ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium Policies for Illinois Game

But what about the people who need to drink a gallon or more of water in the 3+ hours they're in their seats or they'll risk passing out from dehydration? That's a hell of a lot of juice boxes.

Reactions: RU22
in the email that Rutgers sent for the game last week it specifically said "no outside food". I know I was asked about food at the gate as well. That information, however, was not on the website.

in the email that Rutgers sent for the game last week it specifically said "no outside food". I know I was asked about food at the gate as well. That information, however, was not on the website.
Lack of consistency.

http://www.scarletknights.com/tickets/policy.html
Stadium Policy page says outside food and beverages are prohibited.

http://www.scarletknights.com/tickets/bagpolicy.html

Bag policy page and release linked at the beginning of this thread don't say that food and beverages are prohibited (other than bottles and cans).

Reactions: Leonard23
Well, regardless of the policy, I'm sticking the filet down my pants and if security asks me what the large bulge going down my leg is, I'll just tell 'em the truth: it's my big meat.

If it's a cute female security guard, I'll probably offer to share it with her.

What could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: Plum Street
Well, regardless of the policy, I'm sticking the filet down my pants and if security asks me what the large bulge going down my leg is, I'll just tell 'em the truth: it's my big meat.

If it's a cute female security guard, I'll probably offer to share it with her.

What could possibly go wrong?

make sure it is well done. I would hate to see red juice flowing down your pant leg...

make sure it is well done. I would hate to see red juice flowing down your pant leg...
True. Although I have to risk it. No way I would kill a nice piece of beef like that. I will, however, sear the outside - don't want e-coli all over my big meat.

Please do not shoot the messenger:

I just hung up with Geoff Brown who called me to discuss the stadium rules. from our conversation:

• RPD has requested no outside food or bottles for safety reasons. The bombings in NJ and Manhattan were cited as the specific reason
  • when I brought up MetLife allowing outside stuff it was pointed out that they have metal detectors
  • Pat Hobbs is aware of how distressed the fans are about this but the request is coming from police and security.
  • He was not aware that the food policy was not on the website and will have that adjusted for the next home game
  • Apparently there are signs about the food/water policy in the planters outside the stadium (I was unaware). he is going to look into getting more in other locations
  • they are also going to look at getting the bag policy out to people. while the season ticket holders might know the policy it seems a lot of other people don't and don't bother looking at the website.

Please do not shoot the messenger:

I just hung up with Geoff Brown who called me to discuss the stadium rules. from our conversation:

• RPD has requested no outside food or bottles for safety reasons. The bombings in NJ and Manhattan were cited as the specific reason
  • when I brought up MetLife allowing outside stuff it was pointed out that they have metal detectors
  • Pat Hobbs is aware of how distressed the fans are about this but the request is coming from police and security.
  • He was not aware that the food policy was not on the website and will have that adjusted for the next home game
  • Apparently there are signs about the food/water policy in the planters outside the stadium (I was unaware). he is going to look into getting more in other locations
  • they are also going to look at getting the bag policy out to people. while the season ticket holders might know the policy it seems a lot of other people don't and don't bother looking at the website.

Great post Mrs Screw. You have addressed the issues raised in this thread. Thank you for the follow up.

BTW is RPD = Rutgers Police Dept, that well known Keystone Cops organization that historically have acted as little more than night watchmen on campus ?

So the RPD has "requested" that no outside food or bottles be brought into the stadium for safety reasons since they don't have metal detectors at the entrances ? That request from RPD is driving the decision to ban all outside food and water based on unknown safety concerns ?

And it seems like Hobbs was not totally aware of the issues with the food and drink policies before reading your email ?

It sounds to me like RPD is taking one for the team here since Sodexo is not reaching their revenue goals for concessions under the current contract.

Folks, I believe that we are getting the run around here and Hobbs is not willing to take the issue head on and directly communicate with the fan base about it. Bad job by RU, IMHO.

Reactions: OTBOTOR and RU22
Thanks.
What about sealed water ?
Allowed at Yankee Satdium and Met Life ....

Great post Mrs Screw. You have addressed the issues raised in this thread. Thank you for the follow up.

BTW is RPD = Rutgers Police Dept, that well known Keystone Cops organization that historically have acted as little more than night watchmen on campus ?

So the RPD has "requested" that no outside food or bottles be brought into the stadium for safety reasons since they don't have metal detectors at the entrances ? That request from RPD is driving the decision to ban all outside food and water based on unknown safety concerns ?

And it seems like Hobbs was not totally aware of the issues with the food and drink policies before reading your email ?

It sounds to me like RPD is taking one for the team here since Sodexo is not reaching their revenue goals for concessions under the current contract.

Folks, I believe that we are getting the run around here and Hobbs is not willing to take the issue head on and directly communicate with the fan base about it. Bad job by RU, IMHO.
RPD is a fully qualified police force, and going back to my time at Rutgers, I thought they did a fine job. They are far more than night watchpersons on campus.

Dare I say they half ass the searches because they know it's a BS rule change that they couldn't fully enforce anyway?

My above post is based on comments from Geoff Brown who called me after I sent him an email about the disparity of the website (no water or bottles) vs. the email (no water/bottles or food).

I have not yet received a reply from Pat or Sarah to the email I sent them.

Something smells rotten in Piscataway .
The Security concern about not letting food in is total B$.
$odexo is not ringing their cash registers and Hobbs has caved.

If we really have Secuirty concerns then install metal detectors at HPSS.
People are smuggling weapons in their subway sandwiches. lmao

I also spoke to one of the assistant athletic directors who called me in response to my emails. He basically told me the same as Mrs. Screw was told. I also told him that the email that went out as well as scarletknights.com only mentioned that no beverages were permitted and he said the ban was on food too.

I told hIm that fans were going to be whipping out that email at the gates tomorrow when our bags of pretzels and granola bars were being confiscated.

Reactions: Leonard23
per Mrs Screws note "RPD has requested no outside food or bottles for safety reasons. The bombings in NJ and Manhattan were cited as the specific reason"

So unopened snack bags and bottles in a clear bag are a threat? I'd be more worried about what could be smuggled in in pockets or under clothes..

Reactions: RUaMoose
Thank you Mrs Screw.

To RPD: Bull Crap ! As any would be terrorist , if serious, would just put the explosive bottle of liquid or exploding hoagie down their pants .

The thing is. Food should not set off a metal detector. In fact commercial food operations typically run product through a metal detector before packaging to catch any parts that may have fallen off of the assembly line.

My Shoprite had a cart full of 20 oz bottles of water that probably came from a broken shrinkwrap pack at 25¢ each and they ALL had caps. Bought 4 in case the policy changes.

I still don't buy the security idea. It's a concession revenue issue, plain and simple. How can a factory-sealed food package be laced with poison? (Or could it be allergies?) Is the food sold in the stadium screened upon delivery? What's so bad about an empty, clear water bottle? Does any sports venue with metal detectors make people bring out their food to get scanned?

Even airport security doesn't explicitly require additional inspection for solid food. If you opt out of the nude scan for a patdown and take a bag of snacks out of your pocket, there's a good chance they won't make you put the snacks on the x-ray belt. (They also don't send passengers who opt to get patted down through a metal detector, either.)

Did that bomber from Elizabeth specifically use food packaging? Why the heck would those incidents be reasons to ban outside food, after Columbine, 9/11, Virginia Tech, Aurora, Newtown, Boston, Paris, Charleston, Brussels, Istanbul, Orlando, and all those other mass-murder incidents didn't make people worry about food? After the Virginia Tech shooting, did their security ban outside food for that specific reason?

The Somerset Patriots' ballpark bans outside food and drinks for revenue and beverage licensing reasons (although water bottles are okay). It has nothing to do with security.

Although I do think metal detectors at RU sporting events would be fair. They should install them next year if this is the case.

i have to agree with you, they're hoping for to force the fans to over pay at the concession stands, this is not a waay to make this program fan friendly, lets just see how many fannies are there for homecoming. if this keeps up we will be the temple of the big 10

Reactions: RUaMoose and RU22

well said, what a joke, This is the same RUPD that had several members (overheard as I was walking past) ask where the yellow lot was as they were standing right next to it and I had to be the one to tell them.

Complete and utter bull crap. Rutgers at its finest.

Reactions: RUaMoose and RU22
After 38k show up tomorrow there will be mandatory concession purchases per ticket implemented for the last 2 games.

5 cases of candy are already in the car. (got some excellent chocolate as well)

• a season of noon starts.
  • horrendous offense
  • no pre-game excitement
  • band (director) discretions
  • police bullying in the lots
  • bull crap rules implemented mid season by the keystone cops.

THIS IS NO FUN. WTF RU doing Rutgers?

Reactions: Abro1975 and RU22
After 38k show up tomorrow there will be mandatory concession purchases per ticket implemented for the last 2 games.

There has to be a reason why Hobbs is offering $10 concession credits to students who show up a half hour early... so they can spend a little more and Sodexo could earn a tiny bit more revenue.

There has to be a reason why Hobbs is offering $10 concession credits to students who show up a half hour early... so they can spend a little more and Sodexo could earn a tiny bit more revenue.
exactly. Sodexho hits its targets for concessions sold, Rutgers hits its targets for student turnout. Hobbs knows how to grease the wheels, and if it takes giving out $80,000 in student freebies to hit the Sodexho's revenue targets & squeeze an extra million out of them, then that's how it works.

If Sodexo provided better food at the concession stands their sales would increase.

would l
If Sodexo provided better food at the concession stands their sales would increase.

over to see the data on sales over the years..gross rev/units sold, per person, etc. The prices have completely shut me out. I like to support the efforts but I am sick of being ripped off.

We have a business program right? Do a case study on what is the perfect price-value relationship to maximize sales and profits. In game promotions for food? Family 4 packs? Buy this and get that? They treat a still home town college fan base like some corporate sponsored who cares what it cost Pro base.

Someone threw confetti after RU scored today. Is that what's replacing the Twizzlers?

And also with the bag policy: the athletic department dosen't do a good job of selling them. You have to seek them out at a few merch stands, and tote bags are the only ones available. Tote bags can be uncomfortable to carry when overloaded. Why not sell clear drawstring backpacks or wristlets? NFL teams sell them, Special Olympics gives clear drawstring bags as spinning wheel prizes at some games (but they weren't there today), and CGI Racing gives them out as the swag bags for the RU Half Marathon and all their other races (it's not just an RU thing). It would be nice to see a bigger variety of stadium bags sold in more places.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT