ADVERTISEMENT

Spring lake NJ feedback

RUbacker

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2014
Spending the weekend in spring lake and looking for feedback on casual dining places and maybe a thing or two to see while in town.
Thanks.

Spending the weekend in spring lake and looking for feedback on casual dining places and maybe a thing or two to see while in town.
Thanks.

there a restaurant with a hotel attached right near the beach. Can't remember the name but enjoyed the food there. i'll try to find the name

there a restaurant with a hotel attached right near the beach. Can't remember the name but enjoyed the food there. i'll try to find the name
Hewitt Wellington is the Hotel, and the restaurant is Called Whispers. Not casual.

@e5fdny will cook you a meal that will knock your socks off, and he is not far away.

Thanks.
Options are limited right in Spring Lake. In Spring Lake Heights, St. Stephen's Green is a decent place for Irish fare. There are a few Irish people in those parts.

Would highly recommend venturing into Asbury Park. Try the Mexican place that is part of The Complex. Or try one of the many other options there. The Fiesthalle is worth a trip.

If you don't want to venture to Asbury Park, there is a decent Southern Cooking place in the old Acme Plaza between Main Street and the railroad on 9/10 Ave in Belmar called Simply Southern. It is run by an ex- NY Giant. Anchor Tavern in Belmar is very casual, and we enjoyed it.

As far as sight-seeing, not much in that immediate area. But if you want to drive 10 minutes, Allaire State Park in Wall is interesting.

Nothing else comes to mind. Would definitely recommend going up and down Cookman Ave in Asbury Park. Lots of interesting shops.

Ocean Grove is worth visiting too. It will still be very quiet this time of year.

I'd recommend La Dolce Vita in Belmar for a nice-but-casual dinner. It's 5 minutes away.

I would not recommend the Breakers for dinner -- very kind of old crowd.

Really not a ton of activities in the town -- besides walking up and down the boardwalk or biking around. But I happen to like that.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Is Who's on Third still there in Spring Lake? I used to date the owner's daughter. That was some great comfort food. There was a food critic who once said that their "chicken soup can cure cancer".

Reactions: Newbrunfus
+1 on La Dolce Vita if coming by car. Not far and a nice ride down Ocean Avenue (if staying in Spring Lake) to get there.

If taking the train you might want to stay here, The Chateau Inn which is walking distance from the station and a few other things. I think they still have their own fleet of beach cruisers for guest to use to ride around the village.
St. Stephen's Green on Highway 71 in Spring Lake Heights will always have music on the weekend and not a bad menu IMO. Never a cover either.
Third Avenue is nice to stroll around in town.... I know the owners of On Third Cafe and Coffee Company. A great breakfast/brunch and lunch place that does dinners on some nights.

town1.jpg

One end of Third Avenue has the Spring Lake Community House/Library...

page-header-building.jpg

with a cute little theater...

th

They are doing Godspell this weekend. We go as a family every Summer to whatever show they are putting on. I think it's Grease and Oliver this Summer. Not a bad night out.

And at the other end (heading south) you should check out the inside of St. Catherine's Church right on the Lake....(the pictures do not do it justice)

And make sure you walk across the bridges (if they're fixed and open - both are being rebuilt) of the actual Spring Lake...to get to the Church.

Last edited:
Reactions: FanuSanu52
Ride down 71 through a few towns. Plenty of places to drink and eat. Tap House is very good.

For casual bar food, The Tap House and Reef And Barrel are ok. If you just want to grab a sandwich and eat elsewhere, Joesph's Deli by the train station is very good. I like Squan Tavern for pizza or Carmen's at Pete & Elda's (about 4 miles away). Federici's (Freehold) opened a place in Belmar where Vesuvio's was and it is BYOB. Like other posters I would recommend Asbury for any number of restaurants. Pretty decent town for food these days.

Is Who's on Third still there in Spring Lake? I used to date the owner's daughter. That was some great comfort food. There was a food critic who once said that their "chicken soup can cure cancer".
That is now On Third Cafe which I linked earlier. I know those owners. Nice couple.

Ride down 71 through a few towns. Plenty of places to drink and eat. Tap House is very good.

For casual bar food, The Tap House and Reef And Barrel are ok. If you just want to grab a sandwich and eat elsewhere, Joesph's Deli by the train station is very good. I like Squan Tavern for pizza or Carmen's at Pete & Elda's (about 4 miles away). Federici's (Freehold) opened a place in Belmar where Vesuvio's was and it is BYOB. Like other posters I would recommend Asbury for any number of restaurants. Pretty decent town for food these days.
Pretty good hamburger and I think they kept the the recipe for the clam chowder from the previous place, The Porch. Know the owners of the Tap House as well. Good people. I think they own a few places, some in the City.

Anchor Tavern in Belmar is very casual, and we enjoyed it.

* It will still be very quiet this time of year.
AWESOME hamburger!

And the Beach Haus Brewery is right across the street for a tour and/or sampling.

* And yes it will be pretty quiet down here for awhile. Unless it warms up a bit and stays warm.

Last edited:
Try Parker House in neighboring Sea Girt for a nice casual dinner, or seafood raw bar (shrimp/lobster/oysters) in the early afternoon after the beach

St. Stephen's Green Publick House is great pub, Third Avenue Chocolate Shoppe if you looking for some great snacks, and Spring Lake Boardwalk is an awesome place. Love to ride my bike along Ocean Ave.

Check out Belmar and Squan for some great stuff too. Lots of great bars and restaurants in both towns. As a local, Leggett's in Squan is a personal favorite of mine.

Charlie Weis has been known to hang out at the Breakers and Rod's in Sea Girt during the summer. Avoid the Breakers on Sunday morning though. Our local congressman, Chris Smith, is holding his donor brunch. There's a protest planned by one of those opposition groups that wants a town hall so they can yell at him about Trump. They will be marching from North End to the hotel. This isn't a common thing. Spring Lake is a very quiet and friendly beach town. That's just where they decided to march.

St. Stephen's Green Publick House is great pub, Third Avenue Chocolate Shoppe if you looking for some great snacks, and Spring Lake Boardwalk is an awesome place. Love to ride my bike along Ocean Ave.

Check out Belmar and Squan for some great stuff too. Lots of great bars and restaurants in both towns. As a local, Leggett's in Squan is a personal favorite of mine.

Charlie Weis has been known to hang out at the Breakers and Rod's in Sea Girt during the summer. Avoid the Breakers on Sunday morning though. Our local congressman, Chris Smith, is holding his donor brunch. There's a protest planned by one of those opposition groups that wants a town hall so they can yell at him about Trump. They will be marching from North End to the hotel. This isn't a common thing. Spring Lake is a very quiet and friendly beach town. That's just where they decided to march.

Glad I saw this. I can't imagine it will be a huge protest. But it's good to know. I was just making plans to get down there for Saturday night/Sunday.

That is now On Third Cafe which I linked earlier. I know those owners. Nice couple.

Pretty good hamburger and I think they kept the the recipe for the clam chowder from the previous place, The Porch. Know the owners of the Tap House as well. Good people. I think they own a few places, some in the City.

AWESOME hamburger!

And the Beach Haus Brewery is right across the street for a tour and/or sampling.

* And yes it will be pretty quiet down here for awhile. Unless it warms up a bit and stays warm.

Glad to see some positive reviews of the Anchor Tavern. I've wondered about the place but have yet to wander in. I'll make it next on the list. By any chance have you been to Jersey Shore BBQ just up the block?

Glad to see some positive reviews of the Anchor Tavern. I've wondered about the place but have yet to wander in. I'll make it next on the list. By any chance have you been to Jersey Shore BBQ just up the block?
I have not. But I think it came up in a thread not too long ago.

People seem to like the roasted chicken at the Anchor along with the really good burgers. Their grilled cheese is pretty tasty too....sourdough and applewood bacon. Get it with their own soups.

I have not. But I think it came up in a thread not too long ago.

People seem to like the roasted chicken at the Anchor along with the really good burgers. Their grilled cheese is pretty tasty too....sourdough and applewood bacon. Get it with their own soups.
Pork roll and cheese sandwich is good too. Just don't order a Taylor Ham and Cheese sandwich.

Yes, I've been there, it's been about a year, but the beef brisket was very good. Also 10th Ave. Burrito is right there, actually was there just last week with my crew and it's still very good.

I don't have a dog in the fight anymore so I can say what I think.

I'm a casual dining guy. I enjoy the Squan Tavern, Four Winds, and Harrigans on 71 in Sea Girt

Have you tried Simply Southern?
No, don't know where that's at, but I did try the Local Smoke in Neptune found that to be the best. I love BBQ and that place doesn't look the best on the exterior but boy what a surprise for the belly. By the way where is it?

I'm a casual dining guy. I enjoy the Squan Tavern, Four Winds, and Harrigans on 71 in Sea Girt
That's pretty much a list for us shore old timers go to places. Four Winds I like the other two, ehhh. I always liked the Old Mill as well.

I like Rays Cafe in downtown Spring Lake. Also like Spring Lake Pizzeria. Both very casual. Have wanted to go to St Stephens and after reading this thread I am now more interested. If you get good weather I would just get on the boardwalk and start walking north and check the contrasts between the towns all they way up to Asbury. Harringtons on 71 toward Sea Girt is not bad but others might consider it loaded with old Irish people.

For really casual breakfast or lunch (a bit of drive)- try the Allenwood General Store. The place is a relic.
Meemoms in the KMart Plaza on Route 35 in Wall is always packed.

Reactions: koleszar

I once would have added Maria's to that list and called it a day for my local places, but I went there twice after she retired and it just wasn't the same. Has anyone been lately?

That's pretty much a list for us shore old timers go to places. Four Winds I like the other two, ehhh. I always liked the Old Mill as well.

Glad you liked us. I can't tell you how many times I was recognized around town by people with Mill stories. As much as my time was coming to an end anyway, I was very sad to see the restaurant close after 75+yrs.

For really casual breakfast or lunch (a bit of drive)- try the Allenwood General Store. The place is a relic.

Allenwood General Store ranks high on my list of places for pork roll egg and cheese. And it kind of looks like it could be in an episode of American Pickers. :-)

Damn, I was just there yesterday. Great homemade breakfast. I was actually there getting an antique bucket for our well that I am redoing. Had to get breakfast. That place is a hidden gem for us locals. "This isn't a Museum, This Junk is for Sale"

Reactions: Knight Shift

@knightfan7 knows what my beef is with Squan Tavern and it's not the food.

Last time at Four Winds I knew the entertainment and my meal was really good.

When Harrigans has the "special" burger on the menu order it. Delicious.

Damn, I was just there yesterday. Great homemade breakfast. I was actually there getting an antique bucket for our well that I am redoing. Had to get breakfast. That place is a hidden gem for us locals. "This isn't a Museum, This Junk is for Sale"
Last time I checked that Ronbo (Pres. Ronald Reagan's head on Rambo's body) was not hanging where it used to hang. The collection of LIfe Magazines is fun to flip through. My K-4 school was across the street.
And the Cuban sandwich made with pork roll is excellent. So is the Dirty Herbert-pork roll and onions with BBQ sauce in wrap.

Last edited:
Last time I checked that Ronbo (Pres. Ronald Reagan's head on Rambo's body) was not hanging where it used to hang. The collection of LIfe Magazines is fun to flip through. My K-4 school was across the street.
And the Cuban sandwich made with pork roll is excellent. So is the Dirty Herbert-pork roll and onions with BBQ sauce in wrap.
Know exactly where that school is at down the street. Also right down the street on Ramshorn Dr. is where we put our kayaks in the Manasquan, a lot of mornings we stop in for breakfast before we go.

Know exactly where that school is at down the street. Also right down the street on Ramshorn Dr. is where we put our kayaks in the Manasquan, a lot of mornings we stop in for breakfast before we go.
We may have talked about that. Maybe will see you one day this coming summer. We just purchased a house a little further down the road off of Ramshorn. Looking forward to riding the back path and the Allaire trails.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT