ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Minor to Moderate (2-4?) Snowfall Likely Sat morning (2/17); will be <32F, so expect slick roads

What town and county are using amateur forecasts from a free college football message board to make operations decisions?
Do you see those periods that separate the sentences? I used the forecast and thread. The town and county used the forecasts.

12ccaf8b83450e8402919836aa12e79ebdc7d55c.gif
Dems some big positive bursts fer sure.

No joke, channel 11 was broadcasting from downtown Metuchen. Lady said we just spoke to a man outside who was very excited about the snow.
Yes I just saw a report on news12 showing kids sledding across the street from our house... channel 11 was there also? Will post a pic of I can..

Reactions: MulletCork
Playing any golf? Oyster Bay, Thistle, The Cats, or Glen Dornoch?
Hadn't played in 3 years. (Spine surgery) ....but my friend came down for r a few days and Finally got out and played a round (Brick Landing).

Have passed those courses pretty much daily. Thistle and The Pearl look good but leaving in morning for next two weeks halfway between St.A and Daytona.

Reactions: knightfan7
Great prediction of where the band would set up last night... he predicted it to be between 40.2-40.5N (I'm at 40.5N), although he didn't say how much the band would produce...

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Two mesoscale events with whiffs in one week will source person on meteorology.
Remember in grade school watching one of those films on predicting the weather, where somewhere down south a big hurricane was predicted to his some locale, and at the last minute, after the gentleman in the video had just finished boarding his windows, heard the radio say that the hurricane would miss their locale. He through his hammer at the radio.

Better luck next time, with the guesstimate on snow totals.
Ha! I remember that one! It brought the house down in my class. 😂

• Love
Reactions: Knight Shift
We are probably in the same age range. Miss those film strips too with the beep to indicate to change the slide. The teacher's pet usually got to be the slide changer. I had that role many times.
I didn’t get that honor too much but I was never brokenhearted when a projector in some form rolled into the classroom. It was either a sub or our teacher may have been hungover! To all teachers, I kid, I kid…😁

Reactions: RU848789
Snow ratio time. I thought it was 15-20:1, but we actually got 22:1 - damn! Got 11798 cc of snow melted down to just 530 cc of liquid, so the 11.25" was only 0.5" QPF.

• Wow
Reactions: Joey Bags
We are probably in the same age range. Miss those film strips too with the beep to indicate to change the slide. The teacher's pet usually got to be the slide changer. I had that role many times.
...did you ever not pay attention, miss the cue and then the picture didn't match up with the audio from the cassette tape?

'Using the card catalog, you can look up a book by title, author or subject' (slide has a picture of a kid on the bus)

Joe P.

• Haha
...did you ever not pay attention, miss the cue and then the picture didn't match up with the audio from the cassette tape?

'Using the card catalog, you can look up a book by title, author or subject' (slide has a picture of a kid on the bus)

Joe P.
No, but I noticed when others screwed up. But that is like proofreading in our office. I read something I wrote, and miss mistakes. I read somebody else's work, and mistakes jump off the page. And my work usually has more mistakes.

No, but I noticed when others screwed up. But that is like proofreading in our office. I read something I wrote, and miss mistakes. I read somebody else's work, and mistakes jump off the page. And my work usually has more mistakes.
I think there's a specific term for that phenomenon; we basically 'read' what we write the way we wanted to write it, which can cause us to overlook grammar/spelling mistakes. One of my professors taught me to read my sentences backwards in order to catch mistakes and it works.

Joe P.

We got around 3 inches up here in Wayne. The driveway had pretty much melted by the time we went out early afternoon, still some on the car though.

Dems some big positive bursts fer sure.

I'm surprised she didn't give herself a black eye!

So somehow in what has been a crappy winter for many snow lovers we've overperformed on almost every storm... the 11.25" yesterday brings me to 24.5" for the season which is actually ahead of normal for this date. It's just nuts that we're 17" ahead of Central Patk, just 25 miles to our NE. I'll take it and run lol.

So somehow in what has been a crappy winter for many snow lovers we've overperformed on almost every storm... the 11.25" yesterday brings me to 24.5" for the season which is actually ahead of normal for this date. It's just nuts that we're 17" ahead of Central Patk, just 25 miles to our NE. I'll take it and run lol.
As much as I loathe snow, clouds and the cold, days like yesterday I'm happy for you bud. I'm always of the notion if it's gonna snow, then let it damn snow

I just wish mother nature would compromise and let winter be sunny; I'd gladly trade more snow if it meant more sun (and less wind/cold)

Can’t proof your own work. Never ends well.

• Haha
Yes I just saw a report on news12 showing kids sledding across the street from our house... channel 11 was there also? Will post a pic of I can..
Yeah she was on Main Street across from Hailey’s. Nice couple segments just obviously saying how much snow they got and also promoting the town some too.

Isn't that right around annual average? Did a quick search for New Brunswick and found RU's data going back like a century for a 25 inch annual avg.

May be too low once you factor in the #s backyard effect, though 😁

I was talking to a couple family friends from the RU meteorological/climatology programs earlier this winter and they think the CPK measurements the past couple of years are total nonsense and are either being taken incorrectly or they are measuring next to a heating vent lol. Something similar was happening at the EWR site.

Is there anything about our geography or location that makes predicting the weather harder than other areas?

Such as the mountains to the west then ocean close to the east?
The huge amount of people?

Are weather predictions easier in the Midwest where the topography is more consistent and people more spread out?

Is there anything about our geography or location that makes predicting the weather harder than other areas?

Such as the mountains to the west then ocean close to the east?
The huge amount of people?

Are weather predictions easier in the Midwest where the topography is more consistent and people more spread out?
From what I've seen even seemingly mild changes in elevation make fairly noticeable differences (I've seen it in central/southern Passaic County and Essex County this winter), where even in the same smaller towns the 'hill' sections have snow accumulation while the 'valley' sections have nothing on the ground. The Watchung and Ramapo Mountains pretty much run through the central portion of the state and I think they definitely affect things like snowfall (as well as the saltwater/brackish water from the Hudson/Newark Bay and south).

Joe P.

Last edited:
I was talking to a couple family friends from the RU meteorological/climatology programs earlier this winter and they think the CPK measurements the past couple of years are total nonsense and are either being taken incorrectly or they are measuring next to a heating vent lol. Something similar was happening at the EWR site.
OMG, you should go on the weather boards - it's a full blown conspiracy theory there, lol. I think it's just incompetence for the most part.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT