ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Steve Pikiell expected to receive contract extension on Friday

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
Im not so sure ive been proven wrong on pike, have i? Ive always stated i think hes a great man, good coach (not nearly great) and provides us with a high floor but low ceiling
You need to realize we have decades to go to possibly become a blue blood. We still need to develop three and four year players and win consistently year in an year out before we raise the ceiling to sweet 16 or better 3 out of 5 years and dancing every year and recruiting 5 star players. Pike is the man for that.

1) the big 12 was better than the big ten this year, (not opinion, fact) and frankly it wasnt even that close
2) you do realize that boynton has been having to run a program under sanctions and a postseason ban from brad underwood right? (You dont of course). https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...f-case-tied-to-fbi-bribery-investigation/amp/

so to go 8-10 in the best conference in america and beat the #1 team in the country in the portal era when it was known you had a postseason ban aint too bad, huh? (They also finished 38th in kenpom while we were in the 70’s lol)
Which is harder: take over a team under NCAA sanctions
or
take over a team coached by Eddie Jordan?

Good and average, same thing. Great, average, bad. Pike is an average coach. Everyone here just thinks hes great because the bar was buried. The programs ceiling is far higher than most are willing to acknowledge.

People rag on RutgersAl for his ridiculous upset alerts that are often disconnected from reality. I give RutgersAl a pass as I take it he’s just a super positive fan and believes the best AND I don’t really think he fully believes what he’s saying, …. he’s more putting out what he HOPES will happen. (I’m basing this off of older threads as I stopped reading his threads this year and probably last year too).
Kyk on the other hand….since the start of basketball season kyk has elevated himself to legendary status (obviously in a bad way). His takes have been continuously short sighted, reactionary, and just horrendous. But, unlike my opinion on RutgersAl, kyk fully believes and supports his incorrect and out of touch takes, doubling down all the time.

Sorry my post didn’t take.
Let me ask this - if we lost to Penn State Sunday what would everyone be saying?

Sorry my post didn’t take.
Let me ask this - if we lost to Penn State Sunday what would everyone be saying?
There’s quite a few teams who have won/lost many games by a basket or less in the big 10. Even more by 2 baskets. Is it luck or coaches skill or a combination? Rutgers could have won or lost 5 additional games had the ball bounced differently.

you gotta go by the season and wins. It’s all that matters.

Never said that, nope. Ive said that hobbs hands out extensions following a good few weeks. Did it with chris ash as well
check your facts.
Ash's extension was a contractual obligation, made when he was first hired, not for having a good few weeks,
When Ash took the job and signed his original contract , it had a clause in it that extended his stay if RU received any punishment from the NCAA for possible violations being investigated that happened under Flood.
No one knew what the NCAA would do, so that extension clause was put in place to make sure the possibility of a severe reprimand from the NCAA wouldn't scare Ash away.

After Ash became HC the NCAA handed down punishment to RU because of the violations Flood was found to have committed, so the extension you claimed was for having a few good weeks was realty a contractual that was set in place before Ash even coached his first game as the RU FB HC.

As for Pike new extension , he's earned because of attendance, team play and the enthusiam surrounding RU MBB since he arrived and how respected RU has become with this season's play against top programs

Reactions: Scangg and TRU2RU
This shouldn't come as a surprise we gave the women's coach millions and she's 100 years old, hasn't won in years, and disappeared

My personal opinion is you should always lean toward extending your coach provided you are always willing to move quickly with a buyout if things get bad.

Extensions are no brainer, positive PR moves.

If the ceiling is a double bye in the B1G with a chance to actually win it, plus beating all of those ranked teams this season and a legit shot at a 2nd weekend appearance in the NCAA this year, the third straight year we deserve/earn a bid... sign me up!

My take on Pike may be a little over the top, but it is very sincere. I'm a Rutgers alum and have been a season ticket holder for more than thirty years. In a relatively short time, this man led us out of the college basketball wilderness - tundra, desert - call it what you want, we were buried there. Many coaches tried, he got it done. I could spend a couple paragraphs listing his accomplishments on the court, but we all know them and they are impressive. Just as impressive to me is what a great guy he is and what a wonderful ambassador for RU, not just the basketball program but the entire athletic department and the school in general. I remember reading Morgan Wooten's book on basketball coaching a while back, and there was just as much in there about building a program as there was about X's and O's. Pike is building a PROGRAM and now there is an impressive foundation in place. At the same time, he is a great representative of all things RU. I am very proud he is our coach and I literally wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the country. Go RU!!!

Last edited:
I said 2024 would be the soonest he could possibly be let go. But with how we finished this season, thats now 2025. He has the equity built up now to finish 14th 2 straight years (he wont) and still not be fired.
You did start a thread right before the Purdue game we won thst this was the beginning of the end for pike.
You whiffed this year on pike terribly. Take the hit. Many of us also whiffed.

1) the big 12 was better than the big ten this year, (not opinion, fact) and frankly it wasnt even that close
2) you do realize that boynton has been having to run a program under sanctions and a postseason ban from brad underwood right? (You dont of course). https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...f-case-tied-to-fbi-bribery-investigation/amp/

so to go 8-10 in the best conference in america and beat the #1 team in the country in the portal era when it was known you had a postseason ban aint too bad, huh? (They also finished 38th in kenpom while we were in the 70’s lol)

Few things:

1) You never actually answered my one and only question. If Pikiell is just average, what does that make Boynton?

2) I’m well aware of what Boyton is up against but that doesn’t even remotely compare to what Steve Pikiell was up against 6 years ago LOL. Rutgers was literally the worst Power 6 program, has minimal history and has no where near the support or funding, especially 6 years ago.

3) BIG12 has some powerful teams but it’s not as big or deep as the BIG10. You can give me any efficiency ratings you want but I still think from top to bottom, night in and night out the BIG10 is the deepest and most physical conference.

4) Where does Boynton sit on your coach rating? You want him to replace Pikiell but he’s 15-15 and 8-10. Surely he’s no higher than just average, if that’s what Pikiell is in your eyes.

My take on Pike may be a little over the top, but it is very sincere. I'm a Rutgers alum and have been a season ticket holder for more than thirty years. In a relatively short time, this man led us out of the college basketball wilderness - tundra, desert - call it what you want, we were buried there. Many coaches tried, he got it done. I could spend a couple paragraphs listing his accomplishments on the court, but we all know them and they are impressive. Just as impressive to me is what a great guy he is and what a wonderful ambassador for RU, not just the basketball program but the entire athletic department and the school in general. I remember reading Mogan Wooten's book on basketball coaching a while back, and there was just as much in there about building a program as there was about X's and O's. Pike is building a PROGRAM and now there is an impressive foundation in place. At the same time, he is a great representative of all things RU. I am very proud he is our coach and I literally wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the country. Go RU!!!
Good post. Totally agree.

I also think that he's still improving, as a coach, year by year. I don't think he's done learning and growing and it seems very clear that he's not too stubborn to adapt during the season or during games. All of these things are great signs for the future.

This shouldn't come as a surprise we gave the women's coach millions and she's 100 years old, hasn't won in years, and disappeared
$2.6 million. is what Steve makes a year.
The RU Woman's basketball coach makes $1.1 mil a year.
As for not winning 78-36 last 4 years and Tourney experiences in those years with the 3rd shot
not there only because the Tourney was canceled that year.

Apples and Oranges because maybe the RU WBB HC seemed ( later came out) to have had some issues that might have made her extention placed on hold if known before signing
But Steve deserves his and there should be no ( honest) comparison between the two.

A few good weeks? F*cking WHAT?!

These are the Big Ten tournament seedings for Rutgers since Pike was hired. Oh, and by the way, Rutgers is also only 1 out of 6 B1G teams that has won at least 10 conference games in each of the past three years. And, I would add, if we make the NCAA tournament this year, it will be the first time IN 45 YEARS that Rutgers has made back to back NCAA tournaments, and frankly, that mark was achieved last year since we all know we were getting a bid in 2020, so this year is actually THREE straight years. I'm not sure that has EVER happened.

I'd say that's six good YEARS right there, building a program from literally the depths of Division 1 to a very good Big Ten program. Maybe not elite just yet, but very good.

There's no reason NOT to extend him and give him a raise, and every reason to DO SO, because good programs will be targeting him this offseason.

My take on Pike may be a little over the top, but it is very sincere. I'm a Rutgers alum and have been a season ticket holder for more than thirty years. In a relatively short time, this man led us out of the college basketball wilderness - tundra, desert - call it what you want, we were buried there. Many coaches tried, he got it done. I could spend a couple paragraphs listing his accomplishments on the court, but we all know them and they are impressive. Just as impressive to me is what a great guy he is and what a wonderful ambassador for RU, not just the basketball program but the entire athletic department and the school in general. I remember reading Mogan Wooten's book on basketball coaching a while back, and there was just as much in there about building a program as there was about X's and O's. Pike is building a PROGRAM and now there is an impressive foundation in place. At the same time, he is a great representative of all things RU. I am very proud he is our coach and I literally wouldn't trade him for any other coach in the country. Go RU!!!
Not even Rick Pitino? 😜 🤣

You did start a thread right before the Purdue game we won thst this was the beginning of the end for pike.
I dont think hes going anywhere. I just think the fanbases judgement thinks hes this statue worthy coach simply because the bar was buried. I dont think he is imo. I think hes an average coach.

Few things:

1) You never actually answered my one and only question. If Pikiell is just average, what does that make Boynton?

2) I’m well aware of what Boyton is up against but that doesn’t even remotely compare to what Steve Pikiell was up against 6 years ago LOL. Rutgers was literally the worst Power 6 program, has minimal history and has no where near the support or funding, especially 6 years ago.

3) BIG12 has some powerful teams but it’s not as big or deep as the BIG10. You can give me any efficiency ratings you want but I still think from top to bottom, night in and night out the BIG10 is the deepest and most physical conference.

4) Where does Boynton sit on your coach rating? You want him to replace Pikiell but he’s 15-15 and 8-10. Surely he’s no higher than just average, if that’s what Pikiell is in your eyes.
Boynton is an average coach right now but provides a much higher ceiling. I mean shit, he already coached a team to a 4 seed in the tourney. Pikes at his ceiling. Weve seen it.

2) you had no idea about ok st’s sanctions so dont lie. We also pay pike more than boynton and have one of the nicest facilities in america.

3) im just providing objective data, thats all.

4) id take boynton over pike. He provides a much higher ceiling and can recruit.

Boynton is an average coach right now but provides a much higher ceiling. I mean shit, he already coached a team to a 4 seed in the tourney. Pikes at his ceiling. Weve seen it.

2) you had no idea about ok st’s sanctions so dont lie. We also pay pike more than boynton and have one of the nicest facilities in america.

4) id take boynton over pike. He provides a much higher ceiling and can recruit.
Doubling down on stupid. Come on man. Walk away. Lick your wounds. Basketball is not your strength son. Stick to real estate.

Double-bye in the Big Ten tournament is clearly a low ceiling, Kyk is right. He won’t be satisfied with Pikiell’s coaching job until the Big Ten adds a Triple-bye for just 1 team and we get it and we don’t play until Saturday. Until then we haven’t reached the true ceiling because Pike’s is too low.

Also, maybe you can say we did great in the “overall” standings, but did we really do good in any individual games? Beating #11, 12, 12 again, 14, and 16 in the country is clearly a low ceiling. We couldn’t even beat #1??… oh wait we did. But that ceiling is also clearly low, Kyk won’t accept Pike until we beat #0

This was a necessity...creates less confusion for recruits if he will be here or not and gives us stability in the program rather than seeing him capitalize on recent accomplishments and jump ship

That said, all I see on here is btching about recruitingwant to help?

Just posted this on TOS:

All I see are posts that criticize our recruiting and what the coaches are capable of in pulling in top recruits. Look no further than the comments made about Pike. Now with the contract extension, some will be even more critical pointing to recruiting yet again.

I have a friend who runs sports camps and talked to me about NIL deals to help with current/future players for things they have done related to camps, NFTs, and exclusive engagements(dinners/outing, etc) that help provide NIL deals based on sponsorship form fans like us. It is all about raising money to do this in different fashions than just donating to schools.

Just check out this site as an example of something being done at Kentucky in the NFT space: https://ukbluechips.io/

It is not that Rutgers is so far behind the curve but there are schools that are really getting ahead of this and we need to get involved or nothing will improve. My friend was just meeting with Rutgers today to educate them on all of this so they are interested also.

if you are serious and want to get involved, I am happy to help facilitate. We can get a group of people together and meet with my friend to go through everything as he has explained it to me. Again comes down to making a commitment to put funds up to make this happen.

For example, that could be an exclusive group of people that help sponsor a camp that could have a series of players attend(NIL deals) and that could also include exclusive events with those same players outside the camp. Everything has to be surrounded by services rendered for this to truly be official for NIL capabilities.

While it is hard to divulge too much, this is a real world problem Rutgers needs to get out in front on and we all need to help do our part or fall further behind the curve...may not just be about getting new recruits but also holding on to our star players(hint hint)

If you are serious please DM me and we can get together as a group with my friend

I dont think hes going anywhere. I just think the fanbases judgement thinks hes this statue worthy coach simply because the bar was buried. I dont think he is imo. I think hes an average coach.
Statute? Hell, the way things have been trending the past few years, some day he might end up deserving something more on the lines of the Lincoln Memorial!! 🙂

Reactions: shields
How can anyone really weigh in without knowing the details?!
Btw.. when is his current deal up and what is he getting paid?

A few good weeks? I have followed this program since 1975. When before did we have a double -by situation? Never in Big East or Big Ten until now. He deserves extra years on his contract. A terrible take by KYK.

Results are ultimately all that matter, but W-L results are not what is most predictive of future results. It’s great we won that game, and amazing the shot Ron hit and how great a moment it was for our program, but like a lot of our wins this year, we were on the plus side of variance and shouldn’t expect these outcomes to be repeated. Just like we shouldn’t expect losing to Lafayette be repeated.

All this has no baring on my opinion of give an extension or don’t, I think you always give an extension there is no downside.

Lol so you want to get rid of an average coach and hire another average coach?

And you have no idea what I know and don’t know, lets just stick to the facts. I didn’t think it was relevant considering what Pikiell overcame.

Bottom line is Pikiell took over the worst P6 program and brought us to 3 straight NCAAs (2 if you don’t want to count the COVID year). An average coach wouldn’t be able to accomplish that. Pikiell has accomplished way more than your boy Boynton has so far (yes I understand Boynton is younger).

You’re basically a troll on this subject (much like your take on Jacob Young getting shafted here) and you know it lol.

After what Rutgers has gone through coaching wise Steve Pikiell is well deserving of a contract extension and raise. Posters are well entitled to question renewals but the guys record, decorum and positivity to a once moribund MBB program is much deserved. If you don’t think there are several programs out there who would love to interview him and pull him away then you haven’t been paying attention to the college landscape.

Lol so you want to get rid of an average coach and hire another average coach?

And you have no idea what I know and don’t know, lets just stick to the facts. I didn’t think it was relevant considering what Pikiell overcame.

Bottom line is Pikiell took over the worst P6 program and brought us to 3 straight NCAAs (2 if you don’t want to count the COVID year). An average coach wouldn’t be able to accomplish that. Pikiell has accomplished way more than your boy Boynton has so far (yes I understand Boynton is younger).

You’re basically a troll on this subject (much like your take on Jacob Young getting shafted here) and you know it lol.
Has pike accomplished more than boynton?

Has pike accomplished more than boynton?

Yes he has.

Not sure why you don’t think taking over a Rutgers basketball program (worst P6 program basically) from Eddie Jordan at a school like Rutgers that has way less support/funding than a school like Ok. State, laying out a plan to building an identity and team and then executing against that plan to take us to multiple NCAAS (something many previous coaches failed to do) is more impressive than anything Boynton has done so far lol.

Pikiell did all of this without hiring an assistant to get a big recruit too lol. Because let’s remember we’re talking about *coaching*

Reactions: RUBOB72 and Zak57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT