ADVERTISEMENT

Stipend Figures for B1G

Guaro316

Sophomore
Aug 29, 2009
Anyone know how the stipends are being calculated? How in the world does Penn State get to pay kids so much more then everyone else in the B1G?

I thought these things had to be capped somehow...This just looks like it will get out of hand very quickly, specially with that quote from Franklin.

Would like to see what SEC schools are paying with cost of living in the south being so "expensive".

Link

this should be interesting. How in the world can this stipend imbalance go through without creating a path of destruction? If the difference between the top and bottom was a few hundred dollars, maybe we can get away with it... but a difference of a few thousand dollars is major money to these recruits.

The stipend is based on cost of attendance.

Penn State players have to spend more money attending Penn State, the cost of KY Jelly and Proctology exams really adds to the overall expense.

The stipends will not be the same across all teams and the richest teams will get even better recruits than currently. Rutgers being one of the poorest will be in a deeper hole.

is there a max amount a school can declare? I would think most schools would go that route if they have the funds. Thats a lot of kicking around money while your in school. I used to get by on the $50 or $60 worth of meal money we got for traveling on a weekend w/ the track team.

Did you read the article? RU is 7th in then BIG, ahead of OSU and Michigan. Sparty is dead last. Just wait until Alabama determines their cost of attendance is $100K.

Originally posted by hinson32:
Did you read the article? RU is 7th in then BIG, ahead of OSU and Michigan. Sparty is dead last. Just wait until Alabama determines their cost of attendance is $100K.
That's my issue, it seems to me that the formula for determining the stipend is wrong if the Purdue and Indiana are that far off and if Happy Valley is that much higher than NJ.

So if the formula is that out of whack it will only be a matter of time before the Alabamas of the world are paying kids $20K, $50K and more pricing other schools out.

Originally posted by rutgersdave:
The stipends will not be the same across all teams and the richest teams will get even better recruits than currently. Rutgers being one of the poorest will be in a deeper hole.

So you didn't read the article.

Rutgers is ranked #6

Originally posted by RobertG:
The stipend is based on cost of attendance.

Penn State players have to spend more money attending Penn State, the cost of KY Jelly and Proctology exams really adds to the overall expense.
But the costs are reduced since there is no Dental.

This estimate of those miscellaneous expenses has for years been categorized as roughly 10 percent of the cost of an academic scholarship. The listing is mandated by the U.S. Department of Education in filings it uses to oversee financial aid. It was just never added in as a benefit for athletic grants before. Now, it will be.

"The definition of a full [athletic] grant has excluded that category," said Big Ten associate commissioner for compliance Chad Hawley by phone on Monday. "So, the rub was: Well, you say it's a full scholarship. That's a misnomer because you're not providing what it actually costs for me to be a student."

More columns, commentary from David Jones
The interesting part is, this estimated expenses figure, set by university budget offices and financial aid departments, has varied widely in the past from school to school. It's always been a somewhat arbitrary amount. Some who want their school to project an air of prestige and exclusivity don't mind at all if it's lofty. Conversely, enrollment recruiters, commonly want to keep it low so their schools don't appear too expensive to parents and students already overburdened by prospective debt.

But starting this year, 8-figure-budgeted athletic departments and their representatives will suddenly be keenly interested in this incidental expenses amount - because it has become a stipend for their athletes and is potentially a significant recruiting tool. And they will, of course, want it to be as high as possible.

Penn State coach James Franklin is on record recently as saying the expenses stipend is definitely on the table as a recruiting factor.

The questions are: How much effect will the inevitable lobbying of ADs on behalf of their coaches have on university financial officers to lift the stipend figure as high as they can? And will those schools with powerful athletic coaches succeed in tilting the field in their favor by raising the stipend to significantly higher levels than their rivals?

You might be wondering, where does Penn State stand? If you're a fan of college athletics, in a very good position - as it is right now, at the top of the Big Ten.

Based on cost-of-attendance figures cited by CollegeData.com for the 2014-15 academic calendar, Penn State ranks at the top of the Big Ten with a miscellaneous expenses figure of $4,788. If it stays the same next school year, that means $4,788 of walking-around money during the nine-month period for athletes who receive full grants in aid.

In contrast, Ohio State ranks a mere 8th in the Big Ten, currently designating a mere $2,454 of tuition cost to incidental expenses - barely half of PSU's amount. You would expect Urban Meyer, Thad Matta and their messenger, Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith, to have a say in doubling that number or more by July when schools must designate any changes. Same with Jim Harbaugh and John Beilein at Michigan whose incidental expenses amount is currently designated as a relative pittance - $2,054, 12th in the conference.

I would think everyone will max out to 5,000 as the stipend or it would have to be agreed upon by all P5 for a lower level.

But according to Shabazz Napier last year, these athletes are poor, and can't afford a hot meal!!! Remember??? Whatever you say Shabazz…...

I am not clear how this calculation is made? Is it a complex formula or just looking at the cost of tuition, housing, and meal plans? If it is outside food then Rutgers may be higher than some other schools because New Brunswick is not a true college town like some of the others. The local bars attract college students as well as local yuppy types. I have heard beers in Iowa college towns are much less than New Brunswick. If looking at food are the Easton Ave places cheaper than the places Penn St students go?

Originally posted by RUfinal4:
I am not clear how this calculation is made? Is it a complex formula or just looking at the cost of tuition, housing, and meal plans? If it is outside food then Rutgers may be higher than some other schools because New Brunswick is not a true college town like some of the others. The local bars attract college students as well as local yuppy types. I have heard beers in Iowa college towns are much less than New Brunswick. If looking at food are the Easton Ave places cheaper than the places Penn St students go?
One article said schools were calculating things like flights home. So a school like Penn State flights would be more expensive. I am sure schools are getting creative in coming up with amounts.

interesting since Newark airport is one of the most expensive airports (along with Ohare). When I traveled to the midwest for work my 600 mile flight would cost me about $450-500 round trip while people traveling twice as far from FL, TX, and AZ were paying around $300-350. A guy from New Hampshire that connected through Newark and took the same flight as me was paying about $100 less for each round trip. Maybe the State College small airport is very expensive vs. just driving to Philly for a flight.

THIS IS SO WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS! STIPEND SHOULD BE EQUAL.
IT COST MORE TO LIVE IN NEW BRUNSWICK THEN STATE COLLEGE
SOOOOOO WRONG!!!!!

Originally posted by imbazza:
THIS IS SO WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS! STIPEND SHOULD BE EQUAL.
IT COST MORE TO LIVE IN NEW BRUNSWICK THEN STATE COLLEGE
SOOOOOO WRONG!!!!!
Housing is already paid for. The rest (food, movies, etc) are not that different across the nation except in big cities (which only Minnesota and Northwestern really are in for the Big Ten.)

But basically - whats happening here is that its a made up number that existed before athletics had a need for it. For whatever reasons PSU, prior to this decision had a higher made up number than other schools in the conference.

The interesting thing will be whether schools raise the number to attract a few recruits, but in the process make their school seem more expensive than it is to the 99% who arent scholarship athletes.
This post was edited on 3/4 12:27 PM by derleider

The stipend is whatever the schools consider miscellaneous expenses. It's would be the amount in the presentation of additional cost on top of tuition and board which is on the schools website. The schools will have till June to adjust this amount so expect it to go up and maybe to the max. for the schools that place football first.SEC schools will be the max.

I wonder if the NCAA creates a basket of goods to use for the stipend similar to what economists use for inflation numbers.

Such a basket could include:
- cost of gasoline to get around
- pizza pie
- sub sandwiches
- soda at the supermarket
- movies
- cost to get to a major city to go siteseeing / partying
- cost of plane tickets to major cities
- avg cost to get to the school (based on avg distance the avg student lives away from the school - NJ would be low here since we have a small state while Nortwestern may be high as a private school)
- etc...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT