what happened last year. The lack of punt coverage and the inability to kick a routine field goal changed the outcome of this game. ash has to start considering a change with regard to Vince Okruch.

Reactions: goru7
So what part of our special team play did you like last year, and how do you like this year so far?

i was pleased with the effort and general overall improvement of our team. However, there is no excuse for what happened on special teams last night, in view of what happened last year. The lack of punt coverage and the inability to kick a routine field goal changed the outcome of this game. ash has to start considering a change with regard to Vince Okruch.

A 47 yard FG is Not routine.

A 47 yard FG is Not routine.
It's a miss , so complaints are valid.
Will hold judgement about the FG kicking , but remain worried about if it will be a minus instead of a +
On Anderson out-kicking coverage, with the amount of space he had was very surprised he was able to do that.
Bummer it lead to TD, but I was expecting the Dawgs to get great field position ( around 40) if fair catch was result.

OP double fail. As said above 47 yd not routine. And it wasn't the coverage on the punt. The punt was supposed to go out of bounds. Ash explained this in the post game presser. The punter (and FG kicker) knew what he was supposed to do and both failed to execute. That's not on any coach.

Also you knew going in that Ash wasn't happy with either FG kicker as neither pulled away from the competition. We have who we have, which isn't great but don't expect many 40+ yard FG made this year.

Horrible

Lack of experience in the FG kicker is the worry for me. Harte didn't get any reps over his entire tenure at Minnesota, and that could be indicative of his accuracy/consistency. Justin Davidovicz would seem to be the next man up, but he is unproven as well. The 60 yard or so punt from Anderson was a thing of beauty and there were ohs and ahs as it sailed in the air. The punt was muffed and afterwards there was a gaping hole up the middle for a pretty easy run back. I don't think he out kicked the coverage, it seemed like pretty bad coverage. Throw in a great return man and it's a TD. Another shout out for the solid play from the true freshman long snapper Billy Taylor in his first collegiate start.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Lack of experience in the FG kicker is the worry for me. Harte didn't get any reps over his entire tenure at Minnesota, and that could be indicative of his accuracy/consistency. Justin Davidovicz would seem to be the next man up, but he is unproven as well. The 60 yard or so punt from Anderson was a thing of beauty and there were ohs and ahs as it sailed in the air. The punt was muffed and afterwards there was a gaping hole up the middle for a pretty easy run back. I don't think he out kicked the coverage, it seemed like pretty bad coverage. Throw in a great return man and it's a TD. Another shout out for the solid play from the true freshman long snapper Billy Taylor in his first collegiate start.
Ash said he was not supposed to punt it that far and that it was supposed to be kicked out of bounds.

When you are kicking close to end zone with maximum protection not even the pros try to angle it out of bounds. It is always get it out as fast as you can. Punter had a great punt. It was lousy coverage. Blaming the players for poor coaching coverage seems very Randy Edsel like.

Reactions: ruready07 and goru7
47 yard field goal is not a routine field goal in the college game.

Reactions: Rokodesh
we all saw what damage the OC did to us last year. he wasn't the only problem, just the more obvious one. I love what Ash is doing and want him to succeed more than anyone. special team play did not improve from last year to this year and that is unacceptable. It will be the downfall of this team if something isn't,t done.

we all saw what damage the OC did to us last year. he wasn't the only problem, just the more obvious one. I love what Ash is doing and want him to succeed more than anyone. special team play did not improve from last year to this year and that is unacceptable. It will be the downfall of this team if something isn't,t done.
Wrong.
Some people just love to find a dog to kick.
Last year it was lack of talent.
This year, we have a new kicker. 47 yarder is not routine.
As others have explained, that punt was supposed to be out of bounds. That's on the punter as much as the coverage team. But Pettis is a threat, so he deserves some credit.

I don't evaluate STs based on last year.

Last night, my only problem was taking a knee on the two punts/KO's.

My thoughts quickly:

Punt game - better
Kickoff game - better
Kick Return DGame- we'll see (UW one of best ST's in the nation...like Top 5); they didn't kick deep at least 3 times
Punt Return Game- same (their punter put 2 inside the 5 that basically just sat there)
Punt D - let an AA candidate break one
Kick Return D- thought was better
FG/XP - hit both XP's very well; 47-yards, in college, is in no way, shape, or form, "routine"...
Snaps/holds - all looked good to me

Reactions: satnom
Several things about the special teams... agree it would have been great to hit it from 47 but it tailed off at the last 15... it was not a routine kick at night....Be glad we have a kid with a big leg as our punter does...after the past several years I'll take him... Davidowicz can kick as well... the the things that cost us were in the execution... we did have 2 not 1 player miss the tackle on Pettit.

Ash said he was not supposed to punt it that far and that it was supposed to be kicked out of bounds.
Yes, he said that, but think about it. We averaged 44 yards per punt including the 60 yarder. It's not a reach then to assume that his normal kick for that game would have been about a 40-42 yarder. If he aims for out of bounds, will the kick go out after 40 yards or earlier? Under the kick out of bounds scenario, Washington gets the ball at our 40 or closer. In no case does that make sense to me.

Reactions: goru7 and G- RUnit
Yes, he said that, but think about it. We averaged 44 yards per punt including the 60 yarder. It's not a reach then to assume that his normal kick for that game would have been about a 40-42 yarder. If he aims for out of bounds, will the kick go out after 40 yards or earlier? Under the kick out of bounds scenario, Washington gets the ball at our 40 or closer. In no case does that make sense to me.
I will go with Ash instead if you , no offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT