ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Steve Pikiell expected to receive contract extension on Friday

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
My opinion will obviously be unpopular but I dont think this was necessary. We need to stop setting this precedent that every time a coach has a good few weeks we extend them by years and millions.

extending the years by 2 (if its that) is fine for recruiting but hopefully it doesnt give more money or increase the buy out much

Kyk is right we should bring back Mike Rice.

Right thing to do. How long and how much? Gotta tie him here for several more years

Your opinion is not just unpopular it is dumb. He is about to qualify for the NCAA 3 years in a row and the one time they played due to Covid , he was a basket away from the Sweet 16. What idiot wouldn’t extend him. ? You are so obsessed with this Pike ceiling shit in your head , that when you are proven wrong over and over again , you double down. For one damn moment , put your AD thinking cap on and not your dunce cap.
Im not so sure ive been proven wrong on pike, have i? Ive always stated i think hes a great man, good coach (not nearly great) and provides us with a high floor but low ceiling

I doubt there are any actual serious suitors for Pikiell (Georgia or Louisville are not coming after Pikiell, that's insane to suggest) but I have no issues with the extension.
Pretty sure you have no idea what suitors may or may not have targeted Pikiell. Any coach that gets bottom feeder Rutgers to the 3 straight dances will have serious suitors.

Sounds like another "True freshmen guards like Jalen Miller can't play good defense in the B1G".

Pretty sure you have no idea what suitors may or may not have targeted Pikiell. Any coach that gets bottom feeder Rutgers to the 3 straight dances will have serious suitors.

Sounds like another "True freshmen guards like Jalen Miller can't play good defense in the B1G".
Ok man

This makes sense. Maybe Hobbs is finally learning his craft, but he still has a ways to go before he wipes out the stain of the improvident extension he gave Chris Ash.
This is kind of my main point. Hobbs throws out extensions and raises any time someone has a good few weeks.

This is obviously a no-brainer that was inevitable, but it's great to see it actually getting done!! Go RU!!

Reactions: Scarlet83
Not yet proven wrong but you did say he would or should be fired by 2024.
I said 2024 would be the soonest he could possibly be let go. But with how we finished this season, thats now 2025. He has the equity built up now to finish 14th 2 straight years (he wont) and still not be fired.

My opinion will obviously be unpopular but I dont think this was necessary. We need to stop setting this precedent that every time a coach has a good few weeks we extend them by years and millions.

extending the years by 2 (if its that) is fine for recruiting but hopefully it doesnt give more money or increase the buy out much

"A few good weeks" - that's fu@king hysterical. You should try saying the stuff you write out loud before posting!

So, I looked up 'no-brainer" in the online dictionary and there was a link to an article about Pike getting a contract extension. As I said in the other thread, this was inevitable but its still great to see it happening!

Im not so sure ive been proven wrong on pike, have i? Ive always stated i think hes a great man, good coach (not nearly great) and provides us with a high floor but low ceiling
Ok genius. Who are the great coaches out there ? How many in the 3 most recent years have gotten their teams to the dance ? How many took over the worst Division 1 Power 6 program in the country 3 years before that , and immediately by Year 1 and 2 had them competing harder but not yet winning enough ? By Year 3 , we outworked everybody in the league on the boards and defensively ? Recruited Ron and Paul and Cliff back to back to back the 3 arguably best NJ players and developed them all, to where one was a unanimous 2nd team All BIG 10 player , one an Honorable Mention, and the last one also Honorable Mention , an NBA talent , who has improved the most of anyone in conference with the exception of Johnny Davis and Kenan Murray .?? Please I know you are smarter than this and you love your silly takes but just open your eyes and stop thinking John Wooden is being dug up from his grave.

another idiotic take...How long does he get to raise "Your" ceiling? what's your ceiling? What's the difference between getting to the dance every year, making the sweet 16 and Elite 8's sometimes? (Do you not think that if Johnson completes the dunk we couldn't actually have made the final 4 with the teams we had to play last year?). So if that happens you would be good? LOL Please stop this. But for the record, since you will continue this nonsense for years (Now that our guy is getting the extension he deserves) what is your ceiling? Layout what would make KYK satisfied with Pike's body of work over a 5 year period let's say...

I've been as critical of Pike's recruiting as anyone. Here is my Mea Culpa. Pikiell deserves every penny and it will keep the vultures away. Realistically the only program that I could see him considering would be Louisville or UCLA (if louisville snags Mick Cronin). If he is paid well, has a good relationship with the AD, and has any kind of commitment to upgrade the RAC a bit more, it would make no sense for him to leave for any other program other than a blue blood.

Regarding his recruiting, it fits his system. Would I love to see higher rated players? 100%. Do I want some dead weight cleared from this roster? 100%. But you can't argue with the results. Mulcahy and Cliff were top players in NJ, RHJ was a late bloomer but a 4 star. Let's add a few more especially with the talent in NJ on the 23 and 24 horizon.

We were victimized by the portal this year and didn't do a great job replacing that talent, but again the results don't lie and even if you look at the guys who left, it's clear that Pikiell has an eye for talent. I'll throw out Souf and Bullock bc they never belonged in D1, and Doucore was a ratings miss and belongs at a low to mid major, but the rest of the transfers on Pike's watch have been major players in their next life. Let's review

Peter Kiss - leading NCAA in scoring, dancing
Eugene Omuruyi - danced, NBA, probably tampered with
JY - bonafide starter for Oregon, he followed his brother's talent, bubble will burst
Myles Johnson - gave us four years including RS, and just a different kind of kid, top 4 seed w/ UCLA
Tez - 4 star recruit, mercurial, selfish, wanted minutes, got them at SJU, played very well, and can now play in the NIT (my main surprise is that Jaden Jones didn't get any of the minutes he left behind)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80

You’ve actually stated that he’s just an average coach - I remember this very well because I listed all of the coaches in the BIG10 that he’s beaten and said that they disagree that he’s just average.

It’s hard to be wrong when you change your narrative c’mon kyk!

To help the unaware or people who live in a vacuum.

USC head coach Andy Enfield also earned an extension out to 2027-28 earlier today. His name was directly linked to the opening at Maryland, since Enfield has ties to both his native Pennsylvania and time in Maryland.

Coaches like Pike, are in demand when openings happen and will start to happen across the country. My educated guess is a school or more than 1 school, requested permission to inquire about the interest of whatever job may not be open or is already open. Enfield earned his extension, because his name surfaced at Maryland. I am not saying that Maryland, Louisville or others have reached out to Pike's agent, but you would have to be living under a rock, to believe otherwise.

If I went down the list of coaches who are successful, and have elevated dormant programs, there are very few coaches who fit that profile. I am guessing (not really guessing), that Pike's name was asked about by multiple search firms, in regards to offers elsewhere.

So you either have 2 choices if you are Pat Hobbs and RU

A) you allow another school to set the market for your Head Coach and allow him to be poached, which to me, is an immediate "I would fire Hobbs today", if he allowed Pike to leave for more years and or slightly more money.

OR

B) You extend him an additional couple of years, maybe with a raise for Pike, or maybe a slightly more attractive assistant coaching pool, so you reward the entire staff.

I am not the smartest guy, but the choice is relatively easy....give Pike the extension that he and the staff has earned.

The last time this came up as being too soon or foolish was around 2 years ago, as RU was battling to make their 1st NCAA appearance and Pike got his extension in February 2020. Obviously the pandemic hit, but he has put together 3 straight NCAA caliber rosters in a row.

If you wait, the price rarely goes anything other than UP.....I don't see the downside here, whatsoever......

You’ve actually stated that he’s just an average coach - I remember this very well because I listed all of the coaches in the BIG10 that he’s beaten and said that they disagree that he’s just average.

It’s hard to be wrong when you change your narrative c’mon kyk!
Good and average, same thing. Great, average, bad. Pike is an average coach. Everyone here just thinks hes great because the bar was buried. The programs ceiling is far higher than most are willing to acknowledge.

Would like to see the terms of the extension. He still had a few more years on his existing deal. Looks like only one job (Maryland) opening up in the B1G this year. I am sure he and his agent would not have any difficulty generating interest as a candidate for an open job elsewhere. Whether that leverage is what is prompting this or Hobbs views this as a proactive move, we will never know. He is looking at a significant roster overhaul to keep the momentum going into next year. I am watching Syracuse destroy Florida State and thinking we need a guy with Cole Swider skills from the portal this offseason.

Good and average, same thing. Great, average, bad. Pike is an average coach. Everyone here just thinks hes great because the bar was buried. The programs ceiling is far higher than most are willing to acknowledge.

Lol so If Pikiell is just an Average coach in your ratings.

Serious question - What does that make your boy Mike Boynton (who you’ve stated multiple times you would want to replace Pikiell).

Mike Boynton is sitting at 15-15 and 8-10 in an inferior conference to the BIG10. That is Average!

Your opinion about Pike, regardless of popularity, is simply wrong. Pike easily deserves an extension and a raise.

If you don't reward people for great performance in their jobs, then someone else will. You're confusing rewarding coaches that perhaps haven't demonstrated great performance with rewarding Pike, who has.
Spot on as usual!

To help the unaware or people who live in a vacuum.

USC head coach Andy Enfield also earned an extension out to 2027-28 earlier today. His name was directly linked to the opening at Maryland, since Enfield has ties to both his native Pennsylvania and time in Maryland.

Coaches like Pike, are in demand when openings happen and will start to happen across the country. My educated guess is a school or more than 1 school, requested permission to inquire about the interest of whatever job may not be open or is already open. Enfield earned his extension, because his name surfaced at Maryland. I am not saying that Maryland, Louisville or others have reached out to Pike's agent, but you would have to be living under a rock, to believe otherwise.

If I went down the list of coaches who are successful, and have elevated dormant programs, there are very few coaches who fit that profile. I am guessing (not really guessing), that Pike's name was asked about by multiple search firms, in regards to offers elsewhere.

So you either have 2 choices if you are Pat Hobbs and RU

A) you allow another school to set the market for your Head Coach and allow him to be poached, which to me, is an immediate "I would fire Hobbs today", if he allowed Pike to leave for more years and or slightly more money.

OR

B) You extend him an additional couple of years, maybe with a raise for Pike, or maybe a slightly more attractive assistant coaching pool, so you reward the entire staff.

I am not the smartest guy, but the choice is relatively easy....give Pike the extension that he and the staff has earned.

The last time this came up as being too soon or foolish was around 2 years ago, as RU was battling to make their 1st NCAA appearance and Pike got his extension in February 2020. Obviously the pandemic hit, but he has put together 3 straight NCAA caliber rosters in a row.

If you wait, the price rarely goes anything other than UP.....I don't see the downside here, whatsoever......
Agree, a no brainer. Give Pike a raise and extension.

Let me simplify it for you......what is your logical (I am stressing "logical ") explanation that Pat Hobbs has for RU and just normal College Basketball fans, if Pike received an offer from another Power 5 school and left...

I'll wait......

Lol so If Pikiell is just an Average coach in your ratings.

Serious question - What does that make your boy Mike Boynton (who you’ve stated multiple times you would want to replace Pikiell).

Mike Boynton is sitting at 15-15 and 8-10 in an inferior conference to the BIG10. That is Average!
1) the big 12 was better than the big ten this year, (not opinion, fact) and frankly it wasnt even that close
2) you do realize that boynton has been having to run a program under sanctions and a postseason ban from brad underwood right? (You dont of course). https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...f-case-tied-to-fbi-bribery-investigation/amp/

so to go 8-10 in the best conference in america and beat the #1 team in the country in the portal era when it was known you had a postseason ban aint too bad, huh? (They also finished 38th in kenpom while we were in the 70’s lol)

Reactions: RUsojo

Much like those idiots who said that Michigan would never go after Schiano. He hasn't even won his conference. It is incredible how little understanding they have of college athletics. People have noticed how good of a coach Pike is. Without landing top recruits we have a double bye in the B1G tourny. That's coaching and developing players. Jeezus.

Great news to start a thread with misguided OP comments.

I would love to see how this thread ages if RU makes a deep run in March.

Coaches P’s agent was probably already getting inquiries from programs with openings or on the verge of openings.

RU needed to act and it did.

GO RU

Again, people said said GS was an average coach, look at his record. Yet Michigan, Miami and others were after him. Guess what genius, winning at RU is hard for any number of reasons. You find a guy who can do that, lock him up. The next guy is highly likely not to be as good. Your simplistic takes on things is astonishing. Let's just say you would be a horrible AD.

1) the big 12 was better than the big ten this year, (not opinion, fact) and frankly it wasnt even that close
2) you do realize that boynton has been having to run a program under sanctions and a postseason ban from brad underwood right? (You dont of course). https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...f-case-tied-to-fbi-bribery-investigation/amp/

so to go 8-10 in the best conference in america and beat the #1 team in the country in the portal era when it was known you had a postseason ban aint too bad, huh? (They also finished 38th in kenpom while we were in the 70’s lol)

Let's assume everything you said here is correct....

A) wouldn't RU have to pay way more to Boynton to leave Oklahoma State....

B) Wouldn't whatever anyone pays to Boynton be way more than he's worth right now, he has a far thinner resume than Pike.

C) if the Big 12 is the best, why would anyone leave that league for another place elsewhere.....??

If you just take the "L" again, it's just easier that way.....

Never said that, nope. Ive said that hobbs hands out extensions following a good few weeks. Did it with chris ash as well
That is an extremely myopic and totally incorrect view of Ash's extension.

"Among national pundits, the move was considered necessary considering head football coaches rarely head into the third year of a five-year contract unless the school is lukewarm about the coach’s future.
As it turned out, Rutgers was contractually obligated to do so as well.
Ash’s initial contract assured he would have years added to his deal in the event that his Rutgers football program was handcuffed with NCAA sanctions that weren't from his doing.

24880607-standard.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thegock and mildone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT