ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Steve Pikiell expected to receive contract extension on Friday

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
I love that @kyk1827 thinks the extension was an award for a few good weeks, when actually there have been plenty of good weeks; however, his own (apparently irreversible) negative opinion of Pike was formed after just a few bad weeks.
Has more to do with hobbs being extension happy any time a coach has a few good weeks in a row. I just hope this is years and doesnt increase the buyout. Pike has had a very good 6 years compared to where we were, we didnt even have a bar prior to him

Has more to do with hobbs being extension happy any time a coach has a few good weeks in a row. I just hope this is years and doesnt increase the buyout. Pike has had a very good 6 years compared to where we were, we didnt even have a bar prior to him
Few good weeks?
We are about to make the tourney for the 3rd straight year

Come on now….stop

I mentioned earlier with all that we have going for us $$$, facility, home court, fan support, conference, fertile recruiting grounds our ceiling should be a natty but id settle for an elite 8 here and there.

seriously with all that its kinda wild how poor recruiting is, no? Can we at least agree there? This program sells itself
Did you really just say, "this program sells itself" ? Rutgers basketball sells itself??

Did we just reach Blue blood status?

You should really stop with these takes.

I’m telling you we are behind the curve in recruiting due to NIL. Wish you knew how to read what I posted earlier. My friend is very connected and if you want recruits you need to show them ways they can get paid

so while you can say the program has support and can sell itself its this aspect that is missing. Also, not sure what kind of wholesale institutional support we have on donors compared to other schools

I liked the Pike hire because had success building a program as a HC before he got here. He has successfully built RU up. Extensions are common so maybe we had to do it but I don't how many years he still has and how many he is getting. Are we in the tournament if we lose Friday? I think it is dicey. If we don't make the dance and don't bring in some good transfers this might not age well. Really hope we win Friday and then some and the extension looks genius.

At this point, I think many will agree that on the topic of college basketball (at least), kyk is essentially a troll.
Or to phrase it differently …. he throws out takes that are super reactive and/or borderline dumb, and obviously unpopular and meant to antagonize at least to some degree. But to him these takes are so obviously true. Most everybody responds “dude, you’re dumb”, kyk doubles down on why he’s right AND references his great track record with previous predictions (of course this supposedly great track record only known to him).
Do I paint an accurate picture or do I exaggerate?
If I do paint a pretty accurate picture …. eventually gotta stop feeding the troll.

With all that we have going for us $$$, facility, home court, fan support, conference, fertile recruiting grounds our ceiling should be a natty. I think pikes ceiling is near the bubble and first weekend as ive said forever. I root to be wrong
This current team is capable of beating anyone in the country except probably Gonzaga. This team could easily go on a run during the Tournament and end up in the Final Four, and guys who follow basketball for a living like Andy Katz and Jon Rothstein would tell you they are not surprised and would also tell you that Pike is a very good coach. It is way too early to speculate about next year, but there is more talent returning than you think and lots of potential growth in individual players. And I have asked this a number of times, but if you don’t like Pike, what is the alternative? Yes, there are a handful of coaches that you can argue are better, like Jay Wright, but he is not coming to Rutgers. The best the peanut gallery can come up with is Rick Pitino, who for a host of reasons we would never hire, or even more ridiculous suggestions like Mike Boynton, who’s program wI’ll probably get suspended again when they look into Cade Cunningham’s recruitment. I honestly don’t see a clearly better coach for Rutgers that we can realistically go out and get.

Good move by Hobbs. Pike has earned every penny.

We are lucky the BIG10 coaching situation is pretty stable right now or some bigger name might go after him.

Nebraska and Maryland will have openings but not sure anyone else will. Pike would never go to Nebraska and I think the Terps will go for a big name. I guess there is a chance Howard is gone but haven't heard anything.

New coaches all look solid. Shrewsberry did a good job and so did Ben Johnson under difficult circumstances. Jury still out on Woodson at IU.

Reactions: RUBOB72
I mentioned earlier with all that we have going for us $$$, facility, home court, fan support, conference, fertile recruiting grounds our ceiling should be a natty but id settle for an elite 8 here and there.

seriously with all that its kinda wild how poor recruiting is, no? Can we at least agree there? This program sells
Our recruiting is fine. you are so focus on recruiting yet ignoring that we have gotten better each and every year.

when you say thing like settle for an elite 8 have you looked how long it took other coaches to get to the elite 8 at much better programs?

you sound ignorant when you say such silly things.

Reactions: TRU2RU
With all that we have going for us $$$, facility, home court, fan support, conference, fertile recruiting grounds our ceiling should be a natty. I think pikes ceiling is near the bubble and first weekend as ive said forever. I root to be wrong

and why do we have all the stuff you mention?

Pikiell

Recruiting is soooo bad, we finished 4th in the Big Ten.

So that would mean Pike is phenomenal gameday coach….getting 4th with terrible recruits…right?

Our recruiting is fine. you are so focus on recruiting yet ignoring that we have gotten better each and every year.

when you say thing like settle for an elite 8 have you looked how long it took other coaches to get to the elite 8 at much better programs?

you sound ignorant when you say such silly things.
You think reaching an elite 8 is too much to ask? Im not even saying every year or heck even every 5 years for that matter. I dont like how comfortable this fan base is with how low they approve of the ceiling being. If we never exit the first weekend people will still want to build this guy a statue

and why do we have all the stuff you mention?

Pikiell
Of all the things mentioned we only have increased fan support because of pike. The rest was here pike or not. $$, location, conference, facility.

Bro Pikiell is closer to having a natty ceiling than Schiano.

Does that mean we should get rid of Schiano?

The more you post on this topic the more ridiculous you sound lol.

Reactions: TRU2RU and mugrat86
Its right until its wrong, right? And i hope to be wrong fyi. But looking forward what makes you believe the ceiling is higher? Jimmy and joes do matter sir
You have not been “right” about anything basketball related, other than Pike seems like a great guy. You’ve appeared to hit that nail right on the head. But otherwise, just give it up. I mean it’s a repeated swing and a whiff with you. Cue your “low ceiling, hasn’t accomplished anything, let’s build him a statue schtick.” Speaking of Willard and Seton Hall, why don’t you take your low basketball IQ, wild takes, and opinions over to their board. You can rekindle your love of the Pirates and I’m sure they’d welcome you with open arms.

Last edited:
Bro Pikiell is closer to having a natty ceiling than Schiano.

Does that mean we should get rid of Schiano?

The more you post on this topic the more ridiculous you sound lol.
Youre trying too hard here. Any basketball coach here should have a better chance at a natty than the football coach. Basketball all it takes is 2 great players. Football takes not only 20+ great players but then also very good backups on the 2 deep. You always try so hard

Youre trying too hard here. Any basketball coach here should have a better chance at a natty than the football coach. Basketball all it takes is 2 great players. Football takes not only 20+ great players but then also very good backups on the 2 deep. You always try so hard

Just 2 great players to win a natty?

Also in the grand scheme of things it’s not any harder because all Football coaches have to build a similar team relative to other coaches. Schiano has been at Rutgers for how many years total to build out his 2 deep? If anything basketball is harder because you have way more competition (i.e. a basketball only school like Nova or Gonzaga).

Bro the more you post in this thread the worse you sound.

You think I’m trying too hard but you literally are making zero sense lol this is great.

Also in the grand scheme of things it’s not any harder because all Football coaches have to build a similar team relative to other coaches. Schiano has been at Rutgers for how many years total to build out his 2 deep? If anything basketball is harder because you have way more competition (i.e. a basketball only school like Nova or Gonzaga).

You think I’m trying too hard but you literally are making zero sense lol this is great.
So,.the latest is:

1. Only need Two great players to win the National Championship.

2. Rutgers sells itself. I.e. We are now a Blue Blood.

Reactions: S_Janowski
If Rutgers sells itself, and you feel recruiting is bad, you must feel Pike is a net negative in recruiting despite being a great guy. You really do come across as an idiot on this topic. You've made your opinion known, you can stop digging.

Iowa hasn't made the sweet 16 since 1999. Should they fire Fran?

Painter only has one elite eight. Should he be fired?

Holtmann hasn't reached the sweet 16 yet at Ohio State. Heat up that seat if they miss it again?

Izzo can stay.

If Rutgers sells itself, and you feel recruiting is bad, you must feel Pike is a net negative in recruiting despite being a great guy. You really do come across as an idiot on this topic. You've made your opinion known, you can stop digging.

Iowa hasn't made the sweet 16 since 1999. Should they fire Fran?

Painter only has one elite eight. Should he be fired?

Holtmann hasn't reached the sweet 16 yet at Ohio State. Heat up that seat if they miss it again?

Izzo can stay.
Nope, Izzo's gotta go. No Natty since 2000.

Reactions: patk89

Hahaha youre trying to compare building a football roster to basketball LOL. Youre reachhhhhhhing so bad. The football rebuild off ash is harder than the bball rebuild off eddie fyi.

Hahaha youre trying to compare building a football roster to basketball LOL. Youre reachhhhhhhing so bad. The football rebuild off ash is harder than the bball rebuild off eddie fyi.

No I’m not. I’m comparing the general concept how hard it is for a basketball coach to win a natty (against other basketball coaches) vs. how hard it is for a football coach (against other football coaches).

There is a greater population of basketball coaches/schools than football. Which means there is greater competition. Hence it is more difficult.

Pikiell’s ceiling is closer to a natty than Schiano. You want to get rid of Pikiell - so you should also want to get rid of Schiano.

Are you able to follow that simple logic? I’m trying to dumb down this conversation as much as I can to show your take on Pikiell is dumb af lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
IMO the floor for a successful season this year is making the NCAA tournament again. I think that was a very reasonable expectation given who we had (or could have had) coming back. While we are now in pretty good shape to reach that floor it has been a volatile ride. Overall we have been more fortunate than unfortunate this year. Harper has won two games alone with last second shots and just this past week the last two games could have easily went the other way. I don't blame him for Paul's flagrant foul but the inability to inbound the ball with 7 seconds left against PSU is on him. Now having said that, if you want to be fair, Pike gets the credit when breaks go RU's way just like he takes the criticism when things go adversely.

Ideally I would have waited until after selection Sunday to extend him because if for some reason we don't make it, I would have a different view on his entire body of work for this season. That doesn't mean I don't think he has done a good job or that he should be fired, but at some point we need to stop the comparisons to our futility before he arrived. He has already been extended to reflect the initial turnaround.

It is more challenging than ever to project the teams prospects from year to year. I certainly would not have the same bar for a successful season next year based on who is eligible to return from the current roster and recruits signed thus far. The fact that I don't feel that way does create some pause on the extension. Those looking for upgrades in the assistant coach staff are likely to be disappointed as I don't expect Pike to let anyone go particularly Hobbs or Knight. I was ecstatic when both of these guys were initially hired and believe BK had a very good reputation as a recruiter.

In the current environment you not only need to recruit new players but re-recruit your existing roster given the ease of transferring. I expect other schools to make overtures to Cliff and try to sell him both on enhancing his path to NBA and perhaps offering a strong NIL deal. This is the new reality of college athletics and while having nice facilities, being in a good conference, playing in a raucous home gym, and recent success should be enough for Pike to keep the talent flowing in, in certain situations it will not be enough. He needs to figure out a strategy to keep us relevant going forward. Our belief that he can do should be the basis for an extension at this time.

No I’m not. I’m comparing the general concept how hard it is for a basketball coach to win a natty (against other basketball coaches) vs. how hard it is for a football coach (against other coaches football).

There is a greater population of basketball coaches/schools than football. Which means there is greater competition. Hence it is more difficult.

Pikiell’s ceiling is closer to a natty than Schiano. You want to get rid of Pikiell - so you should also want to get rid of Schiano.

Are you able to follow that simple logic? I’m trying to dumb down this conversation as much as I can to show your take on Pikiell is dumb af lol.
All time bad take to say its harder to win a bball natty than a football natty considering the variance of teams that make the final 4’s in each sport. Bad. Not good. Trying too hard again

also as the cfp currently stands, i dont think football’s ceiling is a natty, i think its a rose bowl and having an iowa type of program. You are trying to compare bball to football LOLLL

Since 2000, the Big 10 had won two basketball national championships (and that is giving credit to Maryland, who was in the ACC when they did it) and two football national championships. Since 2010, the Big 10 has won zero basketball national championships, and 1 football national championship. So no, it is not easier to win a basketball national championship than a football national championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: S_Janowski
i mean, come on man.......we went from "i don't teach rebounding" eddie jordan.......to a man who is grateful for the opportunity he was given as the head coach of ru.....not being an alum but ,from an old big east rival u-conn..
this is a pretty amazing story when you think about it........this program was the dumpster fire of all dumpster fires.........it was depressing and, an embarrassment for the university...............as for pike being a better recruiter...please.......pike is a stand up guy not a snake oil jack off..........when the schools rep improves with positive press ,so will the recruiting........success breeds success.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
All time bad take to say its harder to win a bball natty than a football natty considering the variance of teams that make the final 4’s in each sport. Bad. Not good. Trying too hard again

also as the cfp currently stands, i dont think football’s ceiling is a natty, i think its a rose bowl and having an iowa type of program. You are trying to compare bball to football LOLLL

so Schiano’s ceiling is rose bowl? Pike’s is sweet 16? Since we were a possession away last year.

really not too much of a difference between the two

A four-star power forward, Yalden is one of the top players being recruited by Rutgers for the class of 2023. Yalden shared with ‘Rutgers Wire’ his thoughts on Pikiell’s extension:

“The same week that Aaron Rodgers shared that he would be staying with the Packers, coach Pikiell locked in his future as head coach at Rutgers,” Yalden said. “Winners know when they’ve found a home!”

And this is why Pike was extended. Let's bring in a big 23 and 24 class

Reactions: Zak57
Since 2000, the Big 10 had won two basketball national championships (and that is giving credit to Maryland, who has in the ACC when they did it) and two football national championships. Since 2010, the Big 10 has won zero basketball national championships, and 1 football national championship. So no, it is not easier to win a basketball national championship than a football national championship.
How many schools have been in the CFP since it started in 2014? How many schools have been to the bball final four since 2014? Wow haha you guys are so bad at this.

cfp has been around for 8 seasons. Clemson has made the final 4 6x, bama 7x. Has a bball team come close to that the past 8 years? 🤡

How many schools have been in the CFP since it started in 2014? How many schools have been to the bball final four since 2014? Wow haha you guys are so bad at this.

cfp has been around for 8 seasons. Clemson has made the final 4 6x, bama 7x. Has a bball team come close to that the past 8 years? 🤡

Bro that is literally proving my point.

There is wayyyy more competition when it comes to basketball because there are more schools to battle a national championship for (non-football like Nova, Gonzaga, SHU).

By you saying there have been more different teams in the final 4 for basketball than football is proving my exact point lol omg you’re the gift that keeps on giving!

Waiiit I think I figured out where @kyk1827 is coming from.

Rutgers basketball “sells” itself and we are so flush with cash that there are bags of $ waiting under the RAC for all of the national top 25 recruits in NJ year in and year out.

But the problem we have is that Pikiell, while being a “great” guy, is just an “average” coach - so these blue chip recruits leave NJ year in and year out to go to the blue blood schools for their bags of money.

hahahahaha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT